/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00HVLUQW8/ezvid02-20
amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-380-PRO-Headphones
warosu.org/g/thread/61583523#p61587638
north-america.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/1000/
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-plus-universal-iems
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I dont even care about headphone I just came here for lolidom.

>Budget
~130 USD. Pretty flexible budget. Also looking for a good microphone and DAC (not included in budget)
Headphones + DAC + Mic I'm looking to spend around $200 - $250.
>Location
USA
>Source
Need advice on a DAC.
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfort is important. Current headphones are Logitech G35's and it starts to feel like it bears down on head after several hours.
>Sound signature
???
>Past headphones
Turtle Beaches that I though were good back when I was into gaymin.
Logitech G35.

I know pretty much nothing about audio quality. Any and all advice is appreciated, like what to actually use good headphones for. I plan on data hoarding and looking towards getting into private trackers so I'll probably find worthwhile content there, but until then I'm open to suggestions.

HD600 master race.

You may not need a DAC.

You only need a DAC if your PC's audio is audibly noisy/hissy. Skip the DAC elsewise.

AKG K553. M40x with new pads. Status CB-1 with boom pro mic. Brainwavs HM5/XPT100

Care to elaborate? I was under the impressions that integrated motherboard (DAC?) quality isn't exactly up to par and that using that with high quality headphones is a waste. I don't really know anything about the topic so pardon my ignorance.

Uhh I have some shitty 13 year old speakers that gets a decent amount of static as you raise the volume. It's probably the speakers fault honestly but if a DAC isn't that expensive (like $40) I wouldn't mind buying one.

Is your PC's audio audibly noisy/hissy through headphones?

Mobo DACs are usually competent these days. Wasn't always the case, but is now. tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

Oh yeah. I also have glasses so I can't have something that is too tight on the sides of my head or it gets uncomfortable.

I don't notice any background hiss or noise on my headphones but they go through USB so I'm not sure of that really applies.

USB headphones have their own DAC inside. Do you have any non-USB headphones you can test this with? Also, are your speakers powered speakers? Powered speakers usually get hissy at louder volumes regardless of source.

third feet pic in a row, I appreciate you OP

Hello fellow anons,
I'm looking for a noise isolating headphone, not a noise cancelling one (with an active noise cancelling meme that drains battery) in other words something that covers my ear and will stop this fucking annoying traffic sound even when my pc plays no sound.
>what about quality
I really don't care, was using my iphone earbud when I was playing witcher, it only became problematic after I moved closed to a highway

Cheap ones (below 100$) are preferred I'm thinking about buying this, amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00HVLUQW8/ezvid02-20
Do you have any reccomendations?

Yeah I figured as much. Speakers need to be plugged in to outlet so yeah. Would it be worth the test with $10 earbuds? If a DAC is under $50 I really don't mind picking one up though. I've saved up a small sum of money and am trying to enjoy some of it before I start to actually have responsibilities.

>Would it be worth the test with $10 earbuds?
Yes. Do it. If the audio is not audibly noisy/hissy through the earbuds you do not require a DAC. $50 is $50. Rich people stay rich by spending smartly.

Etymotic Earphones. HD380/280 pro

I got this bravo amp a couple of years ago, but I haven't used it in a while. I just got a schiit modi and magni used, but the magni came with a dead PSU, so I'm using this as the seller ships me a new PSU. I like it, but sometimes it picks up wireless interference because of the open case, which is why I haven't used it in a while. I haven't noticed much lately though, as long as I keep my phone away. I decided to order a GE tube to try in it.

Etymotic MK5. You won't even hear a nuclar explosion go off.

>tube retard
Typical Beyerdynamic owner.

hd 280 pro or etymotic mk5

Yeah I don't notice any hissing or background noise. I didn't realize a DAC was just for signal purity. Do you have any microphones to recommend? I got a lot of headphones suggestions above if you have any recommendations there. Thanks a lot for the help.

