I've never used an e-reader before

I've never used an e-reader before.

The Kindle Paperwhite sounds like it's basically the best. Apparently it can't use the most common file type, epub, though.

Can most books be downloaded for free? I'm looking for classics, history, and political works.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/koreader/koreader
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This had been done to death on Sup Forums, but the Amazon hardware is the same as everyone elses: they all source the same panels and SoCs. But pretty much any other option will be more open and support more formats than a Kindle.

In most countries Kobo is the alternative. A Glo HD would be the direct competitor to the Paperwhite, but there are a couple higher-end-than-that Kobo's (H2O2 and One)

You're neglecting a lot of features though, for example the Kobo H2O(Gen. 1) supports expansion while the H2O(Gen. 2) does not.

Expansion is only an issue if you only looks at cartoons and want to have a huge collect on it.

The H2O v2 has the f.lux lighting which is worth the trade-off imo, plus it's a lot thinner/slicker.

>The Kindle Paperwhite sounds like it's basically the best
No, but you're probably a poorfag in which case it's the best in the $100 range.
Kobo Aura One is currently the best ereader on the market, but it costs $200-220, something like that.

Kobo glo HD is the best you can get.

if you're going the piracy route just get a kobo, the only reason to use amazon is if you like their ebook store

>a shitty outdated ereader from 2015 is the best ereader you can get
Have you been living in a cave for the past 3 years?

You can't both be right, so which one is it?

What about converting file types so the kindle can read it? Not 100% guaranteed? Fucks up formatting or something?

It seems the Kobo Aura (6") has replaced the Glo HD in the lineup, but it looks like the panel's been downgraded enormously (in terms of resolution).

For for a low-end ~$100 reader a Paperwhite is the way to go now unless you can find a Glo HD.

Or you have reference material, or textbooks, magazines, catalogues, art history, contemporary art and etc... Most of that shit can take up 300GB+ depending on format. And then yeah, manga and comics will take substantial amounts of space. Then there's the 550GB+ of books in a torrent on /t/ so take it as you will, but expandability is a key feature.

What’s the best large screen ereader? I want something I can read PDFs on.

Either one is fine, I happen to prefer Kindle's hardware and form. You can download literally thousands of books in a number of places and there are many free ebook libraries online. That with calibre to convert any ebook to .azw/.mobi format.

Newer doesn't mean better.

It depends on what you want to spend.

Amazon is ahead in hardware on the low end now, but then you're stuck with Amazon's closed-down system. You'll want to use a community firmware like Koreader.

Kobo is the clear option if you want more than the basics (the high-end Amazon readers are complete meme-tier), but then you're looking at $180 USD for an H2O or $230 for a One.

I don't think any reader will support more than a 32GB SD card, no?

It's possible to change the kindle to a different firmware? What can you do?

How large?

If you're talking +7" things get really really expensive.

github.com/koreader/koreader

Basically includes all the features Amazon should have. Never used it myself so I don't know how stable it is, but people seem to like it.

You can also install it to a Kobo although it seems much less compelling there.

Money is not an issue.

None that I've seen, but principally speaking expansion isn't something that should be shirked off in such a cavalier manner. Say for example you were gonna end up Hatchet'd and you either:
A) had survival guides with lots of pictures and reference materials and a chemistry textbook
B) Had the novel hatchet and a dozen mangas

What size? These things go up to 13", but that's pretty absurdly large.

OP here, thanks for all the info. I think I'll pass on the Kindle then. I definitely want something that adjusts the screen lighting to help with sleeping.

Kobo, is the only good answer. ExtSD, multi-format support

If that's the case the only readers that do that are the H2Ov2 (6.8"), the One (7.8") , and the Tolino 4 HD (6").

but I read the book so I would just go find the trapper immediately instead of fucking around in the woods and almost dying repeatedly

If all you want to do is read books then the paperwhite is better because it's the same dpi as the kobo glo and a lot cheaper.

t. 67 books read on my kindle so far

This user is correct, I have paperwhite and its good, no problems at all but kobo aura one is just better. Kobo warm screen color/backlight is also better than kindle 'cool' blueish backlight

But then you (Alex) don't become a hard ass OG mo'fukkah. What good does a trainwreck of a plane crash do if one rootie tootie prick doesn't walk out virtually unscathed only to defy mother nature at every turn and survive against adversity at every turn. What kind of shitty narrative is your life guided by?

Buy a Kobo instead. I've never touched Amazon's e-readers due to their format support (plus pushing something that ISNT standard) and zero DRM-free options on their store.

Anyway the more popular or more recent the book the easier it is to find for free. Though for recent stuff support living authors if you can. Truly classic stuff is in the public registry so there's sites dedicated to hosting them which is nice.