Bilingual people

bilingual people,

what language do you think in when writing/speaking a learned language?

bump

bumped too early

>page 10 bump

Guess how I know you're monolingual.

I'm bilingual from birth and haven't experienced this phenomenon of "thinking in a language"

When I speak in English I also think in English.

Swedish or Finnish, it kinda depends on the language.

It depends on the level of proficiency.
When I'm writing in English, I don't have to think about what I'm typing, the flow of thought just comes naturally.
When I'm writing in French however, I have to translate most of the words in my head first.
When it comes to numbers though, I always think in Greek, numbers in English, let alone French, are pure CANCER.

>the apple
>apple

It depends on the scenario: If I'm thinking of something that would benefit from English, I think in English, while If I think about something that would benefit from Spanish, I think in Spanish.
But all bilingual people have the problem of "least effort", so you have to force and train your brain to not become invaded by the simpler language.

That's because Swiss people aren't human. You don't even have thoughts.

I generally think in English a lot, especially when thinking about a topic I've mainly encountered in English. It's gone so far that my understanding of Russian have started to deteriorate. So weird.

It's all the same shit to me.

you can't speak fluently if you aren't thinking in the language you're speaking at that moment

My wife taught me Spanish. At first, I had to think in English in order to speak Spanish. Once you break a certain point though the language flows just as naturally as English in your mind. It was a great day when I realized I could think completely in Spanish.

Spanish normally, sometimes catalan.

I don't have any problems when it comes to read or write, but it's an issue when I try to speak or understand what I hear. so sad.

You just need to practice speaking like you practice reading and writing. Literally language learning doesn't take much effort, only consistency. Listen to English radio. Find e-books in English, play them at half speed and repeat everything they say.

I think in a language i made

I think in shapes and colours

Depends. During periods I use english almost exclusively, I sometimes think in English.
Also there are things (ie terminology) that I only know in english, so there's that as well.
But for the most part, conscious high-level thinking is done in Greek.

> numbers in English, let alone French, are pure CANCER.
I totally agree
I don't know about greek but numbers in turkish and japanese totally make sense

>Find e-books in English, play them at half speed and repeat everything they say.

never thought of that, thanks based ameribro

Question to all the non-native english speakers: when you're drunk, can you speak English?

It's a weird thing for me
I'm completely fluid in English, French and Spanish
I have this thing in my brain I visualize like a switch
If I read, hear or need to say something in, let's say, French, I'll switch my brain to French mode
I'll start thinking in French, I'll have trouble understanding or recognizing English/Spanish words in this state
Same thing applies to English and Spanish, when I need to speak either, I switch my brain to that mode

Due to this I can't hold 2 conversations at once in different languages, since I have trouble recognizing what one party might be saying.

my native language is french
but I spent so much time on the internet and vidya that I now think in english

Same here
I don't have enough opportunities to practice verbal english in my daily life
I tried dan carlin's podcasts but it's hard to follow continuous speaking for a while
Never tried it before

Don't you have any english speaker friend?

>Don't you have ANY friends?

You should start making some friends
I would be your friend

Si tu parlais enfin à tes négresses, tu n'aurais pas ce problème

T-thanks user but you know this is not the place

The language I'm speaking in, what else?

Unfortunately.
You can also try to speak everything you read in english, it works for me

I think the language I am speaking at the time.

Thans user i will try that

>tfw you're only ever going to be monolingual

Japanese? Except when you count beyond 10 000, or actual things instead of numbers.
Yeah, I might not recall a word or another, but that happens sober too.

How do I stop translating words to my native language all the time?

Depending on what Im doing latvian or english.

i grew up in England but my parents taught me Portuguese since I was very young and I've been living here for about 10 years now. At the moment I mostly think in Portuguese with mixed in English words. The same thing happens when talking and writing and sometimes I would have problems in uni because I'd be presenting something or having an exam and I couldn't find the right words in Portuguese. Sometimes whole sentences.

In my last year of uni, besides my closest friend, all of my uni friends were Erasmus students so I'd spend all day talking in English. Back then I remember I'd consistently think in English until I got home and had to speak Portuguese with my grandparents.

It's kinda like a switch thing. Right now since I'm typing in English my thoughts are also in English, I'm not thinking in Portuguese and translating.

Everyone I talk to always says that they find it curious how much I mix Portuguese and English, since they notice I don't notice it at all most of the times.

>thinking in "words"
What the fuck

I think in the language in which I am gonna write/speak.

Do you have british accent even if you're speaking portuguese?

I think in both english and spanish, most of the time I don't really notice I'm thinking in certain language, it doesn't seem to happen with specific activities.

I also speak portuguese but I still don't think in portuguese unless I do it "manually"