/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

What's the second worst headphone in existence after the HD600?

Reepost because racecar

M50s

What pads go well with M40x's?

how are those sony's?

and shit thread. someone else please make a new one with anime feet. thank you

brainwavz hm5 pads

What are my alternatives to an objective-2 headphone amp? Any reason to opt for them over it?

>tube amp

you just missed out on $60 magni 2s from amazon, schiit sent them off to amazon for discounted sales because of the magni 3 release.

just get a magni 3 it's basically a $99 magni 2 uber

>Ordered some different comply tips for my IEMS (MEE P1)
>not as good as the triple flange silicone tips

How does /hpg/ clean out their ears?

My boyfriends cum

How many of them do?

The lord thy god in heaven hath given me his blessing to lead ye wretched sinners away from the ignorant lies and injustice of these cursed blasphemers so that you need not languish in torment for hearing the foul cacophanies of your heathen 'phones.

I'm here to tell you boys that the way out of the bottle is clear, and that the true path into righteousness and eternal life points to itself. And that truth, o' my blessed brothers, is the new Sennheiser HD660S. Now go, go and thank the mighty father who sheds the blood of his only son that you might be shown his mercy for gifting thee with such a majestic and awesome way to receive his rapture.

amen

>less neutral than hd600 and hd650

this is marked to numales who post on /r/headphones

theyre gonna keep making the 650 and 600s just for you!

neutrality is a trait that is loved overwhelmingly by nu-males

Real old-school manly men who work 40 hours a week to provide for their families prefer bassy cans like Beats by Dre.

The XB1000's sound super similar to the X2's actually, but I'm keeping them just since they're so unique

>The MYSHPERE 3.1 ($4000)
AHAHAHAHAHA WHO DO THESE FOOLS THINK THEY ARE? THE K1000 WERE ALREADY GARBAGE FOR THE PRICE BUT THIS IS A NEW LOW

I bought my first premium set of headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT 880's, and then bought the popular E10K Olympus 2 to go with it as my DAC/Amp. But my E10K came in today and I'm reading in the manual that the "Suitable headphone impedance" rate is 16-150ohms. The impedance rate of my 880 is 250ohms, does this mean I messed up and need another DAC/amp? I'm confused with the whole pairing headphones to an amp thing.

No, you're just fine

Can one of you fine lads tell me how easy it is to blow out a pair of MDR-7506s? I like my audio pretty loud and I'm worried they wouldn't be able to handle it without distorting or blowing out. I blow through twenty earbuds a year like a retard so I'm hoping getting some quality headphones is a wise choice.

What's a good upgrade to M40x's? I'm sensitive to highs, but I like a more neutral sound

you'll blow your eardrums out soon enough

for portables: oppo pm3, nad hp50, H6

thoughts on the el-8? open/closed?

haven't used them. but i've heard they are definitely overpriced at msrp, offering similar (worse) sound quality to cheaper open/closed backs. I've also heard el-8 closed has good isolation/virtually no sound leak. But even if you can find a good deal, you're still better off getting he400i or 600s

Anyone tried the ZMF Atticus? I hear good things about it as an upgrade to THX00, E-Mu. Wondering how comfy it is.

Let me guess, neutrality = accuracy?

anyone get the mrspeakers aeon closed?
likem?

yep

need an HD600 edit of this

Cept the E10k is a dark and muddy pos

>amp/dac
dark and muddy

jejejejejjejejejejej

prove it buddy

inb4 reddit spacing

Post your headphones.

are people STILL falling for the snappmonkey headphones? get it together Sup Forums

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

reminder to report shitposters like

t. basslet

What's with that slider? Did Beyer fixed/relaced the original slider?

What are the darkest headphones? I don't necessarily want boomy bass.

lcd-2

OP you add literally nothing to /hpg/. you have no right to be here, all you do is shitpost and lie to get attention. you refuse to even post your setup like the nu-male that you are. prove me wrong, pic related.

shame on the rest of you for not calling OP out for his faggotry.

