>everyone over the age of 9 has internet access and pocket computers

When did the magic die?

Other urls found in this thread:

neocities.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=g1qroWiZF90
youtube.com/watch?v=QH6xgVRdfX0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This.

Once normies infest and multiply it is terminal. The overall enjoyability of using the web vanished once every retard could get a mobile device and then the powerful companies cater to them, the lowest common denominator.

We reached peak Tech. It was a fun ride.

Why don't we simply revive web1.0?

Fuck off retard, most people didn't own a smartphone until at least 5 years after the iPhone was released.

Obviously, but Android was available shortly after the iPhone release and more people had them since they were cheaper, plus, by this stage many people already had cheap laptops allowing access to the web. 2007 was the year everything cancerous started metastasizing rapidly.

True but it all began with the iPhone.

Yes, and you didn't become a faggot until 5 years after you were born, but your fate was already sealed after you were conceived.

>Linux is now a Windows 10 app
Holy shit,is this real?

Windows 10 has native ELF binary support

>When did the magic die?
around the same time as ham radio became populated exclusively by old fat autists.

but we already have

neocities.org/

hardware is in a pretty good place and pc gaming having a good time right now is keeping a nice emphasis there, but the shift for more mobility was just a matter of time, beefy "work" laptops were going to die sooner or later

at work I get a macbook pro and some dell fill in the blanks but they both have enough memory so like...eh?

>Blackberry is making Android phones

Is this a bad thing?

Apple have only produced 47,000 iPhone X units for November.

Just you wait there will be riots

Yes, BB10 was based

will still be better than pixel xl stock

>mobile shit is on decline
>Apple is finally on the downswing
>Linux hit a new high-point in marketshare

I don't know why you're so down lads, the future is bretty bright.

Where were you for the last two years

>>everyone over the age of 9 has internet access and pocket computers
I don't think you realize how bad it is. You can go to somewhat more popular hiking spots that are 20+ miles from the nearest city/town and still be able to get service and post. You can literally have more computing power than a mid 2000s desktop in your pocket and post on your favorite websites from out in the woods or on top of the fucking rock formation you just climbed.

Web 1.0 was static sites with no server side scripting. No one seriously wants to go back to websites where only those with admin credentials can post any new information, at least not for most uses.

>>BlackBerry is making android phones
BlackBerry isn't even making their own phones anymore.

>When did the magic die?
If you were looking for it in generic consumer crap, it's no wonder you don't find it.

>Windows 7 isn't supported on the newest machines
Windows was never magical. Having gone from Mac OS classic, to DOS, to Windows, to Linux, I can with no doubt whatever say that the time spent on Windows was by far my least productive and least magical years.

No, there exists a Windows 10 app that gives the barest minimum of Linux functionality to claim the name. Real Linux is still just as magical as it ever was. Normally, this is the place where I'd recommend staying away from systemd, but just the fact that there's still healthy competition between several different schools of fundamental system services is arguably reason enough to say that there are lots of interesting things happening on Linux.

>Motorola doesn't exist anymore
They just split off their generic consumer crap division and live on as , as healthy as ever.

>Apple products no longer cause stampedes and sidewalk tents
>everyone over the age of 9 has internet access and pocket computers
How is this a bad thing.

>Lenovo releases Retro ThinkPad, ended up being an ultrabook with an RGB logo
This is the only real travesty.

No shit, dumbass. That was the start of the end though.

Certainly.

The state of the common web, and computing is irredeemable and will only get worse.
What's your excuse for not leaving humanity behind and working on the bleeding edge?

youtube.com/watch?v=g1qroWiZF90
youtube.com/watch?v=QH6xgVRdfX0

>around the same time as ham radio became populated exclusively by old fat autists.
What can you all do with ham radio these days that can't be done better with the internet or cell phones? Anything involving operating from your home just seems stupid when the internet has existed for decades now and can even be accessed from a smartphone while you're not at home, and shorter range mobile stuff doesn't really make as much sense now either since cell phones have been around for multiple decades. Is the only appeal now days the enjoyment of talking to people without billions of dollars in support infrastructure and muh SHTF?

