Why did Microsoft push windows 10 so hard?

I'm not memeing either, why was it so aggressively pushed? They own so much of the market.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcmag.com/roundup/310159/the-best-windows-tablets
youtube.com/watch?v=CRfi_Vfg3Wo
windowscentral.com/windows-core-os
youtube.com/watch?v=E7zt8dxBi8A
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
techbout.com/disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10-30878/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how do i access the files on my hdd which has w7 after upgrading to and installing w10 on a new ssd?

telemetry

Windows is not a product any more, it's a service.

How are they going to make their money?
This is where they send info to their servers, right? What is recorded?

As said above, telemetry. We ain't even memeing too. MS realized that a google business model would make a lot of shekels, that's why it came out for free and pushed hard.

You have much to learn, newfriend.

The product is now the user.

please help i am retard

The same way facebook makes money

Selling your data? But how is your data useful if it can't be connected to who you are? (according to a search online)
uhhh, you plug in the harddrive to your desktop?

>push for unified smartphone/pc hybrid with w8
>fail miserably
>retract a bit with w10
>shut down smartphone branch
>leave the cancer on pc

w e w
e
w

>But how is your data useful if it can't be connected to who you are?
Guess what, it is connected
Even if they don't know your name (and they do, since you have to login to the new "apps" with your MS account), the data is still very useful - even without a definite label like your name

yea i get that, but none of my programs can be used when i boot from the ssd
do i need to reinstall everything? (drivers/games/etc)

>they own so much
win10 is 25-30% of the market last i checked, and Win7 is still 50% even after all the hardcore shilling and forced upgrades
fuck theres still a comparable amount of people on XP as OSX

The seller is still Microsoft. The buyer is now Microsoft. What's there endgame?

so they can data mine you

this, MS went full retard. fortunately you can disable most of the cancer with ultimate tweak tool.

My i7, 8 gig ram laptop was practically unusable

If they know your location they know your name

NWO

But how is the data useful, who finds it worth buying?

see

Microsoft isn't the buyer if you're giving your information to them for free

>this, MS went full retard. fortunately you can disable most of the cancer with ultimate tweak tool.

haha

hahahahahaha

Windows 10 collects user data
Nsa needs user data
It's """illegal""" to spy on individuals
It's not illegal for the nsa to ask Microsoft to give you data they have collected
It isn't illegal for Microsoft to collect this data as long as you accept the TOU
You automatically accept the tou by installing windows

People still think this is about selling your data to make money...kek

>it's weird wanting your customers to be on the newest version instead of being fragmented in 9001 old-to-ancient releases

>win10 is 25-30% of the market last i checked, and Win7 is still 50%
win7 is below 50
xp is WAY below os x
os x ~10%

but sure thing

right, saves them time and money
but anons are literally too retarded to understand beyond what they've been memed into believing
so they think the only reason is because of data collection

You are probably thinking in terms of individual. Your data alone isn't very valuable. When you have thousands/millions of peoples data you can start to use tools to sift through it all and find trends to make predictive models. Thats what this is all about, mining huge sums of raw data then feeding it to an IA to find patterns and make predictions. Thats the valuable part.

When you factor in the analytics arms race going on, the methods to collect that data become more and more intrusive which leads to questions/ethics of, what are they mining, who houses that data, who's buying it, how secure is it and what are they doing with it.

They lost alot of ground with 8

Probably this. Ever since day 1, everyone was spouting how bad windows 8 was. They needed to change their public image.

Excellent bait, Pajeet
But they have to support edge cases anyway

That sounds messed up, do you think laws for most countries will catch up to cover these privacy loopholes?
Windows 10 had a poor launch too and many controversies though, I don't think it's that.

they don't want to support 38 different versions of the same fucking thing anymore

So that's why they made like 30 different win10 versions
right

Better question; why did they make Windows 10 so fucking hideous? Even custom themes can't change how ugly shit like Settings looks. Who the fuck wants their desktop experience to look like a smartphone?

Windows 10 mobile had the exact same settings app, and MS decided that apps must be cross compatible between the two
Now win10 mobile is dead, and left over is the app shit that nobody wants to touch - but they will have to when microsoft drops win32 in a few years

Microsoft will never drop win32.

Not internally
But for third parties, of course they will

>microsoft drops win32 in a few years

at this point everyone will move over to linux

Not if retarded devs release shit on the win10 store

Those apps are also used for Hololens, Xbox, Windows 10 tablet etc...

> everyone will move over to linux
People were saying for 30 years now and here where are.

Isn't the linux install base higher than ever?

apps is the future since Apple made it mainstream for everyone.
Only retards think that win32 will survive

>stuff that doesn't happen.

>muh telemetry
If Microsoft actually spies on you with keyloggers and shit, that functionality would also be patched into Windows 8 and 7. You can not escape the botnet, if you use Windows at all, you might as well use 10. I use Enterprise LTSB and I really like it. Your precious Windows 7 isn't respecting your privacy any more than Windows 10 does. You can't trust propitiatory software.

People say that about literally every single new Windows version, personally I like the way it looks.

Hi pajeet
>Windows 10 tablet
No such thing exists
>Xbox
Irrelevant here
>Hololens
Irrelevant

No

>No such thing exists
pcmag.com/roundup/310159/the-best-windows-tablets
indeed you are irrelevant.

8>10 tho

Windows tablets use the normal desktop version, retard

Windows 10 desktop literally has a "Tablet mode" retard

What about a chart from 10-years ago to now?

>unknown
What the fuck?

