Wireless cards: so I bought a tp-link from newegg, its a piece of shit...

Wireless cards: so I bought a tp-link from newegg, its a piece of shit. My issue is it seems that every wireless card has a wide dispersion of reviews, even the more expensive cards have about the same mixture of shit to good reviews so i can't just go for a "quality card." Can anyone recommend a PCI wireless card that works well with windows 10? What cards is Sup Forums using in your custom builds, how are they working for you?
pic related: its the tp-link TL-WN781ND

Other urls found in this thread:

ss7.vzw.com//is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Verizon/Ellipsis-Mifi6620l/User Guides/internet-vzw-jetpack-mifi6620l-ug.pdf
asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC56/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cable

i am using a wireless hotspot, i live so far innawoods i dont have a modem

>wireless n

upgrade to ac

what is ac? literally the only internet i can get is cellular i am that isolated. no fiber optic, no cable, none of that, i just have a mobile hotspot from verizon that i must interface with to connect

you also want to turn your transmit power down until your received strength is about -67dBm, otherwise you're just competing with yourself for airtime, and your wifi access point can't "hear" your laptop when it hollers back.

-67dBm is like two people having a normal coversation

-50dBm is like the AP screaming in your ear even though you're standing right next to it

I said laptop, but it applies to any wifi NIC

turn the transmit power down on the wireless card? or on the verizon hotspot?

i am looking at some AC cards, i see this is newer/faster than wirelessN, however the reviews are the same in that there is always some 10 percent of people who get piss poor signal out of the card...maybe its the transmit power issue that is talking about... i need specific card recommendations

have you heard of b/g/n? ac is the next new technology, uses a totally different spectrum of radio: 5GHz. b/g/n are based around 2.4GHz.

thing is, if you're innawoods, you'll get further propagation on 2.4, but 2.4 has a lot of things that can interfere with it. trees, water, microwaves, bluetooth, all of that interferes with 2.4. 5GHz is not affected by any of that, but because it's got a shorter wavelength it can't go quite as far, however the data throughput is 4x better.

anyway, if you can't upgrade that's fine, just lower the transmit power on your access point to around 10% and see what your RSSI is where you usually use your computer. Just keep dialling it in it until you get as close to -67dBm as you can.

Use a wireless ISP if you must, but that doesn't mean you have to go over wireless from your PC to your router and then again to the ISP. Connect the PC, router and hotspot together with cable.

on the Verizon hotspot

>use a cable

for what purpose? the wifi transmits at minimum 40Mbps faster than the internet connection, and that's if he's getting the theoretical 100Mbps up/down. on a Verizon hotspot he's probably getting nowhere near that.

there is no need for the hinderance of a cable

ok so turn down the transmit power of the verizon hotspot thing until on my PC im getting a lower dBm on my computers wireless card, im assuming i can use TP-Link's wireless utility thing that came with the card to see this statistic.... also can i even use 5 gHz with a mobile hotspot, im not sure what frequencies they can put out....

yep, you've got the idea.

also yeah idk what model of hotspot you have, but it probably can't do 5GHz, though it may. just have to check online, or in the settings

If your house is old and your PC is up against a wall you won't get any signal. Have the antennae away from the wall or, preferably, use Ethernet. It's so much better if your computer isn't moving.

you want problems, OP, try finding a wireless card that works with pfSense

alfa, you pleb

Okay, how far is the PC from the hotspot?

Not very far at all => it's close enough to use a cable, and then you could use a cheapass cable and have things work, as opposed to the fancy wifi card that you came here to bitch about not working.

A couple rooms away => now you're dealing with signal attenuation so you're not getting anything like the advertised speeds on that wifi.

Ok so i looked through the "settings" on this "jetpack" by verizon. I did not see any option for signal strength or anything of the like. I did see an option for a "band" which was set at 2.4 gHz, i did not attempt to change because i dont think my card does 5.0, but in case any1 is wondering It appears to have that option.

Going to try moving it away from wall, i have an external antenna and it has been up against the wall so...

