/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/Xfce#Install_Xfce_in_an_already_installed_system
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Generate_the_main_configuration_file
snapshot.debian.org/
github.com/powerline/fonts/tree/master/Inconsolata
packages.sil.org/
paste.debian.net/989539/
software.sil.org/products/
software.sil.org/fieldworks/
pastebin.com/EsR0mgLv
gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install GuixSD

what vpn should i use? currently running xubuntu

>font rendering autist is here

Hi, I'm G'Micky.
The g'mic mascot.

what does a vpn have to do with your os?

Is changing from using GNOME to a DE-less setup with i3 really painful? Meaning, is it going to be a dependency mess?

Should I just reinstall the OS from scratch without a DE or is it as easy as uninstalling gnome's main packages?

What distro are you using? It will probably depend on how well the package manager handles it. Theoretically you could just remove all the packages with gnome in their name but it could cause a dependency mess.

Debian Sid, I use aptitude to handle dependencies

I was able to do it on debian before. The debian wiki has a guide to removing gnome on the XFCE page here: wiki.debian.org/Xfce#Install_Xfce_in_an_already_installed_system

What utility do you folks use to take care of snapshots in your system?

So you have something to fall back on if some update goes awry or something like that.

thanks man

I don't break my updates.

You could try btrfs. It has built in snapshotting and I think opensuse uses it before updates. btrfs isn't exactly stable yet though.

I have two almost identical arch setups.
On my desktop when I reboot/shutdown, it happens immediately, no matter what I do.
On my thinkpad I often have to wait up to 2 minutes because systemd (?) is shutting down either loginmanager or the network share I mounted.
Why? I use identical configurations, lightdm on both and mount the network share the same way in fstab.

Welcome to the magic of systemd. This is why I switched to Gentoo.

Hi, everyone.
>tl;dr plz read it :c

I had previously dual booted Win7 and Arch and got a new drive and I'd like to do it again.
I already have windows installed with its 100MB default boot partition with /dev/sda3 full of free space that I wanted to make my arch install along with 4GB /dev/sda4 swap. I used pic related and followed it because it is almost exactly how I did it last time but used --target=x86_64-efi when I installed grub on /dev/sda entirely.
My problem is, i can get a base install but after i reboot grub only shows Arch linux and no option for windows. My shit solution is that I booted an xubtunu usb and when it installed grub it lets me get back into windows. I've looked for guides but none of them seem to answer my problem

Say I have package A, which depends on the i386 version of package B

Is there any way to switch the dependency of package A to recognize the already installed amd64 version of package B, and have it work that way? Or must I have duplicates?

use os-prober then update grub
Follow the arch wiki on dual booting

last time i used os-prober it said it recognized a windows partition but this time i get failed lvmetad type error.
how do i upgrade grub itself tho, or do i just do something like pacman -Sy

Please just read the wiki, it has every question answered that you're going to post

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Generate_the_main_configuration_file

nigga you act like i didn't read this shit a billion times

If you even read it once you would have solved your problem

>arch guide for retards
>infinality
>zsh
overmeme'd

>infinality
made me kek

>archlinuxfr
>yaourt
this pic should be illegal

Uninstall GuixSD
Install Gentoo

Uninstall Gentoo
Install GNU/Linux

>GGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

>tfw I discover the existence of Debian snapshot archive

Holy fuck this is so cool. Excuse my newfagness, but still. This is neat as hell. Downgrading in case of some quirk or bug in a sid upgrade is super easy with this

snapshot.debian.org/

how come some of my fonts are funked up on urxvt?
it's set to inconsolata for both terminals

>implying i went to step 3 or above

Uninstall Linux
Install BSD

>arch
>infinality
>zsh
>systemd-boot
Absolutely Horrifying.

there is literally nothing wrong with zsh

stop shilling garbage.

Not sure how it is supposed to be done but you can specify mulitple fonts in URxvt.font seperated by commas. So you can put a fallback one with lots of symbols at the end.

>REEEEEEEEEEE how dare people talk about BSD in my Linux circlejerk thread

Name 5 good reasons to use BSD instead of GNU/Linux.

know your place bsdscum

Best way to transfer an Arch install (with all applications & data) to another laptop? I do not want to go through the painstaking hours of customising everything again...

I tried Clonezilla on arch but it crashes during one of the option selections.

redpill me on bsd without using memes

self hatred.
penance for sins.
masochism.
Jackie Chan.
special snowflake points.

Format the laptop from a live disk then use rsync then update your fstab and chroot in to update initramfs and install and update grub.

any good ssh client for android or should I just go with putty ?

>during one of the option selections.
Cant reproduce, its on your end
post logs if you want help

You forgot less GNU/autism.

juicessh

What DE should I use?

>using an install guide other than the wiki of the distribution
>using some 2 years old outdated shit made by some autist
>installing a distribution without any software to avoid bloatware and then installing any piece of crap someone told you to install

GGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

don't suppose anyone knows off hand how to change the font in urxvt when loaded via cssh?

