/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread reached bump limit:
I've posted in one of these before, and seem to have fixed some of it, but can anyone help me deduce how to stop getting this pop-up?
It shows up at seemingly random intervals and occasionally gets in the way of shit I'm in the middle of doing.

pic related: the pop-up in question, and the text that comes up when I click "Details."

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
pastebin.com/LBsc7wqt
alrincon.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=44149&sid=03096b6ac13b93d4c77f61f57040bc56
amazon.com/VectoTech-Rapid-128GB-External-Portable/dp/B01JKMZ70G/ref=zg_bs_3015429011_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E39K59YJJSVVJW51B1XD
rsload.net/soft/manager/16630-bulk-image-downloader.html)
alibaba.com/product-detail/Aluminium-Roof-Insulation-Foil-Double-side_60177714324.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.12.67dff882wk9I47
osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm a complete fucking newbie to computers despite spending my time on it 24/7 shitposting and playing old 16-bit games.

I've had this shitty N5050 laptop for half a decade now and have decided to look for a new computer.
A colleague is selling one of his hand built desktops, however he has not given me a price.

How would I figure out the value of this computer?

Compare it to what's on newegg or slickdeals. It's a decent basic build, but it's not going to excel at anything. You're not getting a gaming/editing powerhouse there. I also question the necessity of the blu ray and sound card. And you need to figure out your OS and monitor.

Is TP-LINK stuff bad? I got a router and a couple network cards from them a while back because they had good reviews and were cheap, but somebody elsewhere recently described them as being "builder grade" which my dad always told me to avoid.

>newegg/slickdeals
I'll start checking.
>You're not getting a gaming/editing powerhouse
There is always the potential to upgrade the pieces correct?
>OS
Isn't Linux free? I believe all the applications I need work there.
>monitor
I need one haha.
Thank you.

What the fuck is going on with my explorer and how do I fix it? whenever I right-click to open the contextmenu on a file or desktop etc. 90% of the time pic related appears instead of the actual items, icons or any text - I have to multiple times rightclick for it to appear normal, also the explorer locationbox float lefts the whole breadcrum menu often, is it a graphics driver issue or is it some win10 issue? it started happening I think some while ago when it didnt shutdown and I had to force shutdown it - how do I fix that?

please help anons, I don't know what to even google anymore

Should I start with c or c++?

That's not really a build you would upgrade. You're not going to find a processor that is worth the price difference that fits that board. The power supply is too limited to support much of a GPU upgrade, which would probably bottleneck the CPU anyway. If you want more power, spend more on the initial build.

Yeah fuck it, I'm just building my own. Is 600$ a good amount for a computer?
I just want to play some Overwatch decently and maybe try making some low-polygon 3D models for a game I may or may not make.

Overwatch is probably about the upper limits with what you could do with that build

tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

You get more bang for your buck as you creep toward the magical $1000 price point, but $600 should be pretty doable. The problem with building your own is that memory and GPUs are at record high prices right now. You'd probably be better off watching slickdeals for the next good deal on a prebuilt, unless you're actively planning on overclocking. If you find one with like a 500w psu, you can buy a GPU later. They tend to have decent deals around black friday.

Posted about my laptop wifi in the last thrread. Here's the MTR.
pastebin.com/LBsc7wqt

Thank you tremendously user.

Guys, how can I download in bulk several images in a forum post? Thing is, they are thumbnails, and redirect to the actual high res images hosted in imgchilli.net

This is what I'm talking about (NSFW) alrincon.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=44149&sid=03096b6ac13b93d4c77f61f57040bc56

I'd normally say wget or some browser addon, but I see these link to some pile-o-shit image host that makes you click through ads, so good luck with that.

I bought a used GPU and it arrived covered in so much dust it might as well have been buried and theres traces of what I assume is soda on it. I've cleaned 90% of it, but the sticky stuff is inside the fan. Running the fan under water and rubbing alcohol only does so much. I don't see how I can take apart the fan to more thoroughly clean it. Does it just pull apart? I don't see any screws holding it together.

