why is yahoo still so big in japan

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/business-34667380
youtube.com/watch?v=tl6u2NASUzU
youtu.be/zdf1DR9btlA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

old people refuse to change habits
just like how flipphones are still big in japan

Those lonely horny Jap men know that the CEO of Yahoo is a woman, so by still using her platform they may have a chance to plunder that clunge.

It's not the same company. Yahoo Japan is a completely different company to Western Yahoo, they just share the name.

Japanese are notorious for not wanting to adopt new technology.

Even in some cutting edge tech firms, they still use fax machines and literally burn CDs with data.

bbc.com/news/business-34667380

>"Japanese companies generally lag foreign companies by roughly five-to-10 years in adoption of modern IT practices, particularly those specific to the software industry," says Patrick McKenzie, boss of Starfighter, a software company with operations in Tokyo and Chicago.

>"You have to understand how SMEs [small and medium-sized enterprises] dominate the Japanese business landscape," he says.
>SMEs account for 99.7% of Japan's 4.2 million companies, according to Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. So the world's third biggest economy is driven by minor establishments, not the giants everybody knows outside of Japan.

>These SMEs are often conservative, if not downright Luddite, says Mr Otokozawa.
>"They usually use postal mail, or fax for their communications. We sometimes receive a fax, written by hand which means such firms don't even use word processing software like Word."

>"For email and internal communication we used Cyboz, which was text-only, and we were allowed a minuscule amount of server space, so deleting and/or transferring old emails because your allotted space was full was a near-monthly activity."

>Burning data onto discs and delivering them through the post, accompanied by a data submission form "filled out by hand," was encouraged by managers.
>And when software updates or the adoption of collaborative tools like Basecamp and Dropbox were suggested, management spurned them, he maintains.

nice meme

Japanese kids don't even learn how to use a keyboard until they're in high school, many never even touch a computer before that.
t. Went to high school there

Easier to pronounce than google

Japan is full of brainlets who use Windows and iPhone.

remember when you opened up yahoo messenger and it would screen YaaaHOOOOooOoOoooooooooo

the image search isn't bollocks, for one

Was in Japan earlier this year. They are surprisingly behind technology wise. Still using fax machines and dot matrix printers when buying e.g. tickets for things. Very cash-based society, loads of places still won't take normal credit/debit cards let alone contactless. WinXP everywhere. Application forms filled out on paper in triplicate instead of electronically

Really aside from the fancy toilets they are way behind

its called "not falling for the meme"

>not falling for a meme
But they all use iPhones.

Same reason why they don't use adblock or ublock. They're tech illiterate mostly.

You people don't understand the "if its not broke dont fix it" mentality of japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=tl6u2NASUzU

\they understand that technology is not what makes your business run. It's people. Also paper trails are easier to manage and less chance of being part of a botnet. Plus less chance of people goofing off on social media instead of doing actual work. They prefer talking to each other in person too where it is less likely there will be a misunderstanding..

Japan is apparently the only country where the dominant physical media format is Bluray and not the ancient DVD format though.

It generally produces better results for Japanese queries than Google.

japan hardly takes changes

Japan is truly a glorious utopia

Fuck off weebs

>Very cash-based society, loads of places still won't take normal credit/debit cards let alone contactless.

This. I was there in June and when we went to the official tourist desk in the Osaka airport to buy transit passes and rent a hotspot. We discovered that they only took cash. Fortunately there was another kiosk selling sim cards that took credit cards and I had a few thousand yen from a previous trip to get us to the hotel. When I travel I usually get cash from an ATM at a bank since the transaction fees are less than what the currency exchanges charge. We also had the experience of a small hotel that only took cash as well.

Most people there just use their debit cards for ATMs and the credit card ads there focus on convincing people that they are worth having where as here it's more about the particular features.

Because it's the default home page, just like Google elsewhere, Bing in China, Yandex in Russia or Naver in South Korea. The only reason people keep asking about Yahoo in Japan is because it's something they know. In other words, dumb memester fucks keep memeing like retards.

There was another bullshit article by BBC that memesters love to post, but it's bullshit. I've been to Japan and the only difference there is that indeed Fax is more popular, but that's because that's how it is done and no one but memesters outside Japan care.

It's just like law services in the US for example, that still relies a lot on physical acts and procedures, and where Fax is still used.

I've BEEN to Japan, I've LIVED there, these articles are absolutely ABSURD. It's nearly 100% bullshit. People are far too naive.

