High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
profile=opengl-hq
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
tscale=oversample
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.srsfckn.biz/
bitbucket.org/rorgoroth/mingw-w64-cmake/downloads/
jenkins.maeyanie.com/job/mpv/
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/Test/
files.jrg.systems/mpv-d3d11-x86_64-20171012-git-e272dcc.7z
patreon.com/haasn
mpv.io/manual/master/#stats
youtube.com/watch?v=tEPAgNrvZaw#t=2m52s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Windows Builds:
Stable Portable: mpv.srsfckn.biz/
Stable GUI installer: bitbucket.org/rorgoroth/mingw-w64-cmake/downloads/
Windows Vapoursynth: jenkins.maeyanie.com/job/mpv/
Dev Snapshots: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files
WIP Vulkan-R2: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/Test/
WIP ra_d3d11 by rossy: files.jrg.systems/mpv-d3d11-x86_64-20171012-git-e272dcc.7z

I actually need someone to compile a static build (mpv-build's build) of mpv and ffmpeg for me.If someone were kind enough to do it with march=haswell and the options:

--enable-libmpv-shared
--enable-sdl2
--enable-rubberband
--enable-uchardet
--enable-drm
--enable-zsh-comp
--enable-gl-x11
--enable-egl-x11
--enable-egl-drm
--enable-vaapi-hwaccel
--enable-vdpau-hwaccel
--enable-lgpl

--enable-nonfree
--enable-libx264
--enable-libfdk-aac
--enable-libmp3lame
--enable-libass
--enable-libbluray
--enable-libfontconfig
--enable-libfreetype
--enable-libfribidi
--enable-libopenjpeg
--enable-libopus
--enable-libpulse
--enable-libv4l2
--enable-libvorbis
--enable-libvpx
--enable-libwavpack
--enable-libwebp
--enable-libx264
--enable-libx265
--enable-opengl
--enable-openssl
--enable-avresample

please post mpv icon instead of cartoons. so that people will find it easier in catalog.

Why not do it yourself?

Getting dumb error about not having rubberband's headers installed. Can't seem to troubleshoot it since everything was working a few days ago.

And do you have rubberband installed?

>And do you have rubberband installed?
Yes, as well as rubberband-devel. Building it myself would be too much effort. The errors have also piled up. I get a myriad of errors saying I don't have x11 headers (ALSO do) and so on. It just werked last week.

I'm using this on windows and my only problem with it right now is that i don't know the option to make mpv play the next file in the folder and i hate creating playlists
is there an option i can put in my .conf file?

best settings to display HDR content on SDR TV/monitors?

sorry no

Now that haasn make his stuffs separated from mpv, we are probably at the end of mpv. Why would you like to choose mpv over kodi+libplacebo or vlc+libplacebo in the future?

autoload.lua or you can drag a bunch of files on mpv

When will we get proper Windows support?

Done since angle 2 years ago.
For async rendering, you have to wait wm4 accepting haasn's pull request about vulkan improvements.

in b4 debian

>No installer
>No gui
Nice windows support you got there.

Why isn't there any way to stretch the screen when watching on an iMac? For example on windows with mpc-hc you can use the numpad to stretch height / width which is useful for 4k films that show the black bars, can't do this on mpv.

Installers are going to be dropped by microsoft soon, they have to monetize their Microsoft Store.

You can install a GUI if you want
Installers are literally useless
>I fell for this bait

>Have to extract shit manually and redo the file association everytime you update (manually)
>This is somehow seen as perfectly fine and regarded as "proper support for windows" in 2017
Fucking freetards.

Become one of his patron and ask him.
patreon.com/haasn

>redo the file association everytime you update
I don't have to do that, and besides there's a bat file for that

>in b4 debian
No, and the rubberband I have is 1.8.1. Build date: 2016-01-12

>>Have to extract shit manually and redo the file association everytime you update (manually)
>>This is somehow seen as perfectly fine and regarded as "proper support for windows" in 2017
I run windows and I've been using mpv for about 6 months and I've never had any issues with file associations after an update, and you can literally just run the .bat file and it will update MPV automatically
Fucking brainlets

There is a working GUI installer for Windows here: which installs mpv to your system, path, control panel, has start menu entries, sets file associations and everything.

