Dude, open source software is JUST AS GOOD as proprietary softwa-

>dude, open source software is JUST AS GOOD as proprietary softwa-

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=hypervisor type
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/967351/a-heavily-fragmented-file-in-an-ntfs-volume-may-not-grow-beyond-a-cert
my.mixtape.moe/niuzqr.zip
docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/start/hardware-recommendations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

re

oi m8

yeah vmware is so good, breaking with every fucking kernel update

this

>Running it as a type 2 rather than a type 1
stay retarded anons

yeah let me just put ESXi on my fucking laptop

Its not that hard, just pass through the required hardware

>what is xen

what

lmgtfy.com/?q=hypervisor type

Pretty much a meme, even "bare metal" hyper visors have a kernel and are pretty much an entire os. Only distinction really is if the vm has hard pass through

>i still dont understand the difference between type 1 and type 2

What is GIMP?

It's easier to make a circle in Gimp than to make a green pepper in photoshop.
̇͜>̇

QEMU master race

virtualbox is okay

xen then

Why the fuck you need to virtualize something?

Still laughably small feature set comparison. Doesnt have anything which competes with VSAN or NSX.

What can I natively run TempleOS on?

KVM/QEMU is pounding the shit out of VMwares' tight little pooper

>ESXi
>ESEXi
>ESEXY
>E-Sexy

You are right, in this case it is far better.

vmware is about doing everything in a neat MCSE-proof WYSIWYG package.

in a small or medium shop it might be better since, like with Cisco products, you have a ad hoc mechanism for every fucking thing with its own acronym name to boot, and the retarded license costs are still cheaper than having engineers on payroll, although not by much.

but if you ARE a sizeable tech company and you are using vmware then you are fucking stupid. you'll have a better and cheaper solution if you build your stack on kvm/qemu and just develop whatever else you need.

ESXi works in Macbooks, you can perfectly make it work on your chinkpad.

Just use QEMU+KVM and forget thosr VMWare and VirtualBox memes.

>I dont know what PowerCLI is or pic related

>you'll have a better and cheaper solution if you build your stack on kvm/qemu and just develop whatever else you need.

Not what enterprise is like, at all. We use vsphere at the office because it's not worth it to the company to hire people more money to maintain something that we have to develop ourselves so that leet hackers on Sup Forums can claim a network is superior. It's much better to have a corporate escalation path so you can offset internal liabilities.

If shit goes down and it's vmware's fault, that means it isn't the company's fault, which is FAR more important than running more on less hardware, since hardware is dirt fucking cheap in the first place. Why spend on salary+training+development+retooling+documentation+migration bullshit when you can just throw $150,000 at the datacenter guys to buy new hardware that will give us even more performance than whatever extra we MIGHT be able to tweak out of using KVM instead of vsphere?

vmware is good on windows (fukin shit on linux), but their default settings are retarded. splitting drive images into multiple files, and doing windows guest installs it forces options to be selected without even prompting you (for anyone else having this issue, disable the other drives, it plugs in a "helper' image that controls this. for me it was in the floppy drive)

qemu+kvm honestly runs great as long as you are only working in the guest and will never need clipboard sharing or file drag and drop.

VMware does have an open source version of their software, you idiots.

KVM and Xen are open source.

fpbp

It's easier to make a circle in Gimp than to make a green pepper in photoshop.
̇͜>̇

AWS uses Xen. Are you saying AWS sucks?
>inb4 "hurr cloud is shit even though I never used it"

Proxmox is better than VMware

Proxmox is not a virtualization tool, it's just an "admin panel for VM" and an OS optimized for virtualization. It probably use KVM, Xen or whatever.

It uses KVM for virtualization and LXC for containers.

Just use Proxmox. It's easier to use than VMware and it's free. Stop making excuses.

for, you know, real work at my actual job fuck nugget

Point is its an easy to use interface like VMsphere except it's on top of actually good technology.

