High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
profile=opengl-hq
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
tscale=oversample
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/DZ6kj5X.png
i.imgur.com/LqdfoM1.png
hastebin.com/quxexemome.md
vgy.me/KKh7x2.png
vgy.me/zDIjsH.png
vgy.me/xYW4vf.png
vgy.me/14lsNJ.png
imgur.com/a/ALwNc
vgy.me/Be9Mx5.png
vgy.me/z1DOI5.png
amazon.com/X-Rite-i1Display-Pro-Display-Calibration/dp/B0055MBQOW/
amazon.com/dp/B00UBSL2TO/ref=twister_B013E581HQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
displaycal.net/
amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNDIS-ColorMunki-Display/dp/B0055MBQOM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Put a GUI in or me and the boys from the genius bar are going to take you out to the parking lot and kick your ass.

What's the best monitor refresh rate for perfect playback?

depends on he framerate of the file you're trying to play back.

anime

Probably 120Hz. Should be able to play 24fps and 60fps without judder.

check the framerate of the file, then choose a refresh rate with an integer multiple of that.

i.imgur.com/DZ6kj5X.png - auto
i.imgur.com/LqdfoM1.png - settings

Ok so stats.lua doesn't show RAVU being active at all but I looked through the log and couldn't find any errors?
hastebin.com/quxexemome.md

I have no idea if my monitor is Adobe RGB or not, it's SM633NW, old as fuck.

Also what's a good website to compare pics? diff.pics is giving me errors

i think we found an avatar for wm4

wm4 hates anime

The only change for the vulkan RAVU is that it loads the weights in rgba16hf format instead of rgba16f. Technical explanation: Vulkan doesn't support bit-depth conversions the way opengl does, so rgba16f (which is 32-bit host float -> 16-bit float texture upload) does not work. The host data needs to exactly match the texture data for vulkan.

OpenGL does this for weird historical archaic reasons. It might be possible to either add rgba16hf support for OpenGL (half-float upload) on supported drivers, and rossy is working on some 32->16 bit float repacking code that would enable rgba16f support for vulkan as well, but those are just ideas at this point.

How do I screenshot properly the results from mpv? it always looks the same no matter the config

Check if your video is low resolution enough for RAVU to activate.

ctrl+s

You have to use screenshot window keybind (or sharex and save as png), this is if you want to capture scalers and all that.

RAVU is an upscaler, it won't need to do anything if you play a 1080p file on a 1080p or less monitor.

Try Ctrl-PrtSc

That's because your configs are all placebo.

Confirming this worked now, downloaded the new build, set cscale to Spline36 and used gather RAVU instead of compute.

Well that's that mystery solved. Can confirm it works with a 480p video file.

Why are there suddenly so many Windows users in these threads?

MPC-HC died.

Will try once Shinchiro's builds are out

I'm switching to Linux once 17.10 is out. Sorry.

>suddenly
you must be new here

hanna do you know what bjin is working on? also what do you think about his intentions to port RAVU to MPDN?

>actually calling haasn "hanna" now
don't pander to his fetish

>I have no idea if my monitor is Adobe RGB or not, it's SM633NW, old as fuck.
Sounds like it isn't
>Also what's a good website to compare pics? diff.pics is giving me errors
I just upload to 0x0.st

Washing colors is accuracy now, huh.

There is no madvr this was done with mpv, see replies.
vgy.me/KKh7x2.png -settings
vgy.me/zDIjsH.png -auto
1080p edition

ETA till Krig fixed to work on Vulkan

Just use RAVU.

Weird, it shouldn't work because vulkan doesn't work with rgba16f, which is what the compute shaders use as well I thought.

but does it work with ewa_lanczos if you use --vulkan-async-compute=no ?

>17.10
considering linux is currently at version 4.13, that's gonna take a while..

Well you only just added that commit to the PR so I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Since I'm a Windows faggot I'll wait for shinchiro

what's up with that dithering

Oops, meant Ubuntu.

Problem is your settings kills details sometimes or sometimes worsens banding, sometimes it's too dark, I am not hating on it the contrast can look really nice.
vgy.me/xYW4vf.png -auto
vgy.me/14lsNJ.png -settings

Sorry, i thought it would upscale and then downscale even if the resolution was the same as my monitor. But maybe that would just worsen the quality or whatever.

I dunno, it might be that I got the Vulkan-specific version anyway just that I don't remember it.

Using my own monitor profile makes some stuff that is supposed to look white yellow, for instance the windows photo viewer background, that's why I was using Adobe RGB which doesn't show that problem.

Comparison of the icc shit, no target-trc or target-prim in the conf file:
imgur.com/a/ALwNc

>Sorry, i thought it would upscale and then downscale even if the resolution was the same as my monitor. But maybe that would just worsen the quality or whatever.
Its OK, user. Common mistake.

Those settings you use must be wrong because on my IPS monitor (Dell U2414H) the second screenshot has no background. It's pretty much all black whereas the top screenshot has some detail in it.

>i thought it would upscale and then downscale even if the resolution was the same as my monitor
I think scaler-resizes-only=no makes that happen, not sure

For me target-prim auto looks the same as bt.709.
target-trc srgb looks way too dark in some scenes and gamma2.2 is kind of a middle ground.

