/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X131e-1-7GHz-AMD-E2-1800-8GB-DDR3-RAM-320GB-HDD-Windows-10/182790974460?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649r
m.ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W520-Core-i7-2-8GHz-8GB-RAM-Quadro-2000-Win10-/322829277306?hash=item4b2a1fd87a:g:VpsAAOSwqXZZxlIK&_trkparms=pageci%3Af2370f7a-b1ae-11e7-8790-74dbd1802f72%7Cparentrq%3A20473c9215f0ab4df65f02d7fffd59fc%7Ciid%3A1
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420s-Intel-Core-i7-Nvidia-8-GB-RAM-160GB-SSD-Dockingstation-/182832343349?nma=true&si=ZxnDFm%2BSn73Xhhy304BFosZLXGA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the best lowest price to get a 9 cell on the cheap for my T420 and where? AmeriClap and I don't think I can trust even the genuine ones off ChinkBay

Where do I buy nipples from anons?

Is the recall still a thing? Then find some ones on ebay with showing serials and get a couple free ones by changing the last 4 numbers.

eBay. Dont bother with the $25 for 10 bullshit on lenovo's site.
Soft rim is best clit btw.

Thinkpad vs. Elitebook
Debate!

Thinkpad because i dislike exposed metal shell laptops and i heavily rely on the middle click of the trackpoint.

How do I that?

POST CUTE PICTURES

wtf is the middle click?

The button in the middle acts as if you click a mouse's scroll wheel user.

Should I a thinkpadx200?

I want a small,cheap,tablet thinkpad I think that'd be fun

how does the tablet part work though? can it work with any os

I guess.
Yes it should because its wacom

x61t is better because muh 4:3

>tfw my w500 is a damn paperweight and every part of it has been replaced since I got it

why is this a recommended old model?

Guys i am finally going to replace my stolen w520. Now I was going to go for either p50 or p70 (fuck p51/71 since it only supports w10) but digging more the last one since I like big screens. Now both of them are new and I am planning to use it for some programming and old games(low on the heavy side) with i7 6700hq and 16gb ram and m600m for the p70 while 8gb ram and m1000m for the p50.

Having said that should I spend 300~ more for the p70 or go for the p50?. Also what do you guys think about those ones haven't really read anything that bad or that it hasn't been fixed by driver/bios updates.

I still wanna know how to do that Jesus why the shit do people just instantly drift off around here

Dammit /tpg/ I keep buying these damn things even though I only need 1 but now have a total of 4(not this model just ThinkPads in general).

This is what I bought. I just wanted to get a Chromebook to have something small and portable as my X200T/220T was sometimes just a little to large. I bicycle a lot to friend's houses and am now going to start college again. But I am so addicted to the clit that I can't imagine ever using a computer without one. Even my damn desktop keyboard has a clit.

Lenovo ThinkPad X131e 1.7GHz AMD E2-1800, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 10 Home, Integrated Camera (webcam) Power adapter included.
>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X131e-1-7GHz-AMD-E2-1800-8GB-DDR3-RAM-320GB-HDD-Windows-10/182790974460?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649r

There's not going to be anything "fun" about using that dinosaur

SMASHED

Get a bigger backpack and you won't mind its size after a while

because freetard trannyboot autists

i guess the 1920x1200 screen is nice though

when everything gets throttled, the screen is worthless

>
>Is the recall still a thing? Then find some ones on ebay with showing serials and get a couple free ones by changing the last 4 numbers.

hey I just got a t440s for 500 bucks, It's refurbished and I haven't run into any problems, been using heavily for two weeks now.

it's got an i5 cause I couldn't find a laptop with hotswapable batteries and an i7 for under 1500 bucks.

it also came with a extra large battery and both of them are still at their rated mAh capacities.

did I do gud?

Is there anything I should know about t440s's? Neat features? Hardware issues?

The left button on the trackpad of my T430 is broken. More specifically, the plastic clip that holds the metal bracket for the button is snapped off. Am I gonna have to replace the entire palmrest?

>bought thinkpad for 80 dollars
>new 9 cell is 60 dollars
kek

???
I probably should get a bigger backpack. But sometimes I go grocery shopping and need all the room I can get. That doesn't happen all the time though.

but i like the kitty kat one

>fuck p51/71 since it only supports w10
wut?