>and will only get worse
Why do you think so? The web has sucked since 1996. I haven't seen it get either better or worse, really.

overrall content and the people on it, monopolies surveillance, bloated webpages and shitty technolgy coming in waves, web drm becoming a thing
either you're not as old as your post implies or you haven't spent much time building or creating content on the web in those years

>most people
yeah, you and your fellow middle schoolers didn't

Yes it is, you're just too much of a corporate cuck to try it out yourself

>overrall content and the people on it
>bloated webpages
How is this different from any Geocities page in 1997 or any MySpace page in 2007?
>shitty technolgy coming in waves
With VBScript, ActiveX, IE6, Java Applets, Flash, Silverlight, JavaFX, IE toolbars, XML webservices, &c&c&c, I don't see how this is a new thing at all.
>web drm becoming a thing
I honestly doubt this is going to become much of a concern outside of Netflix and similar services, which I never intended to use in the first place.
>monopolies surveillance
This is the only semi-accurate point you made, but really, just stay out of cloud services. It's all on your own shoulders.

Considering they only make worthless portrait keyboards and not godlike landscape sliders...

>landscape is better than portrait

Im not a ham planet so idk, my guess is not much besides not pay a monthly bill, but those fags buy literally thousands of dollars worth of equipment and also you have to have a license to broadcast. they get super shitty if they find out youre operating without a license

ThinkPad Retro is good if you're not poorfag and have server to ssh for more power hungry tasks

Only small minded reprobates thought it was meant to be a clunky work station with autistic trimmings like battery handle

>ThinkPad Retro is good if you're not poorfag and have server to ssh for more power hungry tasks
So you're basically saying that it's expensive and incapable. So what was good about it, again?

well this is Sup Forums so uh, thinkpads

>Real Linux is still just as magical as it ever was
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-oh wait, you were serious? Let me laugh some more. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

didn't the same happen with cars, radios and television?

>they get super shitty if they find out youre operating without a license
You do know that licenses cost less than $20 to get, are valid for a decade, can be renewed for free, and technician licenses (which cover the main frequencies that there's a problem with people broadcasting without a license) are so ridiculously easy to get that they only really serve to filter out those who are unwilling to put forth any effort at all. Not to mention CB radios and FRS walkie talkies (the later having recently been reclassified to include frequencies and transmit power levels previously reserved for the licensed GMRS radios) are already available to those who are unwilling to put forth any effort whatsoever. Basically the only people drawn to use amateur radio gear without a license are prepper type faggots who don't actually care about getting to know their gear and others who just want something they feel is more sooper sekret vs normal walkie talkies.

Maybe but I can't say. You can only see or feel the declne when you are around in the formative early days of the technology and witness the commoditization of it.

Build your own radios, communicate worldwide with no existing infrastructure, use moonbounce, communicate over satellites and with astronauts on the ISS, etc.

>When did the magic die?
When it stopped being cool tech for nerds and started being a run of the mill consumer commodity. Hardware advancement plateaued, some suit figured out how to sell digital baubles to the consumer, and they ate it with a spoon.

It's hard to get excited over hardware anymore. There is no real competition in the market anymore so real advancements are milked to death.

Do you have sauce? This could potentially mean my job supporting them won't get too much busier come november, so I'd like to get those numbers.

About 2007 with the iPhone.

>less keyboard space is better than more keyboard space
What did they mean by this?

It's an appropriately priced t470 with additions given current market offerings. T470 is a good compromise of weight, performance, battery life and serviceability. The retro is exactly that with added benefit of input improvement + dgpu in a fully speced config. An objectively good device. The poors here would have never coughed up for it because they enjoy the time sink of buying refurbished and tinkering.

I don't need any more keyboard space than the Q10, and portrait keyboards mean the screen's oriented much better for reading and editing text.

And this is just the US, less developed markets are several years behind

>Hiking
>Outdoors in general
>On Phone
You're doing it wrong.

>hurr technology and nature must be mutually exclusive
Fuck off. Why would I stay at home and shitpost when I can do it on a mountain or in a meadow?

When you go /out/doors you should disconnect user.

Sometimes I do, others I don't. Again, there's no reason nature and technology must be mutually exclusive.

I get ya man, of course. A lot of people become way to distracted though, and feel the need to post every single second on Insta.
I would use it to take a pic every once in a while, check the time/GPS, and maybe watch a movie at night.

The world we live in.

Some will say Portal and TBBT as well, both released in 2007, though TBBT didn't get really popular popular until it's third season.

thanks for proving my point. I respect your right to have a hobby that interests you.
As the bongs say, its nawt moi cawpa tAAAAA

2007 for personal computers
2013 for smartphones
technology has matured, innovation is dead, returns are diminishing, nobody gives a fuck about building an exciting product anymore, that's why I live the luddite life now
think beyond the eternal quest for BIG NUMBERS and start contemplating actually using it
(you'll realize the true nirvana is having both landscape AND portrait keyboards on a slider)

Would be pretty neat to have a KEYone with a slider landscape keyboard.

