What's the most enjoyable programming language to use?

What's the most enjoyable programming language to use?

Forget about everything else like employment opportunities etc. - just which language is the most fun to program in, you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

esolangs.org/wiki/IRP
pythonforbeginners.com/basics/how-to-use-python-virtualenv
esolangs.org/wiki/Ook!
rc.cat-v.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

MIPS

Ruby for scripting.
Rust & Go for programming.

Java

English. I write it and other people have to do it.

Telling a computer what to do is too boring.

Ruby, Clojure, and Haskell.

C++, unironically

how is typing "unsafe" every 15 lines enjoyable?

Javascript for everything
I'm serious
Ama

Haskell or one of its relatives. Closest you'll get to programming in math

I like Scheme a lot. But I can get more done with Python.

Agreed, unless you're doing socket programming.

Stop making a kernel in rust sweetie

So IRP?

esolangs.org/wiki/IRP

C, Haskell

Javascript is sometimes fun for seeing how disgusting you can be.

>tons of libraries
>great package manager
>simple syntax
>easy to build applications with minimal code
Python is #1

Rust is for Alpha Males
Python is for Beta Cucks

not even the same thing

JS is actually really comfy as a scripting language. Much better than Python. (Name one thing Python does better.) Too bad it gets hate because of the NodeJS webdev hipsters.

Definitely Ruby.
In what other languages can you do bullshit like:
require 'active_support/all'
1.month.from_now
=> 2017-11-16 20:57:04 -0500

lua fun

The fuck is that user? Did your time library just extend the int class?

>>tons of libraries
All slow and buggy trash
>>great package manager
You're kidding, right? How do you even distribute a consistent environment?
>>simple syntax
Yay now idiots can learn it and write libraries
>>easy to build applications with minimal code
Python is already slow and shitty, so let's quickly write a slow and shitty library for everyone to use!

in Ruby everything is an object, even integers
most pure OOP language

>tons of libraries
>All slow and buggy trash

Not true at all. Kill yourself
>great package manager
>You're kidding, right? How do you even distribute a consistent environment?
pythonforbeginners.com/basics/how-to-use-python-virtualenv
>simple syntax
>Yay now idiots can learn it and write libraries

Low barrier for entry but that's a plus when you have nearly all scientific work done in python.
>easy to build applications with minimal code
>Python is already slow and shitty, so let's quickly write a slow and shitty library for everyone to use!
KYS

>Venv
Good luck uploading a venv to pypi

>Low barrier to entry is good
I guess for retards like you

Ruby. Or Python if you lack a brain.

amiga assembly, but I'm probably nostalgic as fuck

What is Smalltalk?

Smalltalk is an object-oriented, dynamically typed, reflective programming language. Smalltalk was created as the language to underpin the "new world" of computing exemplified by "human–computer symbiosis."

It was designed and created in part for educational use, more so for constructionist learning, at the Learning Research Group (LRG) of Xerox PARC by Alan Kay, Dan Ingalls, Adele Goldberg, Ted Kaehler, Scott Wallace, and others during the 1970s.
The language was first generally released as Smalltalk-80. Smalltalk-like languages are in continuing active development and have gathered loyal communities of users around them. ANSI Smalltalk was ratified in 1998 and represents the standard version of Smalltalk.

Smalltalk took second place for "most loved programming language" in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey in 2017.

There are a large number of Smalltalk variants.

The unqualified word Smalltalk is often used to indicate the Smalltalk-80 language, the first version to be made publicly available and created in 1980.

Smalltalk was the product of research led by Alan Kay at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)

As in other object-oriented languages, the central concept in Smalltalk-80 (but not in Smalltalk-72) is that of an object. An object is always an instance of a class.

Classes are "blueprints" that describe the properties and behavior of their instances. For example, a GUI's window class might declare that windows have properties such as the label, the position and whether the window is visible or not.

The class might also declare that instances support operations such as opening, closing, moving and hiding. Each particular window object would have its own values of those properties, and each of them would be able to perform operations defined by its class.

A Smalltalk object can do exactly three things:

>Hold state

>Receive a message from itself or another object.

>send messages to itself or another object

Hell yeah it did. This is Ruby's "magic."

Everything from Rails to Capistrano uses this kind of metaprogramming, which it takes from Lisp. It makes it really fun to use.

Another example, an Rspec unit test for Rails:
it "doesn't save the user without a name" do
user.name = nil
user.save.should be_false
end

Ruby also has a friendly and lively community, and lets you play with a lot of functional concepts.

Rust won on Stackoverflow
It's the most loved language.

You and me bro. You and me.

Haskell the master race

>What's the most enjoyable programming language to use?
The one you know the most.

Dealing with unknowns is not enjoyable. We've got to keep learning all the time and getting better, but it's a chore.

Making things that you know how to make and not having shit get in your way. That's really liberating and refreshing.

>ctrl+f ook
>no mention of Ook!

esolangs.org/wiki/Ook!

unironically perl 6

Perl6 is comfy. I wish the grammars had better error handling than just returning nil though.

c++ coupled with lua is fun for bigger projects, but i mostly stick to python for quick and dirty projects

How do I learn to Program?
How do I learn to program in Ruby?

Python fails loudly and can be actually multithreaded.

>muh multithreaded
Asynchrony is much better than threads for dictating control flow. If you need threads for muh performance, you shouldn't be using fucking python in the first place.

C++. But I am also dead inside.

rc.cat-v.org/

Prolog

Python has an excellent asynchronous model -> asyncio

golang

I’m doing Swift and NodeJS full-time but do miss Python a lot tbqfh senpai.

>le python 3 meme

There is no reason to ever program in anything other than this.

Javascript/HTML/PHP (frontend and backend)

>run in any browser
>debugging tool included in browser
>rapid prototyping

Without a doubt, R is the best

Python cause it just werx

Cobol

Same, it's nice to have an opinionated language that I agree with

>fortran
>infinite lookahead to be unambiguously parsed

Kotlin.

C

That's not a programming language you dipshit.

Maybe you meant MIPS assembly.

This.
Shit on it as much as you want, no other language combines high-level constructs with excellent performance.

After several years of regular use, Go has really earned its place as my default choice for new projects. I really enjoy it.

scala, es6/react is also fun to write in too but i guess that's more functional languages in general.

D

This

Python is basically English

so, basically Javascript won (typescrpt/javascript) is in 2 categories instead of one

>look at me, I'm so smart for being able to split hairs and act like a nigger!
Jump into a volcano from outside the atmosphere, braindead faggot.

Nim

This measures how the language was rated, not a poll where users picked between them.

Do you think those numbers add up to ~100%, user?

What is the most qt programming language?

It used to be C++ for me but I've spent long enough away from it that now it's probably Python.

I'll pick one of Go, Rust, Ruby and Haskell to experiment with though. Haskell might be a good idea since I'm working through the Project Euler problems and some user ITT said it meshes well with mathematics?

Prolog with an ML type system (plus Haskell-like type classes) and formal parameter modes can be actual fun. (Also gets bonus points for a decent Ada-like module system.)

I work with Fortran and it's surprisingly comfy. It's like a cross between C and Matlab.

Haskell's syntax is meant to be as similar as possible to mathematical notation, and you'll definitely run into a lot of category theory.
It's a super fun language if you're a math nerd, and it's great for Project Euler-style problems.
I'd recommend the book Learn You a Haskell for Great Good. It's available freely online and is entertaining.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that out.

C# unironically

What's the best way to get into programming? As in starting from zero, knowing absolutely nothing about programming.

k&r

perl not even on that list, and barely itt

I'm sensing contrarian potential here

This

Zsh and awk