No one cares about credit cards in Japan because they don't make any sense. Carrying loads of cash isn't a problem because theft is a concept that has never and will never be a part of the lives of the majority of the Japanese.

Walking with $2000 in your pocket in downtown Tokyo is safer than walking with a CC in Paris or London. Also, the Japanese tend to be more responsible with their finances, so they don't see credit cards as FREE MONIES!11!1, it's a matter of "why pay later if I can pay now? Either I have money or I don't." When cards are necessary, they'll use debit cards.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Yahoo Japan's search engine has been a front end for Google's tech since 2010, so effectively they're living in 2017 whether they want to or not.

Is American Yahoo still Bing? I forgot they did that

The average Japanese family also has the equivalent of $300k in the bank compared to Americans who have $2k

Ex-Yahoo employee here. Yahoo Japan is basically a separate company from Yahoo.com. Many years back Yahoo and Softbank decided to start an Internet presence together in Japan.

The portal model that initially worked well for Yahoo.com still works very well today in Japan. They prefer a one-stop place to go for all their Internet needs and Yahoo Japan was very good at recognizing this and building everything a Japanese resident might need like shopping and auctions.

Can I get a source on this

Japs are fucking weird

Because they still have Geocities.

There is literally no way the average American had $2000 in the bank is be shocked if they had $500.

>Italy has a dildo
always gets me

Did they attach themselves to yahoo because of the smiley logo

>j-juh-j-japan is p-perfect!!

>burn CDs with data
people in the US still do this

>It's just like law services in the US for example, that still relies a lot on physical acts and procedures, and where Fax is still used.
You are sadly too stupid to understand. The article is implying that they use physical fax machines, and you just compared that to virtual fax. The fact that this simple fact went over your head destroys whatever little credibility you could have had to begin with.
>b-but I lived there
So what? Clearly you're too retarded to know shit, as you have shown.

I'm talking about physical Fax machines, you shitfuck. And if that is no longer common there, the point still stands that it has some uses elsewhere.

As the very meme article says, it's mostly a small business thing, it is, generally, but it's a rule that hasn't gone away because nobody gives a fuck.

This doesn't magically makes your meme true. That shit even says tapes are a popular thing. Ha, what a crock of shit. The average Japanese teenager doesn't even know how to use a PC, they're addicted to smartphones.

NIGGA JAPAN IS 100% IPHONE

they are one of the best goys

>I'm talking about physical Fax machines, you shitfuck. And if that is no longer common there, the point still stands that it has some uses elsewhere.
Find me one law office that doesn't have at least 1 fax machine. True, most professions have dropped it, but you pretty much have to use them in law.

CDs are not as reliable as flash drives but they are way safer

How are they not as reliable? You get more coasters, but once you burn it it stays good for years and the data won't get corrupted or deleted unless the disc is physically damaged. No bullshit with losing files because some dumbass plugged it in and then didn't safe remove it.

Safer how?

>Japanese are notorious for not wanting to adopt new technology.
Isn't this rather weird since Japan is like on the forefront of new technology and the country itself is seen as technologically advanced?

So it saying The Japs don't like to accept the facts and grow up?
Did those nukes really so that much damage

flash drives can be infected easily, i see it everyday

On the bright side it means they have much better postal services

>since Japan is like on the forefront of new technology and the country itself is seen as technologically advanced?
Did you just step out of a time portal from 1980? Japan basically fell off the global technology radar in the 90s and never fully recovered, any reputation they have is basically just a holdover from 1980s media.

Hurr muh korean smartphone
teh japan is deadz

Japan register a gorillion patents, it's the only reliable provider of quality highly specialized components and have some of the biggest semiconductor manufacturer's like NEC and Toshiba.

It still has GeoCities open, so it's cool.

that sounds beautiful

japan isn't at the forefront of anywhere near as much as it was in its heyday, the lost decade(s) are very real

Same reason they use ancient outdated trash like fax machines, windows 98, windows xp, and iphones.

>"You have to understand how SMEs [small and medium-sized enterprises] dominate the Japanese business landscape," he says.
>SMEs account for 99.7% of Japan's 4.2 million companies, according to Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. So the world's third biggest economy is driven by minor establishments, not the giants everybody knows outside of Japan.
But those statistics are like that everywhere, in most countries small to medium sized companies make up more than 90% of the economy.
It's not an excuse for them not upgrading, it's just another symptom. The real root of the cause is their culture of not replacing something that already works even if it's slower or a bit less efficient like it's been said a million times in these threads.

