Am I acting irrationally?

Since I was around 16 I have been preparing for the internet going out on a national or global scale, or for the internet to be so heavily monitored by government that it warrants avoiding it. I have a storage server that I download all the media I consume on a daily basis to, so that if it does go out I won't be bored out of my mind. I have software, and hardware repair tools (pic related) to maintain my equipment for extended periods of time. Im not asking for you guys to put into question whether my methods or plans are effective, but if im acting reasonably by even planning for such an event.

Other urls found in this thread:

amateurradio.com/ham-radio-and-mesh-networks/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe. At the very least more people should do so, kind of like archive.org, it's important to have and keep access to that stuff for everyone, for as long as the human race exists

Why the fuck you care what a bunch of retards on Sup Forums think, is it because you don't have IRL friends you can ask?

Im not doing it for the human race... just for my own consumption. My shitty ISP's internet goes out naturally all the time sometimes for weeks, so I realized that if something were to happen that knocks out the internet for everybody I would be incredibly bored, and have nothing to do.

My friends and Sup Forums are a different crowd. Of course my friends who don't care about tech would instantly say its a waste, but I was hoping Sup Forums would have more thought provoking comments. Even if they are against what im doing

Planning around the internet being effectively useless? A bit tinfoil hattish, but but not completely out there.

But planning around not being able to replace hardware? That is completely out there.

Shitty ass answer. He just wants to know if someone else is preparing like him. And if it's worth it.

Well you should do it for both

How so? I am genuinely curious. If the internet goes out you won't have as easy access to buying new hardware components. And thus learning how to repair the ones you have would be a worthwhile skill

>If the internet goes out you won't have as easy access to buying new hardware components.
Won't I? Access to computer parts was easy enough before the internet was a thing. Even these days, I still walk into a computer shop to buy bits more often than ordering online.

>acting reasonably

The idea is reasonable. A kind of a backup, essentially. Maybe it's a matter of how time and energy that you invest into it. If the internet really goes south, maybe there'll be more important stuff to be concerned about. My feeling is that putting a lot of time and energy into this won't the best use of your time etc. Sometimes we can be so busy clinging onto stuff that we don't even have the space to see if it's worthwhile, or to see even better opportunities that float up.

Is what you're describing also known as hoarding?

Probably, but it's really cool. keep it up!

I don't have standard consumer equipment. My storage server has motherboards you can't just buy from most stores. And my RAID HDD's are Western Digital Gold 10TB enterprise class drives, that you can't just buy at the store to do a data recovery. Same with alot of my industrial electronics equipment separate from standard computers.

>thinking the goverment can moniter 2 BILLION people on the internet
I never understood this though proccess

I see what your saying, if im understanding you correctly, your saying if the internet goes out it probably wouldn't just be the internet thats the problem. If the internet goes down its probably from something major that would effect other aspects of daily life.

I suppose so, but its mostly digital hoarding, so since I buy massive drives and put them in RAID it doesn't take up much space in comparison to what I have.

The fact you would doubt that the government has the capacity to monitor 2 Billion people highlights your ignorance.

The government doesn't allocate people to sit there sifting through peoples search history and emails, they create an automated system that punishes actions the government doesn't want automatically, avoiding the case by case basis of standard 'innocent til proven guilty' freedom

It's interesting to say the least. I've been thinking about a similar scenario sometimes. Also there's a lot of shit, even nowadays that just get's lost in the void when sites or networks go down.
Can you explain your methods? Do you use an automatic process that regularly backups stuff that you are interested in, or do you just backup everything you consume?

Perhaps things might be easier if you built and/or planned around replacing with more standard parts? If you've got, say, a rare motherboard with 10 SATA ports that you need for all your drives and it fails - if you can fix it, good for you. But if fixing it requires spare parts that aren't easy to get a hold of, I don't see you as being any better off for having the skills and tools to fix it than just rebuilding your storage around two machines with 6 SATA ports each.

If you're ultimately doing this because you like working on electronics at that level, then just embrace it as that rather than trying to justify it as disaster preparation.

I middleman my own traffic and analyze what I have been looking at, and have my system download it once I clear it through. I also just download things that I know I'll be interested in such as TV shows, movies, and more.

