Is Budgie the closest we ever got to make Linux look good?

Is Budgie the closest we ever got to make Linux look good?

And by "look good" I don't mean >muh i3 green terminal+anime_girl.jpeg wallpaper haxxxx0r good

I mean really decent, usable, consistent, pleasant aesthetically, like macOS

Other urls found in this thread:

bunsenlabs.org/img/frontpage-gallery/hydrogen2.jpg
webupd8.org/2017/02/alternative-global-menu-for-mate-and.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>decent, consistent, usable
>like macos
As soon as you start installing third party programs macos is none of these things. And this is coming from a huge macfag.

That would be KDE Plasma 5

>Is Budgie the closest we ever got to make Linux look good?
Are you stupid? DE doesn't fucking matter when it comes to looks, you can make everything look the way you want. You know, that Linux is modular and you can customize it any way you want?

This is ugly :(

as fuck :(

looks like shit

antergos with gnome looks better

>two docks
>wasted space

thats not how plasma 5 looks now, that seems like a early version
although i still think plasma is not that good looking out of box but is very good and customizable and great to use after customizing it to my needs

not as long as these fuck-ugly start menus are around. Bunsenlabs has moved all of that into the right-click menu, and it looks much better: bunsenlabs.org/img/frontpage-gallery/hydrogen2.jpg

That's actually how most of old DEs used to function. It's still kinda comfy if you don't really maximize windows and have cursor-to-focus workflow.

>Chinese software
>html based

no thanks. I can make even a WM look as good if I wanted to without the chinese backdoor.

>decent, usable, consistent, pleasant aesthetically
so kde

Why do people always confuse Bungie with Deepin?

Budgie is nice. But in Ubuntu 17.10 Final Beta you're not able to drag a picture from your browser so any folder.

Pretty annoying.

Also if you have 2 screens with one on top of the other, you're gonna have a bad time with some display elements

How do you use those bottom icons and why do you need that many?

so you recommend Solus?
or Debian+Budgie ?

See

elementary OS has the best design

>using two docks

Debian Budgie
Or just wait until final release of ubuntu budgie 17.10

I3 looks good but its not practical. Only an autist would think remembering 50 different key combinations is efficient.

Yep, been using Antergos/Windows dual boot happily for 3 years now.

>using k bloat
>any year

exactly

Alt+number keys
Alt+arrow keys
Alt+shift+arrow keys

This is all you need to know to use i3 as a daily driver.

>muh 2gb ram shitbox is struggling :(

>And by "look good" I don't mean >muh i3 green terminal+anime_girl.jpeg wallpaper haxxxx0r good
that is the only kind of "look good"

I actually like KDE.

KDE will actually run ok on 2GB of RAM as long as you don't open more than 3-4 things at once. I know it's limited but it's not that horrible. Just buy more RAM if you need it.

See where I'm running with 3GB of RAM.

KDE user here. Only if it's stability matched its functionality.

>that is the only kind of "look good"
yeah if you're unemployed and into LARPing

>this cheap mess
>good
think again fuccboi

No... If you're older than 18 you damn kid. You can come back here when you develop some sophisticated tastes and can appreciate a good WM with lolis.

I run KDE with 500MB of ram just fine. With a browser it doesn't even hit 1GB. Here I'm streaming TAD and browsing the Internet and have a chess engine running. Uptime is almost 2 weeks. That's how terrible KDE is.

looks exactly like GNOME wonder why

everybody needs to just copy macOS's Aqua environment. It really is the best.

>as you don't open more than 3-4 things at once

I tried so many distros, Zorin os is fucking comfy and not buggy at all (installed on my T430 ) everything i needed worked out of the box

wow kde looks like utter dog shit

That just looks like openbox

Define "look good" because you're just being idiotic asking such a question. I don't care what Linux looks like because no matter what the graphical aspects would be Linux itself still fucking sucks.

yeah. kde4 looked way better :^)

>KDE
>consistent

>using the smiley with a carat nose

(v:

>using the backwards smiley with the v nose

What's a good macfag icon pack and dock? I already have Manjaro Budgie but I want to rice it for a macfag look/feel just for the heck of it

KDE plasma is fantastic its easy as fuck to customize and can be made to look like macOS or windows

:>)

yea probably the most consistent fully featured DE

>dock
ugh

learn2 xfce

I never get the appeal of fussing over wallper and DE. 99% of the time I'm full screen on a browser or movie or something that 100% obscures everything else. In that way I could care less if I'm on a mac, linux, or windows, as their specific OS layer is something I interact with 1% of the time I'm on a computer. Okay, that is a bit of a stretch, as I moved from win10 to linux because I couldn't stand the win10 impositions which made me have to fuss with the OS for say 5% instead of 1% of my total computer time.

