Okay so I just decided to compare two brand new laptops, one 15" macbook pro and a dell xps 15...

Okay so I just decided to compare two brand new laptops, one 15" macbook pro and a dell xps 15, both which are considered "business" laptops. All specs and prices taken from their sites as of now;
apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MPTR2LL/A&step=config#
dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop/dncwxb1608v2/configurations
Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna use some reddit spacing for easier reading.

Here are the similar specs of each;
>15", came out in 2017
>7700hq quad core cpu
>16 gb ddr4 ram (though mac has 2133mhz sticks, dell has 2400)
>512 gb pcie ssd
>backlit keyboard
>wifi, bluetooth etc. etc.

Here are the features of the MBP:
>2880x1880 retina display
>4 thunderbolt ports instead of 1 on the xps
>touch bar and touch id
>macOS (this'll depend on your opinion)

Here are the features of the XPS 15:
>1080p ips display, can be upgraded to 4k ips touchscreen display for extra $350
>noticeably better gpu (4gb 1050 vs 2gb radeon pro 555)
>actually has the most common ports (hdmi, usb 3.0...)
>perfect linux support

The 512gb configuration of the MBP has a price of $2400. The XPS with the specs I listed on the other hand, $1550.
Which one's worth it? You decide.

One more thing,
>mbp has uses ddr3, xps uses ddr4 ram.
>mbp's battery capacity is 76 w/h, xps' is 97 w/h.

>MacBook SSD is the fastest in any laptop.
>Tight integration between OS and hardware

>XPS has Infinity Edge or whatever the fuck, looks good but 1080p isn't worth downgrading to, smaller storage is, if trying to be extra Jewi$h

Both have their pros and cons, but if the MacBook wasn't so overpriced other laptops wouldn't compete as closely.

I think 1080p is perfectly fine for 15". Sure, 4k or retina display looks slightly sharper but it's not a selling point, more like a gimmick. The cons overweight the pros; more processing power overall for higher resolution, lesser battery life etc.

>Here are the features of the MBP:

I'd get the XPS 15 config that is around $2400, or buy the $1550 along with a better ssd to replace the one that comes with it and maybe get more ram if there's still money left

I think this is a very unfair comparison.

Macbooks CONSTANTLY overheat and thermal throttle on anymore cpu intensive than the calculator app.

I've come to the conclusion that the "base" frequencies of macs are actually their turbos and their real base frequencies are like half that.

I did a comparison like this for the MBP 15", and the Thinkpad P51.

Throttling is a meme of the past. The new ones have good cooling (with fucked fan curves but they don't throttle at all).

Yeah I think I remember seeing that. Thanks user.

Do mactoddler brainlets actually think they're fooling anyone? LMAO

Do you want macOS or Windows, do you have other Apple products or not? Its not hard. Both of those machines are not considered 'business' machines either. These comparisons are always dumb. I guess the Mac vs 'PC' thing is real after all, because comparing them both from a neutral standpoint is useless. You either want the Mac or you don't.

Made it in lovely, Free as in Freedom GIMP!

Bruh, a fucking DUAL-CORE TABLET fucking curb stomps a 4-core i7 2017 macbook "pro".

I don't believe you. Prove it

see Macs are fucking trash, deal with it kid.

That doesn't prove it

What's that, Adobe Premiere Pro? I'd be interested to see the results with the Apple running Final Cut Pro, which is much more optimized for macOS

Final Cut is fucking trash, deal with it kid.

Premiere pro is industry standard. Final cut is.. well.. apple standard.. so, it's worth fuckall.

this

I bought a 2017 macbook just because and immediately I could not get work done on it. Video editing and exporting took fucking forever.

Someone fucking post the image of the poor macfag whose mbp got throttled to 0.8 ghz

Retina is not a gimmick. You've obviously not seen one in person

the 1080 screen alone is worth it. osx cant even scale properly and if you use anything like vmware or rdp the screen is quite literally useless

Haha, have you used a High DPI screen in Windows?

The XPS is significantly more powerful because it doesn't throttle. With the 4k screen it is better in pretty much every way.

>Haha
yes, i have, and its not any better

notice how i said 1080 screen, not 4k screen on windows you fucking tool

Yes, I did notice that - no need for the profanity. OS X scales better than Windows does.

