Screen tearing in Linux

I've been exploring Linux as an alternative windows 10 and so far things have been going well. I just have one problem, there seems to be a lot of screen tearing everywhere. Whether from moving windows around or scrolling in chromium, its quite noticeable.

Is there any way of dealing with it?

I don't have that problem with Ubuntu mate mostly because of the simple compositor and enabled vsync. What is your Gpu? Try vanilla Ubuntu desktop you can install with apt.

GPU is a Radeon HD 4670, is it possible to force the integrated Intel gpu? Might that be more compatible?

Googled Ubuntu Radeon screen tear.

>xfce
Is this bait or something?
Anyways, try Compton.

the open source driver for Nvidia fixes this for me. Not sure if raedon / amd has a similar thing.

Disable the built in compositor. Looks like youre using Xubuntu. I believe it's under window manager tweaks. Then install compton from the repository and run that.

No more screen tearing.

The problem is noobs jump on the community spins instead of Ubuntu proper and miss out on the polish. Advice for noobs is install Ubuntu LTS which supports new hardware via hwe. Get your default install ok and then install xfce/mate/KDE with apt.

Just configure your Xorg drivers. It's easy.

Install Compton. Look it up. Should fix the problem.

compton --backend glx --vsync opengl

enabling a compositor will give you stuttering instead of tearing. enjoy

>Is there any way of dealing with it?
yes

AMDGPU + Freesync

Turn off the compositor

It happens all the time with shitty DEs like KDE and Gnome. Contrary to memes on Sup Forums it never happened to me with xfce.

Intel graphics will usually have less issues with Linux imo, Linux just has a lot of screen tearing cause drivers are always ass

Click synchronize vertical line or something in compositor settings.

You have to enable an option on Xorg my dude

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "TearFree" "on"
Option "ColorTiling" "on"
Option "ColorTiling2D" "on"
EndSection

You shouldn't be getting tearing with this. The open source drivers for this GPU are amazingly good, I had tearing in windows, but never in linux. I guess it needs some config tweaking.

This is exactly the config tweaking I was talking about.

can i have this wallpaper?

install your graphics drivers

>xfce
Get rid ofwhatever xfce's compositor is called and use compton with the opengl backend.

Screen tearing is a feature in Xfce.