All he does is shitpost to try to chase people with opinions he doesn't like away, when what he should really be doing is posting his headphones to prove that his opinions are credible.

To be fair i don't even think he really dislikes the MA900 or anything, it's just another target for shitposting, i bet if another headphone starts getting positive attention he will be quick to shitpost about it.

just say something negative about the HD600 to divert his attention by triggering him

Hi friends. Are there any other 900 owners here?

meh, i don't really really have a problem with the HD600 either, my friend has one, sounds pretty nice imho.

You think we're going to fall for that? Post your headphones.

>To be fair i don't even think he really dislikes the MA900 or anything
he can't resist the bait and exposes him for the troll that he is
the attention just makes it even more how much of a tool he really is
my buddy just bought one, maybe I'll tell him to post here as well to trigger OP further

How's the MA900 compared to the LCD2?

HD650

>to deal with the shitposter, shitpost
>that'll fix the thread

they do different things better. ma900 shits on it for soundstage while the lcd-2 is obviously planar bass. ma900 gets more headtime, I'm considering getting rid of the lcd-2 but I'm a weirdo and a strong clamp with lambskin pads is kinda my fetish. feels like titties pressed against your ears

There's a pair of them on ebay for 200 bucks, was considering getting them. How are detail and separation (after EQ, preferably if you use EQ)?

>There's a pair of them on ebay for 200 bucks
do it, there was two and my friend bought the other one
>How are detail and separation (after EQ, preferably if you use EQ)?
I don't pay attention to separation really. detail is a strange question because with the ma900 it's more like it has an accurate stage and that brings to attention details you wouldn't have cared much about before. you'll be watching a movie and then you hear a car engine in the background and it sounds realistic as it passes by. with other headphones you wouldn't give much thought to it but with the ma900 you're like "woah, that sounds incredibly lifelike".

If you punked me I'm going to backtrace your ass and hunt you down nigga.

pls no cyber police.

The MA900 are so comfortable I've literally forgotten I'm wearing them, and their soundstage and openness can make them sound so natural and lifelike that, while forgetting I'm wearing them, my PC will suddenly output audio and I'll briefly check my speakers to make sure they're off before realizing it was coming out of my MA900. I shit thee not, this has happened.

what do you own though?
>I'll briefly check my speakers to make sure they're off before realizing it was coming out of my MA900.
this happens to me too. my phone is 10 feet away across the room, I'll be watching a youtube video where the person's phone goes off and I'll get confused it sounds like it's coming from my phone. I've had that had that happen with IEMs and a few feet away but that's just straight up not normal to sound like it's coming 10-15 feet away

So, what AKG Vienna being closed actually means in terms of headphones? Is pic related going out of production?

What are the best noise cancelling headphones? I live in Chinkland where endless renovations go on because chinks are fucking morons that always need to renovate before moving in for whatever fucking reason. I can't even hear myself think right now.

QC35

Are they actually effective? I've never tried noise cancelling headphones. I don't want to spend $300 on a meme.

i'm the maki user, so elear, LCD-2, HD600, K701, WH1000XM2 (recently sold PM-3 and 400i)

shit's barely changed since the original K701. K812 was a bust. no point in going further. JBL has all the high tech digital audio headphone wizardry right now.

When I tried them in Best Buy a loud, noisy store turned into eerie complete silence. The sound/music quality was much better than I expected, too. The sound is bassy but not annoyingly so and the overall frequency response sounded quite smooth without any big peaks or valleys. They sounded quite natural and simply "right" sounding based on my brief listen to them. I'd buy a pair if I had a need for them but I don't. They're really comfortable too. I expected to hate them and ended up liking them a lot.
Innerfidelity measures isolation and they demonstrably block out a ton of noise on InnerFidelity's measurement.

Also remember Samsung just bought out Harman. Expect more wireless and digital audio stuff and less old analog audio crap.

