/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/bUJ3VGM
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
amazon.com/gp/product/B009S332TQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-audiophile-over-the-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513
web.archive.org/web/20090704093117/http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~briolle/11thAESpart2.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP here, made some minor adjustments to the thread OP format.

Also try to keep shitposting regarding specific headphones to a minimum.

but OP, what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Where the anime feet? Shit op.

True fetishists will use their imagination.
>ma900
Here we go.

looking for inner ear w/ mic n remote
USA
>do not wanna break the bank
last thread user recd ATH-LS200iS but $250 is a steep price for the few times I go in public...
had bose but wire is breaking to pieces and do not really know if I had quality sound with it.

thoughts /hpg/ ?

What happened to the ATH-M50s? I have been out of the loop, but they used to basically be the goto recommendation everywhere for a decent pair of cans. They were meme-tier basically. Now I hardly see them recommended anywhere.

The original m50s are no longer made, and we're replaced by the m50x which are even more v shaped, plus the m40x exists and they are much better.

Now they are hated. I didn't have the chance to listen to these headphones, but the measurements don't look bad at all.

Some people say the ATH-M40x are "more neutral" for less price. But if you compare various measurements available online, this statement doesn't seem to be true at all. I think hating the ATH-M50x is just a meme.

The sub-bass boost is a little too heavy, but overall the mid range and treble are really well balanced. There's a reason why Tyll has these headphones in his wall of fame.

Rate my setup, now with tunes

9/10

Do me f.am. They're v1 zs5's btw

>pic related

Akg 550 vs DT 770?

Also anyone know something like these with detachable cable same price?

Custom Studio Pro/One had detachable cable.

Not a fan of the bands, but otherwise not bad at all.

Sup /hpg/,
I'm looking to upgrade from my HD 429 that I've hated for years to something that isn't shit.
My initial thoughts are getting either the DT 770 PRO 80Ohm for 130 eur or DT 990 PRO LE 250Ohm for 150 eur.
I realize I'm going to need an amp so I'd prefer an amp+dac combo that's under 100 eur. I could get a Fiio E10K for about 70 eur, would that be enough to drive either of those?
Do you guys have any alternatives in a similar price range? I'm in europe/estonia if the location is that important.

reminder to not buy beyers unless you want hearing loss and tinnitus

How's monitors compare to others you've heard?

If you wanna chat about chi-fi with anons from Sup Forums, check out the new #chi-fi channel on the /csg/ discord!

discord.gg/bUJ3VGM

We're a friendly bunch of autists!

spending that much on gear and listening to that music lmao

Etymotic ER4SR or Campfire Audio Orion?

Er4sr is the safer buy assuming you don't mind ety fit.

I know this is a headphone general, but...
any recommendations for a cheap amp + speakers combo?
No DAC needed, just a simple cheap amp that can drive 2.0 bookshelf passive speakers
a headphone output and a remote would be a plus

What makes it "safer" exactly? More reputable brand? Cheaper cable replacements? Frequency response? Quality control?

Are Pioneer SE-CH5T's for $45 decent?

Oh well, whatever, pulled the trigger anyways since there was only 1 ER4SR left in stock. Thanks /hpg/.

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

It's now or never bois.

Less than 100 left.

i've been using a pair of sennheiser's for the last ~2 years that i love, i think they ran about $60. but now they've finally got a spotty connection. i want something similar to that, but that's got a more robust cable that can handle some abuse. any recommendations or something with a really sturdy build quality?

Should I? Deliberating hard.

do people buy interfaces like the ones musicians use to use these? i just realized the only reason i even have one is bc i play the guitar and bought one to record for it

You wont get another chance for at least 3-6 months.

get a job

it's only $200. Cheap enough that I got one myself and another as a gift for my dad.

even if i bought a $200 pair of headphones they wouldn't have a much more robust cable than that unless they were made with that in mind

i was planning to get one myself since I was getting a keyboard this Friday, but apparently the output impedance may be an issue (usually more on IEMs though) and keyboards have USB ports nowadays.

they're $300-$500 headphones (even more if you're outside the US) that are on sale for $200, there's a reason why it's almost sold out and why people bought 20K units in the first place despite the 6 month wait time.

I dunno how massdrop gets away with it but they basically got to keep $5 million (or whatever portion of it) as well for 6 months to invest

25 left. Legit order in the next hour or you're fucked.

I caved in and got a pair before they ran out. Hope they are a good investment.

personal consumer goods are always a good investment

they're a steal, mate
even if you don't like them you can probably sell them without losing anything in the time they're not available

1 left. If you're reading this they're gone.

>investment
it's great value for the money, but it's silly to call it or any electronic an "investment", maybe unless it's something sillier like the TH-900 where the laquer costs more than the headphone.

I know, I couldn't think of a good phrase, I just mean I hope it's worth it, that I'll enjoy them enough.

I got myself a pair of AirPods

Congrats on being a consumerist whore

Thanks

I'm looking to get a pair of Bluetooth headphones and just want to know what you all could recommend. I'm not an audiophile by any means, I've been using a pair of M50s for the past decade without any issue but want something more portable now.

