/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

lifewithqmail.org/
goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-hardware-monitor-plugin
git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-hardware-monitor-plugin/tree/README
whonix.org/wiki/Qubes
muen.sk/
scs.stanford.edu/histar/
freedos.org/
freevms.net/
capros.org/
kolibrios.org/en/
github.com/0intro/plan9-gpl
reactos.org/
jnode.org/
gnu.org/software/hurd/
archhurd.org/
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd
linuxfromscratch.org/,
bountysource.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>/62907835
already got /fglt/ going here.

Why people doesn't appreciate GNU so much?

thx for the debian recommend

I did a little reading and it sounds like a good choice.

What do you think is the difference between debian vs arch btw? (Ill probably go with debian)

So I'm trying to install and run qmail and I am truly retarded. I'm following the guide: lifewithqmail.org/

And I get to part 2.6 and I get "patching file error.h"
any help would be mighty appreciated. I know what part of it is saying, because I know I've ran the command several times searching for work arounds.

Is it better to install Kubuntu or to install Ubuntu and then put KDE on it?

>There's one week left for women and other under-represented groups in the open-source world to apply for Outreachy Round 15 for a winter internship to work on various projects.

>Outreachy applications are due 23 October and accepted participants are announced in early November for this $5500 USD internship period that runs from December to March. This round is open to: "internationally to women (cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people. Internships are also open to residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander."

Could I pretend to be a trans man to get the internship?

>Talking about freedom, about ethical issues, about responsibilities as well as convenience, is asking people to think about things they might rather ignore. This can trigger discomfort, and some people may reject the idea for that.

KDE neon seems to be the favored ubuntu based kde option around here.

after installing elementary os, noticed that batter last less than with windows10. Any tips on how to improve batery life?

For wine there is wine 2.0.2 and wine 2.19. What is the difference between these two and which is the recommended one to use?

Gnu is Not my Userland

Install powertop.

Diversity for the sake of diversity, is not diversity, it is racism and sexism

arch is an utter sack of shit
debian is good
do remember however that on debian, very little is enabled by default
some may call it 'bloat', but do remember to setup apparmor/selinux and a firewall.

Trans men are not on the list of oppressed minorities. If you want easy diversity hire, just pretend you're gay while gay men are still considered oppressed.

selinux is a meme

ok thanks for your constructive and helpful insight
this will help the new user im sure

Just say you're double trans,genderfluid,pansexual
Not like they are going to question anything you say

Cool story bro.
This is the friendly gnu/linux thread, though.
Well, actually
is the /fglt/ and OP doesn't know how to use the catalog search, and it's probably too late for him to do the right thing and delete this duplicate.

Didn't see the other thread. (Why did nobody link it when it was created tho?)

Probably other OP didn't find /fglt/ aswell.

Is there something like vrms for pacman instead apt?

How do I make elementary Os to show how much time is left on battery by adding first and second baterry times?

Why is kde neon better than kubuntu?

Because Kubuntu is a fucking mess and KDE Neon works quite well

Good distro for an old Laptop with 64MB RAM?

LFS or puppy or alpine

Is it possible to run an old ATI card on Arch together with a new one? My main card is using AMDGPU but the old one needs radeon.

wew that's really tiny
probably better off running NetBSD on that machine

How GNU programmer get money for life for wife and pizza and coca-cola, if he don't sell software and providing it for free?

Actually I tried KDE neon and Sabayon KDE on live usb some time ago, and installed sabayon. It felt faster. Since went back to cinnamon de tho. Lots of people recommend neon here though.
Kubuntu I have tried and thought it the worst KDE implementation I've seen. Knoppix is kind of a mess too, but with a brazillian packages I guess it's hard to not have cluttered menus.

Free as in freedom, not price.

The old neet in the basement myth.
Most GNU/Linux is paid professionals.
Not all software is created because some company wanted to sell it. Sometimes they made it because they want to use it. In the latter case, using free software as a starting point is a smart business decision.

From donations, lol.

hmm I just installed arch on my second ssd, the first one has windows 10 uefi

but refind bootloader doesnt show windows
I'm not sure what I should do now, google doesn't help me
I also can't load "windows boot manager" or the ssd windows is installed on in boot options, nothing happens

Same package in the AUR.

Thanks, so does it work to check Arch packages as well?

What is /fglt/'s terminal web browser of choice? I'm currently torn between elinks and links2.

I like w3m.

Hello friendly GNU/Linux thread.

Can anyone with some spare time help me compile this xfce4 plugin goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-hardware-monitor-plugin on FreeBSD? I used to run it on my laptop on Debian with the .deb packages that the maker compiled, but I'm having a go with FreeBSD on my desktop and would like to use it... git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-hardware-monitor-plugin/tree/README is the install guide.. I've never (successfully) used configure/make/make install, I'm hoping it isn't too difficult.

So yeah, ./configure && make && make install is too much for you but you HAVE to go FreeBSD at your desktop.

