/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pixshark.com/behind-the-neck-headphones.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

so i have big ears. and a pretty big head, but not the biggest, just pretty big. i need something thats comfy first and foremost, something i can wear literally 16 hours a day, while being as quality as possible. money isnt an issue. what do i get?

HD 800 or HD 800 S.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

It's HD 600, not HD600.

Speakers

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

finally a decent OP

>ma900 distorting the image
what a frighteningly accurate representation of what they do to your music

prove that your opinion is credible by posting a picture of your headphones with a timestamp

NFB 11.28->HD 800. Just got the HD 800 today, and I fucking love it. Maybe my ears are damaged enough to not care about the treble, but the mids are amazing, and while I didn't think the bass would be great as well, I like the bass better than any other headphone I've tried. It's the first pair of headphones I've tried that match a pair of good speakers.

I'm going to buy the SDR mod and try that, but I think I've found my endgame. I'm honestly going to sell every other open headphone I own.

Now I just need something like it closed and non-IEM for work and the train, maybe try some other amps. I remember there was some talk about a new HD 820 that's closed. Hoping it comes soon.

I remember the talk about HD820, but nothing more. Then came the talk about HD660S and it will be available real soon, oddly, while the HD820 is still absent.
I'm curious about the HD800, but honestly feel like getting something non-sennheiser next, like the LCD-2c.

>NFB 11.28
Ew

I got these because i've been using the m50s for live use over the last four years and got to really like them. I wanted a better pair of open ears for more studio work, and was gonna get the HD 600. Then i remembered the m50s, and Audio Technica just release the r70x. So i took a chance and went with the At cans. I don't regret it a single bit, they sound really good. Listening thought those headphones is my go-to standard, i use them as a true reference. Would absolutely recommend.

what is that thing you're gonna eat

That was back in umi's birthday. It was a strawberry cheesecake.

>Accurate
To what? :^)

>HD800
>Single ended

hah

Will sell m100s, M40x, and hd558. Probably get dt770 or thx00, those seem like the best complements

why are you all so excited to buy 660 when they havent even been measured

What's the difference between the old m50 and new m50x?

>wanting higher output impedance

theyre paid to

Who is? It's not even better than an HD600 let alone an HD650

Hd600 are better than hd650 and if you disagree you are a treblelet

>triggered

>Hd600 are better than hd650
wrong

this x 1000

>give me a reason I shouldn't

>buying headphones made by a head-fi hobbyist

i can tell you their tech support is pretty bad. my first pair i had had some serious intermittent channel problems, and it took 2 months for them to actually give me a new pair. it was an awful experience

>Frequency Response: Yes*

>Mr. Sneakers
I feel bad for anyone that falls for his crap

Get a HD800 instead.

>closed
>get a hd 800 instead
solid advice there

>unironically recommending something that sounds worse

so... is his collection /hpg/ approved? this looks like some pretty high end stuff

super high end

That's almost entirely poorfag headphones. What a waste.

this
could have bought at least 3-4 decent headphones for what he spent on a room of crap

The lord thy god in heaven hath given me his blessing to lead ye wretched sinners away from the ignorant lies and injustice of these cursed blasphemers so that you need not languish in torment for hearing the foul cacophanies of your heathen 'phones.

I'm here to tell you boys that the way out of the bottle is clear, and that the true path into righteousness and eternal life points to itself. And that truth, o' my blessed brothers, is the new Sennheiser HD660S. Now go, go and thank the mighty father who sheds the blood of his only son that you might be shown his mercy for gifting thee with such a majestic and awesome way to receive his rapture.

When are we gonna get measurements from people who know how to use expensive measurement gear?

Any reason to not get a Magni 3? Need a headphone amp for my turntable.

tyll said in a couple of weeks

source

It's like a collection of headphones top recommended by Amazon Reviews fucking hell

HD600 > HD660S.

>triggered

>magni 3
>$99
It's too cheap, people might think you're a poorfag!
Ok, can't think of a valid reason.

>Sent the email...should be a few weeks or so.
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd660s-speculation.5220/page-10

wew lads, I thought that DACs and amps had no effect outside of cases where the onboard audio was complete noisy garbage, but my HD600s sound noticeably bassier out of the fiio k1 than they do out of my phone and motherboard.
I think I'm starting to believe in the audiophool snakeoil. what amp should I get next?

k1 probably has higher output impedance

don't bother with the dt770, the th-x00 will shit on it.

How loud would you have to drive your headphones to damage them? Is it a bad idea to use them as speakers?

yes

I'm not as sure about DACs, but yes, I can hear a difference between amps, and I wouldn't say I have golden ears

ANC is by far the largest sound quality improvement you can have while in a noisy environment.

