5 points 0 comments
"Low quality politicial bait" posted 30 minutes ago
927 points 320 comments

"How Node.js might help take down Trump"

taxation is theft

THIS MY SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN THIS

Literally Sup Forums

2 years ago both HN and Sup Forums weren't as shite as they are now
Both have become r/technology incarnate, one with centrist and one with right wing ideals
How do we fix this?

Lmfao

Some big hecker needs to hit reddit off the internet

Have mods delete shit threads like this one.
Burn everything and start over.
There was a thread yesterday (mods autosaged it at around 100 replies) where people suggested splitting Sup Forums into consumer technology and computer science stuff.
If that happened and both boards were initially heavily moderated I think we could set and keep a good standard for a few years.
The split isn't as important as basically just starting over.

Reddit used to be HN with a white and blue colourscheme, then they opened it up to normies. Now it has killed most traditional forums for niche hobbies/interests. Why is no one complaining about Reddit killing the open web?

op just wants to farm karma on HN by posting this there. sage in all fields

Have you been on Sup Forums lately? Mods can't do shite, threads like this one can last for hours before anything is done about it

That's why I suggested it, because it's not happening.

ayy lmao

Actually let me clarify that.
I suggested that mods should delete threads like this one, because it's not currently happening.
Maybe you were saying that mods wouldn't be able to "heavily moderate" the new boards.

how collective wisdom of the communist party can improve morale in an inclusive workplace

How do we make tech more inclusive for women and transgenders?

I've been desperatley trying to fitler the shitpost threads but it's too hard. How can I stop this?

>be me, hacker news commenter
>see a post about a new programming language. Good thing I learn every new language.
>optimizing compilers. I write one practically every weekend.
> computer graphics theory. yup.
> math proof. wasn't written in latex, I already know its false.
>a programming book. already read it.
>Article says CEO made a mistake. He should have listened to me.
>see a post about banking. good thing I'm an expert on macroeconomics.
>see a post about cancer. dust off my medical degree to contribute.
>global warming. I do a little temperature monitoring on the side.

I love that site. Also DAE think this projects front end sucks? Also when are we going to make unit tests for laws?

> [dead][flagged]

post all the things you've been shadowbanned for then

>misgendered the ruby tranny
>made a joke about muslims being pedophiles

I have a job

Activate your fucking windows copy user.

1. Hokey Psuedoinspiring New York Times Article : Autistic Boy's Startup Makes Prosthetics for DRONE'D Syrian Quadriplegics

Unfortunately only heavy moderation can limit the shitposts here. You have to decide would you give up your freeze peaches for a Sup Forums with better discussion? Yet at the same time these moderators have the power to decide exactly what they want to show us and don't want to show us.

"why there is a shortage of women in tech and how Tyrones BBC is going to change that"

S N A P P Y
N
A
P
P
Y

[dupe]

[flag]

lol

If that happened the cs Sup Forums would become as dead as /po/

I just looked at right now
>That fucking creation date

This is underrated. No matter how esoteric the topic, an expert arises to discuss it.

This time right now is about the slowest Sup Forums ever gets and it's still getting 600 posts per hour.

Perhaps if some of you anons took a moment to think about this situation, you would realize the insignificance of your cries.

>Sup Forums is shit now
>reddit is shit now
>HN is shit now
>slashdot is shit now
>forum X is shit now

The reason all of these websites (the www) have become shit is simply because the barriers of entry to the internet have been demolished. No longer do you need to be interested in technology or a nerd to use the internet and post on it. This has resulted in the worsening of ALL forums when compared to how they were pre 2007 (in some cases even earlier).

There is no simple way to "fix" this problem; it's not something that can be changed by adding boards or increasing moderation. It's an issue with the userbase, not of this site or any other specific site, but of the internet as a whole. Want the glory days back? Switch to a site hosted on tor or i2p or one of many other protocols that never really took off. The problem with these sites and protocols is that they don't have enough users to recreate what was so fun about the internet in its infancy.

Personally I think separating Sup Forums from any political stance will benefit it greatly. Now whether or not deleting Sup Forums is the way to go about that is debatable, but I think virtually everyone will agree that the media attention in the past couple of years has been an invitation for tons of people (who we don't want) to join us here.

So basically you're saying that we should have hackforums challenges on websites?
NjggNzQgNzQgNzAgNzMgM2EgMmYgMmYgNzcgNzcgNzcgMmUgNzkgNmYgNzUgNzQgNzUgNjIgNjUgMmUgNjMgNmYgNmQgMmYgNzcgNjEgNzQgNjMgNjggM2YgNzYgM2QgMzYgMzMgNzEgNzQgNTkgNjkgMzEgNmUgNzcgNjMgNzM=

>So basically you're saying that we should have hackforums challenges on websites?
gatekeeping is not the solution. gatekeeping is cancer. the issue is that the internet used to be a place where you could explore, but there's nothing to explore anymore, it's stuff we've already seen. it would have to be something completely different. Like if AR/VR exploded like the internet did

>it's not something that can be changed by ... increasing moderation
That's not true, you can moderate your website into being a great community if you only let people you like in and ban those who you don't like.