This guy gets it. It's good to see someone actually employed on Sup Forums.
But I think there is a limit on how much you can throw at the datacenter guys depending on the company scale right? After all, hardware might be cheaper than a good engineer, but there are associated costs, like electricity, cooling, security, etc So when does it break even? and when a FOSS alternative might be profitable? What to do with the unneeded hardware? And wouldn't be cheaper in the long run to use FOSS from the start?

OVH use both VMWare and KVM

>but their default settings are retarded. splitting drive images into multiple files,
This happens for a reason you retard. Because they can get heavily fragmented, and most people dont format their disks with large record segements enabled.

>And wouldn't be cheaper in the long run to use FOSS from the start?
No.

it also makes the drives run slower, and adds a risk factor that incase of something happening to the file system between backups resulting in the loss of important information, you will never get it back because the drive was split into 30 files that you dont know the order to or which vm drive which piece went to.
so I guess the tldr is kys, you have no business operating in a professional environment.

>it also makes the drives run slower
No it doesn't. The fragmentation would take place regardless, and the performance penalty is only relevant from HDDs.

>and adds a risk factor that incase of something happening to the file system between backups resulting in the loss of important information
No it doesn't.

>so I guess the tldr is kys, you have no business operating in a professional environment.
lol ok. I'm just some fag with a vsphere cluster at home talking to some retard who uses workstation.

Docker / rkt, Nomad, Kubernetes, Ceph, Spark, Hadoop, Cassandra, Ansible / Salt / StackStorm are all open sauce.

Almost everything worthwhile in big data / big processing "cloud" infrastructure is largely or entirely open sauce.

VMWare is mostly a Windows user toy getting swallowed up in the great wave of containerized applications. And finished off by kvm being free and better.

>No it doesn't.
holy fuck kill yourself please, pic related. vmware even tells you this themselves.

>No it doesn't.
ok, then go erase your backups and mkfs on the drive that houses all of your virtual machines and get them back with photorec. be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

>m just some fag with a vsphere cluster at home
youre just an autist that got a key gen so that he could larp sysadmin. you know fuck all about any of this.

>holy fuck kill yourself please, pic related. vmware even tells you this themselves.
Go back and read my post you retard, then look up what large record segment limitations are on NTFS

>ok, then go erase your backups and mkfs on the drive that houses all of your virtual machines and get them back with photorec.
What kind of ghetto fucking backup software do you use? Oh thats right, a poorfag who can only find a copy of Workstation Player

>youre just an autist that got a key gen so that he could larp sysadmin.
I also have Veeam and a Scale Out File Server cluster at home too.

>then look up
don't need to, their disclaimer says it all. it clearly says splitting up the disk can cause penalties.
I said splitting up a disk has penalties.
You claim it doesn't
you're wrong, I was correct. deal with it.

>What kind of ghetto fucking backup software do you use
go back and read my post, you completely over looked a conditional statement just so you can shit post.
I clearly said it adds a risk factor that IF something happens BETWEEN BACKUPS that results in shit getting lost then you wouldn't be able to put the pieces back together.

>I also have
irrelevant.

I replaced Virtualbox with QEmu + Libvirt

Works better than that piece of shit from Jewracle

lil containers are running like 95% on vmware virtualized linux

No, you're just some butthurt fag who cant keep proper backups, doesnt know about the 3-2-1 rule. And let me hold your hand like the retard you are and give you a KB article on why you need to manually format NTFS volumes with LRS enabled if you're working with large files

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/967351/a-heavily-fragmented-file-in-an-ntfs-volume-may-not-grow-beyond-a-cert

its funny how you cant even recognize a risk factor.
who said anything about ntfs?

> Scale Out File Server
This definitely hoists the winbabby trash admin flag *very* high.

Never use this trash unless you want to show your individual or organizational incompetence.

> Veeam
Now you're tied almost completely to Microsoft, VMWare, Veeam each.