So what??
youtube.com/watch?v=CRfi_Vfg3Wo

Their goal is to make Windows modular for all their stuff: windowscentral.com/windows-core-os

I liked windows 98s look
I liked windows 2000s look
XP was alright, thankfully let you have the old style
Vista looked god awful
7 looked alright, but even when it came out I found it tacky
8 is an abortion, no old shell option
10 is 10

Thanks pajeet

No idea bruh but from a normie point of view, if i would move to anything, it would be chromebook or Macbook.

To defrag their user base

They had XP, 7 and 8 running

>hints they want to get rid of win32 in the article
hold me

Agreed, Windows 10 is a clusterfuck of inconsistent design. They went overboard with the flat design which looks like total ass.

The telemetry is not built into 7, and while updates bring this malicious functionality into 7, telemetry can still be entirely disabled with some work, unlike in Windows 10 which has been proven to phone home constantly even with telemetry entirely "turned off" with settings, 3rd party tools and custom hosts files.

Because of CISA (cybersecurity information sharing act, I think it stands for) which basically says that anything that users put into a "computer service" (which windows 10 is because you don't own it. You only have a license to use it) is owned by the owner of the service and can be sold without notifying the user. This includes shit on your computer and the reason that the EULA mentions that it looks trough your files is because they can sell information to for example film production companies that this or that person has a pirate copy. At least it's legal to do so and Microsoft clearly states in the user license agreement that they have technology to look through your files and access them and that it should be expected.

>classic windows
Clean, but a little too grey.
>XP
Cartoonish crap. Always used the silver theme.
>Vista
Over the top, but I liked the look as a child
>7
Vista, but with lighter colors.
>8
Finally no more glossy 2000s crap.
>10
Finally no more color bullshit

Windows 10 is probably my favorite look of them all. Only downside is that some icons look way too minimal now.

>telemetry can still be entirely disabled with some work
You can never know for sure. Also Enterprise with telemetry setting zero is pretty much equivalent to Windows 8's diagnostic telemetry, which is also enabled by default.

That would literally kill Windows. The only reason people use it is the billions of win32 apps and games written for it. Microsoft would be beyond retarded to do this.

Telemetry can be disabled on windows 10 too with some work but it disable the windows store with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=E7zt8dxBi8A

Which one was the best?

3.1 looks best.

Doesn't turning telemetry off on 10 also disable updates?

Because Windows 10 gives Microsoft two new sources of revenue.

1. They want you to use UWP apps from the Windows Store instead of traditional Win32 programs because they get a cut of the profit. :^)

2. They can show advertisements in these UWP programs and in other features of the OS (like the lock screen and start menu)

yes but it isn't an issue. Update and disable again or you can do it manually: catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

>believing this
kek

I'm very doubtful about this claim. I still see traffic to the known telemetry servers Microsoft use, even after having turned off everything I possibly could.

or just use 7 where updates work without telemetry.

>he didn't get the memo
Al recent update packs include DiagTrack

bindows as a service, bindows store, reducing the likelihood 10 gets widely regarded as yet another shitpile nobody wants or needs except for DX 12 gaymen which of course they could easily release for 7 and 8.1 but of course don't.

That start menu in your image is the answer. They realized they can turn the world's most used PC OS into an advertising and data collection platform. Unlike Facebook and Google which are just websites Windows is an entire operating system. The data they collect and the visibility of their "sponsored" content far exceeds anything any website could hope to accomplish.
I'm using 7 until 2020 and then it's off to Linux-land.

> Microsoft would be beyond retarded to do this.
They have proven to be multiple times by now

what about it? I got it early this year, but did
>sc stop diagtrack
>sc delete diagtrack
and it hasn't shown up ever since

They also included telemetry in all programs built with visual studio 2015

Well the point is to go forward not backward.

techbout.com/disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10-30878/
It works with Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, IoT and Server editions because of the group policy editor or registry editor.

Because they were loosing markets to Linux and Android and this was an attempt to stop it. It just failed.

>It works with Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, IoT and Server editions because of the group policy editor or registry editor.
It's a switch, but it doesn't mean that it has a wire connected to it.

Nice try Pajeet, but you didn't really answer anything or convince anyone with your post.

Try actually disabling the telemetry in 10 and watch what happens

The OS basically becomes unstable because it's entirely built upon it that it cannot function when it tries to phone home with no feedback

>people are surprised by the apps
Apple & Google & facebook etc does it and it works

>people are surprised by the data collection
Google, Apple, Facebook does it and it works.

This didn't come of nowhere.

>the point is to go forward
How about getting a 20th century commodity then?

It disable the updates and the store with it. As i said it works for those i quoted but your point is right for Windows 10 home & pro.

>chromebook
Congrats, you just migrated to Linux!

You don't even understand what I'm implying, are you.
Or are you just playing dumb? Hint: it wont work here

with Data collection for google!! Whoa it basically didn't change anything lul

you seems to be pretty dumb yourself to not understand what i am saying.

Hint: the updates and store are not the telemetry

>tfw Windows 7

So? Disabling the telemetry from the registry make unable to use the store or Windows Updates.

Do you really believe that the "telemetry" can be completely disabled that way?

On Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, IoT and Server editions yes but not on Windows home & pro because even you put at 0 or disable it, it still at 1.

Do you really believe that Windows 7 is safe from the botnet?

On Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, IoT and Server editions yes
lel
So, how much money do you get every day

NSA rolled out some new shit and some hidden court passed a hidden law and they need microsoft to help with it and ms is doing it cause they have no other choice cause NSA have too much dirt on MS that they can bankrupt them overnight
the thought of them spying on everything you do is retarded
if i go missing after tonight you know that what i said is true

I don't follow you