I didn't know you had an lcd-2. is that recent?

Alright, I guess I don't have a choice. I'm skeptical whether or not they'll be effective against what feels like a fucking jackhammer in my ear.

Etymotic IEMs will passively block out just as much noise for under $100, but won't be as comfortable. Etymotic MK5 are extremely accurate/neutral IEMs.

I definitely don't want IEMs. Shit gets uncomfortable after an hour.

I've had it for two or three months now. That and the Elear are my daily driver.

if you get the ma900 I would highly recommend you sell the akg and the hd600 for a purpleheart for dat epic bass. you already have an elear + lcd2, the ma900 covers soundstage so the only thing you're missing out on is the crazy slam that closed back biocel can deliver

no?
feels bad man

As a matter of fact I just ordered the x00 today as well, although in ebony cause they just look amazing (and I know my bass tolerances don't go as high as the purplehearts or mahogany). I'm keeping the 600s and 701s for sentimental value.

I like you user. I have the teak which I believe is close to the ebony. they are sick shit. stock pads are horribad, a dekoni attenuator + angled pads will add some width and fix the comfort

I've never been one to be too picky on comfort (I find the LCDs comfortable), although the width change interests me. Is it dramatic or subtle?

>I find the LCDs comfortable
me too, but the stock fostex pads are one of the more meh pads I've encountered. worst was the t50rp
>it dramatic or subtle
in between. nothing too crazy, smooths out the sound a bit. gets pretty shrill without the attenuator which keeps the stock sound. i've been meaning to put audeze microsuede pads on but I haven't gotten around to it

I think I'll get the attenuator and see how the stock pads go. The attenuator should have the same effect with stock pads, no?

no, the stock pads already have one, which is why you need one if you use other pads. You don't need the attenuator if you're just using stock. I made mine out of a ps2 case, a normal cd case was too think and the bass was ridiculous. Also be mindful of the ma900, it has large cups like the hd800 so it matters where you place them on your ears, there's a sweetspot to them

I'm used to that, the Elears are also super fucking sensitive to position. I have angled sheepskins coming in the mail, not for any particular pair of headphones, you think those would work for the x00? I'll probably get an attenuator printed cause I got access to free 3D prints.

>you think those would work for the x00?
the angled brainwavz lambskin? I have a few pairs of those, the memory foam on all the hm5 pads are too stiff for the fostex. They'll be fine but since you've got an lcd-2 you'll get frustrated by the lack of clamp. I've bent mine crazy like that hd598 gif but it still didn't improve the clamp. I ended up settlng on nvx angled pads for $20 for now, and I'm assuming the audeze vegan pads will be the best so that's next. I'd bet those black vegans would look pretty good on the ebony ;)

Is there a similar thread, only for microphones?

I have an abnormally large head, so I'm not too worried about clamp. 4 clicks from max in HD600, max out LCD2 and elear. The last two are polar opposites in terms of clamp, and I'm pretty okay with it.

So HD600 > HD650 > HD660S.

yeah don't get me wrong they'll be fine. I'm just super OCD and prefer a strong clamp when it comes to lambskin. the main issue with the stock pads are too small for the ears

For the poorfags that are in a hurry like me, the Panasonic RP-HT21 sounds solid for the price

Thanks for all the info man. I'm off to bed, was nice talking.

cheers m8, looking forward to impressions of both

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

so the onboard soundchip on my mobo is obviously too shit to drive my fidelio x2 headphones, because it sounds just fine on my phone. i need a cheap solution here and i don't want some fancy, big metallic stack on my desk. is there not just some small usb drive that i can tuck under my table and connect to my headphones to use them properly?

used fiio e10k for ~$50. you can velcro it under your desk

Not really, /hpg/ is focused on headphones, but usually dubs as an audio general since some anons here also like speakers and have some experience with production, ask away, maybe some can help.

see i was hoping for something cheaper. that's nearly half of what i spent on the headphones