Is there any hope for Mozilla?

Is there any hope for Mozilla?
I've stuck with Firefox mostly ouf of laziness and habit but it's in such a story state, I'm really wondering if there's anyone competent left working at Mozilla. Slow, unstable, compatibility issues - it's not just worse compared to the competition, it's objectively bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/
github.com/amq/firefox-debloat
github.com/dfkt/firefox-tweaks
download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-52.4.1esr-SSL&os=win64&lang=en-US
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1332447
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

KDIALOG SUPPORT WHEN

Anyone else's Firefox have been slow as fuck recently? For me it is laggy and uses tons of RAM nowadays, since version 55 I think, on 56 now.
It uses 2,7GB RAM at the moment, with three windows and quite a few tabs though. But in the same(or heavier) circumstances before 55 I had never went over 2GB.

It's has been all around shit for the last 3-9 months.

How many addons are you using? Changed any settings recently?

its been bad for me the last month or so. Sometimes it won't load when i click on links and bookmarks.

other times it will forever load without actually doing anything.

Go quantum.

Use v57, it feels like a new browser

No, worked fine until version 55 for me at least.

Six, not changed anything as far as I know.

Don't think I've had those specific problems, for me it always loads but is really slow for many things. Like now when typing it sometimes takes seconds for the text to appear.

Would the best option be to downgrade to version 54 and disable auto updates?

By being dead slow?

using more RAM does NOT mean its worse if you still have free RAM (also depends on the OS)

if theres still free RAM, using more RAM means using less disk for swapping (*nix)/virtual memory (windows)

Switch to Pale Moon

I guess, but it's one of the differences I've noticed since it turned to shit. RAM usage is at 62%

check out about:memory, you may see whats up over there

The saddest thing about Firefox in my opinion is the amount of security problems.
I'm not 100% sure if using extended release (older version) is better. I'm simply using dev Chromium and Waterfox

Lots of stuff there, something in particular to look for?
Did a Minimize memory usage and that got it down to 2GB at least.

I just checked to see my RAM usage with 10 tabs open. It stayed under 1Gb used with ten open.

Firefox 57 tho

If I install Fiefox Extended Support, will it overwrite my old regular one or will it install it alongside it?
And what about my Roaming folder (where my profile is)? Will it overwrite that too?

quantum

nigger what the fuck are you doing if your ff57 is slow.

bump

nightly is pretty fucking good but I made the switch to vivaldi after I heard mozilla gave 100k to some commie organization

vivaldi isnt as good but its just as fast imo
took me quite a while to set it up how I wanted it though

>just as fast imo
>no addon
wew

>some commie org
summer spotted

riseup has served email, vpn, and tails since before you discovered Sup Forums

Firefox Has been superceded by Brave
Get up to date, Son.

>no addons
>runs like shit on desktop
>horrible UI
brave is a joke

Can anyone else confirm that images on ebay fail to load while using firefox?
firefox on linux and windows will not display images, yet internet explorer on windows will load ebay images

Can someone explain to me the difference between Waterfox and Firefox?

Try the Nightly version.

waterfox removes FF data collection and reporting back to Mozilla, DRM shit, sponsered tiles, useless features like pockets, and allows XUL add-ons to be used

Basically just what FF used to be.

>Can anyone else confirm that images on ebay fail to load while using firefox?
Looks that way on my end too. Not sure if it's just my privacy setup though.

guy you replied to here.
noscript(allowed all), ublock plus(turned off), and ublock origin(turned off) on linux.
only have disabled(in ff addons page) ublock origin on windows.
cant think of anything else that would cause this problem, it working on ie should rule out dns.

Do you have the tracking protection on?

At this point I'm not even sure why I'm still using it.

I dont even know what that is.
I vaugly remember someone telling me to do some bullshit that sounded like that which may have been done on linux, but I didnt remember it long enough to do it on windows.

(this is me)
linux+windows guy here, I just went back to ebay and now it is working in firefox without any changes, updates, or reboots on linux and windows.
wait, I did disable noscript on linux addons page, but Im dismissing this because it was affecting windows too, and unless a linux ff browser extension can affect the operations of another computer then it cant be related.. so someone at ebay had to fix their pajeet teir website.

Tracking protection blocks some elements if they're used for tracking. It's a feature of Firefox.

>claims to be a free browser
>privacy policy alone is 9 pages long

Waterfox started as a teenager project to port x32 Firefox to x64...
Until Firefox officially released stable x64 since then waterfox had no purpose - and nowadays who takes care of that tells u it provides the things you mentions which are:
On Firefox has this data collection toggle for bugs - we remove the toggle entirely and repack the browser under a different name and put ours there too.

