How common are superstitious beliefs in your country?

How common are superstitious beliefs in your country?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tXsxvdF481I
theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/08/saudi-arabias-war-on-witchcraft/278701/
pewforum.org/2012/08/09/the-worlds-muslims-unity-and-diversity-4-other-beliefs-and-practices/#_ftn22
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

can someone teach me how to do squiggle writing and freak people out?

>if you just know what's happening, little kid. You would've shat yourself. This is not a playing matter. This is a life being harassed by the jin by black magic. If you think this is funny, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Slovenians have several:
>staying on the draft too long causes cold
>as much as pan-frying with olive oil causes it to burn or even catch fire
>sitting on cold earth causes infertility in women
>drinking wine when you have a cold will worsen the infection

Another globally widespread misconception is that the Muslim ban on pork has any factual basis or utility. This is not the case.

>utility

Avoiding meat, any meat, is good for your health.

How are shadow people treated in your country?

We expel them from our country. Why do you think Dilma's dad went to Brazil?

DELET THIS

IM STUDENT IN SLYTHERIN I WILL AKADVRA YOU FAGGOT

This

This is most likely another superstition spread by people who subconsciously hate themselves so much that they want to die ie vegetarians and vegans.

>9gag

>mfw told by parents I would "catch the wolf" if sitting on cold ground
Še vedno sem previden čsi.

Interesting, here popular medicine teaches that warm alcohol will heal the flu. There are even special recipes for it, mostly made from black tea with rum and some spices.

The most basic medicine here is šnops (schnapps).

Memes aside, slavs in general are very superstitious. The amount of superstitions are in the hundreds. Here's a few:
>putting bread upside-down is bad luck
>dropping food means someone you know is hungry
>sneezing without being sick means someone is talking about you. People would then ask the closest person for a random 3 digit number and the sum the individual digits and then translate them into a letter and supposedly a person whose name starts with that letter is talking about you
>going back home because you forgot something after leaving is bad luck
>before leaving the house for a long period you have look around and make sure you haven't forgotten something
>don't walk over or jump over graves or the corpse will turn into a vampire

youtube.com/watch?v=tXsxvdF481I

Thread song

Black magic is serious business for muslims, Saudi Arabia even has a special police unit to hunt down sorcerers.

theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/08/saudi-arabias-war-on-witchcraft/278701/

I concur
the amount of people who believe in Djin and other shitty magic stuff is super fucking high among muslims

Meme aside witch is basically "sell drugs to poison people"
It's quit normal to chase those dangerous persons, at least here.

Here, it's sneezing. When you have the hiccups, it means someone is jealous of you. Also, people say "Res je" (It's true) when people sneeze, for some reason (I'm not really sure why).

The digit thing you mentioned reminded me of high school when smokers would take off the little sticker with the register number from the cigarette box, then two people would take hold of it and tear it in half. Then they'd count the numbers and the letter would correspond to a surname of a girl.

>looking at fire will make you pee yourself at night

btw, red wine always worsens the cold for me

I fucked that up. I meant that sneezing is a sign of someone thinking about you here as well.

Wew lad

Mind telling me a bit more about what kind of stuff people believe in?

>pewforum.org/2012/08/09/the-worlds-muslims-unity-and-diversity-4-other-beliefs-and-practices/#_ftn22

Interesting. I think it's hiccups in Russia too. Care to tell anymore Slovenian superstitions? (I assume you're this guy). Basically we have the same about cold coming from a draft and about female infertility. However, that one also extends to include that if a woman sits in such a way that a cold draft is blowing on her back for too long, her ovaries will get cold.

Few old people from villages have what's left from paganism. It's more popular among minorities.

>Sheikh at mosque
Lolwhat. Kek.

They believe that some sorcerers and "sheikhs" have super power to talk with Djin and they believe in magic spells, and that each person is born with a djin twin that can ruin your life sometimes. People are crazy

No, I'm Yes, women are supposed to cover their ovaries.
We have the basic 13th friday, four-leaf clover, black cat, mirror ones, as well as one where if you see a chimney sweep, you should touch a button on your clothes for good luck.
Another one is about knocking on wood to make sure bad things don't happen in the future. For example, you do it when talking about an accident or someone falling ill. A ladybug brings good luck if you catch one and blow it out of your hand.

We also have a lot of different sayings that have the same meaning as these beliefs.

not him but exactly the same things, except for that we touch the chimney sweep himself on the shoulder or something similar

yea most of the superstitious beliefs we have here originate from shamanism and stuff.
I guess its pretty much the same for everyone.

English people outside the city are surprisingly superstitious, I think most just don't like to admit it. There's a lot of stuff people still think is bad luck, and many areas that are widely believed to be haunted

To be more exact, the ladybug must land in your hand before you can blow it away for good luck and if you have the hiccups it's because someone is talking about you behind your back, not because of jealousy.
Also, I once heard that if you eat while standing, the food goes in your feet.
Opening an umbrella indoors brings bad luck, as does braking a mirror.
You also receive good luck if you find a horse shoe, but you must never hang it so it points downwards, only upwards.
There's also the belief that walking under a ladder brings bad luck and that there is gold at the end of rainbows.

Not really.
Low levels of meat(not complete vegetarianism) is a really healthy thing.

Outside of cities quite, in cities slightly, talk of fairies etc

probably more common than i think