Linux: restart whenever you like

Linux: restart whenever you like
W10: restart when we tell you

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/server/livepatch
youtube.com/watch?v=sxXs0Yy5-0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

And I don't even need to restart anymore, for some reason all upgrades on the Linux distro I use need no restart.

Which distro would that be?

To be honest, I didn't think Debian needed a restart after a point release upgrade, but I videoed the upgrade through the terminal and noticed this line when pausing the video. I totally missed it at the time since everything flies past so quickly. Turns one does need to reboot, but not necessarily at the time.

W10
For normies:
>delayable (up to a month or something) automatic restarts because they can't be trusted running an outdated machine
For "powerusers":
>restart whenever you like

>Linux: restart whenever you like
not if you use system-d/linux

Devuan, but I presume Debian too can be turned like this depending how you use the repos.

Yeah, the Linux kernel is heavily modular and can be patched on the fly. It is rare that a restart is required. There's a reason it's popular for servers. When uptime is important, would you really want an OS that makes you restart every time there's a security update? Or would you prefer an update mechanism that could be run automatically every day without disrupting service?

Maybe that will change with custom kernels. I mean, desktop specific customization happens now with the work of Kon Kolivas so if performance needs an upgrade some people will prefer such radical changes to the kernel and if they need stuff like rebooting often then users would do it anyway.

Bullshit.

>2017
>rebooting when convenient

Modern technology is good enough to make better choices for us then we are able to do. Linuxtards do everything manually while we windows users get everything done automatically. We are told when we can use the computer and when we can't. It leaves us capacity to make other kinds of choices.

>desktop specific customization happens now with the work of Kon Kolivas
Has been happening for years now, no?

> if performance needs an upgrade
No. These things will help certain desktop use cases but overall it's usually not more performance.

It's *maybe* more pleasant allocation with maybe actually a bit less performance.

idiot, even if you use system-d you don't have to restart shit if you don't want to.

This is really poor trolling.

Lurk moar.

this
>have to manually update through a terminal
>vs
>use the computer as you normally do, it detects when it's not in use during your sleep routine and reboots, signing you in and resuming programs

south american freetards love going on and on about how progressive they are, when in reality they're nothing but luddite barbarians.

>Linux kernel is heavily modular and can be patched on the fly
Every kernel update will require a restart.
There's technologies like livepatch that can patch a running kernel but most distributions don't officially support them because it's hard to maintain.
Those that do are making it into a paid service ubuntu.com/server/livepatch
Non business users get to have up to three machines registered for free so that they can be used as testing grounds.

Fun fact, 9th Oct 1939 was also a Monday. How weird is that.

>Personal users of Ubuntu can subscribe three machines (laptop, server or cloud) free of charge.
It's a low barrier solution if you want make money with high cluster fags.

You are implying a lot in there m8.

>it detects when it's not in use
youtube.com/watch?v=sxXs0Yy5-0Y
looks like its not in use to me

/thread

Stop denying the truth samefag.

It was a new ip.

any distro that uses poetternig+dbus/systemd

>videoed the upgrade through the terminal

>he has to reboot to replace dbus
Fuck Poettering. I can restart dbus all day without rebooting, thanks to Gentoo.

>configure this
>OS still forces me to restart

Placebo.

>configure this
>OS never forced me to restart or even showed a message telling me that I should restart

>linux
>do system update
>dependencies updated
>programs already running nolonger work
granted its only been an issue a few times. leave the system on and do updates but dont actually restart for a couple weeks and shit nolonger just werks.

restarting is not replacing, nice brain

>restarting is not replacing
It really is in the case of daemons. When you restart a daemon you kill the process in memory and start it again from disk. If a newer version is on disk then you are replacing the older version that was in memory with the newer version when you restart.

About 0.14 weird