Reposting
My mouse will occasionally disconnect and reconnect, maybe once or twice everyday. Sometimes it will disconnect, and my keyboard will also disconnect, and they will just have their indication leds flash on and off but otherwise be completely inoperable for extended periods. This is in Windows 7, I tried booting in knoppix and it appears to only happen in Windows, but I dont know how to replicate the disconnect as it appears the disconnects happen randomly.

If I disconnect all my usb devices then wait a long time before reconnecting the mouse and kb, sometimes it will work again. I tried fresh Windows install but issue still persists. Is my mobo dying or something?

All usb ports, even the front, and I bought a pci-e usb3 hub to test as well and both stop working

I forgot to mention that I already switched that option off but the problem still persists.

Thanks for the responses.

What's the best VPN you guys can recommend that has good servers in JPN/ good for torrenting? I've tried Ibvpn once and their service was pretty spotty.

>I bought a used GPU and it arrived covered in so much dust it might as well have been buried and theres traces of what I assume is soda on it. I've cleaned 90% of it, but the sticky stuff is inside the fan.
Sounds like you got gypped. Can you return it?

>Running the fan under water and rubbing alcohol only does so much. I don't see how I can take apart the fan to more thoroughly clean it.
You may have fucked up now.

>Does it just pull apart? I don't see any screws holding it together.
With many fans you can just pop the rotor assembly off and clean it. Just remember to re-grease the axle before putting it back. Though if you've been putting water in it without taking it apart it may simply be fucked.

Would a Raspberry Pi be good for watching older TV shows (basically an offline Netflix/Roku alternative)? I'm thinking about using one for an older CRT TV and having them run in a playlist from a USB flash drive via VLC or a similar program.

Trying to get nagging family off my ass.
Mom has a Iphone 5S with up to date IOS.

There is a bug when using siri with the phone locked, if you say "google buttplugs" it will pop up the result but then send you to the unlock keypad after 1 second and lose the search result after unlocking it.

Is there a work around?

Are there any downsides to 1440p? I have only ever had 1080p displays my whole life so I know nothing about other resolutions.

I hear 1080p video looks bad such displays, is that true?

I need a new monitor and was looking to make the leap.

HOW THE FUCK DO I FIX THIS?

AHHHHHHHH IT'S NOT WORKING >:(

The code I wrote in intermediate-level Racket isn't meeting the check-expect that I gave.

How can I fix it?

Is this a good deal?
amazon.com/VectoTech-Rapid-128GB-External-Portable/dp/B01JKMZ70G/ref=zg_bs_3015429011_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E39K59YJJSVVJW51B1XD

I am gonna use it to install a linux distro into my computer, and to back up all the files from my previous computer.

no

get the 80-90 dollar sandisk one thats like 240 gb

help me

Should I get a 2017 Surface Pro i5? I'm pretty sure I cannot afford one but I really really really extra extra extra super super super ultra ultra ultra want one.

It's finally the one mobile device I've wanted since smartphones/tablets were first announced. I've never cared for having a mobile phone or a tablet and always thought those devices were overrated, especially since I only use my phone to browse the web in bed or on the toilet. And phones are a pain in the ass to do any kind of heavy art on since they're so small and limited to mobile apps. But something like the Surface Pro, it's the perfect device in my eyes since I can treat it like a tablet, a laptop, or a sketchpad, and it's still small enough to take to bed or set up on the bathroom sink as I'm taking a dump. But it's way too expensive.

Thank you! I would love to help you, but I am not familiar with that language.

uBlock does this freeze thing when I try to update 3rd party filters. Blue bar won't go across.

Also, do I just tick every box for filters?

I see there are a lot of bitcoin wallets and miner programs but which one should i choose?

Sure, as long as you know what you're getting into.
>can't take apart without destroying
>up upgrading, even the RAM or SSD
Apart from being essentially a disposable device, it is a very nice tablet.

Posting *all* the code. Especially, the iterated library is pretty important.

Is there any way to disable access to safe mode in Icecat?

How to solve this problem?

If you require regular security updates I'll only recommend Netgear.

TP-Link is like Xiaomi. They have the cheap products in every possible segment, and sell a lot as a result.

is there tutorial for running ubuntu on windows7 with qemu.
i have tried google but there are not any?

