How would one go about transforming pic related into a PC? What would be some good components that could fit inside...

How would one go about transforming pic related into a PC? What would be some good components that could fit inside, and what would be a good cooling method?

Other urls found in this thread:

ghostcase.com/ps2.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2
asrock.com/nettop/intel/DeskMini GTXRX/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I did something similar with a Raspberry Pi Zero W and a PS2 slim.
If you want a "real computer" get a x86 SBC.

dont butcher the actual console unless its completely dead and you have no plan to fix it.

otherwise just buy a modder case and use that ghostcase.com/ps2.html

what actually is the x86 SBC? Just a motherboard or inbuild cpu too?

there only worth like 20 bucks and I already have one kicking around. I'll have a look at your link though and reply back in a min.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2

interesting, never heard of that before

those cases are more expensive than second hand consoles

You better be using a "for parts/not working" console.

you need an internal hard drive and just install linux on it

It's a full computer made into a single board.
My advice is for you to buy a barebones Intel Nuc or latepanda.

It's meant for rendering graphics, not for everyday use. Unless you can find a keyboard with the specialized plug a PS2 uses or build your own, you're fucked.

raspberry pi except with x86 processor
they're more expensive than arm pi clones and more energy hungry but they are slightly more powerfull
ie just get a fucking pi

it has USB ports, all you need is a harddrive and either the an official linux cd or mcboot or some other way to unlock it and install unofficial distros.
that said it has 32MB of memory so you're not gonna get much out of it for desktop usage, and it uses too much power for a 24h server

You can use USB Mice and Keyboards. Some games support them.

USB....?

You're honestly better off just installing a modchip or softmodding and playing pirated and homebrew on it.

Just install Linux

>walk up to nearest pile of trash
>throw playstation in trash
>retrieve beige-box PC from trash
>you now have a pc

I'd get a Pico ITX board, the CPU will probably be passively cooled and you could just reuse the casefans on the PS2 if you want additional cooling.

Are there really this people in Sup Forums unaware that ps2 uses usb and already has a process to make it a PC?

Fuck I'm old

iirc the fat idles at around 30W and maxes at 80 or 90W under load. Even under full load 24/7 it'd only cost like $7/mo

I believe that's common knowledge. But it's a pretty shit PC.

There are people allowed to be here who weren't even a year old when the PS2 came out

You can't do shit today with 32MB of RAM and a 300MHz MIPS processor besides run a shitty old window manager and a calculator. The original iPhone has a CPU twice as fast and 4x the RAM and that thing can also run Linux. You'd be better off just buying a Dingleberry Pi if you want to do anything useful like run a web browser or an office suite.

t. ran Linux on a PS2 a couple years ago and was disappointed

>go to wiki
>read the specs
>consider where your life went wrong
>go for a walk
>pull an old mid 2000s shitbox out of the trash
>ignore any revelations
>go back to shit posting on gee with your new shitbox

asrock.com/nettop/intel/DeskMini GTXRX/

It already is one. Grab a ps2 Linux kit off eBay.

/Thread