+ the code from waterfox was pretty shitty.

jfc this shill thread sticks out like a sore thumb
and people are still replying LMAO
Sage

Should tracking protection be off if you have uBlock origin running. And also uMatrix.
I have the problem that one PC 1 Firefox loads a bit slow, it's still bearable, but it still sucks. On PC 2 and also PC 3 Firefox is fast. Same settings and addons on all three. But still 1 is slow. CPU on 1 is a embedded J1900, PC 2 has a i5 4670k, and PC 3 has a i3 6100. Could it really be the CPU? All PCs have over 10GB RAM and run Win7 Ultimate. Also Chrome was like this too but yet a bit faster. Don't know what could be the Problem. Sry for the long text.

>to port x32 Firefox to x64...
Why even bother?

>Slow, unstable, compatibility issues
Is this propaganda or are you legitimately retarded and/or living under a rock?

Firefox is blazing fast now, and the upcoming release in November will be even faster with a new CSS engine written in Rust called Quantum: mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/

>Slow, unstable, compatibility issues - it's not just worse compared to the competition, it's objectively bad.
Anyone who actually uses Firefox knows that you're lying and false flagging.
>you know the competition is scared of Firefox's massive progress when there is dozens of anti Firefox threads being spammed by chrome and Firefox fork shills every day

It will offer an extra layer of protection, but in my experience uBlock and uMatrix already block what tracking protection would block. However if you allow something to pass those addons the tracking protection might catch it.

The only person lying here is you to yourself. I can't remember the last time I used Firefox WITHOUT it crashing on me.

Is there a list of prefs to fix security a little?

I know only about:
browser.cache.disk.enable set to false
browser.cache.offline.enable set to false
browser.cache.disk.capacity set to 0
browser.cache.offline.capacity set to 0
browser.safebrowsing.updateURL - remove address
browser.safebrowsing.reportURL - remove address
browser.safebrowsing.enabled - set to false
browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled - set to false
geo.enabled set to false
network.http.referer.XOriginPolicy - set to 1
network.http.sendRefererHeader - set to 1
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled set to false
dom.battery.enabled set to false
browser.send_pings set to false
webgl.disabled set to true
media.peerconnection.enabled set to false
loop.enabled set to false
geo.wifi.uri - replace address with " "
datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled set to false
datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled set to false
toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled set to false
network.prefetch-next set to false
browser.search.suggest.enabled set to false
toolkit.telemetry.enabled set to false
toolkit.telemetry.unified set to false
datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled set to false
browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled set to false
browser.send_pings.require_same_host set to true
social.whitelist - remove address

Yeah that makes sense. Thx

It's not propaganda, my FF regularly crashed after ~6 hours of browsing and it also has serious issues with multipe video/streaming playback.

My Firefox deletes my adblock filter lists with every startup since the last week or so and it's fucking infuritating.

Only one mozilla advantage is tree style tabs.
And they killed it in 57

because it is? We are effectively staring over with the new API

The only reason I’m happy Firefox exists is so that Brave can exist.

Force multiprocess and set 15 process, it runs pretty fast.

I thought the author was porting it. I don't know how well it functions though.

dont have anything in particular in mind, just take a look around and see you find anything out of the ordinary, maybe an addon or something that stands out

take a look at
github.com/amq/firefox-debloat
and
github.com/dfkt/firefox-tweaks

Besides these links, this is in my user.js

user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page");
user_pref("browser.urlbar.suggest.history", false);
user_pref("general.smoothScroll", false);

// Enable included extensions by default
user_pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 0);

// Disable useless extensions
user_pref("extensions.screenshots.disabled", true);
user_pref("reader.parse-on-load.enabled", false);

// Disable "smart bookmarks"
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.showRecentlyBookmarked", false);
user_pref("browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion", -1);

// Don't nag
user_pref("browser.customizemode.tip0.shown", true);
user_pref("browser.rights.3.shown", true);
user_pref("browser.tabs.warnOnClose", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.searchSuggestionsChoice", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.userMadeSearchSuggestionsChoice", true);
user_pref("general.warnOnAboutConfig", false);
user_pref("privacy.trackingprotection.introCount", 20);
user_pref("startup.homepage_welcome_url", "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page");

>FF 57 approaching
>most of my addons still XLU
>umatrix decides to fuck up for some reason
>noticed that it has updated to the new webextension version
>dropped all my rules and settings in the process

Who do I need to get in touch with to get paid shilling against firefox?

/beta/ is dead

>smooth scroll
>false

Literally the only reason I stick with this burning pile of crap. No other browser can gracefully bring a hard scroll to the bottom of the page.

>bring a hard scroll to the bottom of the page
what the hell do you mean by that? you wanna scroll to the bottom of the page? hit the end key

Why would I make up my experiences? I don't gain anything from shitting on FF, on the contrary I wish FF was great because that would mean I can just continue to do what I do and don't have to bother with the hassle of setting up a new browser.

Vivaldi has optional non-smooth scrolling.

