Graduated last spring with a computer science degree

>graduated last spring with a computer science degree
>finally got my first real job
>it uses literally zero calculus, differential equations, or any of the other autism I had to learn at university

What's the purpose of leaning all that stuff in college again? To weed out shitskins or something?

I really feel like uni could be 2 years if we cut out the autism

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-montana-man-sentenced-german-student-20150212-story.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

And here we go with another stupid job thead.

To make more money off you ofcourse

You might get use for it if you do something useful. whenever you deal with anything changing then calculus and differential equations are great.

How is calc, diff equations, etc "weeding out shitskins"? Maybe the blacks and the latinos but all the other brownies do the best in those kinds of classes.

But also, they want to know that you have the ability to learn.

It's for interview questions.

>uni could be 2 years
>implying unis want half the tuition money
>implying creditors and the government want to collect half the interest on loans
>implying publishers want to sell half the books
>implying college board wants you to take less AP tests now that you don't need them to skip classes
Their entire monetary ecosystem would crumble. Unis would sooner find a way to make every bachelors a 5 year degree.

People easily learn what they're interested in. The reason most people drop out of a major is because they have to take so much shit that's not directly related to their major.

I. E. if students could strictly take the computer science classes and skip useless shit like calculus you'd see better grades and more computer science majors

There's all these walls that shouldn't even have to exist, we need to let people learn the subject

Why are you complaining? Calc for undergrads in the USA is a fucking joke. Try the russian books, see how much you actually know.
You'll see if you ever do something serious like computer graphics and not webdev.

This makes sense as an argument for American universities, but I went to a really shit bloated public one in Europe, for practically free, what's the reason there? Same but for tax payer money instead of my own?

I'm not complaining I just find it funny how I had to take an entire year's worth of classes that weren't even directly related to CS. Literally nobody here at my job uses calculus and my job is full of computer science and software engineering grads

this is how college is, look up the class curriculum for any major, all of the classes that DIRECTLY related to that major specifically are only two years worth of classes at most

the other 2 years of classes is filled with bullshit that you will never use

>best in their classes
*field

>for tax payer money
Very likely. Using public education as a guise for taxation is usually bulletproof because "I don't want a stupid society" types, also it'd be a living nightmare trying to deal with the massive layoffs resulting in not needing a shit load of humanities profs anymore.

I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and all I do all day is work on 4 machines in a factory and make sure they don't stop working while also making sure the assembly line workers don't chimp out

I haven't used calculus in fucking ages and I don't think anyone else here at this plant has either

>webdev is easy
it's not all css you know (and even css is harder than linear algebra)

Would you trust somebody to replace you if they failed all calculus and above math classes they took in uni? I wouldn't, that's the sign of someone lacking something more than just math knowledge.

>differential equations
jokes on you nerd, my school's CS program didn't go past calculus

This is very incorrect, at least at my uni that has a yuge CS program. People fail out of CS not because they have to take PISS FUCKING EASY gen ed classes, it's because they can't pass theoretical computer science.

They're directly related to CS but CS is not directly related to your job.

How do you design a digital filter? Obtain the Jacobian matrix for a back-propagation algorithm in an artificial neural network.
You need calculus and more to get to make audio/video codecs, any other DSP and ML.

I would trust somebody who took strictly mechanical engineering classes and more condensed curriculum to replace me

I can understand taking calc 1 and physics 1, but calc 2&3, physics 2, and all the basic chem I took were a complete waste of time.

Really my program could have easily been 3 years if they cut out a lot of the shit

You studyed computer science not to become a computer scientist so it's all your fault.

not to weed out shitskins. It's to stop creative white males from graduating and succeeding because math, apart from PhD tier, is basically just rote memorisation and human calculator. Programming is harder than math because you need to understand the bigger picture.

How could you take mech e classes without multi-variable calculus or emag?

>The reason most people drop out of a major is because they have to take so much shit that's not directly related to their major.
Source?

Not like it's relevant; you should have to be a well-rounded student and take some classes outside your field. College was never intended to be a vocational school you fucking moron, and if you can't find value in maths, natural sciences, humanities etc... then you didn't deserve to graduate in the first place.

most people dont care about value they just want a job

most people are going to college so they can get a job moron, the year is 2017, not 1917, people don't care about being well rounded anymore, colleges are 4 year vocational schools

Go to a vocational school then faggot, instead of bitching about degree requirements that you knew you were going to have to fulfill before you even enrolled.

>it's the CURRENT YEAR!

Okay Cletus, you have to understand the basics to do real math.

Because universities think that perhaps one day you might aspire to be more than just a loser code monkey programming modals in AutismJS.

The more advanced a job you do, the more important those mathematical aspects of the field become.

People get a CS degree and then become GUI programmers, it's a fucking joke.

This. I'm German and I always thought that Calculus 1 == Analysis 1, then I visited a friend in NY and took a look at their Calc book.

>single variable derivation/integration
>calculating instead of understanding
>not a single proof

Can't even get high school diploma in Germany without that.

most of the math I ever needed to solve some problem is easily accessible online
yet I still think math is important, but university programs could probably do with less math

>germans force students to learn shit they don't need to know just to finish highschool
>they also actively encourage their women to be raped by africans

Yeah hans, keep coping.

>complaining about calculus of all things
I had to take classes about how the native americans dindu nuffin and white people are bad. And random things like genetics that teaches punnet squares the same as I learned in elementary school

How to spot a butthurt Murritard who's never been to Germany. When even the refugee cities are safer than your average American suburb, you know education is down the shitter.

latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-montana-man-sentenced-german-student-20150212-story.html

In Germany don't you have different tracks by middle school?

>rob people
>get shot
nothing lost

>work a dumbass noskill job
>wonder why they teach sophisticated things at university

Math raises your iq
Iq makes you better at noticing patterns and solving problems
Life is easier with a higher iq
Niggers often cant reach the required iq to pass the maths

So youre half right OP, but also you're basically better at life simply for passing that

Yes, though it boils down to two tracks. Learning a trade and going into academia. The trade school track is shorter and basically a shortcut for people who don't care about what is considered the "general matura", you can finish school one year earlier and become an apprentice. The other track basically ends with the German Abitur.

>As a matriculation examination, Abitur can be compared to A-level, Matura or the International Baccalaureate Diploma, which are all ranked as level 4 in the European Qualifications Framework.

Also, you can just go to a profesion school if you want it easy, though i dont know how hard it is to get a job after grading that

His point is that the current education system has nothing to do with academia, it's all about getting job requirements now and almost nothing else unless you go for a humanities degree.

damn...Kaarma's a bitch :D

Although I'm not yet done with uni, I've already seen real-world example of programming and ICT infrastructure and I can say that you only need Algebra (all), and Discrete Mathematics (some important parts). If you're gonna develop gaymes then you'll need Physics.

Honestly, I don't get why we need to take bullshit classes like Calculus and those liberal brainwashing platforms disguised as Social Studies (History, World Issues, etc.) and Humanities (Philosophy, etc.).

I'd cut down the bullshit so uni students can save money and bring down the age of workplace entry to around 16 at most.