>do I just tick every box for filters?
God no. Just leave it alone unless you've got a reason to add something. The default is pretty good.

Could be a networking issue or a conflict with other addons.

I have an xps laptop that has it's usual charging port snapped, so it can take power but will not charge the battery. It has a thunderbolt 3 port on the side, I want to know if I can use that as a charger for my battery using an apple usb3 charger?

If I'm understanding this amazing infographic just plug in the white and yellow only
the sound will just only be in mono

Can you still delid Intel processors using the vice-only method or not? I did it once with success on Ivy Bridge, but I hear newer Intel CPU's have a thinner PCB?

This throttling is pissing me off big time.

You have video (yellow) and stereo audio (red+white). You want to plug it into a device with video (yellow) and mono audio (white). Plug in the video plus whichever channel of the audio you like.

Is there a simple way to enable page navigation on youtube channels? It's so fucking annoying scrolling through a lengthy list only to accidentally click on one of the vids without Ctrl being fully pressed. Killing me.

I'm not banned, but I can't seem to make new threads. It keeps telling me I inputted the captcha wrong when I didnt

Turns out my CPU has been running too hot for over a year now (using stock cooler), but it hasn't gotten really bad until a few months ago. How badly have I fucked things up? Is it worth buying a fan to try and see if it alleviates any problems, or just scrap the whole thing?

Is there a way to check cracked software for malware without getting false positives?
I found this image ripper on some russian site, the crack itself is posted anonymously in the comments section; it looks really suspicious but it sort of works (rsload.net/soft/manager/16630-bulk-image-downloader.html)
Are there any alternatives to BID besides DownThemAll? I only need it to DL some galleries on flickr and ImageFap

1060 or 1070 for 1280x1024 gaymen?

>has been running too hot for over a year now
What CPU and how hot is 'too hot'?

no

I ordered a chinkshit phone that claimed to have 64 GB of storage, it doesn't. It uses hacked firmware or something, how do I find the real capacity?

Just fill it with 1GB files and see how much of those files the phone can fit

Just get more fan. If it ain't dead yet it should be fine.

So, I got 2 AG271QX monitors and 1 korean Qnix monitor. They all go to 96hz refresh rate, however nVidia Surround only lets 60hz refresh rate. Are there any fixes for that?

i5 4440, it's running 80-90 C at load but has never shut down on me. It gets especially bad when gaming. I've been playing for a few hours a day the past month, but the past year before that I've been playing only occasionally like one or two prolonged sessions on weekends only

I will.

>it's running near 90 C at load
Not an issue, tjmax on Haswell is 105C. Temperatures in the 80's are totally fine, temperatures in the 90's are also fine but if it's getting that hot it might be best to monitor it with an overlay to check it isn't hitting tjmax and downclocking. If it is get a cheap aftermarket cooler.

No sound whatsoever if I plug only one audio cable

Splice three cables onto the same plug then plug that in. That should amp it up enough.

Is there any better budget option for a Kodi box than the odroid C2 that will give me similar performance?

Raspberry Pi 3 is usually cheaper, although as you say the odroid has better performance and better cooling
My Kodi works fine on a RPI3 though

My firefox RAM usage keeps going from 2000 MB to 2300 MB over the span of 6 seconds and I'm not actively using it. Everything I attempt has a 2-4 second response delay. Fuck it, I won't even ask. Fuck you firefox. Every time I come back to you this happens. Fuck you firefox. Fuck you. It's over for real.

Try jdownloader

Whats the best (that's still cheap) way of playing music from my 6th generation ipod classic WIRELESSLY through my stereo? Thanks

Use your phone lol.

if it has bluetooth use one of those logitech bluetooth wireless adapters

I am not that retarded

I don't know if iPods have bluetooth but I use a bt receiver/transmitter combo from taotronics. Was like 30 dollars on amazon.

how can i safely avoid detection on the internet?

unplug your modem, remove the battery from your phone, wrap your house in aluminium foil

>wrap your house in aluminium foil
Uh, where am I going to get that much foil? Can I just use chrome spray paint?

Then something's busted, or your output isn't an output, or you've got the channel wrong on your input device. Plugging in just the white and yellow should definitely give you signal, just not the sounds pumped exclusively through the right stereo feed (and even that wouldn't matter if your outputting device was in mono mode)

Try it without any pluggins.