>buy thinkpad for $30
>buy chinese "9" cell battery for $20
kekker

i have one
doesnt report battery statistics to the laptop and says its 100% empty all the time
fuck that

why

wahhhh i need a quad core and 16gb of ram to browse Sup Forums and watch anime

>buy chinese "9" cell battery for $20
>fucking battery cracked in half when I dropped it
>battery latches broken off
>not advertised capacity
>have to duct tape the battery in
>praying that it doesn't catch fire
If you're going to get a chink battery, try look for a good one at least

If my thinkpad battery doesn't say LG chemicals then I don't want it.

Are there any issues with trackpoint optimisations on GNU/Linux?

Depends on model
Some elitebooks are cheaper because people go lol what's an elitebook
Some elitebooks are God machines and BTFO every thinkpad like the 8770w and it's dreamcolor display

But all thinkpads have middle clicks and better clits
They have a bugger community and support

In the end, as long as you're not buying acer trash or worse, a chromebook, it's all good

That's pretty horrible
Are you in Europe or something?

It's a bit slow by default
Some DE's have fixes but some don't
Easily fixable through a few scripts and there are like a few boat loads of tutorials and threads on how to fix it

Other than that, like most things it's better on linux

>as long as you're not buying acer trash or worse, a chromebook

The Acer Chromebook 14 is pretty cool if you flash the BIOS with a modified coreboot and install a GNU/Linux distribution. It's silent, fanless and has a massive battery life.

The price isn't user which always bugs me
I mean at least the shit Sup Forums recommends

Mine was only £210 brand new? And it's the better of the CB3-431 models with 4GB RAM instead of 2 and a slightly faster processor.

Oh wow that's not bad
I remember reading someone quoting 500 or 400 for a C720 something

Okay, thank you. The reason I ask is I've got a couple of machines running Lubuntu and the trackpad is fucked up on both of them. I haven't got around to fixing that issue yet, so I've been using a mouse.

Post stickerpads

I don't know if I could ever tarnish my Thinkpads with stickers.

benis

T440s vs T450(s) vs T460(s)
Go

What distros are you guys running?
Trying to pick a decent distro for my T400.

Xubuntu

Any of those but the non s(hit) versions would do

Xubuntu with Chicago 95
I run it on my T430 and it looks good
Would look better on your T400

but s versions use more premium materials

Got my first thinkpad a few days ago, an X220 with 8gb of ram, 320gb HDD and an i5. I don't know what it is but this thing is damn comfy, this keyboard is like sex when I'm writing my shitty screen plays.

I wanna buy a new laptop.

It has to be easy, nipple included, comfy keyboard, full HD screen, powerful enough to run the occasional Csgo at 80-90 fps and last but not least, around 300 Euros. What are your recs anons?

Forgot to mention 15.6 inch screen essential.

Got an i7 T430 sans keyboard off Gumtree today for 30 dollarydoos. It was marketed as not working but it turns out one of the memory sticks was shot so I'm laughing now

Nice man, memory isnt cheap though. I myself managed to get a T400 for 50 rupees, on gumtree as well.

So literally a W520.

>buy chinkpad for 220€
>buy ssd for 70€
>buy 9cell battery 60€
>buy 4gb ram stick for 40€

who /spends400€onoutdatedhardware/ here?

>Can't find it on Amazon.de
Feelssadbruh.jpg

Is the x230 tablet a decent buy at $350 aud? Great condition besides a shit 'beats' sticker.

Then try a T540 or T530 but make sure it has a graphics card.

I'm getting an intermittent but very annoying rattling noise from the fan on my T60. I cleaned it and checked to make sure it was free from any obstructions when I upgraded the processor this morning, but the problem persists. What could it be? It only happens occasionally for a couple of minutes at a time, usually when the system is idle.

Anyone else had problems with a high pitched, morse code like beep/whine when running off battery on a t60?

hello, /tpg/. I need a 9cell battery for my T420.
Wondering if you guys spot if this seller's battery is genuine or not. The image is from roachland and the price is pretty cheap so i thought it was dodgy

Just replace it fucklord.

It looks like I'm going to have to. I just don't understand why it works fine most of the time, even when the CPU is under heavy load, then it starts rattling sometimes for no reason at all.

Sounds like the bearings are worn out. My desktop fan does something similar but only on startup.

