/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Xiaomi Mi A1 review
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1-review-1668.php

BlackBerry releases first-look video for newly-unveiled Motion smartphone
gsmarena.com/blackberry_releases_firstlook_video_for_newlyunveiled_motion_smartphone-news-27725.php

Xiaomi Mi A1 (Android One) review: Almost the perfect budget phone
androidpolice.com/2017/10/13/xiaomi-mi-a1-android-one-review-almost-perfect-budget-phone/

LG V30 Review: The Ultimate Creativity Tool
androidheadlines.com/2017/10/lg-v30-review-ultimate-creativity-tool.html#

Nokia 9 renders reveal thin bezels, lack of headphone jack
phonearena.com/news/Nokia-9-renders-reveal-thin-bezels-lack-of-headphone-jack_id98847

Honor 7X hands-on review
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_7x-review-1667.php

Samsung brings two new camera sensors: 12MP 1.28µm with Dual Pixel and 24MP 0.9µm
gsmarena.com/samsung_unveils_two_camera_sensors-news-27655.php

Just in: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 hands-on
gsmarena.com/just_in_xiaomi_mi_mix_2_handson-news-27641.php

old

>128GB internal storage + SD card slot
>6GB of Ram
>Dual SIM card capability
>Great Camera
>traditional bezels

Is the HTC U11 the perfect phone?

>nonremovable battery
Not even close.

no headphone jack

Any reason not to get a Redmi Note 4 Global right now? The Mi A1 has no T-Mobile LTE

Wait for Note 5

The only phones from this year that I know of with a headphone jack and traditional bezels are Sony's XZ phones

Its close
If it had a headphone jack I'd already own one.
As it is, I'm getting a cheap chinkphone and waiting to see what next years flagships are like.
This year seems to be all about decent phones spoiled by one stupid thing. No headphone jack, touchwizz, shitty screens, etc. Maybe they'll sort their shit out next year.

Even if they announce it tomorrow, it's probably still going to be a year before you can get a snapdragon global version, no?

How long is the Wait™ and will it have T-Mobile LTE bands

are there some special techniques that people use to use their 5.5+ inch phones one-handedly that I don't know about?
or do people really not see a problem with using both hands if they want to do stuff efficiently?
serious question

Nokia 8, OP5 as well

I've been looking for a G5+, but here in my country, they only sell the 2 GB version, do you thing that it should be enough for it (I'll just use it normally, texting, ricing, casual gaming -I almost never use it for that-, recording, etc) or should I search for another phone?

I one hand a V30. Have you tried not being a handlet?

serious question, are you a manlet?
I 1 hand my Note8 all the time. It's got a 6.3" screen. No issue.

Fortunately, Sony said the next xperia will have a more modern style, so hopefully it will actually be good.

Moto X4 or Mi6?
Both about the same price (if I compare what I can get x4 back in the UK and a Mi6 here in China) but I probably won't get it until January at the very earliest if I go to Hong Kong

Why the hell would anyone want to waste their battery life 4k screen when it's already impossible to see the individual pixels even with 1080p?

I have special eyes

Do they have Moto G5S+? Any Xiaomi phones, or Nokia 6?

Because muh numbers.

G5S+ doesn't support band 4, so that's a big problem for me. Xiaomi phones, uhm, yeah, I could even buy them from any chink page, RN4 looks pretty decent, the camera is the only thing that bothers me. And well, they are selling Nokia 6 for +520 USD, really overpriced.

I really want to pull the trigger on the U11, which would be a great purchase unless the headphone jack trend reverses.
Also I'm not sure if the international version is fully compatible with at&t

I don't think the japs are really crazy about the bezel-less design, so I imagine it won't be too "modern"

Would I be able to install a bare Android on a branded version (verizon seems to be especially cheap with the S7) to get rid of all the bloatware that comes preinstalled?

Aside from LineageOS, what are the most popular, well maintained ROMs for multiple devices out there?

Seeing as smartphones have better specs than chromebooks, does it make sense to get one instead as a secondary device for uni?

garbage OP pic. need cuter girls with better phones.

Who Net10 with an iPhone here?

What the fuck are play store and Firefox doing

Good phone to go to after a Nexus 5X that actually has a headphone jack?

clear cache and disable background data usage.

Thanks, hope it works

anyone here on an s7? would you recommend lineage as a daily driver? im on superman rom but i miss having an aosp device

anyone who buys the new pixels or iphones is fucking retarded

One handing a phone is more about the width. I have a Galaxy Note 4 which I can't use one-handed very comfortably cuz it's 3 inches wide, I'd prefer something 2.7 or less while still keeping a good rectangular screen ratio.

I still want to pull the trigger on the kinda blue Pixel 2 with Verizon since I get a discount on plans through my company. Too bad it only comes in a 64GB ROM option.

Explain

recommend me the cheapest phone that has a decent battery and plays hearthstone.

>removable battery
>ability to install stock android without gapps
>security updates

Considering Moto G5, are there any alternatives?

Asking again. What app do you guys use to disable or stop an app from running at start up? I have root.

>no headphone jack
>for iphone prices

Boot manager is an xposed module.