So far, the Sony WH-1000XM2 have stuck out the most to me. They support near lossless streaming, produce balanced sound, have a fair battery life, and the noise cancellation seems to be top notch. Anyone have experience with these or similar ones? I'm not looking to go beyond the $350 price point and these hit almost all of my criteria.

>Most bad-ass driver ever.
>Listens to music 24/7
>Uses ipod with earbuds

Wut?

Looking for non in-ear earbuds, mine dying sadly (AKG k319 and love them)
Already have m50x's for home, these are just for out and about use. Any recommendations? Struggling to find info without being saturated with in-ear earbuds

VE Monk+
You could get them for 8 bucks

I assume he has to be able to hear what's going on around him.

Currently offering an artisan tier, hinge repair service. All of our cup hinges are made from organic, naturally acquired, ducting materials. PM me for details

What are the best headphones in the range of $200 to $300 that don't need an amp?

AD900X

literally garbage

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

finally an sfw op image.

>non dummy head measurement
worthless
post your headphones

Indeed, it's veiled, has wonky treble and has no sub-bass, much like

HD600
MA900

>bare feet
>not sfw
Are you a baka?

another day, another REEEE. pics + timestamp
too slow schlomo

Post setup

>Some people say the ATH-M40x are "more neutral" for less price. But if you compare various measurements available online, this statement doesn't seem to be true at all.
It depends on your definition of neutral. If you consider boosted bass to be neutral then M50x are more neutral If you consider flat bass to be neutral then M40x are more neutral.

You're asking the wrong question, faggot. See:

Poorly sealed MA900s. No other headphone comes close

it's still garbage on a dummy head

>can't prove what compensation curve was used for that measurement
worthless
try harder
post your headphones

Can't judge how exactly a headphone is going to sound like until you've tried it. I say post pic + timestamp!

YOLO. Buy it.
You don't need an amp/DAC. DT770 has the convenience of being closed. Maybe go for that.
ER4SR
Don't know.
M40x.

>he refuses to post the only known dummy head raw measurement of ma900 because it makes them look good

What's the point of buying expensive headphones when you can EQ a cheap one to sound exactly like the expensive?

This is why we need downvotes on Sup Forums

build quality comfort and soundstage
aesthetics if you're a faggot or a woman

>Denying the truth
Go back to eddit you fag

Idol trash here.
What's your FR like, user?

Why use headphones at all, when you can just EQ your pcspeaker to sound perfect at your seat's location?

>that scooped midrange

worse than beyers

Post your headphones :^)

I'm not sure what's up with the shilling of these headphones, when I tried them they sounded terrible and they measure like shit as well. I can understand the HD600 shilling as those measure well, are reputable and are liked by many.

>Tried
Literally the best sounding headphone at any price point. You haven't tried them. What headphones do you own?

Sunday getting sippy. You looking forward to the 660s? I told myself I'd never swap my 600's for anything but if the 660 turns out to be an improved version, rather than a better 650 I might be tempted. £430 is a lot of money for a pair of headphones so I'm going to sit back and see what they're saying for the first couple of months.

Sony MDR-1A for 100 eur, y/n?

Good for beginners?

amazon.com/gp/product/B009S332TQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Dust your wife you filthy animal.

bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-audiophile-over-the-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513

For 60 dollars hd558 if you can get them

>you can EQ a cheap one to sound exactly like the expensive
Citation needed.

>chiclet keyboard
Really?

web.archive.org/web/20090704093117/http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~briolle/11thAESpart2.pdf
>In conclusion, it can be said that the listeners gave the various headphones the same quality ratings whichever headphone was used as the simulator.
>One of the most important results of this study is the finding that the quality of a headphone of poor or fair quality can be considerably improved simply by simulating on it the acoustical characteristics of an excellent headphone.

>What's your FR like, user?
V-shapped, i like how it sounds but i've being meaning to dive on EQing to hear what i can get from my headphones, hell, maybe even borrow my friend's HD600 to see how they respond to EQ, why not, right?
But first things first, i'm late on my schedule, need to deliver a full writen chapter soon.

While I've heard that these essentially ruin every other headphone for you, I don't feel like I need to spend another 200 on an AMP to match the headphone.

Great deal, they're super comfy and a great travel headphone.

Uh, funny how that is not the same as "sounding exactly the same as expensive headphones"

that's good because they don't need an amp

The ATH-M50s were a masterpiece of mid-range entry level headphone. They made the next incarnation with the M50x and ruined the sound.

>getting drunk AF
Somehow, I have a drink near by too.
>hd660s
I'm curious, so I'll look at reviews once it's out. I'm particularly interested in what the FR is like. If it looks particularly promising, maybe sometime next year I'll pick one up.
>borrow my friends' HD600 to eq
I'd suggest borrowing them to use for a week or two without EQ, just to see what this "neutral" thing is about.
At that price, the HD6xx is a steal.

What kind of shape is this called?

>random +12dB peak
Shit shaped.

>In conclusion, it can be said that the listeners gave the various headphones the same quality ratings whichever headphone was used as the simulator.
This means that cheap headphones EQ'd to a target essentially sounded the same as expensive headphones EQ'd to the same target.