just ordered the new iphone x, user :^)

is it possible to install a bsd os into that phone

bezels are so fat it's shit.

b-but
>iOS is now open source

We have any specs yet?

linux btfo

From their website:

The specs will be finalized as late as efficiently possible to ensure the best available components. The hardware will run almost any GNU+Linux based distribution, and it will also work with 2G/3G/4G, GSM, UMTS, and LTE networks.

5″ touchscreen
i.MX 6 or i.MX 8 CPU (we’re already making progress on our roadmap to i.MX 8)
Vivante GPU (Etnaviv free software accelerated driver)
Separate mobile baseband
3GB LPDDR3
32GB eMMC
MicroSD slot
Camera (front and back)
Flash
Headphone and Microphone Jack (3.5mm)
Microphone
Speaker
Power Button
Volume Controls
SIM Slot
WiFi 802.11
Bluetooth 4
Debugging interface (internal)
USB Host
USB Type-C
Battery
Sensors:
GPS
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Compass
Ambient Light
Proximity
Hardware kill switches for:
Camera
Microphone
Baseband
WiFi/Bluetooth
*Specifications are subject to change.

>Headphone and Microphone Jack (3.5mm)
holy shit what an outdated mess

Reasonable bait. 3.5/10

how much will it cost?

>Camera (front and back)
>WiFi 802.11
i get the not wanting to finalize bit, but i'd like more specificness
>3.5mm jack
>usb type C
a unicorn indeed

but can i get it at my local verizon (TM) store?
and can i flash lineage os on it?

I don't think they've decided on one yet. Backers can get it for 600 dollars though. The Campaign ends in nine days.

Also from their website:
The Librem 5 can be used in any of three ways:

With a cellular carrier provided phone number, data plan, and WiFi

With a cellular carrier data plan, and WiFi

With no carrier, and using only WiFi

WiFi calling and VoIP calling will be able to be provided in WiFi or data plan modes. We expect to offer call-out, and call-in with phone numbers in all of these plans as well. If you still require a “traditional” phone number through a carrier and want to make unencrypted phone calls or messaging, it will be an option you can choose, but is not required (we recommend avoiding unencrypted phone calls).

you're autistic, maybe you don't need bezels since your phone never leaves your greasy hands in your smelly room

so traditional phone calls are unencrypted?

can i play diner dash on it

Supossedly traditional using us based telecommunications have to comply with CALEA, Because Matrix, the voip and texting app they use, isn't telco it doesn't have to follow CALEA standards.

Holy shit that navigation bar looks like a 5-year-old made it in paint

thinking about this too. I don't need a riced out phone.

I mean, are you faggots really ssh-ing into your server or opening a terminal and running commands on your phone? All I use my phone for is SMS, Snapchat, and Sup Forums

>are you faggots really ssh-ing into your server
Yes, actually, it's pretty handy sometimes.

>All I use my phone for is SMS, Snapchat, and Sup Forums
So why spend $1000 on a phone, then? Any Android phone can do all three of those just fine, and you can do your SSH and terminal faggotry, too.

>So why spend $1000 on a phone, then?
Why buy a shitty phone?

>anything that isn't the latest and greatest iToy is a shitty phone!

The picture you posted is actually a lure and is not used in bait fishing, you stupid fucking idiot

Nice

well I have autism so I always have a laptop with me. I even have a backup Thinkpad that I keep in my car.

so you are saying I should use my upgrade to get a shitty phone?

stop lure posting

Threadly reminder that the Neo900, which tries to do something similar, but with an already existing hardware base needs 1k for much worse specs and the Jolla tablet failed with more funds, but nowhere near as much work, as they just bought in an existing hardware design
Can't wait for the Librem to turn out as the fraud that it is.

Why would Librem be a fraud? They've already released a few laptops after successful kickstarter campaigns and the laptops did what they advertised.

i think the laptops are generally seen as great hardware, but "overpriced"

>$600 FOR LDDR3 RAM AND 32GB SPACE.