Icon pack names please?

pape
I may have just orgasmed

Why unite, nerdtree and ctrlp.
Unite does that already

It looks like shit out of the box but once you install some themes it looks great

How did you get the"File Edit View Go" and so on thingy?

See, here you've demonstrated the futility of "looking good" in your own post. Different people have different tastes. The best you can hope for is a UI that 95% of people can stand to use every day. The best, and only real options are either to offer radically different aesthetic options, or have things easily and heavily configurable.

Gotta agree, GNOME is the closest linux has got to being good looking out of the box. Whenever someone posts KDE screens all these fucking spergs come out of the woodworks with comments like:
>b-but you only need to spend 6 hours ricing it to make it look halfway appealing

??

webupd8.org/2017/02/alternative-global-menu-for-mate-and.html

Where is Budgie in the pic? I can only see the GNOME Desktop.

>it has a bunch of ugly icons at the bottom
I hate Macs and I hate Mac try hards

You should speak with your psychotherapist

That window deco looks rad as fuck. Is there something like this for linux?

xfce-settings > window manager tweaks > compositor > opacity of window manager decorations from 100% transparent to 100% opaque

is probably the closest you will get on Linux

I hoped for a finished theme for emerald/smaragd or auroae. They should be able to handle this.

Yes

could you please elaborate sir

>Budgie
>make Linux look good
>like macOS
kys faggot

Funny how making it "look good" means turning your lincuck desktop like either OSX or Windows.

That just looks like someone took Cinnamon and OSX and mashed them together. It doesn't look consistent at all imo.

If you want your desktop to look like OSX you are probably better off with KDE as it can look however you want it to look with very minimal effort

how bout no deco at all

>chromium OS
enjoy your lack of codecs and doing anything significant

>desktop has a dock
>muh OSX clone

>desktop has a panel
>muh Windows clone

>desktop has no dock or panel
>muh ricer shit

he's retarded
what do you except

I never enjoyed MacOS. That said, to the people who do, I recommend Deepin. That said, I always found MacOS difficult to use. I felt like what I imagine my father does when he uses Windows (fucking shortcuts all over the desktop).

I prefer Mint with Cinnamon.

Thanks famalan

downloading now

>only a tiny portion of programs use integrated titlebar, rest have a titlebar similar to all the Linux WMs

>of the programs that integrate the titlebar, the traffic lights are inconsistently placed and the integrated titlebars are inconsistent as fuck

>many gui programs and integrated titlebars still have the look of older MacOS releases

>double-clicking the titlebar or one of the edges does... something, it's very inconsistent too

>desktop has a thick panel acting as a dock
>muh Unity clone

>desktop has a completely transparent dock/panel
>muh ChromeOS clone

Can you fucks post the name of the theme, icon theme, fonts and any app-specific theme?
If you are going to try to show off your desktop, at least provide some info on it.

Mine:
- Arc-darker GTK Theme (QT just adapted to it). Default text color changed to 100% black instead of dark-bluish-grey (why that is the default is beyond me), removed some animated transitions.
- Papirus Icon theme
- Liberation fonts with no AA. Terminus for programming, but Liberation mono is also OK.

Not completely happy with it, Arc is good but hides some separators from view. Also dislike the slight use of animations and transitions, managed to disable all of them as far as I can tell.
Papirus is "too round" for me, would prefer something "sharper". They also tend to make all the icons slightly too similar to each other. I like the fact that they have icons for EVERYTHING.
Liberation is an decent font for me, but it is time to make the switch to AA fonts. Too lazy to search for fonts that look decent on AA, accepting suggestions.

>Can you fucks post the name of the theme, icon theme, fonts and any app-specific theme?
>If you are going to try to show off your desktop, at least provide some info on it.

Me here Almost all that information is literally in the screenshot. That's part of the screenfetch output. Default icon theme. I don't remember what the theme was called for the titlebar buttons. I just typed "osx" into the theme downloader and picked one.

devilspie for deco removal
tilda tmux

Oh, forgot screenshot.

You are right, pretty much just replied to all posts with screenshots as most of them did not have any info whatsoever.

owo ?

Gnome is shit. SHIT

Can anybody help me get launchers in panel that also minimize Windows to the launcher icon like pic related in xfce?

Manjaro budgie or Solus budgie for my 2007 white macbook ?

Even some of apples own software is ugly beyond compare

use this
>Design: Breeze transparent dark
>Capitaine cursors

For proper context menu and font
>Icons: La Capitaine

This is urgent.