Congrats, you're sitting on an inefficient, inflexible, comparatively slow and resource hungry piece of shit stack that completely depends on a bunch of price gouging companies to continue running.

>who said anything about ntfs?
You're running Workstation Player on Win7, you're using it on NTFS.

>I wish I had 64TB storage at home and 10GbE
anyways stay jelly user

Font name user?

Whatever the default on OS X is. SF Mono Regular. my.mixtape.moe/niuzqr.zip

>I wish i had a case of disks to use as virtual tapes with Veeam and StarWind VTL.

Im not virtualizing windows 7 and that computer is only used for normie activities.
Not that it matters, but vm player is only on that computer to troubleshoot issues with android x86 in a virtual environment.

Never. It's just the Windows retarded side of things that almost completely needs their VMWare.

The big and clever entities that run their (typically *far* bigger) clouds on Linux will generally not use VMWare at the root of their stacks. If they even systematically use it anywhere at all. It's just in the way.

[Sure enough, if they offer infrastructure then somewhere they probably offer something VMWare for Windows refugees, but eh, that sits somewhere on top for customers who need it.]

Didn't say you don't have ~$3.5k or whatever to buy hardware for a retarded SOFS toy,

SOFS is just utter shit. Scale my ass, you throw immense amounts of hardware at it for really shitty management and performance.

Nobody who actually tested this will prefer it over Ceph or some other actually good solution.

VMware is fucking awful.
Literally stop being a fucking retard, grow a brain cell and use QEMU/KVM.

For end-user software it would be only Blender.

The rest of free software is utter garbage.
GIMP
Inkscape
LibreOffice

Any other software you name it, is utter garbage compared to their professional proprietary alternatives, such as Photoshop, Ilustrator, Microsoft Office.

Not even freetards believe that.

>dude proprietary software is just as open source softwa-

>you throw immense amounts of hardware at it for really shitty management and performance.
>Nobody who actually tested this will prefer it over Ceph or some other actually good solution.
lol no.

docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/start/hardware-recommendations/
>~1GB per 1TB of storage per daemon
Meanwhile SOFS is just using 1GB for 64TB of storage capacity. Then you get to allocate another 1GB per 1TB for ZFS as well per its documentation.

Stay buttblasted that others have nice things and actually have experience with software.

>~1GB per 1TB of storage per daemon
Unlike with SOFS, the performance recommendations (not requirements, recommendations!) are influenced by entities like CERN who deployed another 225 servers * 48 drives per server * 6TB per drive = 64.8PB this spring) that do want things to go VERY smooth. It operates better than SOFS on less hardware.

SOFS is basically trash even at the TB scale unless you throw all the right hardware at it, whereas Ceph actually works well up to PB scale in a demanding, even pretty heterogenous environment.

> Stay buttblasted that others have nice things and actually have experience with software.
But of course - you chose the retarded (bloated, inflexible, extremely vendor-locked, comparatively slow and icky) stack because you had broad experience with everything.

Well, ultimately I'm just pointing this out to others. I don't think you have the mental flexibility to do anything else, regardless if experience in the wider ecosystem and market shows indicates it works better.

>ultimately I'm just pointing this out to others
Thats the best you can do. This guy is an autist that thinks he does everything the right way and trolls Sup Forums just to try and talk shit. just let him waste his life away, anyone that isnt retarded will see hes full of shit within 4 posts of talking to him.
Its good that you're pointing out to others the correct way to do things.

>still no sources
>just autistic screeching
Have fun with you're Core i5 shitbox and gaymer LEDs. Dont forget to buy a Razer DeathAdder goy. Meanwhile i'm running Temple OS on pic related.

Sometimes is better, sometimes is worse.
If there is a lot of cool shit to code, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be better, such as for example ffmpeg.

Also you can get software that absolutely demolish proprietary software in features but suck at basic things like UI design like for example blender.
Blender do EVERYTHING and do it better than any commercial 3D package, but to actually find the shit...