Motorola still makes all their good products.

>that's why I live the luddite life now
this. I spent my youth working up to be a programmer or electronics engineer, then spent you late teens trying to figure out how I can still do it and not get replaced by pajeet or get paid in peanuts, and now I just chill and work on mechanical things for a hobby. dont even code anymore.
The more time I spend in the garage the more it seems my depression has gone away. I dont ever remember feeling like I do now, its relieving.

tpbp

honestly I was more getting at having the portrait component being a slider as well, it can be done

I know that's what you meant, but while saying that you made me think of this

Motorola doesn't exist anymore. Only the Moto line does and it's owned by Lenovo.

>he thinks the luke-warm attendance for the iPhone 8 was anything to take note of

The die hard fans are waiting for the X you dope.

>tfw my motorola starts with this faggy "moto" splash screen and then says lenovo
I want a different start screen so bad.

Motorola split into two companies, one's the cellphone company you're thinking of (Motorola Mobility) and one's everything else (Motorola Solutions).

The joke is that their radios are their good products.

Lame

>>Windows 7 isn't supported on the newest machines
It didn't support my 2012 laptop either.
Couldn't even display the full 1366x768 resolution on my x220.

I don't think OP is so illiterate he doesn't know about drivers.

So "getting super shitty" because other people refuse to put forth the most basic effort and the spectrum space available for amateur radio use is very limited and needs to be shared with the entire world is a bad thing?

>what is time
>what is change
>what are trends
>what is the circle of life

I would not, for the life of me, even think about going back just to re-experience how much of a hassle the state of consumer tech actually was

>>Linux is now a Windows 10 app
This one hurts just a little bit.

Well since you asked my opinion, Id say everyone should have equal right to pollute the airspace. where does that money go? do they some how clean up litter or repave the airwaves? Buying the equipment is putting forth the basic effort.
so basically if they arnt being obnoxious on the mic I don't see what the issue is.

also broadcasting powerful enough to make ghost like emissions on a neighbors unpowered speakers in their house is an issue and probably a health hazard.

Any POS is good if you can ssh into your home server, provided your server isn't a POS too.

>where does that money go?
It goes to the club that set up the test.

>Buying the equipment is putting forth the basic effort.
>so basically if they arnt being obnoxious on the mic I don't see what the issue is.
There's a lot more you can do with amateur radio gear than just talk directly from one person to another. Please tell me how anyone who picks up a cheap Chinese HT should be able to treat the local repeaters as their secret club. Protip: that would kill repeaters and most of the fucktards doing it would never contribute their own repeaters.

1 oct 1993

>It goes to the club that set up the test.
ok, so I made a club to make a test to post on Sup Forums.
You need to give me $20 to take the test to get a Sup Forums license.
your would be who the fuck do I think I am..

>repeaters
I dont know anything about that, but maybe if space is an issue then maybe allowing pajeet to transmit all the way over here and cleatus to transmit all the way to beijing is probably a bad idea.

Do chink shit radios actually break repeaters?

>I dont know anything about that
Then why don't you stick to shit made for the average brain dead consumer like FRS and CB radios, or actually learn about shit that hams use their radios for before trying to get on. All your posts are doing is proving my point about why the licenses exist.

I dont use a dead technology, you're just proving my point about how irate you faggots get over someone not having a license.
now go back to your over priced crap box and broadcast to all the other seniles that got left behind about how some guy on the internet had no clue

>implying it's not

Everything went to shit since that year.
Ten years later and I think we're getting back up. At least in terms of music, movies and vydia this year has been the best

the only correct answer is 'when you grew up'

Nah

>It's an appropriately priced t470 with additions given current market offerings.
In what way? Even Macbooks are cheaper and equipped with better hardware.

tnx user, thats some interesting shit.

>Motorola doesn't exist anymore

atleast they will forever be remembered for their biggest achievement. if you didnt own this phone you werent one of the cool kids.

This was the cool kid phone at my school

>When did the magic die?
When marketing became the absolute king.
We have a shitload of really intelligent people developing next generation devices and softwares but google, facebook and co buy them, stall any progresses for a few years then release it like it's something brand new.

>no keyboard on phones
still mad

the absolute pleasure of sliding out the keyboard

Get a Priv

>all of these eyes-closed delusions
A shit life lies ahead of you, friend, if you have to keep lying to yourself to be happy.