It's only for stable mpv releases though but making a windows installer for a build every day would be retarded and the portable approach would is better for that use case.

I use VLC, always have, because it just works. I don't know or care much about codecs and this or that technical jibber jabber, I just want my 1080p YIFY mp4 to play while not hammering my laptop's teeny tiny CPU. Does a pleb like me stand to gain anything by using MPV instead, or is VLC just as good for my usage? I don't want to spend time customising it, I just want to have it work right away.

Um that's actually true... the most redeeming feature of mpv is the renderer. The other stuff is good as well but 99.999% don't care about scripting, nice proper system and such stuff.

Makes me a little sad to be honest.

haasn doesn't use windows; so he can't do any windows development even if he wanted to

a better person to ask would be rossy

I would suggest at least trying out mpv, but if VLC works for you stick with it

>haasn doesn't use windows
>so he can't do any windows development even if he wanted to
What are virtual machines?

Add something on mplayer next time.

another layer that may cause problems when debugging

So when VLC gets libplacebo does that mean the retards are going to finally leave the mpv threads because they can get their meme shaders elsewhere?

No

No. libplacebo won't contain a hook system. vlc will be vastly better but still inferior to mpv.

how does mpv manage to be so good compared to literally everthing else? i remember it used to be super shilled, then i started using it and saw why

Good to hear

>libplacebo won't contain a hook system
why not?

I'm not haasn, but there is no user_shaders.c and no mention of any hooks in the code.

I actually used to defend madVR in those threads few years ago. Then i actually tried mpv and dropped madVR.

Is he betraying us for the coneheads? :*(

What settings do you guys have for subtitles? I want to get mine down to the bottom of the screen so that they don't get in the way of the image, below the bars, and in a much smaller font (I sit fairly close to my monitor while watching stuff).

on a 16:10 screen can i offset the video to the top and have the subs on the black bar? What about running the subs in a seperate window so i can chuck them on my other monitor

Is there a way for mpv to change the refresh rate of the display according to the framerate of the video being played?

I used to do that with MPC, and it was super easy to setup because MPC could move the subtitles in realtime
I'm fairly sure mpv can do it but I don't think it's possible to have the config update in realtime, if it can't it would be extremely annoying because not all movies are 1920x800, some are 1920x1020 ect

Yes. Check user scripts page in the OP.

there's also no renderer at all yet

sub-font-size=
sub-margin-y=
sub-use-margins=yes

You can change most of that kind of stuff during runtime.
You can move the subitles up and down with "r" and "t".
You can also move the video up and down by binding a key to
add video-pan-y -0.005
add video-pan-y 0.005
if you want a bigger gap at the bottom for subs you can move the video up.
You can also make the subs bigger and smaller by binding a key to
n add sub-font-size 1
N add sub-font-size -1
Also another useful thing that not everyone is aware of. You can seek by subtitle line using ctrl+left/right.

Oh I see, thanks user!

use find function, brainlet

How to do this?

step 1: make an open wound on your left arm
step 2: pour infected hiv blood into the wound as punishment for wanting to watch films at the wrong aspect ratio
step 3: add no-keepaspect to mpv.conf

Great media player you've got there.

thanks

No gross black bars, awesome!!!!!!!!!!

aah... much better

Finally, I can watch videos the way they were ment to be displayed!

Yeah because UHD 4K videos look awful if you stretch them to be the right aspect ratio for the monitor, in mpc-hc you click "scale to 16:9" and you can even stretch more precisely with numpad.

The issue isn't quality user, it's that there's a disproportionate amount of pixels in the direction you stretch it and looks completely wrong.

How do I customize the stats script? It says in the manual: "This script can be customized through a config file lua-settings/stats.conf placed in mpv's user directory and through the --script-opts command-line option".

