Should I ditch Windows 7?

Is there any real reason for me to do so at this point in time? Windows 10 is hot garbage and I have not been able to expend the effort to get my Linux distro of choice to work well with my triple monitor setup. I'm currently running Windows 7 SP1 but I'm thinking of doing a fresh install to get rid of the clutter that accumulated over the past few months of me using my desktop in between me relying on a a MacBook as a daily driver.

If I were to do a fresh install today, would you recommend me to go with my old Windows 7 installer or get a newer one and also get certain select updates? If not, what flavor of Linux or Windows 10 should I install instead?

tl;dr Windows 7 general

Other urls found in this thread:

download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard
youtube.com/watch?v=R7bHCs_iu9w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Either do a freah install of 7 or unbloat it yourself. If you're worried about support 8.1 with Classic Shell is better than 10 but I'd learn how to use Linux ASAP.

I'm quite familiar with Linux and I'm sure there's nothing a quick Google search won't fix.

But it's literally been a few years since I last used elementary OS. Are you sure about that with Windows 8.1? What about the LTSB Windows 10 that I've been reading about in other threads on Sup Forums?

Install Gentoo

LTSB is alright, best version of Windows 10 that doesn't have the usual MS Update fuckery but still is as botnet as every other version of Windows 10. If you really don't like 10 then do 8.1 after 7's long term support ends. As for Windows 7 use WSUS Offline to generate the 'security only updates' then run the update installer to get them, you'll have to restart 3-4 times from a fresh install but it'll get your install updated with the essential updates.

WES7 summary copypasta:
-Based off Windows 7
-Support ends in 2021 instead of 2020
-You can select components you want to install. Including removing IE.
-Embedded Features such as no GUI boot, RAMDisk driver, ability to be installed and booted from external HDD and write filters.
-Volume_BA channel, insert key and you are done. No activation.
-Enterprise features such as Applocker available in Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate
-Keyboard Filter* through group policy that allows you to disable keyboard keys/key combinations.
-Updates are on separate channel, does not install dedicated telemetry updates.**
**Do contain Quality Rollups though. Advice to either disable Update and use write filters:EWF(HORM)/FBWF or manually download the security only updates from windows catalog.
*Requires WEDU1.2 to download the update, and use DISM to add the package.
-Links:
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part1.exe
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part2.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part3.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part4.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part5.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part6.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part7.rar

Google "XGY72" for PID.

The fuck is this?

>Is there any real reason for me to do so at this point in time?
I only think on two, which are security updates and games that support Direct X 12. W10 is a messed up OS with questionable design choices, high difficulty to use it for unnecessary reasons, greater amount of bloatware and slow perfomance, and with theses glaring flaws alone, I wouldn't still use it even if W7's support ran out.

>If I were to do a fresh install today, would you recommend me to go with my old Windows 7 installer or get a newer one and also get certain select updates?
Do a fresh stock install of W7, because it's not worth of your time to try to remove all of bloatware you have gathered through years and then be satisfied with it, when there are chances it would still not improve the perfomance and speed. About updates, either search for "Simplix Update Pack" and use it, or search "windows 7 updates to avoid" and go through it.

Instructions to use Windows 7 Embedded Standard.

>at some point in my life I will have to forever abandon windows 7

I really don't want to nor do I feel the need to but at this point, there has been so much FUD and misinformation thrown at me that I can't say for certain that I'm confident I'll be fine if I stick with Windows 7. It's like I don't believe I know what I'm fucking doing anymore.

fresh install 7 and turn off updates immediately

done it twice now and never had problems afterwards

I don't want it
I don't want to abandon it

you faggots got over your "le ill never le abandon le XP :(((" phase and you'll get over this too

Windows 10 differs too much from the comfy XP-Vista-7 style

The difference for me is that I actually LIKED Windows 7 as soon as it became available before the RTM download version. I was using XP prior to that but fell in love with 7 because it was actually great.

On the other hand, Windows 8 and 8.1 were both rather unnecessary upgrades while 10 is just a giant steaming pile of shit with built-in ads and loads of bloatware. That's why I've gone back and now stuck to Windows 7.

quite unlikely

youtube.com/watch?v=R7bHCs_iu9w

rabid XP users would shit on vista and 7 (vista especially) all the time and bitch and moan about how MS ruined Windows and they were going to switch to Linux instead of upgrading

This. The difference in quality is just too drastic. Newer versions of Windows should just be little tweaks and driver updates. My biggest problem with 7 was that command line was still way behind the linux/unix like systems. They could at least finally fix the cmd prompt window so it would be easily resizable. And with anything past 8? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Look, there are plenty of reasons to AVOID Windows 10, which isn't the same as there were few arguments against upgrading from XP to 7 back when it came out. Go be stupid somewhere else.