O lord, my current internet is so fucking bad i have enough problems, literally throttled down to speeds of about 150 kpbs after my first 10 gigs of data are used (LTE) or whatever the fuck, then it feels like im on dial up

buy any router and use as a bridge. easy

pretty sure most people don't care about getting as close to the theoretical maximum as they can.

rule of thumb, you divide the advertised speed by 2, and that's what you can usually expect to get. you can tweak it to get it slightly better, but following this advice is going to sort out most of the problems you'll encounter.

ss7.vzw.com//is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Verizon/Ellipsis-Mifi6620l/User Guides/internet-vzw-jetpack-mifi6620l-ug.pdf

the hotspot is probably no more than 20 feet away, its in an ajacent room, one or two stud wall in between it and the antenna. on my laptop (thinkpad lenovo T420) with an intel centrino n-6205 i am getting 5/5 signal bars and getting the expected throughput of data. The laptop is right next to the computer with the wireless card i was talking about, but its on the ground.

if i can get the wireless card to connect on the tower (tp-link card) it gets only 2 bars of signal, maybe 3, but either way behaves like complete shit, usually just doesnt work at all even when connected

looks like it does do 5GHz band settings, but if you have that card in your OP pic you can't receive 5GHz

yes this card appears to be a complete trash heap, i have gotten it to connect now, the TP-Link card has 1 bar of signal, the intel centrino N6205 on the laptop is getting 5 bars. The Tp-link signal will intermittenly shoot up to 5 bars, then drop down to 1 bar of signal. I have not been moving the case/ anntana away from the wall or moved the hotspot yet.

the transmit power is probably under one of these three

also if you have an iPad, tablet, or phone made in the last 3 years it should support 5GHz, so you could put it into mixed 2.4/5 to reap some benefit on those devices

also, i notice with this card there is an option to connect to my friends phone as he has a hotspot going on his...the signal for the phone connection is stronger, yet his phone is further away than the mobile hotspot....wtf

I have a Asus PCE-AC56.

Works well on Windows 10.

another thing you can do is try rotating the jetpack by about a quarter turn. wifi doesn't propagate evenly in all directions. it has lobes. you might just be pointing the blindspot right at where your computer is

also, if your antenna on your card is right next to: concrete, a wooden stud, or the wall, move it. it's not helping

works great on windows 7 and 8 not sure about windows 10. I had it for 2 years and it works like a charm.

asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC56/

i got some third party software, the card is recieving wifi at about -91 rssi, which from what ive read is the BARE minimum to even have a connection

when the hotspot is basically right next to the pc i get -69 rssi

No, they're all shit.

>pretty sure most people don't care about getting as close to the theoretical maximum as they can.
If they're coming on here to bitch about their wifi card not working well, they certainly aren't getting the performance they need.

What about interference in the 2.4 GHz band? Are there shitloads of other wifis visible? Do you have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone? (Some of those go on killing wifi even when there's no call.)

You should at least get the TL-WN881ND.

yeah some reason i saw this one, i think id had a large number of reviewers, and of the mixes, i saw this one had a fair number of 5 star, particularly with windows 10...it may be there is something in the wall in between the access point and the machine, i got the signal up a bunch having the two closer together, but then again the laptop gets 5 bars going through the same wall, its in the same position as well, it stays solid connected.

yep, it's too low. move it closer, or increase the transmit power if possible. If you can buy an external antenna for the wifi radio do that. otherwise, if you have a spare wifi router lying around, see if you can connect them via WDS, and just use the wifi router as a repeater for the jetpack. you'll get much better signal

the laptop may be connecting on the 5GHz band though. you need to check

my laptop on the ground with no external antenna , literally in the exact same spot as the PC (with the TP-link card) still gets 5 bars of signal
pretty sure its on 2.4, because there is a band option on the hotspot which is set to 2.4, i dont think the hotspot does dual band like using multiple settings, its 2.4 or 5.0 all devices.

>laptop
I was talking about the jetpack

o i c yeah i think i know of a good solution, i can just use the mobile hotspot on the laptop and leap frog, would still like to know why a standalone card with an antenna gets poorer signal than a laptop card on a refurb machine thats like 5 years old...but o well ill make it work for now

the asus cards reccomended on this thread are relatively expensive, why buy a card that can do 500+ mpbs per second network when most people wont get more than 10 or 20 mpbs down from their ISP? also, the reviewers are very mixed with whichever card you buy off the egg, why not buy a cheaper card with a similar review spread?

i have never seen so much retardation in a single post. you only limit transmit power when you have multiple APs close by, and if you do you bother to use a controller to manage it for you.