Nah, firefox SprayPaint is better.

>Uh, where am I going to get that much foil?
alibaba.com/product-detail/Aluminium-Roof-Insulation-Foil-Double-side_60177714324.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.12.67dff882wk9I47
It's double sided motherfucker

I just checked, the mono audio output port (above the single white port) works.

I connected it with the aux in of a DVD player and got TV sound.
Can't understand the problem with white audio input port. Even the video port on its left works properly.

For the record, left pic is STB box and right is CRT TV

How to disable touch screen on weyland?

Could be a digital audio input, although I haven't seen those before on a CRT TV before. Digital audio uses the same connector as analog audio. Doesn't the CRT TV have any other audio inputs, like 3.5mm, SCART or S-VIDEO? All those inputs are analog and converter cables can be used for this purpose.

I mean you could because it has a dedicated h264 chip but it's still gonna be garbage to play/pause/scrub

Then it's just down to testing the stupid shit. Try a different cable (the colors are interchangeable as long as you keep them straight), connect the STB to something else to make sure it's outputting (disconnect any coaxial outputs while you're testing), and make sure your Tv is not on mute. It's conceivable that the white port is just busted on the tv, but that would be pretty unusual.

I use a RPI 3 for watching all kinds of pirated series, works just fine
use Kodi though, as Linux + VLC player on Ubuntu usually lags where Kodi does not

Pretty sure it is not digital audio as this TV is around 12-15 years old (LG Joymax)
No other inputs apart from those in pic.

>CRT with Single Channel audio
>Thinks it has an AUX in
>Thinks S-Video carries sound

>No other inputs apart from those in pic.
not even on the side of the TV? what a piece of shit

Well the STB is outputting as the current setup is I use TV for the video and a DVD player for audio.
Out of three cables from STB, yellow goes to TV and red + white go to DVD player which has AUX in ports.

I too think the audio input port on TV is borked.

welp, my bad, time to kill myself
these old crt's really tick me off

Yup piece of shit that's for sure.

Pic is all the ports in total.

Help please

my USB pen drive got corrupted when formating now it doesn't work
on listdisk it shows no media size 0b free 0b
can't format it, can't create partition

What do?

Well you know flash drives can get corrupted, as in the actual memory chip gets corrupted. No software can fix that.

I see a screw there, can you unscrew it and open it up to see if there's a cable that came loose from it's connector?

try it in loonix, if that doesn't work buy a new one

Alright I'll try that later.

Ay Lamao signing off...

If you have any coaxial adapters you can hook up to that port on the left.

osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

That port can carry audio + video right?
Like if I can find a way to combine that three cables into one.

Yeah. There's fairly cheap adapters that will do it, or if you have a VCR or older DVD player. Just remember to try channels 3 and 4 on your Tv.

C.

Shamelessly self-bumping.

I have to complete a captcha like 6 fucking times before it will let me post
THe fuck is going on, im on private browsing and already cleared my cookies and shit earlier

how can root xiaomi redmi note 3

Can I use a PCIe x1 to x16 adapter (whatever the fuck this shit is called) to connect a 750ti to my at board and use it as a dedicated gpu for virtual box pci passthrough?

My board (b350m-a) only has 1 pcie x16 slot which is taken by an rx480 and I want dual gpu for my vritualbox setup and need to know if that miner shit will do it

Secondly and less important
Is it possible my rx480 fucked up my x16 slot by chance? I've been having some weird shit going on where it suddenly disconnects the gpu and reconnects. Same is happening on my 750ti in the same slot but much less severe (more frequent though)

Any help would be lovely because I'm at the point where I'm losing my goddamn mind here

Have you considered getting a Sup Forums™ Pass™?

What is this amazing product?
Enlighten me user

Follow-up

As retarded as it is, my monitors are dvi only, I have dvi-hdmi cables for each, both of which run into my rx480 (strix shit has 2hdmi ports). If I got 2 display port (male) HDMI (female) adapters, could I potentially see any issues
I want to give display port a shot but the whole disconnecting randomly is holding me back here