WHY ARE LINUX DESKTOPS SO BUGGY, UNSTABLE AND PURE STUPID UNREFINED???

So like I said, my question is:
WHY ARE GNU/LINUX / OTHER-OBSCURE-UNIX DESKTOPS SO BUGGY, UNSTABLE AND PURE STUPID UNREFINED???

How many YEARS of development have so many desktop environments & window managers go into that they can't even into being more than BARELY STABLE for desktop usage? I watermarked the pic related so you shitty retards won't say stupid shit like
>inb4 user maybe u r wrong Distro

DUMBASS. I've tried them all. So many distros. So many DEs: GNOME/KDE/XFCE/LXDE/UNITY/CDE/OPENBOX/GNUSTEP [INSERT SEVERAL OTHER OBSCURE OR LESS WELL KNOWN DE]

I've tried EVERY window manager under the sun too. They're all half-assed uality when it comes to either Windows or Mac. Which makes me disappointing as a turd in a pond as I like FOSS, yet literally NONE of them come up to the stability and integrated reliability quality of windows or mac.

Example:
>be me,
>working on a thang in linux
>Oh no, ERROR X occured, [or Desktop, App or User environment in general don't work like it should]
>Google how2fix
>300 command-line copypaste or jargony config from obscure website as fix
>App or Desktop Environmental function doesn't integrate or behave as supposed to
>Oh no, another 300 command-line copypaste or shitty jargonloaded config file from obscure website as fix

I, as any sane average end-user, wanna fire up my computer, open my apps, and get shit down witthout tinkering the obscure asshole of the system just to get things usable in case of problems or side-ideas.

WHY IS THIS????????
>inb4 Age of Linoogs Desktoop

Age of fat useless nerd who wanna nose-pick the system while trying to get things done and bitch on the end user for not liking x. Give me a quality post about why Linux desktop be like it is

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iK6SS8CXYZo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is this an OC pasta?

it's designed to be insecure so that nerds that write your software can themselves hack into it

I can't prove you wrong. As the king of Linux, I accept that it is inferior

NO you absolute RETARD. Answer my question or kill yourself.

loonix on desktop is shit, its been like that since forever. Fun part is that back in 2002 I've heard same sect shit about how good loonix on desktop is, and I hear it nowadays too. At least you got GPU drivers, you dumb niggers. It's plain simple: xorg is outdated trash, widget toolkits all look different don't follow same style its a fucking mess, its not organized, works on shit slow tech like python bindings, and because of that GUI apps are done by amateurs.Those niggers don't even know how good and fast WinAPI software is, poor niggers all I can say.

I rate it 4/10 at best

ruff ryders

What about FreeBSD? Literally, how hard is it to write AT LEAST 1 stable-ass desktop environment that's very well integrated with the rest of the system like Mac & Windows. AT LEAST 1.

you sound like an underage faggot

Cringed hard, you are good at this

Stop ironically detaching yourself from reality and answer the question

What question?

You sound like an overage faggot. I'm calling the cops, you smelly old pedo.

You know what uestion bitchass retard.

WHY ARE LINUX DESKTOP SO SHITE COMPARED TO MAC&WIN AND WHY WONT NOBODY DO NOTHN ABOUT IT EXCEPT PRODUCE MORE USELESS SHITE DEs

>62930572
cus its nigger tech homie, u dig?

Wow, nice specific error you have there. Definitely not a shitpost

I don't use MacOS but Windows' DE is worse than GNOME in my experience. Actually, I hardly can get comfy with Windows 10 DE. You simply can't use POSIX shells effectively in windows

>Give me a quality post about why Linux desktop be like it is
I've explained it to the past 9934232 faggots who have posted the same shit here. Why should i explain it to you?

>What is ubuntu on windows.
>What is cygwin.

Bait harder.

>>What is ubuntu on windows.
>>What is cygwin.
Emulation of Linux, not windows

>have folder with a few .mkv files in windows
>it's arranged in tile blocks
>change it to list view
>close the folder, rename it
>the content in the folder is now again organized in tiles
If you can answer me "WHY IS THIS?????" to the above here then I'm sure you can answer your own question as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

It's not buggy dickhead! The problem is you're using Ubuntu. That african shit!

Because general purpose desktop PCs are the most complex devices out there, which means making them just werk is EXPENSIVE and Linux ain't got much money.
Happy now?

This is why you buy the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

>windows is fucking horrible, it cant even POSIX
>windows is literally the other end of the spectrum, as far from UNIX in the desktop world that exists
My orange is fucking disgusting, it tastes nothing like almond!

youtube.com/watch?v=iK6SS8CXYZo

>Implying everything is bug-free
Well no shit you got a as in "AYY" 1 bug. But those are rare af compared to linux unless you bloat your windows ass up to infinity. Be honest.