Have other companies caught up with Bose yet though, as far as sound canceling technology goes?

Shure se215, mostly for audiobooks, sometimes for classic rock, isolation and build quality is very important, yes or no?

Isolation is good for the price, but I wouldn't buy se215 for rock. Something about it makes electric guitars sound loose and artificial as fuck. Just for listening audiobooks/podcasts it would be okay enough though.

That's a bummer, will I really notice if I'm not much of an audiophile?

You will probably notice it if you have any other OK-tier headphones to compare them against. The se215 are fine if not even great for EDM and such, but at least personally I think electric guitars are their greatest flaw.

Who here using sonarworks or some other auto EQ shit? Getting this mainly for speakers but I'm also looking forward to see what it can do for the HD800.

Are Etymotic a meme? I am interested in the mk5, but I wonder if these are comfortable and, above all, if these earphones are durable. Just look at the picture, this doesn't look more durable than any $10 earphones.

it's closer to $200 here. but yeah, still cheaper than anything else in the range.

>old
>expensive
>meme

look into the yamaha edh-100 if you like that style... brand name warranty if you are concerned about build

I've had my Sony MDR7506's for 3 years now and they've been amazing but they're finally starting to fall apart.

Are they the best all-purpose headphones under $120?

i hope that isnt a screenshot because i have never seen a headphone curve look like that

eq is a black art, even with a calibrated measurement no automated single button solution exists

its your ears skill trial an error and lots and lost of learning

t. owned behringer dcx2496 for 10 years and eq'd studios halls stereos cans cars everything

just got the AKG K7xx from massdrop.

How bad did i fuck up? Its just for pretty much everything non music like gaming or listening to streams.

Hey, if you happen to be in this thread, I just want to say thank you to these anons for recommending the Etymotic MC5. They came yesterday and they're working great so far!

they are durable, I got them about 3 years ago and they have seen heavy use, the cables are only starting to give in now

Amazon is selling used-very good condition Fidelio X2 for 115£. Are thry worth it if I wanna try some open headphones?

here

would anyone want to try and take a whack at fixing my grados sr60i? one of the magnets came off cause I stepped on it.

Wait until you have them in your possession and find out since you already bought them.

Must be fun being 15.

Yea, it really is! Hopefully when you turn 15 in a few years you'll have just as much fun as I do!

When I want to listen to rock on budget IEM's with great isolation my other choice is etymotic MC5 or MK5 and those sound pretty flat when it comes to electric guitars too. Which is better?

dont reply to me fag

You're lucky someone did since your question was fucking stupid.

>broken grados
so does it sound better now?

Criteria for my needs:

Must have:
Behind the neck
Around/over ear
Microphone+remote iPhone compatible OR
Plug-in jack on the headphones

Nice to have:
Bluetooth
Active noise cancellation

Does a set of headphones exist like this? A modern equivalent of Sony MDRG82?

pixshark.com/behind-the-neck-headphones.htm

All seem to be on-ear. Not over ear

Thanks for trying

>Budget
£50 max
>Location
UK
>Source
Phone, PC, Thinkpad, Amp possibly?
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Don't mind
>Sound signature
Neutral to Bassy
>Past headphones
Cheap earbuds, want something worth holding on to

Just got some HD 650s to replace my Logitech ~gaming~ headset. What's the first thing I should do? Is burn in real? Do I need to buy any cables or an amp?

Open version is available, I would wait for measurements and reviews.

yes, best would be a yggdrasil/mjolnir combo and a good cardas silver cable, get rid of the shitty stock one
to break them in you need to play at least 72 hours of constant kpop at 95dB

>is burn-in real?
Hardware? Likely not.
Your ears? Definitely. It'll sound different (better) to you as you get used to it.
>do I need to buy any cables
No.
>or an amp?
Any amp will suffice. Your motherboard likely has one built in, which will behave decently at not-too-loud volumes. Verify that.
Else, or if you feel like it later, Schiit Magni 3.

You can probably find mdr-xb950(wired) and shure shr440 around that price

>IEM
I appreciate the reply though user

>using the smiley with a carat nose

my bad. Sony mdr-ex650 then. 42£ on amazon, bought myself a pair and love them

It's ok, at least he has good tastes in terms of waifu

how do they compare to Sound Magic E10? Just out of curiousity, they are the closest option I had found previously

Better build and that crispy hi-res sound signature from sony, I liked them more than soundmagic. Also I dont really miss that noise isolation.

Cool, i'll see if I can order a pair soon, thanks user

>5Hz to 40kHz frequency response

Newfag here - someone explain. Why would I need that much range?

because dick waving
also useless info without stating at which level these rolloff points are

Because not going that far high or low means some people with some beliefs simply won't buy the product.
And you want to sell as much of the product as possible.