Ordered a 2017 12" MacBook. What am I in for Sup Forums...

Ordered a 2017 12" MacBook. What am I in for Sup Forums? Got it from the refurbished section (apple's refurbished) for $1019. Base model. I already have quite a few USB C dongles and hubs from other devices. First Mac computer, so hey why not something that apple boasts?

Holy shit that keyboard has to feel like garbage.

idk
i went into local electronics store and it feels good after the first minute

It's better than you might think. Nice decent click, but the tiny amount of travel takes some getting used to.

You're in for a mediocre experience and unstable system apps. Don't you dare try to compile things or use Disk Utility! Just browse Facebook or other normie trash sites using only the built in browser.

I have a Mac that I've been using for a few years and I won't be buying another one after this. I only use it because I need OS X/Windows only programs for work and there's no way in hell I'm using Winshit 10 ever on anything.

I did use the 2016 MB's and it was pretty awful. they're using the Gen 2 BF Switches (same as MBP), those are much more clicky, used to many keyboards so that's hardly a gripe anyway.

>unstable system apps

You're full of shit.

Well I've used MacOS/OSX before, it was a good experience, not my own machines but yeah. All I need it to do is handle photoshop better than my current laptop (some HP with an FX 7500 APU), have good color accuracy and well be portable.

Here's some stuff that you're in for, from a Mac owner:
>Less infuriating OS than Windows 10
>Fast and snappy
>Screen is great most times, but glares like a motherfucker.
>No upgradeability of the hardware if you plan on keeping this around for a while.
>Overpriced for what you get, but since you got it refurbished for a lower cost, it doesn't matter as much for you.
>Oh wait, it's not a pro one. Don't expect to do anything intensive on it at all.

itll handle about as well as a few-generations-old i5 (laptop, not desktop, obv) ... like an i5 5200u

Does it have 256gb ssd not 128?

Honestly, you'll probably enjoy the computer

Disk Utility in 10.13 fucked up encrypting new APFS volumes and it no longer detects NTFS flash drives for whatever retarded reason, so I literally have to open a Windows 7 VM to mount and read the files off of flash drives I get from coworkers. Dealing with little shit like this really grinds my fucking gears. Fedora with XFCE is ass ugly but I can live boot it and GParted doesn't break horribly every update. Finder is also lagging and glitching out. Again, Thunar doesn't do that shit.

You'll be fine as long as you use it for one or two specific things. Keep in mind that it's not friendly to any kind of tinkering and you'll need to boot to a recovery/install disk to disable certain restrictions like SIP if you want to install stuff from outside of the crApp Store (TM) or get root access, with the latter being useful for fixing Apple's fuckups when you need to use older versions of system apps without rolling back the whole goddamn OS.

holy shit
1000 for a USED device
my sides are in orbit

Well it's a laptop, I never expect to upgrade anything on a laptop (except RAM up until 2014). And it damn well better be snappy compared to a 5400 RPM drive. But yeah it was a steal from the refurb store, i do hear that Apple refurb are essentially as tip top as brand new ones,

as expected, it is a Y series processor. and yes 256 GB, but I have 4 1TB drives with a redundant one for each, so storage isn't much of an issue anyway.

Shit keyboard
Shit 4.5W CPU
No, as an ex surface pro core m owner. The 4.5 W CPU is real shit and can't be compared to 15W U series CPU.

> Actually paying $1019 for a refurbished product

Only in the great United States of Debt.

>disable SIP to do anything outside App Store
I didn't have to do this. If an app doesn't want to open the first time, I just right click it, and click open to open it. After that first time, it'll work perfectly without having to do that ever again

So these have two ports or one? Are they thunderbolt ports?

it is really well optimized from what i've seen at least, mileage may vary?

this, it's just a launch defect on some apps.

Oddly enough this was tax return money.

one USB-C port, non thunderbolt. Shouldn't be an issue with my NAS I hope, still 5GB/s

My settings for allowing other apps were greyed out after the El Crapitan update and I had to boot off a flash drive and open a shell after every update to disable SIP. At least in High Sierra it doesn't automatically re-enable itself every update. And I still get that first time warning asking if I want to open the newly installed application. Yes, I want to fucking open it. I installed it as the administrator and clicked on it. Shit drives me up a fucking wall.

I mis-stepped, but only slightly. It roughly equals (i.e within 5%) intel's 2013 model ... the i5-4200u

It'll be a perfectly snappy browsing machine ... I mean, it probably has 8gb ram as well, doesn't it? The trackpad will be wonderful, the keys will take some getting used to.

Don't expect to do stuff like photoshop without it complaining.

>What am I in for Sup Forums?
DONGLES

already got 'em anyways.

>MacBook
it thermal throttles and runs slower the more you throw at it

sexiest os out the box as well as the best looking laptop on the market.
Despite two usb c's, I don't need any dongles. Only using the port for charging. I would've advised you go with the mbp rather than mb but they're both good. If you hate the macbook youll most likely find the mbp better

you got a tablet with a keyboard that can't be removed