Can anything actually be learned from these devices?

Can anything actually be learned from these devices?

Yes if you're not a retard so in your case no :(

They're for building, not learning.

I'm going to use my pi to automate my curtains, so it automatically draws the curtains at the same time that my alarm goes off. Also, so i don't have to get off my lazy ass to open and close my curtains when I'm at my computer.

Yes. You learn that you shouldn't buy every (chink) tech shit shilled by people

They're small computers that happen to have I/O and are involved in a large number of community-made projects, so absolutely.

I'm using them for SIMD optimizations with ARM NEON. Then again, I'm not a hobbyist

yes.

My school is too cheap for either for our senior project; we are using tivaware.

Do you do any actual development on the boards themselves or do you just deploy to them for testing your optimizations?

I actually got into C programming from dicking around with an arduino

yes, I learned how to use Linux terminal by playing with one and trying different things.
I also learned about webhosting, SSL certificates, DNS and VPNs.

In terms of "education" they're probably not necessary but they give windowsfags an excuse to dip their toes into Linux (as long as they don't just follow a guide and copy+paste everything)

>Can anything actually be learned from these devices?
Yeah, but you're not one of those people. You need an IQ over 90. Try to respawn with someone with a brain.

Most of the Tiva boards are way more powerful than Arduinos stuff.

just use your own computer and dual boot linux if you cant deal with PATH.

Of course. How could I develop for ARM NEON without being able to test it? I guess I should mention that the optimizations themselves are what I'm interested in, rather than developing some application and then optimizing as an afterthought

Funny how you never see windows fags in embedded threads. I don't think they are even aware that computers exist beyond PCs and phones

>How could I develop for ARM NEON without being able to test it?
Obviously you are testing it on the board, I was wondering if you actually used the board for anything other than just running the tests.

Not really. I got it especially for this purpose. It's for my job. I might get one eventually for home use just to play video on my tv

to not buy them

you could do all that on a $5/yr vps

I can see these things as being useful for prototyping something, but using the actual device as a central component in something is asinine.

t. unimaginative brainlet

but using a VPS has no end-reward for most windowsfags.
Your average person would take interest in a pi for emulation, Kodi or maybe a shitty NAS.
So wanting a cheap consumer product drives them to actually try linux on the most basic level.
A VPS doesn't give them the carrot on a stick they likely need.

why waste your time doing something that takes 10 seconds. spend your time solving bigger problems

>$5/year vps
do those even exist outside the iron curtain?

>NEET hobbyist needs to automate curtains cause he's too lazy to stand up and walk across the room
these are the kind of guys that will call you a wageslave

I'm exaggerating a bit
ramnode has low end VPS's with similar specs to pi for $15/yr

>Kodi
I know this off-topic for learning, but I would like to know..

Can these devices play full HD video on a GNU/LInux distribution alright? Or to put it differently, are these boards good enough to be used as a HTPC/top-set box yet?

fine, but trust me, i made a server and a surveillance system with them

>to not buy them
This. If you have a plan and/or a purpose then go ahead and buy one.

If you don't then it's a waste of money since it will just go in a drawer or collect dust on a shelf. Don't just go buy one because they seem "cool".

I use my Pi to run mdk3 in deauth mode with an illegal 5 watt jury-rigged wifi adapter (fcc can't enforce shit)

I hook this setup to a big battery pack and shove it into a backpack I then take a walk around town with it or stop a the local library

That's Jerry rigged, not jury rigged

Yes, definitely. Can also stream from my NAS (1080p60) without lagging. It's not the most professional setup like people here recommend, but hard to beat at that price. I use one of mine as a kodi-box everyday.

user its 3 in the morning I really dont care enough to check my spelling

they're okay, I use one as a secondary for my 2nd TV while I have an Nvidia Shield Tv for my main living area.

They'll run 1080p content depending on bitrate and codec, etc but HEVC and likely 10bit is a no-go.
If you're transcoding it from a more powerful device it's no problem of course.
Nvidia Shield/Intel NUC will eat up everything you throw at them but obviously they're many times more expensive.

>implying neets need alarm clocks at all

>Can anything actually be learned from these devices?
How to waste a lot of time and money making shitty "automations" you can buy pre-built and full-featured for a couple of bucks.

yes, you learn that everything around you is just a dumb chip manufactured by lacy developers waiting for you to be reverse engineered and hijacked

Respectively C and Python.

I don't do any "learning" but I use my Raspberry Pi to flash Libreboot on Thinkpads as a service.

>$15
you can get an rpi for that much, so whats your point?

The Raspberry Pi was partially designed to teach kids Python on a budget.

but much freeedumbs

It's a good lesson on not buying shit you don't need

Neither rpi nor adurino is completely free IIRC, RPI still uses binary blobs for the graphics driver.

Arduino should be completely free.
At least software wise. The AVR internals aren't open.

Yes
I am a windowfag and last year I bought a pi to make a LAMP server.
I learned stuff about Linux, networking, and hosting.

Sure. On the extreme budget where they literally can't afford a computer or virtual machine on their parents computer.

NEETs need alarm clocks more than anyone. Holding a good sleeping pattern when you have nothing to do is hard. An alarm can fix that.
And NEETs are often more prone to depression. Which would also be worsened by poor sleeping habits (such as none at all).

i only use it for retro gaming and movies(recalbox and kodi). if you consider that learning then i guess so

Can the Pi handle playing HD movies on it, looking to buy one just to plug into a tv to use as a media box?

There's probably an IC component for what you want to do. Probably ten times cheaper than a pi

>wasting a $35 SBC when a $1 μC will do the same thing

I got a 15$ orange PI and learned those things before paying 90$/y for a VPS. After that I repurposed it into a shitty media center.