What do we do bros...

What do we do bros? Fossbulls are removing all potential for commercialization in the software world with their superior free alternatives. It isn't fucking fair, I spent 80000 dollars to get a bachelors degree in software engineering and yet the only fields a programmer can make money anymore is videogame development. Of course the autists with no jobs can churn out full alternatives to all proprietary software, they have a fucking monopoly in the digital world and need to be stopped

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLCommercially
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Use BSD to harass freetards in /fglt/ for being zealots and imposing their beliefs onto other people, and rewrite articles on Wikipedia that allude to free software under the pretense that their definition of freedom is wrong

Project64 is actually free software, licensed under the GPL v2

NO!

be a radical centrist like me and endorse all of their use

Just don't expect to make money by making stuff that other can make better for free. Get a job that's actually needed, like riding a garbage truck.

Mp3 isn't proprietary anymore, though, so this image isn't valid.

we have to write more shitposts referencing 'open sores' and communism.

Don't forget to use "open source" in place of "libre software" and misinterpret free software as being monetarily free.

Project64 is free software
And i think the mp3 patents expired and it is now free software

>muh gommunism
Fun fact: You are allowed to sell GPL software for as much as you like as long as you're able to give customers a copy of the source code by allowing them to download it or by mailing it to them.

gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLCommercially

BSDlets BTFO

what stops people from hosting the same source code and compiled binaries on other sites which make it as easy to get for free as it would be to simply purchase it?

What stops people from doing the same with closed source programs? Why don't you go ask The Pirate Bay? And what about those Ukrainian kids that are cracking your shitty DRM before your games are even released? Your arguments are invalid.

>I spent 80000 dollars to get a bachelors degree in software engineering
Hahahahahaha

that is illegal whereas hosting gpl software isn't

>i-i-it's illegal!
Cries the virgin cuck as the GPL Chad points out that anti-piracy campaigns don't do jack shit and have been running since the early 90s. Don't copy that floppy!

Be a radical centrist and endorse the use of software that can coexist with both proprietary and copyleft software, but condone anyone who doesn't use exclusively copycenter software and reciprocate your radically centrist views about inclusivity and coexistance.

but theres absolutely no security, schools and such actually purchase licenses for photoshop and whatever else, they have no incentive to if they can get the same binaries for free, with the exact same effort, and legally

That's what I meant

Why don't you ask RedHat what they think about that?

Amen, brother. Let's burn those zealots.

That's wrong though, faggot. Read the GPL and see

>hey mike! you should try fedora! its a great operating system with a veluptuous gnome 3 interface!
>what? no just install fedora, its literally the same thing. its like opensuse to suse, see they could not legally distribute gpl code without allowing the option to download the source, so a third party came in and simply recompiled and redistributed it with a new logo

Well, I think the actual lesson here is that the traditional model of software as a package isn't viable with free software--but that doesn't mean that a sustainable business model with free software isn't viable. You can't expect a fish to climb a tree.

>but theres absolutely no security
Security from what? FLOSS is plenty secure, which is why it's used in servers.

RHEL is based on Fedora, not the other way around. Dumbfuck.

You're conflating CentOS with RHEL. And there's a reason why enterprise doesn't just use CentOS, proprietary blobs notwithstanding.

>>veluptuous gnome 3 interface
What did he mean by this? And who is he quoting?

>deluge
garbage
>gimp
garbage
>audacity
not sure if it's any good, i've never managed to start it without it crashing
>notepad++
garbage
>sjwfox
garbage
>sumatrapdf
garbage
>mpv
good if you have autism
>mpc
outdated garbage
>blender
good, but why spend 10000 hours learning a software that nobody in the industry uses?
>dosbox
this is good for the linux users who obviously couldn't play those games in the 90s like the rest of us did

>gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLCommercially
apply yourself

>You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system. The goal of the GPL is to grant everyone the freedom to copy, redistribute, understand, and modify a program. If you could incorporate GPL-covered software into a nonfree system, it would have the effect of making the GPL-covered software nonfree too.

GPL != LGPL
Apply yourself.

Okay.

>You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system
You can, you just have to release all the modifications you make to the program.

>enterprise doesn't just use CentOS
um, no sweetie

You say this like it's a bad thing.
Exactly. The point of GPL is to tell proprietary cucks to fuck off. No worse from proprietary software, except it's actually conducive to free speech in that people can redistribute and modify GPL'ed software. When lawyers call GPL a cancer, it's in the context of that. That they ought to play by the terms that the GPL set or fuck off.

I don't understand what this proves. RHEL is still a viable product, so clearly they're doing something right.

Name a better Djvu reader than Sumatra ill wait

GNU Emacs

This smells like blackmail.

doesn't prove a thing other than that centos is actually used in enterprise

So is RHEL. By your logic, why isn't it depricated?

>And there's a reason why enterprise doesn't just use CentOS, proprietary blobs notwithstanding.
>And there's a reason why enterprise doesn't just use CentOS
>enterprise doesn't just use CentOS
>just use CentOS
I want you to reread that post again and tell me what you think it was trying to convey.

i admit defeat

You're smelling your own unwashed ass, BSD basement dweller.

ITT: nobody understands how the GPL works

How does it work.

You can sell access to GPL'd software, but have to provide your users with a copy of the source code. Those users can then publish that source code for free, provide compiled versions of it for free, or sell compiled versions of it.
If they modify the code and then distribute compiled forms of it, they have to make this modified code available to their users.
They are under no obligation of committing their changes back upstream.

oh, and also if you include GPL'd code in a proprietary codebase that codebase then becomes GPL'd as well, as it's basically a modification of the GPL'd code.

Okay. Was that not established?

doesn't seem like it, considering some of the replies in this ITT thread

GPL licensed software is literally a disease.

>GPL is literally a cure for diseased software.

Fixed it for you.

GPL is a vaccine, it only incorporates harmless elements of the virus in order to protect us against it

that's GPLv2

now do v3

Uhhh... guys, I think I just caught GPL2. I haven't gotten my vaccine, yet.

Oh, God, I'm coughing up blood. I knew I shouldn't have lurked /fglt/. Bill Gates, please forgive me for my sins.

Wow, that's actually a really fantastic analogy.

same shit, but you don't have to give your code to your users if it doesn't run on their machine, and your code has to work without requiring DRM-like hardware or software features.

>Centrist
>Radical

See

>He thinks that's somehow 'radical'

>condone
did you mean "condemn"?

I did ._.

>Project64
And MP3 has been superseded twice at this point. It's awful that such an ancient format is still in wide use.

I know. It's horrifying. It's ingrained itself in popular culture, and now that's all that normal people know, mp3. They're all mp3. What's that Ogg file? Uhhh, I think you've got a virus, dude. That's not mp3. Of course, I guess it works Good Enough for the normal consumer, who wouldn't appreciate the benefits, anyway. And shame on the journalists who are trying to push AAC onto unknowing consumers, as though mp3 has somehow expired now that its patents have.