Even then, you don't have to go kiddy diddle so many obscure config files or copypasta long-ass weird intuitive command from 1 of million little command-line utils in the system:
> " sudo fsck /usr/oa/dkoa/boamw/ad.o > | grep my ass -afy" exec this-bitches.sh".

Those little bitchy issues you face are rare on windows DESKTOP but PLENTY on a linux Desktop. Same is vice-versa for a shitty windows SERVER vs a linux SERVER. Actually try to be honest and HELP you hippie FOSS faggot

It's not just your orange that's disgusting. Oranges _are_ disgusting.

>have ubuntu 16.04
>try to udpate to 17.04
>installation finishes but mouse and kb are irresponsive
>try to install the missing package from recovery mode
>recovery mode doesnt have internet access
>try lots of methods to get it running
>it doesnt work
>reinstall ubuntu completely
>now nvidia drivers are the problem
>get stuck in a login loop because the drivers are faulty
>>try to fix it but it doesnt work
>try to install debian because this is clearly not gonna work
>now the system doesn't recognize any OS
>format the entire computer and lose some information in the process

>I watermarked the pic related so you shitty retards won't say stupid shit like
>>inb4 user maybe u r wrong Distro
I'm a pedo terrorist windows 10 user and i found this funny.

>But those are rare af compared to linux unless you bloat your windows ass up to infinity. Be honest.
You are either underage or you don't belong here. Nevertheless shall I "be honest", windows is choked with shit like that, for every weird thingy in UNIX I can give you fucking 100 in windows. I mean, there's 2 fucking seperate places to adjust several system settings (control panel and whatever the fuck that new "settings" menu is all about). The best part about all that is that you can't find everything in either settings menu, in other words, to properly go over each and every setting, you will have to go through both the entire control panel and the new settings menu.
Go fuck yourself if you honestly believe windows is decent for a desktop experience.

I always make recommendations and share info but I think I give up. I'd rather see Sup Forums squander in technological failure.

>Haha these plebs, I actually enjoy sharting all over the desktop with command-line diarrhea and config file asshole fingering. Only a dumb normie end-user pleb like you will never understand the euphoria of shitting all over the buggy desktop environment with my higher knowledge of obscure text commands to emulate the tr00 end-user Desktop Experience.

desu windows installer is even more destructive, it just cleans a whole partition to its own use. But you dont ever need to reinstall windows, linux gets updated all the time and shit always breaks.

Thats why you should keep /etc and /home in their respectice partitions tho. I distrohopped from debian to manjaro with a separate /home-partition and it just werked, i was blown away.

See Ear-shutting retard

You don't need the command line for anything close to a "default desktop experience". Especially not with ubuntu, pretty much everything these days is out of the box shit.
Have fun waiting 10 minutes for windows to search you entire computer everytime you want to find a file, I'll be here finding 1324 results in 0.001 seconds.

>my incompetence with computers is your fault

When will you fags least Ubuntu is absolute shit?

Because its a hobby OS made by hobbyists for hobbyists

So what? I've used Debain & FreeBSD & other distros too.

Both are shit. They're all shit. All desktop FOSS is absolute SHIT compared to their proprietary counterparts because people apparently write lazy shitty code and can't into quality software unless a boss barking down their faggy mohamis for them to do it right

The GNU, Linux and FOSS unix-compatible software codebase is worth billions of dollars in manhours and salary. The real problem is Linux is not a project or envoronment; its just a bunch of individual packages that loosely work together and overlap. Everything has or is a fork of a fork of a fork, and every project is of whoppingly different skill level. Most code is probably amateur shit.

There exists no singular teams of developers that would create a comprehensive desktop environment including the dm, the de, the wm, a standardized and centralized settings location, APIs and a clear direction. All linux distros are just scrapyard piles of loosely fitting parts.

Thats why GNU, Linux and a terminal emulator is the way Linux is mostly uses (in servers). There the UNIX philosophy blossoms and works and the blocks remain simple and cooperative. A desktop needs all these well laid, together working, finetuned cogs, but then distros leave the fine tuning to the end-user, which is exactly the ass-fiddling config file ordeal.

Cygwin is, but ubuntu isn't nigger.

Yeah, because ubuntu means windows according to Sup Forums spills

Not OP, but I've been getting the same error on my Ubuntu Xenial for months now. Except clicking "cancel" and forgetting about it seems to work great until.

MSYS2 is native windows binaries, no emulation everything in it has actually been ported.

>install linux
>want to access network drive
>click network icon
>stalls
>"Could not mount on /"

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.