I'm not sure how having crappier scaling functionality is a selling point for the XPS?

because you cannot purchase the macbook with a screen that is good for anything other than using safari and text edit

grow a brain

>because you cannot purchase the macbook with a screen that is good for anything other than using safari and text edit

I've used a rMPB as a daily driver in the past an never had scaling issues, including using Citrix and RDP to enter Windows hosts, but whatever

then you must have terrible eyesight

windows scales like shit, so you either run 1:1 which is 100% useless, or you let windows rdp scale and it turns into a fucking blurry mess

i bought a retina macbook as an upgrade to my 2011, worst decision i ever made and 3 weeks later it was back on ebay. i took a $300 loss getting rid of that thing because it hurt my eyes using it. you cant even set 1:1 scaling on the mac display so you are just fucked and left to use whatever resolution they feel you want. if it just had a normal 1200 screen instead of a dumb scale it would have been fine

>gimmick
The screen is the only fucking thing that matters

>retina macbook
>2011

uhhh

>as an upgrade to my 2011
what the fuck is wrong with you?

>skimming Sup Forums posts
If not being a pedant is a problem I would say that's it.

Yeah the argument isn't about the screen it's about the resolution. 4k has to many cons and not enough pros.

It's not a gimmick but let's also agree that most people don't use the native res, especially on the 13" screens. Everyone I know uses a scaled res. Retina is just a fancy way of saying high dpi display anyway. If there was a huge market for this it would exist.

>touch bar and touch id
>macOS (this'll depend on your opinion)
You have to seriously be retarded to want those. Go for the XPS, dont be a fucking moron

MacBook has twice to battery life if you do 4k screen on the XPS

Check notebookcheck. If you don't need battery life then whats the fucking point

>fastest in any laptop
Is it M.2 or something? I can't imaging it being better than the 850 EVOs in my Thinkpads otherwise.

Really? geez I wish they offered a 1440p model or something

XPS is a piece of shit with multiple QC issues.

Why?

Yes the MBP SSD are soldered directly to the PCI-e lanes.

The chassis has to be bent just so it fits level as well as loose screws rattling around in the body. Also multiple screen issues. just look at YT.

no WAN/modem it's nota bussines!

>windows scales like shit, so you either run 1:1 which is 100% useless, or you let windows rdp scale and it turns into a fucking blurry mess

You know they fixed this fucking ages ago you retarded mongoloid. Then again you'd know this if you updated your computer.

For

I am on Windows and they didn't fix shit you trash talking pleb.

Yeah, no. It isn’t. Wanting to use a sharper screen higher than human eye already sees as “sharp enough” (about 100 ppi for monitors, 150 for laptops) is like those gamer kids with rich parents going for overkill builds for their gaming pc. High dpi displays is not a selling point if you’re not a casual user. “Retina” is a buzzword.

OP, save yourself a few dollarydoos and buy the XPS model with a 128, sell it, then buy a 512 separately for cheaper.

You can do that on that on the XPS (not sure if you can on the mac, I assume you can't because they have it glued shut with proprietary glue or some shit)

So your 1550 XPS is now like 1400 or so after selling the 128 and upgrading it to your newly installed 512

D E L E T E T H I S

I LOVE how ever other brand has stepped up their game. From Dell and LG (gram), and even fucking Lenovo stepping up their aesthetics and specs, people can no longer credibly claim that "Apple is for people who get shit done".

I understand that macOS is comfy and the trackpad of the pros is good, but let's not pretend that, it'll throttle you to shit if you even so much as stitch a few panoramas together in photoshop.

If windows can stop being retarded and step their game up (that upcoming fall creators update had a great aesthetic to it, better than macOS IMO), MBPs will be relegated to those with women studies degrees.

MacBook Air, owned a Thinkpad, huge and clunky but still so sexy. I think Thinkpad's are sexy for some reason. They look like business. Macs look like you're hipster... or blogger and they turned worse post-Steve Jobs. Removed skeuomorphism to glaring colours and flatness. Removed ports.

I think it's more about the build quality of the chassis and the OS than specs. Remember equally spaced PC struggled with editing HD video, back in the day, and windows movie maker was crap in comparison to iMovie. Mac had no problems. After a while the Windows would become slow, whilst the Mac would still be just as fast, only needed to fix permissions. Windows needed to be cleaned for malware and stuff

>buys core m
>reeee where is my performance

>iPajeet gets banned

LMAO

>buys a notebook sized smartphone
>uses it for video edits and exports
it's like using a knife for eating soup