I have 100 of every passive component (resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc.) on the motherboard, and 10 of every active component (IC's, SMC's, BGA's, Processors, GPU's etc.). I am doing it both because I like working on electronics and because I feel compelled to prepare for this

Do you have an entire extra motherboard as your 101st point of contingency though?

I think you're a madman but the good kind. The kind I admire. You're applying something that's often a mere hobby for the normal consumer and assigning it value in a that makes it useful.

I'd still want a second motherboard, though.

Also, have you considered the possibility of Tor-esque networks for internet-takeover-fallout? What are your thoughts?

Speculation, but yeah. Like if the shit really hits the fan some of these plans (enjoying your massive pool of media) may not even be an option.

I'm also thinking though, that although in principle it makes sense, you may benefit from the idea that change isn't so bad either. Like not having access to all this stuff that seems so crucial. Trying to hang onto shit when it's not working can be a real pain in the ass. In life in general.

A close friend of mine got terminally ill and died a couple of years ago. He was a real gear head. Had a big property and oodles of pieces of scientific equipment. X-ray machines, freeze drying equipment, gas chromatographs .. the list goes on. All the shit that had seemed so important to him he had to slough off in his final months. A lot into the trash. It was shocking to witness. None of that stuff meant shit when the chips were down. It's a thing.

inb4 great blog

>I have 100 of every passive component (resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc.) on the motherboard, and 10 of every active component (IC's, SMC's, BGA's, Processors, GPU's etc.). I am doing it both because I like working on electronics and because I feel compelled to prepare for this
If at least a good chunk of it is because you like working on electronics, then knock yourself out. But the possibility of the internet going down is not a good reason for it. If any disaster justifies that as preparation, it's not the internet disappearing, it's electronics manufacturing disappearing.

I don't have an extra motherboard, but the only issue that would require an extra motherboard would be damage to the PCB itself in the middle layers. The PCB has traces that run across multiple layers stacked ontop of eachother, so the only thing I couldn't replace or repair would be those stacked traces.

Also could you define what you mean by 'Tor-esque networks for internet takeover fallout?'

I see what you mean, sorry to hear about your friend, I know how losing a friend can feel, its rough.

I don't really know how I'd prepare for that... I suppose I just have to hope that I don't just give up / stop caring about my interests.

i got into this because I wanted failsafe after failsafe. I don't want to be unprepared if something happens, im sure there are things that should be higher on the totem pole of things to prepare for but I guess im a bit skewed.

If you have supreme confidence in your abilities to repair or replace any and as many components as could possibly go wrong, then I would consider investing in another copy of the motherboard simply for the fact that I doubt you could find a single replacement PCB.

Tor is (or once was, depending on who you ask) a network that exists on the internet. The nature of the encryption of the traffic and the way connections are established allows users of the Tor software to host content anonymously and allows other users of the Tor software to access said anonymous content. It would be very difficult for an outside agency to intercept traffic, or even tell where it is coming from or where it is going. (This isn't strictly true for some pretty dumb reasons on the part of users accidentally leaking their real IP addresses. I encourage you to do your own reading.) Since the project is open-source, anybody would release their own spin of this, possibly with improvements, that may serve as a viable contingency for preserving the ability to communicate with others, digitally, over long distances, in the event that your local and/or national government decides to make laws and pay people full-time to regulate your ISPs into filtering content you may otherwise wish to view. Like The People's Republic of China.

If you live in North America or Western Europe, such a takeover isn't altogether very likely, but also far from impossible. In no event would it happen over-night.

Of course, none of this helps you to still be "on the net" if digital internet goes out for a physical reason. But a worldwide outage would very likely only occur in the event of a doomsday scenario, in which case I hope you have a bunker along with your rig and spare parts if you wish to continue watching your anime.

Consider VHF/UHF radio (to include GSM networks and the like) for network access in the event of a localized outage.

I've used tor before but never really thought of that implication. If everything is decentralized that would seem great, allow people to rebuild network connections to each other through a decentralized system.

I agree that it would be best to get an extra PCB to get that extra bit of security, but I would feel like its a game of diminishing returns. The passive components for 100 of each cost around 20 dollars on Mouser. And the active components while it cost more weren't incredibly expensive. The only thing that would damage the underlying traces as far as I know is physical damage, and I don't see a huge risk of punching a hole in the PCB. But as far as tying up all the loose ends I suppose it would be worth it.