So what? Linux beats Windows and Mac in the server market

Even then, that still doesn't accuse LAZY ass shitty coding of desktop software messy "here end-user, you do the job" attitude of design. Microsoft was a small ass peanutboi compared to Canonical back in the old day and yet they managed to produce win95/win98 which is heck more stable and reliable for its day that linux is in this day and age (and even Windows 10 in some ways).

The REAL answer is that your average retard and org can't code for shit, design for shit, and do anything for shit except some half-assed "THERE BITCH YOU GOT A DE, YOU HAPPY? ITS FREE ANYWAY BASTARD DONT COMPLAIN MY INCOMPETENCE" attitude.

Just showing my support for OP

The current state of desktop linux is abysmal

Too many projects doing the same thing without enough people to polish them. Until the focus shifts from new features to fixing the ones that exist, there will never be mainstream usage.

TL;DR The UNIX philosophy doesn't work jackshit for quality FOSS or quality FOSS GPL software

Network drive should mount under /run or some shit, / is plain retarded.

Also what do you mean "Network drive"? Is it SMB? SSHfs?

95 and 98 were full of shit compared even the worst unity release. Now w10 is the first wangblows release with nt kernel that actually can shit itself randomly. This is the bright future of microsoft's ignorance.

You don't pay for it, and you sure as hell don't contribute to it. Quit being an entitled millennial cunt. I've only ever seen those messages on Ubuntu, which I noped out of after 30 minutes.

That doesn't mean debian is suitable for modern desktop use

That's just the error you're given.This is Linux, bud, YOU figure it out.

>So what? Linux beats Windows and Mac in the server market
Again, making a server OS are way easier than a desktop OS, it's not even close.
And I guess Linux got the right formula for servers and so it stuck, while Windows was mostly a desktop OS that couldn't be ported to the server as efficiently.

The bottom line is there simply isn't a lot of money to be made from a polished desktop Linux distro.
Why would people sweat their ass off for free? Fixing bugs is fucking boring.

If enough people agreed to donate money to some desktop distro project that would guarantee stable development for decades maybe we'd see some results.

Microshit fired a lot of quality testers and Windows 10 is the result.

>hurt u no contribute stop complain about legit problems

My point proven:

"The REAL answer is that your average retard and org can't code for shit, design for shit, and do anything for shit except some half-assed "THERE BITCH YOU GOT A DE, YOU HAPPY? ITS FREE ANYWAY BASTARD DONT COMPLAIN MY INCOMPETENCE" attitude."

>What is ubuntu on windows.
>What is cygwin.
A pale imitation of the real thing.

>>If enough people agreed to donate money to some desktop distro project that would guarantee stable development for decades maybe we'd see some results.

Ubuntu is backed and funded by a huge organization and it's no better than any other loonix in stability.

Install random app from repo, refuses to download, install another, refuses to run, install a theme, black boxes everywhere icons used to be, uninstall theme, entire system refuses to boot. Zero QC, anywhere.

Your the retard using buntu

>. A desktop needs all these well laid, together working, finetuned cogs, but then distros leave the fine tuning to the end-user, which is exactly the ass-fiddling config file ordeal.

hmm so the registry in windows is better and efficient?

The only DE's I've used that weren't total trash are XFCE (fucking godly compared to everything else, so comfy) and Gnome, which was very stable but also very bloated and laggy.

Why do you keep replying to posts in ways that only fit your narrative?
You called this guy an "ear-shutting retard" (or are at least behaving that way), yet the only thing you do is cherry pick tiny little things of the posts you reply to and ignore and all reason in them as to why you are wrong.
You're not here to consider different opinions, you're here to push your dogshit opinion on us.

WSL came out of beta recently and is coming out with more distros. It's really neat and way better than it was before. Try it out on the no-bloat Windows10 ltsb n version.

Gnome >3.22 is the best DE, windows and Mac OS can't even compete

I hate you plebs.

t. Active user of every OS

>Ubuntu is backed and funded by a huge organization
Last time I checked, Canonical was losing money with Ubuntu.
I doubt they're dedicating it many resources nowadays.

Can't even compare it to the likes of MS and Apple and even those are not bug free.

>compared to their proprietary counterparts

yeah? show me how to finally disable the automatic updates in windows?

And lets focus on Home edition. Even if you specify WHEN the updates should work, its always working and stalling the computer.

Always some telemetry collecting and sending, some "Getting information for your best experience" task is running and fucking around.

Even the default andtivirus program from windows is always working due to the fact it wants to fucking scan itself over and over, so you have to add it to its excluded list.