Top jew

2019 jan? Who the fuck can wait so long?

>Microphone
>Speaker
>Power Button
>Volume Controls
>SIM Slot

Nexus 6P has Type C and a jack.

>massive out of place looking icons
>terrible design that looks like a poor attempt at a clone
>that xbox huge arrow
>one camera
>hideous font

what does this mean? Non apple phones can have ios?

Nothing happened.

it means android and linux are useless
use macos masterrace

>Implying all of the parts that actually make a usable iOS system aren't still proprietary

>iOS
>usable system
I already have a dumbphone.

There is any Linux distro that allows to make calls/send smses?

this uses pureOS but i think you can boot anything non here

I was thinking to root my android phone and install pureOS

does it even have an app store?

so they sell phone that don't allow to call or send sms lmao.

nah... it will. I just haven't seen proof

>as late as efficiently possible

>USB Type-C
Stop.

How to buy?

>$ call 0225551254
>permission denied

>600 dollars though
What the fuck? How can it even be more than $80? This shit is not right, you can just get a Samsung for that money.

Snap store

Are you implying phones have bezels for better handling?

wait til 2019
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Economies of scale you moron.

privacy hardware is expensive
not made in a sweatshop
has to be tested

How is this any different than the ubuntu phone?
Ubuntu couldnt make it work, these dingbats arent going to either

>why would the jolla campaign fail, they already released their OS and a phone after successfully working at Nokia and the phone did what they advertised
idk pham

Already put in my pre-order.

It will be if someone wants to port it and make a mobile UI for it.

Not bad, actually. I'm going to enjoy this thing.

>>iOS is now open source
Stop lying, you fucking kike.

No. He's a lying Jew and only the base kernel and a few libraries are open source. A majority of iToddler OS is closed source still.

The cellular modem and baseband software does that. All the kernel does is regulate the devices through their firmware (drivers) like the ear speaker and microphone and the userland provides a GUI dialer application. So basically, GNU/Linux or PureOS or whatever it's called has very little to do with the ability to make calls.

And that's why there's a hardware kill switch for the closed source modem.

>$600 for what is gonna be at most a quad core 1.2GHz Cortex-A9 CPU

>>>iOS is now open source
>Stop lying, you fucking kike.

>he doesn't know
opensource.apple.com/release/ios-1021.html

>tfw I just want a Gnome 3 phone
It's never going to happen is it? ;_;

uhh... user?
this supports it

It's just the kernel base and some libraries, you fucking tech illiterate.

They are not going to deliver

The Purism laptops are a bunch of horse shit, still just an intel laptop complete with the intrusive ME engine and blobs they cant access. They just put their own linux distro on it.

I see they concede that with their phone too, the only thing that makes this phone special is the hardware kill switches.
Because guess what, when the kill switch is off its just as intrusive and spying as any other phone.

Just get an unlocked phone and install a rom on it. I cant believe people are backing this garbage

Ubuntu phone didnt have anyone to sell it to, and it was ubuntu (also at the time where ubuntu had adds and all that other crap). This one is KDE/Gnome. You can figure it out by yourself why its different now.

Yes they are. Gnome themselves have funded part of the project and are working on it. Stop being a retard

>You can figure it out by yourself why its different now.

Its literally marketed at the same people

By someone else in a totally different way. If ubuntu phone had a funding campaign, it wouldve never went anywhere because canonical is the shittiest company in the linux world. THEY HAD FUCKING ADS ON THEIR DISTRO FFS. Just off yourself please

Is there a demo of the software?

If the battery is removable this will be the perfect phone.

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
Learn to read you fucking dumbass

Do you honestly think a few advertisements were going to keep the enthusiasts away?
The small minority of people that these phones actually pertain to?