Thank you
I assume you mean this and its old 280 version
amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-380-PRO-Headphones

This would work even with no sound playing right? I don't want to buy it only to realise I must always play something on my pc to block off sound.
Sorry for the extremely noobish questions, again iphone 5 earbud was my choise to go for the last few years.

If you're going to get headphones that it will fit in, V-Moda BoomPro. If not, Modmic or Blue Snowball Ice.

modmic

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

kek. I like my dt770s, since they are built well, and the parts are user serviceable. They have been my main headphones for three years.

>since they are built well

HD650s

Those look like someone sat/stood on them.

Fellow Hue here, try the sales section on the HT Fórum, lots of audiophiles selling and buying headphones there.

It's a long-term stress fracture design flaw rather than a short-term accidental thing. Multiple anons in /hpg/ have fallen victim to it.

>Multiple anons in /hpg/ have fallen victim to it.

source

It would be nice if someone made a replacement part made of metal.

prove that anons have fallen victim to it

warosu.org/g/thread/61583523#p61587638

I remember others in the past but these are two recent examples.

Metal on metal sliding mechanism may cause scratching; this is probably why the part isn't metal to begin with, I imagine.

it's the same guy

The crack is clearly worse in the older post than in the newer post, Beyer shill.

There is an internal plastic piece that contacts the metal arms, and that is separate from the part that breaks. You might have to use different screws for it to work right though.

north-america.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/1000/

>Budget
$70 aud
Want comfy headphone set with a mic to talk to people with. Less than $50 would be ideal
>Location
Aus
>Source
Um USB?
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
?
>Past headphones
?

Don't get USB headphones.

But I want usb headphones because I have my speakers plugged into the pc and don't want to fuck around every time I want to talk to someone

USB headphones offer tremendously poor price to performance ratio. They will never be good to begin with because nobody serious about audio ever buys USB headphones and they typically combine a poor DAC, poor amplification and poor headphone drivers in a poor enclosure and charge out the fucking ass for it.
Get good non-USB headphones and a Fiio E10k, which has a headphone jack in the front and a line level out for speakers in the back.

Is there anyone selling genuine Piston 3's at this point in time?

Hmm sounds complex, why not just get some comfy usb ones that will do for listening to the sort of thing that happens on discord and asmr?

If you don't care about sound quality then just get something in your price range that looks comfortable and stop bothering us about it. We recommend good sounding headphones here for people who want good sounding headphones.

>Budget
$100 - 150 aud, flexible
>Location
Australia
>Source
standard 3.5mm
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
closed
>comfort level
comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time
>sound signature
meh
>past headphones
some shitty fucking razer krakens

preferably looking for something that i can spend all my days NEETing around in like a fucking loser

lmaoing @ ur life pleb

HD471, HD569, HD598Cs

What is the HD600 of IEMs?

Etymotic ER-4SR

ER4

HF5+82ohm adapter= ER4S

www.ebay.com/itm/301984920451

>le elitist is elitist meme

idk what there is in my price range man. Thought you guys might help me

I doubt anyone here knows shit about USB headphones. We don't care about USB headphones because they're fucking shit m8.

Yeah they seem super overpriced to be fair.

Still a hassal

>idk what there is in my price range man
>I literally do not know how to find websites that sell headphones in Australia on the internet, type usb headphones into said websites' search boxes, hit enter and then sort by price
C'mon man.

They bullshit you with ones that have a jack for audio in and "usb for lighting xD"

Its shit mate

I've heard that the ER4 is a bit sterile and analytical sounding compared to the HD600 which is at least slightly warm and musical.

I thought by "HD600 of IEMs" you meant "best IEM." ER-4XR for the slightly warm version. It is objectively inferior as it is objectively less accurate and if you purchase it instead of the ER-4SR you are a plebeian, though.

>warm and musical
That's the HD650 user.

The HD650 is irrelevant since the revision.

Only a complete fucking retard would buy ER-4XR instead of ER-4SR, like, the kind of fucking retard who would spend several hundreds of dollars on Chinkshit headphones with a rollercoaster treble response and a Chinkshit amp.

What are some headphones with an extremely cold and tinny sound signature?