Also mouse gestures. I can't find working mouse gestures extension fo FF57.

Nightly is great, it's really fucking heavy in terms of memory/energy usage though

SJWs always think others with different opinions/experiences are wrong because they don't agree to their expectations.
Don't even bother replying to that low bait again, let them get it stale, they'll board hop and move onto reddit.

I have 10 addons and only 2 don't have LEGACY next to them. How fucked am I?

When 57 is released to stable I suggest you do a complete wipe and clean install.
You will be amazed at the responsiveness and all the obligatory extensions like uMatrix and uBlock Origin are already released as WebExtensions so there's no worry.

Fix your fucking computer. I've been running *nightly* and had crashes on maybe one or two builds.

The port is shit. Pic related.

I think it was some issue on ebay's end. Something to do with their certificates and OCSP.

I wish I could use Firefox, but every time I try to use it, even with a totally new profile, its so fucking slow and laggy. After a few minutes it often crashes. And then I try another browser like Chrome and it's lightning fast.

Maybe my computer just sucks, but Firefox just sucks now, at least for me. Makes my computer laggy as hell

I just tried Firefox 57 today and it feels very fast. When I open the browser and it shows my tabs from last time, it only loads them when I individually click them (like it did before). Now the individual tab loading happens twice as fast.

From what I can tell the guy working on it will be using the 57 engine but integrating support for legacy extensions as well as the new WebExtensions platform. On top of that there's a lot of trash that has been disposed of:

Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)
Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
Removed Pocket
Removed Telemetry
Removed data collection
Removed startup profiling
Allow running of all 64-Bit NPAPI plugins
Allow running of unsigned extensions
Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
Addition of Duplicate Tab option
Locale selector in about:preferences > General

Insofar as performance and reliability are concerned though, from my brief foray with it, it seemed acceptable. Benches showed lower scores, but the performance was indistinguishable.

I don't think I've managed to crash firefox more than a handful of times and that was running boatloads of random stupid shit.

>two tabs
JUST

>Vivaldi has optional non-smooth scrolling
so does FF, and?

Vivaldi isnt open source

not at all, FF still works

>The port
what port? this aint a console game
>two tab bars
no, TST is not a tab bar and that doesnt come by default, so what do you want?
>Did they think id forget what addon this is?
maybe you would, maybe you wouldnt, but that sidebar is not made by/for the TST addon. try CTRL+H or CTRL+B
>Two tab bars (again)
you can hide the tab bar, learn how to use a search engine
>shitty font rendering
you cant even tell good and bad font rendering apart
>controls misaligned
what would you like them to be aligned with?

Not him, but that's the port of Tree Style Tabs to WebExtension retard.

oh hey thx retard, guess its more up the thread and i didnt read it
the rest still apply

No they don't. You have no idea what you're talking about. Tree Style Tabs is meant to display tabs in firefox as a tree. The fact that there are two tab bars is fucking wrong and buggy behaviour.

Just downloaded firefox quantum and this shit is FAST.

I WANT DOWTHEMALL and properly working ZOOM PER SITE plugin RIGHT NOW.

>Tree Style Tabs is meant to display tabs in firefox as a tree
yes, and it does exactly that.
it is not supposed to hide the tabbar though, and it doesnt

The WebExtension version keeps the tab bar at the top and can't even autohide the bar. It's completely useless.

Compare that to my Pale Moon setup.

did you see a tab bar in ?
if it doesnt automatically hide the tab bar its because the WebExtensions API doesnt allow it

>if it doesnt automatically hide the tab bar its because the WebExtensions API doesnt allow it
So it's garbage basically. How did you get the tab bar to hide in yours then? CSS?

>So it's garbage basically
see pic and yes

Nah, man.

I think the latest update is cash. Shit has improved since the last time I used it (few months ago)

The reason why Tree Style Tabs was good is because of the vertical tab management freeing up a ton of screen real-estate. Without autohide, it's basically useless. Call me when Mozilla gets off their asses and implements an API for shit they had with XUL. Until then, I'll stick to Pale Moon or Waterfox.

I'll give them a year to flesh out the addon API, everyone I know who develops addons is not super impressed with the progress so far and thinks they should have delayed pushing it live longer.

If it's not better by then, I'm not sure. I guess I'll consider jumping ship to Vivaldi, since I can't stand the restricted kiddie playground of vanilla Chrome.

lol i just showed you what TST does, that the tab bar can be hidden, and you say "hurr durr it doesnt do what i want even though it does"

if you want to know how to hide the tab bar you can just use your search engine of choice

>Pale Meme
>Waterfox placebo

Just use Firefox ESR instead of this insecure garbage. download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-52.4.1esr-SSL&os=win64&lang=en-US

I mean the tab tree. It doesn't autohide. There's a bug open for that API right now.
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1332447

No.