Are you retarded?

if it can run all these distros, why couldn't it run more desktops?
It is also possible that it can run Android and iOS

Yes. It's litteraly the reason i stopped recommending ubuntu and stopped using ubuntu for anything. I dont want my OS to take every single thing i type and search and turn it into information to sell to advertisers. If you do, please off yourself

>he would look at ads on his OS
windows 10 user detected

>considering
>literally nothing

There was an opt out for it, the outrage was that it was on by default.
also

>the other option is IOS or Android

If your convictions were that strong you would have used the lesser of evils which would have been the ubuntu phone, but you didnt and neither did any of the other people that this phone is marketed to. It going to flop just as hard.

didn't this get removed?

Mi Note 2 has both USB type C and a headphone jack.

Like everything Librem makes, this will be a huge disappointment.

what does jolla have to do with this

It's already flopped less hard than ubuntu phone by getting funded. They actually wanted to succeed in their funding effort and already have the means to at least get the hardware into peoples hands which is much more than ubuntu ever did. Their phone project was more of a focus group than an attempt.

Librem's still going to fuck it up somehow, but it'll sell.

it's still in development though right?
now's the time to start openly criticizing their decisions

Just another failed attempt at getting people to leave the grasp of apple and google ecosystems, much like this will be.

People who give a fuck already have unlocked phones and are using privacy based roms

checked and I don't think they've actually announced any decisions.

Their whole business model is misrepresenting how "open" their designs are to draw in normies who want to jump on Muh Open Sores bandwagon.

Underneath the hood, their products are still just as botnet as anything else out there.

This. Actually the correct term.

I would be Interested in such a phone.
I mean you get tracked nevertheless by the nsa via triangulation from your provider, but it is a good shot in the right direction i want society to drift.

>I mean you get tracked nevertheless by the nsa via triangulation from your provider, but it is a good shot in the right direction i want society to drift.
just killswitch everything and turn it on when you need it.

Is normies latching on to the open sores meme necessarily a bad thing? It might be a bad thing for our sekret klub and what not, but isn't it a good thing for the advancement of privacy in tech?

you have to be blind to not see the parallels.
2.5 million wasn't enough to port a mobile os from smartphone to tablet, 1.5 won't be enough to build a device from scratch, including the hardware.

What is being made that is wholly original with this project exactly?

Then they get a moving signature as well.
And the point in having a mobile phone is that you can be called if neccessary.
I am not stallman-mode yet.

An own chassis, which needs its own mold and production chain
An own pcb, which needs its own production line to be populated, this will prove especially difficult due to all the rather uncommon parts they want to use
Then they need to find people who are even willing to do that with batches so fucking small
Then they need to find suppliers who won't scalp them for the small batches of parts they have to order

And don't forget the community that will fucking rip this thing apart, especially due to everything being so vague. They didn't even specify if it's a capacitive or resistive touchscreen. The special snowflakes supporting this shit will throw a tantrum about everything, just look at jolla again. The damn thing doesn't even support exfat due to people being against paying licensing to microshaft.
They say the battery is replaceable, but will there be spare batteries? It's not that easy getting small batches of phone batteries for decent prices. What will they sell for?

The different CPUs alone. Jesus, one is a piece of shit, while the other one has been announced since fucking 2013, still isn't released and is outdated by at least two years already. When the devices actually ship, which will be in at least a year from now, if at all, the iMX 6 will lag like shit on every modern website, while the i.MX 8 will have about a fourth of the compute power of the competition.

There's a reason these people did this on their own conditions and not on Kickstarter, where they would've had much more exposure. They don't have a prototype, or anything for that matter. All they got is an idea and now they also got your money. Have fun, this will be a wild ride.

We wait.

Canonical didn't "flop." They got ten times more funding than Purism did.
The key factor is that manufacturing a phone in 2010 (especially considering the absolute beast Edge was supposed to be) was far more expensive. Their campaign was for 30 million dollars and they got 15. Had they done it today they would have been able to deliver.

No you didn't, you fucking troll liar. It doesn't go on pre-order until the 27th.