Depending on ICC profiles used the results will be different for everyones. Just test yourself and decide yourself which looks best.

Same on my shitty monitor

>You might have to play around with --target-trc depending on the response of your monitor, other good values are =bt.1886 and =gamma2.2

>tfw have ICC profile and get perfect colors with mpv (icc-profile-auto)
>tfw my ICC means jack shit to madVR and wont work

Almost any TV can play 24hz content without judder.

Bullshit.

this is what happens when you actually have a calibrator and aren't a pleb using some calibration profile from a website

>tfw mpv and video-sync=display-resample works perfectly without any issues
>tfw mpc-hc, madvr and reclock never fucking works

>=gamma2.2
auto - vgy.me/Be9Mx5.png
gamma2.2 - vgy.me/z1DOI5.png

Sorry, the links are vice-versa auto = gamma2.2/ gamma2.2=auto

Gamma 2.2 looks like it's the "right" one.

Excuse you?

I only get the finest ICC profiles from tftcentral

Even the cheap 4K ones.

>being poor and not calibrating your monitors properly
why live

>People comparing colour accuracy by taking screenshots and viewing those screenshots on different monitors
That's pretty stupid.

How much is a calibrator?

FUCK IT IM BUYING THE CALIBRATOR

amazon.com/X-Rite-i1Display-Pro-Display-Calibration/dp/B0055MBQOW/

not much for a good one, don't buy datacolor their ones are shit

>=bt.1886
>target-prim=bt.1886
doesn't work, unless you meant target-trc
A little bit

gamma2.2 master race.

On my calibrated monitor, opening those two images (with --vf=format:gamma=srgb to match the --target-trc=srgb you set), the "-settings" version looks better.

thanks haasn :3

>$258.99
>Not much
That's probably more than most people's monitors mate.

get a job

get a sugar daddy

That wouldn't change the fact that it's still not "not much".

Spyder5EXPRESS+DisplayCAL
amazon.com/dp/B00UBSL2TO/ref=twister_B013E581HQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
displaycal.net/

srgb looks like the old funimation encodes.

>spyder
throw it in le garbage

Yeah that looks way too dark, which is probably due to a limitation of --target-trc. (mpv assumes a monitor with infinite contrast for its internal conversions. It would probably look better on a CRT)

My guess is that it would look better if you use --icc-profile=sRGB.icc instead of --target-trc/--target-prim.

how

The spyder software is shit I agree but the HW Calibrator with DisplayCAL is great.

But if you're going to spend money on better calibration, then it would seem incredibly stupid to buy a budget one, because then you'd probably still have wrong colours. Either do it well, or just stick with defaults.

Only way to get accurate colors is to use a colorimeter.

If you insist to continue using somebody else's profile, you could try setting --icc-intent=3 to disable white point adaptation. :^)

>Sorry, i thought it would upscale and then downscale even if the resolution was the same as my monitor. But maybe that would just worsen the quality or whatever.
RAVU by default only does this for a maximum downscaling ratio of 1.6. If you generate the RAVU shader yourself you can change or remove this limit, but be noted that there's no real reason to do so.

Did you calibrate your monitor? (And no, Dell's """factory""" """calibration""" doesn't count)

Can you get your monitor calibrated somewhere for cheaper instead of buying calibrater?

scaler-resizes-only only applies to mpv's built-in scalers (--scale etc.), not external shaders like RAVU.

By downloading your manufacturer icc profile.

1. you can generate a madVR 3DLUT using ICC. The tool back in the day was yCMS. haasn also wrote something based on LittleCMS
2. you can directly calibrate a madVR 3DLUT using ArgyllCMS

Yeah, by downloading an icc profile.

It's literally 99.99% compatible since monitor standards rarely deviate much. You may have to increase/decrease the brightness, contrast or RGB channels a tiny bit.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sup Forums - technology

can't you just use glsl-shaders-append to force upscaling?

What about doing the Windows colour calibration thingy? That generates a profile based on you selecting which grey squares are greyer and shit.

show off your programming socks in the right IRC channel.

You can get i1 rebrands / used colorimeters for cheaper. There's also this thing amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNDIS-ColorMunki-Display/dp/B0055MBQOM which afaik has the same sensor but is slower. The modern spyders aren't that bad either, just slow. And of course, if you're destitute-tier poor you can get a ColorHUG but it's slow and has massive QC issues. (Which is to say, it has zero QC)

P.s. throw all stock software in the trash, use ArgyllCSM. If you're a GUI babby faggot use displayCAL

If your monitor costs less than $500 you might as well throw it in the trash instead of trying to calibrate it, you'll never get a good result anyway. Honestly I would go for more like $1000 when buying monitors.

Nah user even a budget calibrator is a world of difference between that and an uncalibrated monitor.

World of difference maybe, but still wrong. I'd just cough up the extra bit then to be sure.

That has nothing to do with it. The shader *is* getting loaded, but the shader itself does a check to see if the downscaling ratio would be below 1.6 or not. If not, it skips the shader passes.