And then I hear arguments such as "its your fault you cannot afford the 4000 dollars laptops that does not stall when a >>>simple

>registry

A sensible registry system on a UNIX-like clone is one thing people haven't tried all these years. Beats having bloating .buttholerc littered all over

Kek its easier to navigate to the .buttholerc than the fucking registry.

You delete a settings file by accident? no problem in linux just load the default

You change a registry by accident? Well good luck if you don't get bsods

>pushing opinions
No I'm getting you to admit your dogshit dishonesty of AGE of LINoOX Desktop and shilling that around to every unsuspecting end-user that inherently wants a stable option but doesn't realize it until he jumps on the fat hippie nerd FOSS bandwagon.

>Ltsb meme
>Incomplete WSL
no thanks

because non-professionals did them

Registry would be amazing if it were plaintext separate files all contained in one place instead of scattered across the wind like in loonix systems.

As it is now it does what it's supposed to but is still an unportable mess internally.

>leftovers after apt autoremove purge
>Don't realize it until you randomly go in /usr/local/share/boi/hoe/.../.xxrc
>tfw every random folder is filled with junk because it's all over the place

>reset configs to default
Yeah well if you implemented a great registry system that can backup defaults can work too. Windows registry is shit but still better than scattered cookie configs all over your file hierarchy

>WHY WONT NOBODY DO NOTHN
negro detected, dismiss this as being literally retarded

>he fell for the loonix meme

wow OP nice pasta, copied!

>xfce
> end user, set shit up, got a broken link to a package that don't exist? Set that up on your own too?
>wanna search by just typing for shit? Too bad, do it yourself, or get a an extension that breaks in case you uninstall xfce
>wanna notifications? Too bad, install a notifier or hack out your own unstable one yourself

Yeah no, all these lightweight "des" are nothing more than gui wms with bare-minimum functionality to ensure stability. But even then my experience with them were more than frustrating.

Ikr but there is still more integration and wholeness without things breaking apart in heaps down to the low-level like with nvidia drivers

>opera 12.10
Right in the feels.

>windows
>stability
this must be b8

windows and mac are considerably older than linux

all three piss me off equally at the moment

i agree my fellow gamer

Here we go.

You have to install wood screws into your motherboard before you can install a proper linux desktop.

I actually agree with this.
Anytime a legitimate criticism of Linux gets debated Sup Forums's response is to fix it by using some time-consuming process. They are all kids that have too much time on their hands and their lives are so pathetic that they think knowing some knowledge about obscure and broken OS is a redeeming quality. Anyone that works at an actual tech company will use windows or osx for their actual programming (unless it is mainly server based then it is always redhat or oracle). The only thing that linux is good for is not having any de and for servers. Even the gentoo founder uses a macbook. Stop arguing with these kids, like I said they got too much time on their hands and do not want to let people know that it has been all for not.

cool nice marketing. Linux is still garbage.

>I'm not pushing opinions, I only want you to take over my opinion
Have you read your own bullshit?

> yet literally NONE of them come up to the stability and integrated reliability quality of windows or mac.
seems like a legit complaint to me.
>inb4 but.... but... it is the companies fault for not supplying drivers
I think the companies know ur shit os is not worth making drivers for.

>mfw 10 years ago Linux (free software in general) was the best its ever been
>the foundations were solid, worthwhile features were increasing while resource usage was decreasing
>all the base software at every level, while old, was mature and no one had any problem with it
>now all that has been thrown out in favor of new bloated, "complex"*, shit that is getting heavier and more unstable even as they remove things
*clusterfuck

What the fuck went wrong? I remember Linux being lighter than even XP while more powerful, now its heavier than Win7 and does less.

>I think the companies know ur shit os is not worth making drivers for
vital servers tend to run on linux but okay

Who are you quoting?
I'm having quite the hard time to give you serious replies, here I'll respond in the language you understand:
OMG why can't i NEVER find what I want in the control panel?????????
>inb4 but it's all easy to find
It's not

Now please, fuck off.

Oh and how many drivers does a server need? Servers are fine for linux, however for personal use as an OS it is shit and outdated.
Cause the community was small enough back then to have some cohesion and unity. Now, fucking everyone and their mothers think their method is better then everyone else's and corporate are now pushing their own tech since the community cannot make up their damn minds. There are petty arguments over default applications and de's. I will still never forgive the community for accepting systemd.

Vital servers don't need anywhere near as many drivers as a home desktop, and definitely not as much as laptops.

Besides, if these vital servers needed drivers, they'd probably write them themselves or pick different hardware.

>OMG why can't i NEVER find what I want in the control panel?????????
>inb4 but it's all easy to find
>It's not

I am actually agreeing with u here... I think you are mad at the wrong person. I think linux is shit.

>bloated
epic buzzword