Which is better: Pins on the CPU or on the board?

Which is better: Pins on the CPU or on the board?

on the board theyre harder to fuck up

it's the same shit, you have to be a brainlet to fuck either one up

the one with the better processors (lga)

>tfw bent a few pins

quantum entanglement.

liquid metal on cpu die get rekt. AMD

why can't they do something with magnetic electric field

this.

i bent a few pins before installin cpus shitfaced. luckily that was back in like 486DX2 days so i could just straighten em back out with tweezers when i figured out what i did wrong. id hate to have to try and unfuck a modern cpu like that.

>on the board theyre harder to fuck up

How? I've seen far more motherboard sockets fucked up compared to bent CPU pins.

prolly cause more sockets have the pins on the mobo and not the cpu

>being so much of an ape you manage to bend pins

On CPU is better.
Pins on motherboard are way more finicky, and when you bend something you are very fucked.
Also often it is not very visible, you have bad contact and CPU malfunctions without you knowing why.

Pins on CPU are more durable, they face straight up, so even if you bend them (you shouldn't if you remember how to remove coolers), restoring them is quite easy and realistically doable.
They also say PGA sockets make the CPU+mobo net cheaper, so that is also good, in addition to being safer.

And one more thing: with PGA, you only have risk of damage when removing CPU. With LGA sockets on Intel, both removing and installing is tricky and you can fuck up the motherboard if you touch something or you drop something on the pins.

Use micropencil method, quite easy.

PGA is more durable
once you bent the pins on the lga. ur fcucked

I bent pins on my very first mobo with pins on the board.

They are not as durable as pin on chip in my opinion.

(I fixed it by using a syringe needle and bending up but it was painstaking)

BGA. Anything else is for faggots

hook / spring bend pins on mobo to flat contacts seems more delicate than straight pins into a socket
you could snap one of those spring pins if you apply too much pressure but pin sockets have that plastic grid which stops you

>better
I honestly don't care and it really doesn't make any difference to me at all.

I buy some motherboard and some CPU and install it and it works and I'm done.

If pins on the CPU had a huge performance gain over pins on the motherboard then perhaps I'd care but as far as I know that's just determined by the silicone inside the CPU.

I think PGA is better. I am usually very careful when installing and removing CPUs but I still managed to bend 3 pins on an LGA board a few years ago by reinserting that plastic cap they provide that's supposed to cover the socket - it wasn't quite seated properly and locking the socket forced it down onto some pins. I was able to fix the board with a needle but it's still something that wouldn't have happened with PGA.

not sure, i haven't owned anything with pins on the mobo

>Boys Generally Asian
faggot

fpwp

>having to seat your own CPU

Poorfags lmao

whichever is less expensive.

that said it's generally easier to fix bent pins on the cpu itself rather than on the board.

The only reason LGA is a thing is because if you fuck up your pins, it's much cheaper to replace your motherboard than it is to replace your CPU.
So LGA all the way.

It's easier to fuck up LGA pins than PGA pins, and easier to fix PGA pins than LGA ones.
So PGA all the way.

Well I think you're just a [spoiler]totally reasonable person and I respect your opinion[/spoiler]

latency

>pins on cpu
>pins get bent
>just straighten them out

>pins on mobo
>pins gets bent
>buy new mobo

Seems one is objectively better.

Now that bare LGA boards are finding their way into flea markets, consignment and thrift stores I've seen quite a number of them and not a single one has had an intact socket. Every last one of them stored capless in bags (often not even antistatic), with circles or ovals of bent pins in the socket, presumably from the thumbs and fingers of workers ignorant of what they're handling or shoppers just poking at them.

You can pull out PGA cpus with cooler, and that's way more likely to damage something than you are to be a flipper handed freak who keeps dropping shit on the socket.

> Pins on the CPU
This because those can be easily fixed.

>ctrl+f
>induc
>0 hits

shit thread everyone here should die

Wireless CPU

define better

I've never seen a PGA CPU not come out with the cooler, seems to work fine.

Why not both?
>2 x the pins 2 x the power
>Balancing the pins on one another is a fun game to pass the time

I'm still waiting for Intel to release a cpu with pins on the top too so I can stack them together like my cubeworld collection.

That is why if you feel the cpu is stuck, twist the cooler instead of pulling it. Physics 101 famalam

this. CPU pins are plenty durable and you have to REALLY fuck up to bend those.

>Cubeworld
Hooooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I remember when those things were cool as fuck and blew my mind

Or maybe I was just fucking retarded back then

its easier to bend back pins on the cpu, but its also more easy to fuck up.

catch22 famalam

>twist cooler a little to make the thermal compound come loose
>cpu stays in the socket
whoa, it's really hard

definitely better on the motherboard. if I buy a $400 CPU and accidentally bend a pin I would be shitting my pants trying to bend it back, and if it broke off I'd kill myself.

I had a ryzen for a second, but I returned it because only dumbasses buy AMD, and I was so relieved when I could install the i5 I got instead and didn't have to worry about bending any pins.

Motherboard pins are impossible to knock down even if you are a noob.

And yet an order of magnitude more difficult to fix if you do. I dropped my 1090T once and bent a bunch of pins in the corner. Took about five minutes to bend them back with the edge of a knife and it was fine.

i read
>Or maybe I was just fucking retarded bLack then

Which did you pay more for, the cpu or the board?

>break cpu
>can only buy same or upgrade
>break mobo
>can downgrade if old mobo was overkill
I guess if money is tight you rather buy a cheaper mobo and stick with the performance you have. If money isn't a problem I'd rather upgrade my cpu instead of the mobo

Pins on the CPU.
Correcting pins on a motherboard is borderline impossible, and bent pins on a motherboard happens far more often.
Also there's no dreadful crunch sound when you lock the socket.

I don't understand how anyone is so retarded as to bend pins in the socket.

The people on Sup Forums are legitimately retarded.

Much better to have them on the mobo. In the vast majority of cases you will have paid much more for the CPU than the mobo. Better to have the CPU indestructible and the mobo delicate.

If I broke a £50 mobo, I'd kick myself but it wouldn't sting too hard to just replace it and move on. The CPU costs anywhere from 3-6 times as much, so I'd really feel like shit throwing that much money away.

T. Intel

thats why you warm up the paste with some workload before removing the cooler.

I prefer ZIF Sockets