But what am I supposed to do with the --script-opts command-line option?

>clicking on some obtuse menu shit when you could just press the 'A' key
typical mpc-hc user

If you were stetching it to stupid proportions yes, but scaling it to 16:9 does nothing and looks completely normal, better than having 1/3rd of the screen taken up by black bars.

Yeah except that does not work the letter boxing remains.

>scaling it to 16:9 does nothing and looks completely normal
Probably because mpc is panning and scanning which cuts off the edges of the video rather than stretching it.
You can do this in mpv by hitting w and e.

mpv.io/manual/master/#stats
example: --script-opts=stats-font_size=100

>scaling it to 16:9 does nothing and looks completely normal
this is 16:9 scaled to 17:9; which is a far subtler change than either 21:9 or 4:3 to 16:9. If this doesn't look completely inhuman to you, you're beyond redemption; just do the world a favor and put a bullet in your head

Pressing w or e does nothing for 4k files.

friends don't let friends pan and scan
youtube.com/watch?v=tEPAgNrvZaw#t=2m52s

There's something wrong with the latest shinchiro test build because my monitor doesn't really display 4867.127 FPS.

The resolution should be irreverent. w and e will zoom the video until there are no black bars left. Unless you have black bars hardcoded into the video, which you can remove first with autocrop.lua.

Why can't it do it without a script like mpc?

bind
w add video-zoom -0.01
e add video-zoom 0.01
and you can zoom past the black bars.

Here is a picture of a circle in a common film AR (2.4:1) stretched to fit a 16:9 screen.

works4me

It can. I'm not going to spoonfeed you how. You're clearly braindead so just fuck off, please.

Actually is there a way for me to see performance of mpv via the cmd instead of using the stats function? Like is there a certain cmd function i have to use like "mpv -verbose" or something?

define performance?

is there a way I can change the sub delay when the subs are dragged and dropped srt files?
fuck i am bad at explaining things but im sure you guys get it

dropped frames, mistimed frames, delayed frames etc.

Can I see all of that in cmd somehow without having the overhead of the stats function?

term-status-msg ?
or you could bind a key to show-text "${vo-drop-frame-count}" instead of showing all the stats.

z and x

term-status-msg seems like what you want

Why is your font so big?

Are these timings normal?

timings are unreliable

Why is vulkan-queue-count limited to 8? Doesn't Nvidia have 16 queues?

What are the benefits of angle compared to opengl on windows?

Depends on the configuration used. They can still be a useful hint

angle is a backend for OpenGL, i.e. it IS OpenGL

My bad. I meant what's the difference between gpu-context=win and gpu-context=angle.

is there a key to play a video at a different speed like x2 or x1.5?

win
Win32/WGL, VK_KHR_win32_surface
angle
Direct3D11 through the OpenGL ES translation layer ANGLE. This supports almost everything the win backend does (if the ANGLE build is new enough).

Yes, I've read the manual myself. That doesn't tell me anything about the differences or the benefits one has over the other.
Should I be using win or angle and why?

Test both and see the less buggy and faster for you. Angle is garbage though.

awesome thanks!

I'm just trying to use this casually but I do not understand how to rotate. I've used ctrl + F to find hits of "rotate" in the manual, I have the input.conf in Roaming/mpv I've disabled select keys in already, but I'm not getting how to add a rotate key.

I want up to rotate left (counterclockwise), and down to rotate right (clockwise) like in JPEGview. I feel I've tried --video-rotate= and rotate[=0|90|180|270] as many ways as I can think of and it's not working. It disables the key, though. I'm thinking for me I should get the "Stable GUI installer" mentioned even if I get an answer, but how do I do this anyway?

ctrl+r cycle_values video-rotate"90" "180" "270" "0"

oh god wtf, but thanks.

How the fuck do I get mpv to load a DVD or BluRay?

Honestly this hasn't been working for me at all. I even used the stable GUI installer but still get Unknown property: 'video-rotate"90".

should be a space in there before "90"