There are groups like this all over the internet, but you aren't going to find them because the communities orders of magnitude too small to show up on a ranking algorithm and usually closed to outsiders.

This.

>There are groups like this all over the internet
what if I want a forum that isn't comprised of just 50 people but still isn't infested with normalfags?

Is there anything like that?

>great community
>pandering hugbox

The catalog system certainly helped slow Sup Forums down and help it form generals; there simply isn't a sense of urgency now. Whether this is good or bad is debatable; as is whether the general quality of posts has gone down. What I can say for certain however is that the subject matter of Sup Forums is evolving. Back then the most political Sup Forums would get would either be the GNU fanatics or SOPA/PIPA/etc. For those of you complaining about the politicization of everything; do your part and refrain from talking about those topics unless it is absolutely necessary.

I've noticed that gatekeeping helps maintain the quality of the userbase. Take Facebook, one of the largest websites and easily accessible to normies. The average user isn't going to contribute alot due to the lack of interest mentioned and the fact that there are so many users. On the other hand you got exclusive invite only websites (e.g. private trackers) where there is a strict method of pruning and maintaining an active, yet small userbase. Every user has to be a high quality contributor, and the website thrives as a result.

We don't even have to go that far too. If you go on Reddit, notice that the small subreddits are usually the ones with high quality posts. Back when Reddit had defaults, it was generally advised to unsub from the default subs to dramatically improve the Reddit experience.

>The catalog system certainly helped slow Sup Forums down and help it form generals
I meant this time of day.
Point was that Sup Forums is a fairly fast board compared to some.

Sup Forums adopted generals out of desperation.

Forgot to add; because the entire internet has basically experienced eternal September, the best way to keep your browsing/posting experience meaningful would be to filter out any noise. There are many ways to do this; Sup Forums has some built in. Complaining about the users won't really help when the internet is used by everyone.

Just like visit niche chans and forumns.

They're great, but generally the only problem with them is that the more niche the website gets, the slower the discussion/there is less content. I wasn't around in the days of newsgroups and BBSes, what was it like back then? Is the experience similar to said niche chans/forums?

[Ask HN] Why did Steve Jobs ban flash from Apple devices?

I saw a guy wearing
>pic related

at my work today. Almost want to buy one.

Please calm down and refer to the rules. Discussions and disagreements are fine, but shouting profanities because you don't like the content of a post isn't constructive and violates the rules.

>taxation is theft
>but I'm totally ok with rampant un-necessary consumerism

Great post!
That's exactly the Point.

People don't like changes, they like Habits. But fact of the matter life is about constant changes. As soon as a Website has become "popular" it's time to move on to greener grass.

We could also say that it's about stages of personal development. We all start as newbies on this planet and you don't miraculously turn into a super underground Scene guy over night. It's about growing, getting new influences and then looking for the next Level.

If you think you can always stay a Special snowflake you're wrong. You gotta move faster than the masses. The more difficult/exotic the Technologies, the more interesting People you will meet.

This is bullshit, though.

Games like Nethack or DwarfFortress will never become popular. It's just like some ideas are great to get adopted by the masses and some are not.

>MY FUCKING SIDES RIGHT NOW

>right wing ideals
>"HURR I LOVE TRAP WAIFUS WITH MASSIVE COCKS AND CUTE BOYS THAT WEAR PROGRAMMING SOCKS CHINGU CHONGU I LABBU CHINK WAIFUS"
Doesn't sound very right wing to me

idk, I only browse reddit

>Every user has to be a high quality contributor
kek

That's actually pretty interesting, user. Thank u senpai.

This describes Sup Forums 100 times better than HN. HN has tons of soft filters for political content. Or even anything remotely controversial. It's not banned outright. But if your post gets too many comments too quickly, or even 2 people flag it, it basically gets dropped off of the front page.

I approve of some filter for that stuff, but it's really annoying when a post I find interesting gets too many comments and disappears.

That creates the side effect of only certain thought is allowed and idiots who can't or don't have an original thought just parrot shitposts because it's the "expected thought you're supposed to have". Look what happened to Sup Forums, do you seriously want people who can only parrot opinions or just shitpost to be the web in general?

Because the forums they killed were shit. See this link: [You must buy an account to view this hyperlink.]

-------

There are 2 kinds of people in the world something something signature something signature.

Naive Bayesian filtering might work on something like this. Something I've been meaning to try for awhile.

I see filters as futile because a dedicated shitposter will try his hardest to get around it, often not specifically mentioning the software that the filters are looking to filter.

I would include the comments in the filter. Sure the OP might be vague, but the comments it gets are going to be predictable and filterable.