Mozilla might offer Freemium services in the future

Just when you thought thinks couldn't get worse, it does.
ghacks.net/2017/10/11/mozilla-might-offer-freemium-services-in-the-future/

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/au/news/mozilla-ceo-chris-beard-says-firefox-57-browser-is-a-big-bang/
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Firecucks eternally btfo

Meh, as long as the browser is free, I don't care about the optional shit.

Commie scum.

I don't like this idea and I'm not even sure if I'll use ESR 52 when 57 comes out with how bad things have gotten

Add optional services to the Firefox web browser. This could be a VPN to improve user privacy for instance.
Add optional services to the Mozilla website. For instance, a web-based email service that is secure and without advertisement.
Create new products and make them available in a basic free version, and an extended paid version. This could be new applications for Android or iOS, maybe a standalone VPN client.
Add a paid component to existing products. For instance, extra storage space or other benefits to Firefox Screenshots users.
It could be something totally unrelated to core products such as Firefox.

pretty cool

They should make teaching girls how to code and building wells in Africa fremium.

Those are just ideas the guy who made the article suggested, you know mozilla will drop the ball on this

>fremium

If they add freemium features such as a vpn, as the writer suggests, I wouldn't mind that much. Also, the recent Cliqz/Firefox debacle, does it apply to german FF users only?

VPN service sounds plausible tho.

VPN services feels like damage control after the cliqz controversy

damn, mozilla has really fallen hard. just when i thought they might make a comeback.

i guess google will keep their dominance for a while, nothing we can do.

>just when i thought they might make a comeback.
And why would you think that when the cliqz incident is very recent?

>commie
>wants to sell something in the future

People will complain about this and use a browser made by Google at the same time.

Zero reading comprehension. Selling software is a sin commie?

Ad company

Nobody is saying this is bad because something is being sold, you retard. This is just going to be just like pocket and other shit mozilla thought everyone wanted for firefox and only made the browser worse.

>freemium
And I'm finally done. Between the alleged Soros link, the Cliqz fiasco, throwing $100k of donated money at RiseUp, and now this, I can safely say that my days with Mozilla software are at an end. I have no idea what their end game is, but I know I don't want to be using their stuff when it happens.

>Zero reading comprehension
You too, huh?

So this is the power of free software...

>free software=gratis software

>Communists don't use capitalism to fund their shit

>frenulum
FTFY

Thank fuck I'm still using Chromium. I almost fell for the Nightly meme.

The freedom to get jewed hard as fuck.

Nice.

This triggers some autist.

So how long before they remove bookmarks and make pocket the only alternative but you have to pay for it

I want to laugh, but I could honestly imagine them doing something like that at this point.

Freemium options was talked about more in depth in this interview with mozilla CEO chris beard
cnet.com/au/news/mozilla-ceo-chris-beard-says-firefox-57-browser-is-a-big-bang/

You know a part of me is actually sad, Firefox use to be so good. It really hurts to have seen it go from it's own unique browser with a dedicated following to a Chrome clone that no-one likes at all.

How is there marketshare, I really don't even know why I still use it, I should just switch to chromium full time now if it has umatrix.

"I'm sorry user. We need money to continue to bring you a quality product. Extensions and about:config access are limited to silver and gold level memberships only. By the way, we just donated 100k to a Communist domestic terrorist group."

I personally have no issue with them creating various services and charging for them. Remember that GNU is not communist, and that it is ok to do that
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
I just hope that they ensure that these services run on Free Software. I personally am done with Mozilla due to the Cliqz, MITI, and other issues, but for those who are sticking with the browser, I hope these services are useful to you.

This is what I fear. If it turns out that Mozilla is simply offering their users some cool VPN, Encrypted Email, and other stuff, then great! But at this point I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of them going full-retard... again. For like the fourth time in a row now

I think I'm going to switch from FireFox :( But Idk to which browser.

But could you trust these servers from mozilla?

I had thread up a while ago discussing alternatives, and made some big analysis posts about them. Basically, the best options I can see are Brave, Pale Moon, Waterfox, and Qupzilla/Falkon

I'm using Luakit of all things. Only problem is bitchute seems to break it.