Merging in ,Xresources changes them for normal urxvt, but not when loaded via cssh for some reason.

post xresources

KDE

perhaps need the powerline variant?

github.com/powerline/fonts/tree/master/Inconsolata

why is bsd vs linux a thing? why not be friends

had the powerline variant already, but i guess you needed to type in the fonts in lowercase? did end up setting up a fallback font too. so werks now. thanks.
been bugging me for a couple weeks, but was too lazy to fix it.

Is there a nice bitmap font for japanese?
I'm using wqy-bitmapfont - Bitmapped Song Ti for chinese, but thats only half of the fun.

Hi, /fglt/. I want to install btrfs in a luks container on Gentoo. Reading the documentation, a lot of it revolves around adding a keyfile to a second medium. I'd rather just have Gentoo prompt me for a password when I'm booting up my computer, since I'm only encrypting one partition and will have a separate EFI boot partition. What do I have to do to make this happen? Is it as simple as adding dm-crypt to the runlevel? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Because GPL zealots won't stop redefining words and imposing their own ideology onto everyone else. There is nothing wrong with proprietary software, and everyone should have the FREEDOM to use proprietary software if they would like to.

The one that I'm using.

packages.sil.org/

How the fuck I install this software on a linux that is not ubuntu? I can't download any package and the site just tell me to use ubuntu software manager to install it. Never saw anything like that.

I'm using mint, by the way. Isn't possible to use synaptic for this?

Mint is Ubuntu, you dolt.

Tripfag.

Yes just use synaptic or gdebi.

You should be able to follow the procedure outlined for ubuntu on mint too, did you miss the link to the sil-repository.deb package? Anyway, here is the script from that deb: paste.debian.net/989539/

sorry, didn't realised I'd left it on

Thanks for your consideration, user.

what the heck is that software for?
don't really understand

Transcendence.

pajeets

software.sil.org/products/

What do when compiling?

masturbate

Xorg vs Wayland?

detach

read hackernews

I'm just plain dumb then. The instruction of the site is a long text explaining "open the ubuntu software center and click on install hurrr". Tried using synaptic and failed, tried to install the ubuntu software-center and it can't find "fieldworks" nor "wesay". How can I do it using that .deb package?

software.sil.org/fieldworks/

It's a linguistic software.

>How can I do it using that .deb package?
Download on it and double click. Or use dpkg -i path/to/the/sil-repository.deb
That should register their repo with software center etc so do and update to refresh the list of packages then search for the package you want again.

i renamed my home dir on ubuntu cus i wanted to change my username now my computer is rip, how2fix?

login as root, make a new user account and move the content of /home/oldusername to the new /home/newuser.

thank you :*

There's no helping someone this stupid. The best you can do is just pray that they learn how to read the documentation.

I have ubuntu. I installed a bunch of desktop environments to mess around with and decided to stick with gnome

How do I uninstall all the other ones that I don't want anymore and all the crap that came with them?

What's the cheapest webcam with linux drivers? Want one for my beaglebone for computer vision.

Installed i3-gaps on Debian went into /etc/i3/config to add
#GAPS
gaps inner 10
gaps outer 0
smart_gaps on

Refreshed it and nothing happens
Am I doing something wrong?

pastebin.com/EsR0mgLv

Does this work for Arch?

I'm not sure how to "purge, I mean it" completely other than pacman -Rdd pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa.

Then, there's apparently no /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file.

Was I not supposed to delete pulseaudio-alsa?

>Am I doing something wrong?
ricing?

:(

are you testing in a workspace with more than one window open?

>/etc/i3/config
copy to ~/.config/i3/config

Update, I haven't restarted yet, but my audio still works just the same. So guess I didn't actually remove pulseaudio.

which browser on ubuntu?

When you upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu after originally doing a minimal install, does all the bloatware that comes with a regular install get included with the upgrade?

>after originally doing a minimal install
no, it should just upgrade to newer versions of the current packages. The thing to watch for is when new stuff gets added to metapagackages like gnome-desktop. But for a minimal install that shouldn't be an issue.

It shouldn't.

Whats a good license for a simple shell script?
Should I use GPL?

It is not worth the trouble to use copyleft for most small programs. We use 300 lines as our benchmark: when a software package's source code is shorter than that, the benefits provided by copyleft are usually too small to justify the inconvenience of making sure a copy of the license always accompanies the software.

For those programs, we recommend the Apache License 2.0. This is a pushover (non-copyleft) software license that has terms to prevent contributors and distributors from suing for patent infringement. This doesn't make the software immune to threats from patents (a software license can't do that), but it does prevent patent holders from setting up a “bait and switch” where they release the software under free terms then require recipients to agree to nonfree terms in a patent license.

Among the lax pushover licenses, Apache 2.0 is best; so if you are going to use a lax pushover license, whatever the reason, we recommend using that one.

gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html

>install ubuntu in VMware fusion 10.0.1
>login
>see this
wat do?