No that's stupid

You'd have bigger problems to care about if something as drastic as the internet going completely out happens

everyone seems to be ignoring the other reason I stated I wouldn't use the internet for.

Slowly been stepping up my storage prep op, Have about 50TB now in my server all RAID1.

Have plenty of media files that can't be replaced anymore from 10 years ago and constantly worry about scenarios of BAKA and Pantsu going down again.

It does feel like illegal means to gain these type of files is constantly shrinking, making sure everything is x265 and fairly future proofed.

the internet is built so it does not go out, you tard
unless you live in isolation, the end of the internet would be the least of your problems

you should have stopped using the internet 6 years ago, then

Why RAID 1 when there are better options like RAID 5 and RAID 6. Still offers a ton of redundancy and you still get to store stuff for a reasonable price.

I'd think any scenario where the internet goes out for an extended period would be a scenario where the power infrastructure has gone down, in which case it is more important to have solar panels, huge batteries, and guns if you want to set yourself up as a post-collapse technology baron

Government (or corporate) monitoring could get bad, but I'd say it's not obvious that the amount of effort you're putting into stockpiling content is less than the amount of effort it will take to circumvent such monitoring

All that said, there are obviously other benefits to having your own copy of content you care about, so even if I'm not as worried about these things as you are that doesn't necessarily mean I'd tell you to stop

IDK, user. I would keep 5 motherboards, 5 processors, memories, hdds in stock. Cheap stuff, just enough to reproduce your content.
If the plan is survive offlne, yor main concern is keeping your data safe, so keep 2 backups and refresh them annually. I would keep a full backup in dvds just in case.
Also, maybe this os something to study:

amateurradio.com/ham-radio-and-mesh-networks/

Unless its decentralized and ISP's disappear from the face of the earth, no, its not built so it doesnt go out.

Money isn't an issue so never bothered. Data is cheap as chips, it's the time building that collection compared to a couple hours work for a 4TB drive.

Drive space is starting to take up fair amount of room but, will start going 8TB cut it in half and resell the old drives.

I already have a solar setup sufficient for double my consumption, and batteries with a massive life cycle, along with replacements. I also have lots of firearms. I am good in that department.

I have 10 processors, lots of HDD's, and i purchased 100 of every passive component as I stated in my previous post:
So that if my motherboard breaks I can diagnose the problem and fix it myself, instead of wasting money, my main resource to get supplies, on lots of motherboards. I instead just buy the supplies to fix one motherboard.

what is the point of a discussion forum but to discuss stuff retard

I see your point, but the drives I purchase are the Western Digital Gold enterprise drives 10TB each. There not cheap by any means but they make up for that in their supreme reliability in RAID. I haven't had one fail yet and I have been using them for quite a long time.

Do you have an automated scraper system to download content you want from magnet links on sites like pantsu, if so, would you mind sharing the source, or at least the API if you used one.

ai moderation

should point out the automated system just sends up red flags and has some real person sift through when it does.

its better to spend more on people this way then really let the public know how heavily they are monitored.

a country can easily clamp down on it, or take down sites you like because some corperation doesn't like them.

10TB drives I would change the RAID setup but when your talking disposable easily bought ones... I haven't had one fail yet either in about 5 years now fingers crossed. I have 2 sitting at stand by and haven't had to use them yet.

No scrapers, Might be autism but I find it soothing spending an hour or 2 every night and queing everything up for the last 24 hours off various sites, Pretty much a daily ritual.

I used to do that but I was spoiled when I made an automated scraper that would que up all the youtube videos I have watched that day and let me click yes or no to downloading each in an instant

>Might be autism
definitely autism

You have autism for thinking he has autism

Let's be honest the majority of gents here have some form of autism.

yeah, pretty clear.

Guys what should I hoard? I have no idea what to get.

Ask yourself what would be hard to get in a grid down situation, and what would be valuable in a grid down situation. Find what products those 2 things intersect and buy those. Guns, ammo, electricity (solar panels), food, water, etc. Really depends on what your hoarding for

Ok OP, here's my perspective.