>wait for Windows 7 to stop meeting all of your needs
>switch to the best alternative that does meet those needs when that time comes
Don't overcomplicate things.

>8
>unnecessary upgrade
8 was a major development in Windows under the hood as they tore up large amounts of the ancient legacy holdovers that were just bloating up the system as well as actually including functional versions of broken services like Superfetch. It uses less resources, manages resources better, and is just in general more responsive. There's no reason to not use 8 at least, the desperate clinging to 7 is just an unwillingness to accept any sort of change as it is in pretty much all objective areas a simply worse version of 8.

They didn't improve that in 8 either but 10 has a much better console host with proper resizing and color support etc

The situation now is so bad that I actually went back to Windows 7. I didn't stick with it through all this time. And I've literally tried every iteration of the newer Windows versions. I've had it on ThinkPads and other laptops, had it on my desktop, and even went with those $100 Chink tablets with soft keyboard covers. All that and I still went back to Windows 7. I didn't go back to XP after using Windows 7.

>built-in ads
i have never seen a single ad or had some shit like candy crush automatically install itself, i have to wonder what you people are doing with your computers to see this sort of shit. did you not check your settings during installation or something?

These under the hood changes you're talking about are great, but there are a great deal more surface nuisances that mean it's not worth the trade-off. And what of all those so-called changes? Shit's still all a messy tangle beneath the shiny new UI. Oh, that's right, they literally tacked the Start screen and other tablet-centric shit on top of the existing Windows menu.

I mean if your best argument for me to upgrade to 8 is because you say it's newer and better, and that the stuff I hate can just be made to go away by using Classic Shell, so I at least have a version that looks and works just like Windows 7, then I just don't see why I shouldn't still keep using 7 in the first place.

>i have never seen a single ad or had some shit like candy crush automatically install itself
Weird that you know exactly what I meant even though I didn't mention anything specific. Looks like those ads appearing in all those other users worked. But no, you're special, it works on your machine. Good for you.

>why should i use a system that both manages my resources more efficiently and uses less resources itself
gee i wonder

i'm just not retarded and don't blindly click yes to everything during installation, i bet you have a million different toolbars and shit on your computer

Stop being a brainlet.

>I mean if your best argument for me to upgrade to 8 is because you say it's newer and better
Well.... Yes? Is there a specific reason why you don't want to use something that's better? The problems with 8 are all on the surface and can be easily rectified by the user, you can't fix the problems under the hood on 7 because it's not free software.

toolbars now? And you're calling me the one clinging onto old shit? LMAO

don't reply to me unless you have something intelligent to say thanks

Now THIS is shillposting!

what's wrong with Windows 10?

so intelligent

Using the word ``shill" should automatically earn you a permanent ban, stop lowering the quality of discussion.

They've been pushing out too many buggy updates, the Creator's Update has been fucked for games and there was a recent security update that just made whatever computer it's installed on bsod.

I liked 10, but even the "stable" updates feel like they're part of the fast ring.

nigger faggot

When someone complains about ads in 10 it shows one of two things, either they have never used 10 or they used it for all of 30 seconds without even looking through the top level of the settings. Either way, you should refrain from chiming in with your opinion. Every system needs to be tweaked to work how you want, even the so-called "just werks" ones like Windows. Don't act like 7 didn't have its' own retarded defaults too.

>all the times this dialog would bug out and become totally unresponsive
>can't do anything except wait for the computer to restart itself

Windows 10 forces updates on computers and installs those updates literally without user permissions (unless you go ahead and disallow it from doing that, and even then it may still do it). So your point is moot.

No it doesn't

>Works on My Machine(TM)

>without user permission
you imply consent by using the OS and not changing the settings to specify a different preference

This.
And forced updates by default are a good thing.

It's not like I'm experiencing some kind of bug or whatever, I just changed the settings because I don't want it to restart without my permission. Anyone can do this. The sort of person who can't figure out how to change a setting is probably the sort of person who should have security updates forced on them.

>And forced updates by default are a good thing.
no if you don't have a good connections and a good pc.
When my pc update by itself, it takes 70% of CPU

I say try hackintosh or bite the bullet and switch to Linux. I'm dual booting myself and weening off Windows

No, the default should be forced updates. Otherwise normies don't update.
If you have an issue with that then change it.

So now it's MY FAULT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Holy fuck! Windows shilling is serious fucking business.