Do you recommend me buy a LeEco Le Max 2?

>xposed module
Just think of me as a noob who rooted an asus tablet. What app can I download be it from froid or playstore that lets me disable bootup apps that recently sapped my ram.

Should I update to O? OP3 here

>A day after I switch to lineage
Fuck

is the iphone 6/ 6+ still worth to buy

Who cares? Just get wireless earbuds. It's only $649.

I got my s7 on lineage and it just werks. camera has a bit less options than stock rom but it's not a dealbreaker for me, especially when the phone is debloated and you don't have to deal with touchjizz

an iphone is never worth it

but phones larger than 5" ARE stupid 5" to 5.4" is a large phone 5.5" and up is a phablet
thank fuck flip phones are coming back next year as foldable phones

what's with the manlets today? do you fags wear skinny jeans or something? 5.5 is about the perfect size.

>muh asian gf
Fuck off lardbag.

5.2 is the perfect size for normal hands. If you need bigger then you're a orc.

Spotted the manlet

>when the asshole is sore but he comes again that night

>oh shit I need a comeback to justify my freakishly huge hands
>better call him a manlet when hand size is even more heavily distributed in an average than even height
go cry that you will never palm grip a mouse gigantor
even 5.2" doesn't let you swipe down top bar with thumb without removing pinky from the bottom thus reducing stability

>Holding pinky under phone
Found your problem

Do people in here actually use root apps? Or do you just buy new phones and brag about it.

Well then, how the fuck should one hold his phone? Enlighten me, user.

4 fingers on the back, thumb for navigating

I got a Mi Note 2 so it's one of those phones that requires one to hold a pinky finger under the damn phone.

There's Resurrection Remix.

Didn't have to do that with even my Nexus 6p (RIP) and don't have to do that with my current OnePlus 3t.

I was thinking of doing that actually.
Did you have to fresh install lineage OS?
Or could I just go to twrp and flash it and keep all my shit?

>muh anime weeb trash

I am not a manlet/handlet and I can hold the phone with 4 fingers on the back with the thumb for navigation but I feel like the phone will slip out of my hand if I do so.

best phone under 150?

Try a Redmi note 4 on a flash sale.

I fresh installed. Not recommended to dirty flash, problem will have lots of bugs.
Are you using a case? If I take the case off, then I'd problem feel the same, but my transparent tpu case gives a lot of extra grip.

>using a case

Yeah, I am. It's this ultra thin case so there is some protection against the phone slipping.

G5S+ does support B4, at least th version sold in the US does

Welp, my oneplus 3t doesn't slip at all with the case on and holding my fingers behind the phone

Sadly, that thing never goes on sale here.
Is the 4x any good?
Im also iffy about the xiaomi shit on the OS

phones above 70mm in width should be required by law to have a rubber ring attached to the back to allow for secure and ergonomic holding
inb4 loopy case, those fags only make stuff for apple, google and S series samsungs and every attempt to ask them for other phones is always met with
>LE quirky mysterious boiler plate response

Ok thanks.
Is it smart to
nandroid backup (system + data), wipe everything, flash rom, gapps, magisk, then use my titanium backup (apps+system? Or just apps) to get all my shit back?

Note 4 (Global version) and Note 4X are the same phone, except that the 4X has less LTE bands (no B4 or B20 on the 4X). Both have an official LineageOS available and plenty of other ROMs so you don't have to use MIUI

Mine doesn't either but with my luck the damn thing probably will.

Probably. I wanted to go the titanium route, but had to format userdata, because TWRP wouldn't load up. I think system apps are already backed up by Google.

Nandroid back up, transfer back up to PC, factory reset, and then do everything else

is the moto g4 still a good phone? I can get it for 100usd

Using Bluetooth for audio is like having someone tell you that the ice cream you bought contains traces of human shit but it's ok, you can't really taste it anyway.

Meanwhile the non shit regular ice cream is being dumped into a landfill because it's apparently too boring and safe.

2017 people.

The safe one being?

3.5mm jack

>Using obsolete tech from 19th century
Ok grandpa

If it ain't broke don't fix it

>using obsolete tech from 4500 BC
ok ancestor

pls respond

Ty. Necessary to nandroid ALL boxes? Or just system data

wheels are still somewhat useful, but tires are as useless as wires

Just got the Pixel. There are little gestures that I love about this phone like how it will automatically lock when you put it on a surface with the screen facing down and unlock when you pick it up.

no, fuck you

then why not have a 3.5mm jack (wheel) but skip the wires (tires) why have the wireless built in to a sealed device restricting your options for what products to buy that will work with it
face it the removal of an open well known standard such as 3.5mm and to move to unupgradable integrated bluetooth is just another sign of planned obsolescence
enjoy needing a new phone when 3.5mm to quantum entanglement adapters exist allowing you to listen to music in real time from literally anywhere

pls respond

>moto g4
>28nm chip
yeah nah go 14nm for your battery's sake

I would nandroid everything just in case.

which phone you recommend?

if you are dead set on moto then the z play from 2016 it should be close to 60% off at this point, has the 14 nano meme, amoled and fuck huge battery shame its a phablet

Should i upgrade to oreo?