Overclock is stable in every program except Prime95

>overclock is stable in every program except Prime95

you should really tune your overclock per application. my stock 4790k fries itself on prime 95 while water cooled. I don't even bother with "stress tests." If it blue screens during my application then I make changes

>>overclock is stable in every program except Prime95

Then it's not stable.

Which would be an issue if he was hosting the New York Stock Exchange, but he's not. Learn the concept of mean time between failures – for most people, a bluescreen once every month or two is stable enough for daily use.

My issue was I can get 4.0GHz "stable" in every game I've tested on Ryzen, but Prime kills it. I'd have to lower the clock to 3.95 or increase the voltage uncomfortably high. Will probably just keep doing what Ive been doing, if a game crashes I usually just increase the voltage by 5mv.

you're fine. stress testing is a meme that puts unreasonable load on the cpu. your stress test should be the application that will be used

Well if its stable in a stress test it means it should be absolutely stable everywhere else don't knock stress tests.

Newer versions of Prime95 that use the Awhateverwhatever instruction set are the cause of the ridculous thermals. I forget what the last version to use the older "regular" instructions is, but if you get and run that older version it should be a closer simulation of a gaming/"normal" workload.

Source: I freaked out when I tried my first overclock a couple years ago and Prime95 turned my CPU into a ball of fire. Did some digging and found that little gem of knowledge. The "older" version is the far more appropriate, proper stress test that doesn't make your CPU want to kill itself.

battlefield 1 on max settings is the most cpu demanding gaym I can think of. if you don't own you can get it for a month for like 4 bucks from access.

if you only do gayming then thats the stability benchmark, not prime95

>having to second guess whether every single program crash is due to your overclock, for an unnoticeable increase in autismhertz

why do people do this?

What build/ver is this "old" one?

Literally what I'm experiencing now.
Aida64 and cpu-z stress tests are fine, actually gaming + streaming is just fine, but prime95 immediately just knocks out one of my cores.

99% when my OC fails, its when its idle or some shit. Stress tests are never the issue.

>undervolt works fine while the cpu is idle or while it is being stressed by prime95/cpu-z/intelburntest
>tfw crashes happen when playing csgo
i don't want to use fucking csgo as a cpu stability tool what the fug

damn, its supposed to be the other way around

what

Prime95 is a torture test. It doesn't simulate real world loads at all, it hits your CPU with the hardest it can get to check for errors.

>real world
>Pi is not calculated in the real world

Well, if you want a stable overclock you check with Prime95 (in-place large FFTs for proper CPU stress).
If not, just delete Prime95 from your PC and go on playing games.

Yeah I don't get the point of AVX, with CPU-Z I don't get hotter than 70 degrees, but with Prime95 I actually hit Ryzen's thermal limit and shutdown.

>I don't get the point of AVX
Fast calculations

4790K here as well. Same situation. Prime slaughters chips. If clocks are stable with the Asus Bench, it's good enough.

Mine was capable of 4.8 on air at 1.275v. But the machine has been in pieces for months now.

>program actually uses cpu
>cpu gets too hot
>it's somehow the programs fault