I've got a 2 story home, about 2000 square feet. The wi-fi is fucking god-awful. Got an Archer C7...

I've got a 2 story home, about 2000 square feet. The wi-fi is fucking god-awful. Got an Archer C7, and it just isn't doing it's damn job. What router should I buy? Ubiq? Google? Took 7 hours to download an update on Xbox last night...

Other urls found in this thread:

store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi?hl=en-US
costco.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-MU-MIMO-Smart-Wi-Fi-Router.product.100348087.html
amazon.com/gp/product/B015PR20GY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Took 7 hours to download an update on Xbox last night
Why do you think that's your router's fault?

this
even if you can't reach all the devices, you can at least put up more access points

There are things to take into consideration when using wifi, not just distance (signal dissipation) -- reflection, refraction, diffraction, scattering, and absorption.

In short. Use an access point.

By law your router can only have 1W maximum power going to it.

You're never going to get fantastic range from a single unit.

I recommend a mesh network with a wired backhaul.

Just because everything can hear your router doesn't mean your router can hear everything. It's a two way street with the poorer connection setting the pace. UHF is weird in itself anyways with echo and scatter, not to mention background noise.

OP here, any products to buy? I don't want to Google random keywords and buy the first thing I see. Also, I know the wifi is bad because wired works just fine, but I've got a console in each room that can't be wired sometimes (also my phone and laptop).

The google branded mesh wifi system has the capability for wired backhaul if you'd like.

store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi?hl=en-US

costco.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-MU-MIMO-Smart-Wi-Fi-Router.product.100348087.html

This is the router I bought from Costco and its been several months since I used it, with zero problems.

Change the Wi-Fi channel?
Change to 5ghz if you dont have many walls to penetrate?
Wire up your house or use powerline adapters?

>or use powerline adapters
Or MoCA adapters if he has coaxial runs in his house.

Buy a ubiq ac pro and use that. just hook it up your current router and disable wifi

I've got 2 channels, one on 2.4, the other on 5, both are slow. Wiring isn't an option, since I need this for my phone and laptop. Everything else is hard wired with ethernet.

If you're dead set on wireless you're better off wiring up some Ubiquiti AP's in the rooms you want.

Idk if your devices like the xbox use the 5ghz wifi but on the c7 the antennas handle the 5ghs fine. The 2.4ghz antennas are internal in the base of the device, so make sure nothing is obstructing the unit.

This is how we make a shit network into a functional one. Kinda rebels against the theme around here, but what you gonna do?

0. assus rog whatever...looks like spider
1. linksys ea6300/6400 and upwards (find the ones without cloud shit)
2. tenda ac1900 (i know right - they rock)
3. the trendnet one....can't remember the name

Friendly reminder that Linksys was bought by Belkin.
In other words, Linksys was bought with ignorant normie dollars.

Get several of these and install them properly instead of one shitty "do it all" router + wireless garbage.

amazon.com/gp/product/B015PR20GY

>using wi fi at all

Have fun with brain cancer

Get unifi shit. It's really good. Parents have a large place, I previously put 3 C7s in there running openwrt but it was always flakey as shit. I replaced them with 3 unifi ap lites and it's fucking flawless.

i have an asus rt-ac68u and its p good. covers my whole house but i have everything but phones/laptops plugged in

don't buy netgear and don't buy a nighthawk for the love of god

how do you feel about the ubiquity of 2.4ghz and 5ghz devices and how inescapable their transmissions are?

do you live in a faraday cage?

>buys a giant fucking mcmansion
>too cheap to run ethernet through the walls

>2000sq feet
>big
yuropoor

Somehow I doubt it's the routers fault.

Buy another cheap router for $30. Set it up as a swtich/ap and run a wire to it from your current router. Set the ssid, encryption and password to the same settings as your main router. Your devices will now roam.

needs more antennas

Get a power line...

Cheaper than another modem while providing better performances

powerline dude

At least you can get internet. I can only use my phones 4g it terrible

>buy repeater
>buy another router and set up as access point or wireless bridge
Do any of the above and put the device where it has a decent connection to your main router and your WiFi devices

Why?

>about 2000 square feet
I hope you have good ventilation

Access Point

>Implying non-ionizing radiation causes genetic mutation

>let's rely on a method that can range from terrible to decent instead of just buying some cheap UTP ethernet cable.

All those wifi-router combos are shit, try some enterprise router and enterprise access points.
ubiquiti unifi are great and no so exprensive.

Get a spectrum analyzer on your phone. You could have a neighbor with a router in the corner of their house closest to yours on a weird channel.

2 story home here I use Ethernet cable and put secondary access point. 2 routers are cheaper than buying 3 9-12dbi antennae.

Would any of you guys recommend a powerline adapter?

If running cabling through where you are is impractical, yeah I would.

I'm using TP-link powerline - never had any issues.

Ubiquiti and stuff by ASUS are both awesome, and business devices as well. Aruba for example makes nice APs, but I think you need a controller, which adds to cost.

I have an Archer C7, and it's mostly working well for WiFi, great for local stuff (probably, I can't get gigabit over LAN due to HDD speeds).