RAID / FILE SYSTEMS (fs)

Let's discus those RAID Arrays and file systems you got.

>"Apple's HFS+ is probably the worst file system ever" - Linus 'Tech-Tips' Torvalds

Other urls found in this thread:

cockpit-project.org/running.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fresh install...

damn, son. Why did you start out so large?

Oh hai

I could afford to.

>25.5TB
>1.8TB drives
>all mounted as /home
holy fuck lol. virtual storage: volumes larger than your disk space
Not only are you bullshitting us about your storage capacity, you've made it integral to your system. Fucking retarded.

>Not only are you bullshitting us about your storage capacity, you've made it integral to your system. Fucking retarded.

How do you know he's bullshitting and what's wrong with it being "integral to" the system?

>How do you know he's bullshitting
we can see 5 2TB drives, about half the list

>what's wrong with it being "integral to" the system?
He has to mount the whole fucking 25TB volume in order to use the system.
If he had made something like a /bigdrive folder, he coul use the system, or dismount the enormous volume (while it fsck's itself) or whatever. He's painted himself into a corner doing what hes doing.

How many memory do you guys use? i went with the 1Gb per Tb rule and bit more for the rest of the system (16Gb total) and it works great.

/home isn't necessary to boot the system but yeah it is stupid to do that.

>we can see 5 2TB drives, about half the list
Because it's limited by the screen resolution. Doesn't mean he's bullshitting.

>He has to mount the whole fucking 25TB volume in order to use the system.
It's a server. It's probably on 24/7

>If he had made something like a /bigdrive folder, he coul use the system, or dismount the enormous volume (while it fsck's itself) or whatever.
What?

>He's painted himself into a corner doing what hes doing.
How?

>He's painted himself into a corner doing what hes doing
That's actually a good point of advice. I currently

btrfs isn't that hard on the system. That being said, I have 8 GiB.

Does Debian have an equivalent to this web-admin setup?

>Does Debian have an equivalent to this web-admin setup?

cockpit-project.org/running.html

>/home isn't necessary to boot the system
It is for multi user mode.

>It's a server. It's probably on 24/7
until his cat chews the power and it goes down.
Then when it comes back up, fsck has to run through 25TB before it can be mounted.

>What?
so instead of making /home his 25TB, he could have mounted it under it's own directory, something like /bigdrive. Odds are it's just going to house his japanamation and mango collection

>How?
because maintenance is going to suck when shit goes sideways

>Because it's limited by the screen resolution. Doesn't mean he's bullshitting.
I guess he could have a mishmosh of random drives in addition to the 5 2TB drives we can see. Based on his mounting point, who knows. I bet he just made an enormous 25TB logical volume because he's using LVM

Many thanks! Strange that it's only in backports considering Stretch just came out.

I am extremely confident that Linus "I married an actual cockroach" Tech-tip is qualified to make the call on what constitutes a good filesystem

Tove Torvalds looks like a nice woman.
What are you talking about?

How is btrfs RAID 1? Once I get some more drives I'm planning on setting up some sort of raid 1 set up and btrfs looks very nice with it's flexibility for different sized drives. Some people have said btrfs loses data a lot, is that true anymore?

I have a 4x 8TB Reds in RAID0. AMA

brb doxxing ur IP

How many cocks do you suck a night

MacBook Pro: 512 GB APFS
Home Server: 4TB, RAID1, xfs

not in picture: 1TB, NTFS in Gaming PC.

>It is for multi user mode.
you can boot up to the login screen, along with all system services without needing /home

>worst file system ever
I dunno it worked fine for me. Timemachine over netatalk and openvpn is another story. It have corrupted my backups few times in the past.

How's your death wish going?

>How is btrfs RAID 1?
RAID 1 has been stable for a while now and I liked how I was able to simple add a drive and switch RAID profiles while live with odd numbers of drives. RAID 5/6 isn't 100% yet, but should be getting some fixes in the 4.14-LTS. I'll probably switch (re-balance) to RAID 5 in a year or so once it has proved itself.

>you can boot up to the login screen, along with all system services without needing /home
Unless your services run from the /home directory, which based on the fact that it TWENTY FIVE FUCKING TERRORBYTES, is probably the case.
Check, and mate.

your argument is flawed
you argue that system services are likely using /home because it's the main storage unit so will have most of your data on it
however, if it was mounted elsewhere, like for example /mnt/storage, then your services would just use that instead, would it not?
it would need to be mounted during boot either way

>your argument is flawed
nope

>however, if it was mounted elsewhere, like for example /mnt/storage
it's mounted as home

Picture marked up as evidence that I'm not talking out of my ass.

am i being trolled?

did you fully allocate a fucking 25TiB volume group to /home?

how the fuck do you even plan on snapshotting? you're not using btrfs so your lv's have to have some definitive size.

>am i being trolled?
nah he's just a fucking n00b who doesn't understand how fucking stupid what he is doing is.

>how the fuck do you even plan on snapshotting
lol. he doesn't understand the concept. his logical volume is larger than the amount of disk he has. smoke and mirrors