It's not like the non s version are made out of abs and Scotch tape user.

Bad idea. Some dude two threads ago posted shit from Amazon.de
Literally a base T430 and I mean base level everything, for 300 euros
Then I went on eBay and found him a better one for the same price

Try eBay instead
m.ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W520-Core-i7-2-8GHz-8GB-RAM-Quadro-2000-Win10-/322829277306?hash=item4b2a1fd87a:g:VpsAAOSwqXZZxlIK&_trkparms=pageci%3Af2370f7a-b1ae-11e7-8790-74dbd1802f72%7Cparentrq%3A20473c9215f0ab4df65f02d7fffd59fc%7Ciid%3A1

This one is a pretty good place to start and you can probably go lower if search

Good luck user

so I just bougth a t420s for 300€ (i7 8GB 160GBSSD nvidia-graphics)
It is supposedly in a very good condition - pics showed mint condition

how can I stress-test it to see its possible faults?

Is there any bios setting on x220 to disable the auto sleep?

Seriously how do I do that and get some free batteries?

Whoops meant to quote

software / tools for that kind of task appreciated!

also current tp is x220 with i5 so obviously I will open it up to see water damage or other problems with the hardware

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420s-Intel-Core-i7-Nvidia-8-GB-RAM-160GB-SSD-Dockingstation-/182832343349?nma=true&si=ZxnDFm%2BSn73Xhhy304BFosZLXGA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

searching for a thinkpad lighter than a t410
got a t410 i wanna sell and get a lighter laptop pure for oldschool runescape and maybe a few other light games

what should i look at/get

Anything in the X series.

Hello Sup Forums. I'm a newfag here (been browsing for less than two days, didn't even know what a man page was before then). I became very interested in the freedom meme, and libreboot caught my attention a lot. After some lurking, I found out that apparently the x200 thinkpad would be the best choice for a device that's decent and can also be librebooted. I saw some videos of it and got a boner because of how fast it is despite it's old processor, and it's even better when they put an SSD on it. To top it off, the price is usually around 100$, which is pretty affordable.

I've noticed, however, that there are some sites which sell FSF-approved x200 laptops (librebooted ones), and their price is usually no lower than 400$. So why is that? Is installing libreboot so hard that it's worth the extra 300 bucks, or is there more to these FSF-approved laptops than just libreboot? Is there any reason I should buy from any of those providers rather than buying a cheap x200 and installing libreboot myself?

what would you think the minimal series i should get then?
x41 x60 x61 x200 x201?

a rbpi is 40 a 5252 (soic-16) is 15/20 a x200 is 50/100 its worth doing it yourself even if you (which you wont) fuck up a second x200 is perfect to get the better parts for. if you plan on doing this order some wifichips already from china they take a time to arrive :) they are like 2 dollars each

I mean all of them down to the x60 should work fine. The x41 is too old. An x200, or above, would probably be best if you want something modern.

runescape is the only priority i dont care about anything else really i think im going to look for a x201 though

thanks man

Neat, thanks user

that it is only compatible with Windows 10, I always dual boot w7 with debian, which I don't plan to use at all or am I wrong?. Also still waiting for some recommendations about what I asked and if the p70 is worth the 300~ more than the p50.

Debian with xfce on my t420

How many RAM slots does the T430 have?

What's a good price for an x200 tablet?

i got a 1600x900 screen, but it's glossy
fuck

first post on my new t420... just installed debian with xfce this morning

thanks

Kek. Next time use, jewgle search.

My current Thinkpad (T430) has been having battery issues. I think maybe the batteries just aren't holding a charge. My current plan is to buy a battery that will keep it running, and then sell the computer. Then I'd like to buy a new model to replace it.

TL;DR

Does Sup Forums approve of the new Thinkpad models? Looking at the X1 Carbon, or whatever new laptop comes out this season.

P series are good.

>retro ThinkPad is already sold out

No, my friends. It's Lenovo which sold out.

From what i hear the X1 Carbon is a meme, it overheats alot and throttles. Stick with the T, X series.

My x220 fell down and a corner of the lid magnesium frame broke off. The upper plastic part is now loose on the broken side. Are there 3rd party sellers for this frame? I just found while display assemblies on ebay which I feel like would be a waste of money

T430 is pretty gud, user
You can upgrade it, too. Or do you just want something shiny?