Jesus Christ dude. Do you try to drive manual with 1 hand too?

what should I do Sup Forums?
[?] Debian desktop environment
[?] ... GNOME
[?] ... Xfce
[?] ... KDE
[?] ... Cinnamon
[?] ... MATE
[?] ... LXDE
[?] web server
[?] print server
[?] SSH server
[?] standard system utilities

Hi friendly gay-lesbian thread. I think I'm gay, and I think my friend is gay too (they're a hemale), and I think this thread's lesbian. Amiritek

if you have to ask for help with even the most simple of decisions, GNU/Linux is not for you. Pick a few and see what happens.

>[X] Debian desktop environment
>[ ] ... GNOME
>[ ] ... Xfce
>[ ] ... KDE
>[ ] ... Cinnamon
>[ ] ... MATE
>[X] ... LXDE
>[ ] web server
>[ ] print server
>[ ] SSH server
>[X] standard system utilities

Gnome with lightdm

the people who can't answer easy questions are usually brainlets who don't know what they're talking about, but always opine how much more than everyone else

I'm not asking like I don't know how to do it. I'm asking because I don't know what I want. I think GNOME and KDE are ugly. I don't mind Xfce because it's fast and has a very early 2000 vibe

I started using Linux with Ubuntu 7.10. I moved on to Debian. Then to Arch. Then to Slackware. Then to Gentoo. I was on Gentoo for a while. I got frustrated with Gentoo and I did a linux from scratch. I rolled with that for around two weeks. Now I've just installed Ubuntu 17.10 and I find myself wondering why I ever went with other stuff in the first place. I suppose I just don't have the time for customization that I used to. Gnome 3 works just fine. All the defaults are great. I didn't have to do any configuration.

Why do you use a more complicated system?

it doesn't fucking matter. stop. do actual work, not bs like this. just pick one and if you like it great if you don't install something else. get on with your life for fucks sake.

>gnome 3
>ugly
if your tastes are that shit, then just install with no desktop environment

kind of rude desu

not really getting a friendly linux vibe :(

I guess if my display had a touch screen it would be nice, but I just don't like it. Feels like an attempt to copy stock android for tablets.

how many distros must a man have tried out before you can call him a man?

How do I learn how (GNU +) Linux works at a higher level? I mean things like a breakdown of how the filesystem is laid out, what all the running services/daemons are, how everything fits together? I've been using it as a desktop OS on and off for a long time, but most of it is still unknown to me.

Could you at least try and check the catalog before posting a new OP?

Have you tried reading the OP?

install Gentoo

Yes. I'm looking for a broad overview of the OS, not bash syntax or man pages for individual programs.

Is this true?
I have installed Debian net install bunch of times, never actually tried to setup a firewall. What would happen if i didn't setup one??
Also how do i setup one?

How do I troubleshoot and fix memory leaks?

Try reading the fucking OP.

Negative, xfce > lxde especially with goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-hardware-monitor-plugin

Be enlightened:
whonix.org/wiki/Qubes

This is the only answer. It currently the best solution for security and anonymity on the internet.

no systemd

>qubes running qubes in a vm running windows in a vim

Suppose I've got a semi-fucked linux install because I crammed a different kernel into an ubuntu.iso because 4.8 wouldn't work on my machine

Once the 4.13+ kernels are packaged with .isos properly, how do I go about doing a clean install without losing all my configs and shit?

pps how do I get every linux program in existence to stop literally shitting files and folders all over my /home/user directory? I realize they're all '.filename' and invisible normally, but it aggravates my autism to have my shit stacked only for this to happen, it's windows-tier behavior

s/kernel/Linux/g
s/linux/GNU+Linux/g

windoze shill pls go and stay go

Friendly reminder that Linux is just the kernel. Other kernels under GPL are:
The Muen Separation Kernel muen.sk/
and HiStar scs.stanford.edu/histar/

Operating Systems under GPL are:
FreeDOS freedos.org/
FreeVMS freevms.net/
CapROS capros.org/
KolibriOS kolibrios.org/en/
Plan 9 github.com/0intro/plan9-gpl
ReactOS reactos.org/
JNode jnode.org/

Special mention to GNU/Hurd gnu.org/software/hurd/
Arch Hurd archhurd.org/
Debian GNU/Hurd wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd

I have a computer with Pentium III and 128MB of RAM, and I want to put a desktop OS on it. It needs to be very light on resources. Lighter-than-Lubuntu light, while not being run entirely from the console and basically usable for someone new to Linux. I keep seeing Puppy Linux recommended. Are there other good options?

Don't you mean at the lower level? LFS is the best I can think of linuxfromscratch.org/, but if you are not there yet install something like source mage and bootstrap a system. Read on the file hierarchy man hier and do some scripting.

Want to make bucks with free software?: bountysource.com/

Also, service oriented business is the future. Provide software support and bug bounty, maintaining code is also a service and if you want to be freelancer keep around one application and check for potential customers in every user. Just remember to have one account to a simple payment system and also for donations.

Sure as hell I would pay bucks to improve my system.

Alpine Linux

literally designed to run on embedded systems, let alone an actual desktop

epic meem

Xfce

*something fails along the way*

That has always been my experience with compiling software