Are those things standard/legal/authorized?

Are those things standard/legal/authorized?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/NEZ-Cat5e-Adapter-RJ45-RJ45BU/dp/B000Q3HIS8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

illegal

What a fucking splitter?

wtf do not post illegal shit on this board

Bump because I want to know what that is

MODS

wtf OP

But does it works anyway?

holy shit op, what are you trying to attract the feds here?

amazon.co.uk/NEZ-Cat5e-Adapter-RJ45-RJ45BU/dp/B000Q3HIS8

Good luck getting through customs lol

It lets two PCs share one drop. It's not a two-port hub, though, as you need one of these at each end.

If anyone owns one of these I hope the feds raid your shit and kick you to death

Haha, wtf what is going on here?

reviews say that you can use one to connect 2 ethernet cables to the ends of one ethernet cable. I don't quite see what would be 'illegal' about this and I also don't understand how tf that would work.

Plz explain someone

that's why i'm asking

Like ssh?

So the only benefit of it over normal switch is that you get 2 actual connections if you wire up both ends?

So you get 2 gigabit lan connections instead of one to use?

How does that even work, I guess the 1gigabit limit is not inherent to the 4 pair cat5/6 cable....

Do you want to crash the internet with all those collisions?

DO YOU WANT?

You're not fooling anyone mr.fbi agent pretending to mouth breather mongoloid so you can nap some cheese itz.

More like rlogin.

Gigabit use all the 8 wires of RJ45
100M FastEthernet use only 4 wires
But I don't know how a switch can negotiate two machines on the same port...

Why the fuck would an ethernet splitter be illegal?

illegal for the 802.3 standard, not for the federal law

You get 100 megabit half duplex only. So probably fine for a call center but don't use it on your servers.

oh who cares about standards neckbeards

It doesn't... you put one splitter at each end. 2 wires out of the switch and into one splitter, combining it into 1 Cat5 cable through the wall. The at the other end you use another splitter to split it back into 2 cables. It's just to put 2 wires through 1 drop without stringing another drop or using a switch at the other end.

It only works with 100mbit since gbit uses all 8 pairs. If you connect gbit equipment it will only run at 100 mbit because it will detect that the wiring in between isn't capable of gbit.

if neckbeards didn't have standards they would be only beards

so, that's how it works?
it's retarded

Oh no, it's the other way, I get it

No, only one port on the network switch

Exactly. Not exactly sure why you would do this instead of putting a switch at the far end though.

Maybe if one of the things you want to run through it isn't normal ethernet that can be put through a switch -- like plain analog telephone.

And what if I put PoE on the 8p8c side?
I will get one RJ45 (the blue on OP pic) of full power?

Does this work with the switch's logic? Those pairs are only all live in full-duplex gigabit.. but wouldn't the switch expect to be able to send traffic down any pair to a single system? Wouldn't the switch freak out when it starts receiving traffic across full GbE pairs, but operating at less-than-GbE speed? I have so many questions..

Nope.

WHAT THE FUCK
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

Two switch ports. Each one sees a circuit capable of 100Mbit. Each one sees the MAC of either the red or blue connection. Passive splitter. No big shit.

Twisted pair version :^)

That might depend on how PoE is negotiated. Most of the standards will fail, but I think Cisco's old proprietary signaling was actually almost analog and may work.

Ooooh. So you install one at each and this just saves on cable runs? Better to just wire it that way in the wall termination punchdown..

>Do these things work
Yes, but only for 100mbps.

>Are they 'legal'
'No'
What that means is they're not authorized or tested to be plugged into a phone system (remember RJ45 jacks and CAT5/6 is all certified for Telephony use, not just data) connected to POTS.
If you connect it POTS and something breaks, it's on you.

Using them for your Ethernet LAN that isn't connected to POTS is fine.

Switches use more power.
11watts @ $0.515 per KW/hr is $3.80 a week for an extra switch.
For no reason whatsoever, since it costs nothing to use a splitter.