I'm thinking: SeaMonkey, WaterFox, PaleMoon. In this order because PM is "my browser their way".
I am aware of Qupzilla, but its development is painfully slow.

Not him, but why not Chromium, it's open source and actually a decent supported alternative that isn't running itself into the ground or virtual dead with no addon support? The only downsize is google botnet, but from what I've heard people say it has now jewgle features like Chrome.

>why not Chromium
Botnet. Also can't handle my 8000+ bookmarks. Importing them results in a fucking mess.

Qupzilla I mainly mention because of it being the best-looking browser that's not a Firefox/Chromium fork. I'm not sure what the situation with SeaMonkey is, so i'm not sure whether that project is actually continuing for much longer or not.
Contrary to what you might think Chromium is not the open and private alternative to Chrome. It is botnet, as can be seen by the fact that Google tried to inject their voice-recording "OK Google" into the browser. Also, the fact that forks such as Brave, Ungoogled-Chromium, and Iridium need to exist.

>I'm not sure what the situation with SeaMonkey is, so i'm not sure whether that project is actually continuing for much longer or not.
They are. They announced that they even want to keep XUL addons compatibility and maybe Thunderbird devs join SeaMonkey dev team too. The future for SM looks very promising. So does the future of WF. Currently I'm on ESR52 and holding on, but leaning towards SM, it's really the closest browser to Opera v12.

I've been testing out waterfox for couple weeks now and I think its pretty solid - its ideal if you want to keep using ff based browser.

>qupzilla's development, based on the latest chrome engine, is slow
>seamonkey, which is a whole year behind firefox, is ok

Brave is pretty intersting but iltimately iseless withou extension support

I seriously hope a fork like pale moon becomes popular after firefox 57 because seamonkey could switch to that as a base. What about waterfox, will that be viable after november? Isn't cyberfox dying or was it already dead?

>i want to keep using firefox but i don't want it to be called firefox

Ikr, it's actually a nice browser, which is why it is my second choice.

I wasn't talking about performance. On my PC all browsers perform equally fast. What I was refering to as being slow is its development. It looks and works like an early project. A sketch for a future project.. right now it's "alpha" stage at most.

I want to keep using firefox like it was classic firefox, yes.

Yes, CyberFox is dying.
WF will continue development, but I've heared both that they want to keep a branch in sync with Mozilla's stable and another one based on ESR and somehow have them both support XUL extensions. We'll see once WF57 is out.

The first two words were "qupzilla's development"
Which part made you think that I'm talking about performance?

What's the issue with the current Firefox?

Q U T E B R O W S E R

They're going to drop XUL extensions in november among other things

Well, the development of Qupzilla is very slow. It started from the time Presto was announced to be dead for desktop. Few years later and the browser looks like it's in early alpha still.
SM is a finished product. A fully featured browser.

FUCKING OUT OF IDEAS
sjwzilla death will come sooner than i expected
sad really

Which snowflake addon do you depend on?

Yeah that can be a pain in the ass.
The one addon I really want is Vimium, which is coming soon. Everything else like adblocking and stuff is already in the browser. I just need my Vim keys, man!
One thing to know is that Qupzilla just got picked up by KDE and is becoming Falkon.

Webextensions will be severely gimped and will never have the capabilities XUL did

Downthemall

Firefox webextensions are already miles ahead of what Chrome has.
If you want to add a new api you're free to design and suggest it.
The problem is that most addon developers decided to throw a hissy fit instead.

Downthemall is getting an official replacement. The mass download and filter feature that most people used it for are entirely possible with webextensions.

The Downthemall dev is developing a lite version that lacks the functionality of the original one.

Functionality like downloading the same file several times at once.

I'm just going to weather the storm and I believe it will get better ; - ;

XUL was my introduction to "programming". I was actually introducted to Firefox through jimmyrcom on YouTube ~10 years ago. So seeing XUL go is like the final nail in the coffin of what I grew up with, in replacement for javascript lamp stacks or whatever. This is how I imagine Richard Stallman must feel.

XUL is a markup language.

you don't say

It won't