The first thing I think needs to be understood is that everything is 100% compromised. No ifs, ands, or buts. If you look simply at something like wikileaks (Which most certainly is only showing a very very small snippet of the actuality of things), you see that government agencies have at the least taken aggressive actions towards having their fingers inside everything digital. Personally, I think the technology towards the top is so advanced that they don't even take the time to actively infect every single thing because it's such a trivial action with what they have. Maybe I'm getting too conspiratard but I wouldn't be suprised if there is some type of satellite band technology that let's them create a some wifi type field in a certain area and connect to even offline devices. I've even heard that wifi itself creates enough signals that it's like 3d mapping.

The point that I'm getting at is that you can't escape it. There is in fact an entity above us with complete access to all information. Nothing is hidden. Now when begin to take into account what the potential capabilities are of this entity (I say entity because I really have no idea what type of people are at the head of the different beasts behind the scenes), and then compare anything you could possibly do to fight back, you realize it's just not possible. There is no escape. You are in a poisoned sea and there's no getting off no matter what you do.

You're taking the doomsday path, for when the government takes complete control over the internet. The truth is, they already have complete control. The days of complete anonymity (If that even existed) are long over. I don't think there's going to be something like an organized and complete take over of the majority bottom by the top because such organization isn't possible. Honestly, I think behind the scenes it's just a clusterfuck of different interests. Too much spread out power.

I understand that, but at least for now any entity isn't majorly acting on that power. Which is why I feel like I have an opportunity or have time to escape. If gradually over time it got worse and finally I told myself 'i need to leave the internet' I would be able to disconnect myself entirely, destroy any easily wireless capable devices, and essentially remove myself from the internet world. But at what cost. What do I really gain from doing that, that would offset the utter isolation I would get in return.

Indeed, and medication (plus things like seeds.) But I was referring to digitally hoarding.

Now, behind the scenes I think there's the understanding that they could completely control and change all information if all the powers strove towards this but there are still interest who are against this for sure. They probably see the pointlessness of it and how it's just a path to totalitarianism that they can stop if they just don't do that lol.

Now what you see from this let-things-be-policy is that there are groups fighting on the social arena since the totalitarian path has been blocked by those who hold that power. So many corportations following diversity ideas and twitter and patreon banning far right individuals from their site which will slowly grow into shutting down people who don't agree with whoever is behind the whole progressive ideology.

Escape? You must have misunderstood. They already got you. Even if you went off the grid, burnt your thumb prints off, became a mountain man and never saw another person again, I guaran-fucking-tee you that the entire fucking thing is being streamed by spy satelite into the cia break room. Let go, embrace the botnet. It's already got you.

Information. Above all you need to get information that can be useful to you. Even if you don't think its going to be useful to you, you need to be able to have enough information to be able to produce basic goods on your own if you find the materials out in the wild. For example chemistry textbooks, or videos from chemistry channels (codys lab on youtube), or math, science, engineering, geography, maps, weather information. There is absolutely NO DOWNSIDE to more information. Entertainment, believe me your going to be bored. Porn, yet again your going to be bored.

I'd prefer to retain some form of hope that I have a chance of escape. Even if my hope is far fetched at best. I don't want to not try, get caught in the net, and wonder if I could have done something about it.

what do you mean by get caught?

If in the future I break one of the government internet rules and hold a political view I shouldn't on a public forum. And get prosecuted for it (I know, seems far fetched).

Ahh I see. Honestly man, if something like that were to happen, it's beyond you're control completely.

I personally don't believe that would happen because what you have to understand is that there is a large network of power spread across many places so you would have to have a very large level of conformity for this to happen which it wouldn't because there are too many people who either wouldn't agree with it morally, or wouldn't agree with it because it doesn't fit in within their agenda. I think the control game is being played on the social ring. Look up canadas bill c-16 and it's surrounding controversy for an example of how this might happen.

IDK but it has been the case before that one data hoarding mans web crawl was what was left after some company had a technical, financial or (very rarely) employee rage issue.

I don't see a problem with you hoarding some.

One suggestion is "web stuff you might want to see again when older", and be it a dump of this board or an obscure game or meem images. Archive.org won't have much of it overall.

Also, stuff that you just like.

Download all movies and books that interest you, download Wikipedia as well.

Already done with Kiwix.