Japanese computer ad youtu.be/zdf1DR9btlA

This. Most innovation are coming out of US/China/Taiwan. Even Europe isn't a big contributor when it comes to technology.

What's wrong with fax? I use it a lot for quick messages to offices of government agencies etc. and i live in western europa

The Nipponese are a people with a deep-rooted respect for tradition and established norms. They started using Yahoo at the onset of the internet and will continue to use it until the end of time.

>No one cares about credit cards in Japan because they don't make any sense.

>patents
Exactly, they're years behind. Patenting is depreciated.

JEWS BTFO

Japan had minimal jew population.

American Yahoo: literally useless.
Japanese Yahoo: has everything from BBSs to an auctioning site.

Basically, Yahoo is to Japan as Google (Alphabet) is to the West.

thats pretty anti-semite of them

probably because they like/designed Mario and he says yahoo a lot.

Asians are just jews minus the diseased genes, aka untermensch nose, balding, and grotesque facial hair, etc.

lol

Yahoo has fucked me out of hundreds of dollars and countless hours of time.

Worst company in history baka desu senpai

Because its actually just google

>just like how flipphones are still big in japan

this info is like 7 years too late

you're probably one of those retards who still think Japanese women prefer white men instead of black men

The bigger question is: why is yahoo pronounced with an emphasis on the ya? That's not how people usually pronounce yahoo as an expression of joy or excitement, and that's clearly what they're referring to since there's even an exclamation mark after the name. Clearly, the emphasis should be on the hoo, not on the ya, yet everyone pronounces it YAH-hoo, as if it's the westernized name of a chinese bowl of soup.

This, when I was in Japan in 2015, there were still a few flip phones left, and some local Android phones, but by the time I went back in 2017 it was practically 100% iPhone.

>average

And the average person in my country, Switzerland, has 500’000 in their bank account, but the median has the same I do: zero.

kek

Yahoo is easier for nihonjin to say than google.

Huh, you know now that I think of it my country also has basically no jewish population at all and absolutely no one here uses credit cards either.

This man is asking the real questions.

>Don't Have Enough Savings To Cover A $500 Emergency

Of course they do, they have the newest iPhone in their pocket. Of course, they're not smart enough to sell it off in an emergency (and it's obviously dumber than having cash).

>I don't know how to encrypt a flash drive or make it read-only

And where would that be?

>And when software updates or the adoption of collaborative tools like Basecamp and Dropbox were suggested, management spurned them, he maintains
BASED. They understand privacy very well.

What you mean to say is that they're smart enough not to join the bot net

why is google still so big in america?

they fucked you over with the government, remember?

Japan is big on cash but also on prepaid cards. You can pay with pasmo or suica, wich are prepaid cards for trains pretty much anywhere. Its anonymous (you can get them from vending machienes at trainstations) and theftsafe. Creditcards simply arent popular for that reason.

You know what Japan has that the west doesn't? You can buy stuff off Amazon and Yahoo Auctions with cash. Good old, anonymous, use whatever name and address you want in your order, cash.

I buy stuff online and they send a code to my burner email address, then I go to a convenience store like Family Mart, put the code in to a machine, it spits out a receipt, and I pay cash at the register. I love it. Package gets delivered to the convenience store and I pick it up on my way home from work.

You just know if the US tried to do this it would be abused by criminals.

>paying with cash
>abused by criminals

The jews fear the samurai

>m-muh botnet
>hey japan, why dont you come join the botnet?

Y tho

deprecated

I've gone back every few years. Its sad to see the change over. Idk if I'll go back again, not just because of flip phones but I felt bored a little last time.

I fail to believe switzanistan is that poor

ya hooo ooh

The most popular option is payment on delivery. You pay the mailman, he gives you change (yes, he literally walks with cash and coins in his bag), you sign and the package is delivered.

This would be unthinkable in most other countries.

What a fucking utopia

fucking niggers kek. India has that too. even for uber we pay only cash

poland has that too

You can da that in practically any country if the company you're buying it from offers it.
We usually do that with new B2B customers as a way to ensure that we actually do get the money.

So...a taxi?

The problem is those aren't nationwide. One city uses Passmo, another uses Suica, another uses still another system. Makes it hard if you are traveling the country