AKG K701/702, Audio Technica AD700/900, Etymotic ER-4B

HD600

Friendly reminder that balanced armatures are worthless and are incapable of producing the natural sound that a good dynamic is.

emacs > all

Does there exist over the ear cans with the isolation that IEM's give or should I just stick with IEMS?

I can't explain it but I absolutely love the isolation IEMS give. Even when not listening to anything it's nice to be in total silence.

I plan to grab a pair of ER4SR in a few weeks since everyone seems to love them and they have the best isolation of any IEM or headphone for that matter.

Bose QC35

>Does there exist over the ear cans with the isolation that IEM's give or should I just stick with IEMS?
hd280 pro, you can try noise cancelling headphones from bose

er4sr is a solid choice but you may not like the fit

Does hd280 pro isolate sound on its own if you just put it on? even if you dont play any sound?

Not interested in Bose, I may just get a pair of mid range, close back cans.

>er4sr is a solid choice but you may not like the fit

I'm using some triple flanged tips with the IEMS I have now and I love the way they feel in my ear. ER4's shouldn't be an issue.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

HD569 or HD380 Pro. The latter if isolation is a priority.

yes it does
er4sr has amazing sound quality if you like a neutral signature, check out the er4xr if you want more bass

Why do you have schiit stack and fulla 2? Is the sound different?

I use the stack home, the fulla2 at work.
But, in this picture, I was playing with it home.

Change Log:
- Add data for HE-560, Elear, LCD-2, ESP-950, HD 800, TH900, HD 800S, Ether, Utopia
- Add K702, K712
- Use < $list-price when amazon doesn't supply the value because 'price too low to show'
- Use ~ $estimate-price when amazon is sold out or whatever

Addition candidates:
- Samson SR850
- Philips X2 hi-res
- AD500x, AD900x, AD1000x, AD2000x

Contested:
M40x is listed as "Neutral w/ gentle bass boost", some contend the bass boost is not gentle and that the sound is v-shaped

Additional comments:
The initial first pass version of the guide is complete. The second pass will involve adding/removing headphones, offering better upgrade suggestions, and correcting existing data.

So anyone in /hpg/ plan to buy the next Massdrop meme? DESU, $299 ain't a bad price.

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-plus-universal-iems

you're also missing the AKG K553

Just noticed you have the 400S and 400i, just get rid of the 400S, it's literally a worse version of the 400i.

and the DT250 should also be put on there. K553 and the DT250 are some of the top closed backs under 200

Yeah I was wondering why the 400S is even a thing when putting together the guide. The 400I is the better one and the list price is ~$200 higher than the 400S except in reality the 400I is usually cheaper than the 400S. I brought this up in a previous thread but no one spoke up so I just let it slide.

Best bluetooth headphones to get for on the go?

WH1000XM2

What are some good IEMs around 100–250 USD?

1more triple/quad

GR07 Classic, LS200, TFZ King

Anyone own an Emotiva A-100? Did the mod for the headphone out, but there is a pretty noticeable static noise. Haven't tried it unmodded since I haven't had the time. But has anyone else had this problem?

>I've triggered this person to a point where they feel the obsessive need to make references to me before I've even posted in the fucking thread.

Lel. Post your headphones fuckwad

kek, pleb triggered.

>Budget
Depends.
~100 yurobux if non-disposable like Shure SE215
>Location
Germany (Germanistan)
>Source
iPhone SE, soon probably XPS13 too
>Type of headphone
IEMs
>Sound signature
Idk. I mostly listen to 98-2006 Trance and Shoegaze/Dream Pop if it helps. I like dreamy stuff in general.
>Past headphones
IEMs are not worth mentioning, just some 20 yuro Sony ones that break after a few months every time.

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros tho, so I am used to good sound and I would love to have IEMs that are as close to it as possible for commuting.
The Shure SE215 and Sennheiser IE60 look interesting to me, but I don't know much about sound stuff.

Btw is there a way to test IEMs before buying?

You're going to need to post an anime girl before you can get a response.