Just use Apple computers you tech illiterate pieces of shit.

This guy has been buttfucked so much by MS that he now thinks it should be normal for everyone

Fucking LOL

I tried windows 10 in a couple secondary laptops and ended up deciding not to upgrade from 7 on my daily computers. Ultimately I just ended up wiping windows 10 and replacing it with Ubuntu MATE on those secondary laptops. 10 is terrible for a multitude of reasons and apart from support, doesn't offer any compelling reasons to upgrade from 7 or 8.1

You seem to agree that forced updates are good for technologically illiterate users. Who do you think makes up the majority of the Windows userbase?

And yes, it is your fault that you just expected the system to come pre-configured with your exact preferences in mind. Change the settings if you don't like the defaults.

Because you deserve better.

>If you have an issue with that then change it.
That's the problem!!
YOU CAN'T!!!

Fuck off shills

Yes you can, I'm still running 1607 build 14393 on 10 Pro.

>lets you pick a time of the day when it can restart if necessary
>warns you before updating
>gives you an option to postpone the update
>gives you an option to pause updates up to a month
>all of that is nicely laid out in a user friendly way in the new settings
>if you're really hardcore than you can break open gpedit completely disable update and/or forced restarts
Yes, it's absolutely your fault an update caused you inconvenience.

>for everyone
For normies. Can you read?

>YOU CAN'T!!!

Your force it, that's why. There is no manual mode for Windows update unless you do it with the registry method.

>there is no manual mode
>unless you do it
What was your point again?

There's a gui for the "registry method". It's called "Local Group Policy Editor".

What does it matter if the setting is in the group policy editor instead of the control panel or settings panel? The setting is still there, just slightly obscured so normalfags don't stumble upon it and disable it because they want to roleplay as a power user. You can defer feature updates for 365 days and security updates for 30 days, or pause updates entirely for 35 days using the settings panel, which is more than enough control for normalfags.

see ransomeware like wannacry hitting companies who didn't update regularly the hardest

You can just disable the update service you know.

FUD - "fucked up data"

>"HURP DURP GET OVER WINDERS 7 ITS ULD!!!!!!111!!!! XDDDDD"
Leave.

this guy gets it

This.

(you)

I used XP until Windows 7 came out Which was something like 8 years. I'll use 7 until Windows "not hot garbage" comes out.

No, don't drop away an Windows 7 disk in a ditch, because it is a good software

ESL pajeets detected

is this real

Or I could be in the 37% of North Americans who stay with 7.

forced updates
more telemetry including searches and keylogging

>gaymen trash
And that's an argument?

Doubtful, your post had very typical pajeet grammar.

Win7 is good for another 5 years, at least. Google around for the list of updates to blacklist (a bunch of Win10 telemetry shit), fresh install and avoid them.

Spend he next 5 years Get Gud at linux. Either microsoft will get a clue as to how bad they fucked up with Win10 and dial it back (not likely) or linux will get a lot of new tweaks and surpass windows (in many ways, it already has, but better tweaks and easier use will happen).

Unless you have new hardware stick to 7

win10 is only mandatory for new procesors

Why would you use Windows if you don't play games?

The more intrusive option should never be the default

Because I really give a fuck about proper grammar on a mongolian knitting forum.

Well it always has been in Windows. It's not exactly new to 10.

Everything.

it's best for everything. That's why? Is there any better OS around there?

Windows 7 is dead by 2020.

>its'
its*

>having to make an effort to not look like a pajeet

If everyone just wants Windows 7 even after its EOL, maybe ReactOS will finally catch up and become sufficiently compatible? Imagine a Windows 7-like system that is free software …

>maybe ReactOS will finally catch up and become sufficiently compatible

nah, it's barely at XP level now

Doubtful, they aren't even close to proper XP-level software compatibility despite being in development for almost 20 years.

I would rather use MacOS or Linux over Windows for most tasks. Windows is pretty much a gaymen only os.

>sonofabitch basterd I repot you. bitch lasagna.

>Linux
Lol and mac OS is a meme. Windows is pretty much the best OS for everything.

Linux might take some work to set up properly, but once you've got it running there really isn't anything Windows does better unless it involves gaymen.

Use Mac OS if you want to completely skip the set up and get to work.

Except it isn't which is why the majority prefers windows.

The instructions in that shitpost are to DISABLE the camera, but nobody on this board can read.

No it's not

Yes it is. I can post pasta too.

>there really isn't anything Windows does better unless it involves gaymen.
or having drivers that actually make full use of your hardware, even scrolling web pages in Linux feels slow as shit compared to windows or osx.