VIM/EMACS

what is the appeal of emacs/vim?why are there people who purposefully kick themselves in the balls with a fucking terminal text editor.im not even joking,sell this shit to me because i literally cant comprehend how can anyone be so masochistic.

IDE's:
for c/c++ code::blocks , visual studio , eclipse....

for c# visual studio , xamarin studio , rider

for java intellij , eclipse , netbeans

text editors:
gedit,notepad++,atom,visual studio code,sublime text

what do you need vim/emacs for that you cant use a real editor/IDE?

people around here regularly suggest people make their lives even more inconvenient for zero reason outside of Sup Forums rep

welcome to 2017

>2017
>not setting up emacs/vim to be a full-fledged IDE
When will plebs learn?

vi works well through ssh
X11 forwarding does not

this

>fixing code on the production server rather than just automating the deploy process
Sounds like something a pleb would do, yes.

dude,are you an international super secret double agent spy or what?why the fuck would you need to write code through fucking ssh?

I use sam, ed and acme. But i can tell how good vim is.
These editors give better efficiency and they just work. You dont need an editor for a language. I often get confused by most ides and even editors like atom. So at least for me it'd be masochistic to use these. except sublime its decet.

emacs macros /are/ my deployment automation process

meanwhile you're running 5 different programs to accomplish the same thing

First off, vi works really well over ssh. In my line of work, I work remotely from home, and I can't even do it on my own PC - my company gives me a laptop to work with and even then, the machine I develop on is in a lab somewhere in another state. I can't use those fancy IDEs because the software I develop uses a shit ton of proprietary software that nobody is authorized to move from that one lab, so all the development must be done remotely in all sense of the words.

Second, vi *is* incredibly useful. That's why fancy editors like Eclipse, Netbeans, even Visual Studio have a vi extension.

It's quick and easy to use from inside the terminal

that's pretty much it though

There are a lot of guys who really enjoy being kicked in the balls. CBT and ballbusting is a very popular fetish.

>meanwhile you're running 5 different programs to accomplish the same thing
I use vim. I just don't ssh into a bunch of different remote systems to develop, that sounds tedious and unstructured and require that I set up my development environment multiple places and have user accounts everywhere.

>what is the appeal of emacs/vim?
>why are there people who purposefully kick themselves in the balls with a fucking terminal text editor
>why
>a fucking terminal text editor

>what is autoconf?

>that sounds tedious and unstructured

do you understand how emacs works? those workflows consist of a few keystrokes

I used vim, but switched over to Atom.
Both are good.

Nigger, user literally said that he ssh's into remote systems to CODE, not to build only. Also autoconf works locally to, you know? I almost exclusively reconfigure and build locally with different configs and push to remote instead of having to switch between multiple terminals to debug compiler errors.

See and

serious question,how the fuck does people using vim/emacs make GUI's?i mean you have state of the art modern gui development tools in visual studio,android studio,intellij, hell even code::block if c/c++ GUI's with gtk+ or wxwidgets is your thing,oh and qt creator too.seriously how do you emacs/vim guys make graphicsal apps teach me.

>emacs
>terminal text editor

why the FUCK would you run emacs inside a terminal?

the myriad features in the graphical interface make emacs worth using

there are gui frontends for both.

We run an external tool do drag and drop GUI components, like Gtk+.

emacs isn't a terminal text editor, if you wanted to you could literally browse the fucking web in emacs

I recently built a site for a client using emacs macros alone, I set up a REPL in my browser and built my site component by component

>with a fucking terminal text editor.
both have graphical interfaces

>how do you find food? I've been sucking from a titty for my whole life, please feed me

>what is the appeal of emacs/vim?

Some people edit text for a living instead of just meming around.

>The strive for simplicity makes you simpleton, the strive for complexity transforms you into a pentadimensional rubik cube.

Quote from - Anonymous

every Sup Forums user understands this quote, if you don't the don't hesitate to explore it by using your unique gift, be a hero and transform your sould into pentadimensional rubik cube. Also if you dont reply your mom will die while a sleep.

how many gb does Visual Studio require to run again?

>how many gb does Visual Studio require to run again?

about 125000 gameboy devices per gigabit i guess

>notepad is only 2mb i guess its the superior editor now.

foldmethod=syntax or foldmethod=indent? What is your code folding workflow?

>Using an editor that requires as much ram as a AAA game and as much space as a AAA game to function makes an editor good at all

I use an editor when I don't need all the functions of an IDE. All major IDEs have vim plugins, so you can use vim commands in them, hence it still makes sense to learn vim.

I wrote my own widget library for my game with libsdl (SDL_gpu specifically) in vim. It's not hard, just super painful, but this actually a game engine. Not just simple widgets.

I'd probably just write in Qt if it wasn't a game.

Hotfixing code in production has never been easier.

Sure you can do everything by the book, but you won't.

>Vi has add-ons for visual studio
Holy shit this. I've been using nvim for months in my free time and last week I just figured I'd try for a vi keybind add-on for VS. I wish I knew about it sooner, I've not been disappointed with it

IDEs are a crutch. I can literally already use emacs and vi on every platform with every language, even when there is no graphics card on the machine.

this. Why is Sup Forums more and more shit every-time I visit it. Literally worse than Sup Forums

vim
YouCompleteMe gives you code completion.
NERD gives you file tree
Etc etc

What can you do with an IDE that you can't make vim do?

Just makefiles, autoconf and the like. The rest is in the code or in some cases like win32, a metadata file.

I think my most recent UI was in FLTK with some direct win32/X11 code for some things that FLTK couldn't do. No metadata for that one except for a png file, the rest was all in the code.

I use emacs for everything. I use it to read email, as my RSS reader, as my password manager, as my text editor, and to browser various sites (obviously not all, but that could be accomplished if someone wanted). Emacs is the only program I need on any computer given I have my .emacs.d file handy. This approach is not for everyone and I don't expect many people understand why I do it.

hey do you have a github link?

>what do you need vim/emacs for that you cant use a real editor/IDE?

Outside of WYSIWYG UI design, they can both be given the exact same features as all those other editors, except they're several times more responsive, available on just about any platform, and OSS.

For a strictly text editing propose, would you say vim is better?

It's up to you. Do you want a simple program that only exists to edit text? Then use vim. Do you want infinite extensibility ? Then use emacs. If you like vim keybinds, there is always evil mode for vim keybinds in emacs.

Right. I think emacs goes against the Unix philosophy of 'do one thing and do it well'. I'll learn emacs one day, and I think I'll not use evil mode just so I can appreciate it for what it is

$ ed ex.c
i
#include

int main()
{
printf("screen editors are for shitters\n");

return 0;
}
w
!cc ex.c; ./a.out
screen editors are for shitters
!
q

The only time I use vim/nano is for quick edits of shit I wouldn't bother to boot up even SublimeText.
And I don't care at all about either of them and I will never recognise them for being more than the absolute bare minimum like notepad on Windows.

I touch type. Learning to use vim is like learning a musical instrument. It removes the middle layer of thought between 'wanting something to happen' and 'having it happen.' I command my computer to do something with my mind and it obeys with no effort on my part. I edit text like I walk or breathe. Vim is an extension of my brain.