Is it possible to mount a USB with full privileges (r/w) with just "mount", without touching the fstab?

Is it possible to mount a USB with full privileges (r/w) with just "mount", without touching the fstab?
I've looked everywhere online and I have found nothing useful.
For example "sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /home/USB -o umask=000" lets me enter and open the files but not change them/erase them.
Thank you in advance, love this board btw.

just use an real operative system

-o rw

I'm using arch and I'm enjoying the learning process a lot, though.

Just use real grammar, Pajeet

I've just tried: "Failed to open directory ... permission denied"
When I'm in "root" it lets me enter, though.

*operations system

>operative

Are you spanish too? In spanish it's "sistema operativo" that translates to "operative system"

Then you have another issue to fix. Mounting with -o rw should work unless there's a policy somewhere that states otherwise. I wouldn't know where to look because I'm not a dorito dust covered neck beard drowning in mountain dew.

udisksctl from udisks2 package or whatever the fuck it's named on arch

pacman -S udisks
udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdb2

alternatively you can use udevil or something else

Thank you! I'm researching this now.
By the way, I'm reading online that writing the USB in the "fstab" doesn't make it mount automatically on boot (that's what I feared). You have to mount it every time If you wanna use it, am I wrong?

unless you specify "noauto" it will be mounted automatically, but if the USB is not present systemd will hang without letting your pc boot. to let it automount without systemd shitting all over your computer specify "noauto,x-systemd.automount"

you can also create a udev rule

>t. brainlet
Everything in fstab gets automounted at boot as long as the device is present and the fstab entry doesn't have noauto. However, automatically mounting USB flash devices for normal desktop use requires either a dedicated automount like udisks2, or a DE that handles it as well as polkit permissions to mount shit as user (unless you want to enter your root password every time).
Install a less retarded init or do nofail

Thank you!

This

>Install a less retarded init...

This. No reason for NSA/systemd to exist other than being shilled by U.S. based distros.

Ok, so I read the OP post again and have concluded that you are terminally retarded.

-o umask=000 changes the umask for the filesystem to 000, but this has fuck-all to do with files that are already written.
You either mount it with -o mode=777 (but this is stupid), or chown/chmod the mount point once it's mounted.

If you write it to fstab in a sane way (i.e. with label/UUID/HW path instead of sdX) AND the USB is present on boot, then it will be mounted automatically (but without nofail option systemd can refuse to boot if it's not present). If you give it the user option, then it can be mounted by a normal user without root access, too.

If you want to mount the USB as a user without using sudo, then you need udisksctl (this is the method file managers use too). There are also udisk helpers that can automount it as soon as it is inserted - Arch wiki has a page on this.

>Install a less retarded init or do nofail
I agree but sadly, this is not always an option.

Yes, it is. FOSS is about choice. Use the init system you want.

There are other factors. I can't put a niche distro on my dad's computer because he won't be able to use it. Sadly, non-systemd distros are niche.

I'm trying to configure the fstab but I can't still write on the disk: fstab:
"/dev/sdc /home/username/SDD1 auto rw,user,umask=000,utf8,noauto 0 0"
(I'm now trying to mount an SDD by the way)
Then I reboot and in the console execute: "mount /dev/sdc" and I can open the files but not read them. What do you guys think is wrong here? Thank you to everyone posting btw.

Please halp

Retard

Retard

Which fs is this? vfat/NTFS has different permissions handling from native Linux fs because Windows uses incompatible access attributes

>t. at least considered clinically retarded by now
first of all, stop using umask=000 and never use it again. secondly, unless you don't have a partition table (you probably do have one), you should use /dev/sdc1. thirdly, your ssd should have a file system with permissions (format it if not), mount it in /mnt/ssd or whatever, create a folder in there as root and chown it to your user. if you want to access it from somewhere like /home/username/ssd, make a symlink.

Oh I see, it's NTFS (since I use it for my Windows partition too)

Is there a way to handle this permissions issues then?
I'm thinking that I could format the SDD to FAT32 (like USB drives, am I correct?) instead of NTFS, I wouldn't have these permissions issues with Linux, would't I?

Reposting because I fucked up

1. use ntfs-3g, don't bother with umask but set the uid and gid to your user's (probably 1000)
2. it's safer to use a UUID than /dev/sdc1
3. mount takes the mount-point as argument, not the block device, so the right command would be mount ~/SDD1
4. It's SSD by the way, not SDD.

>mount it in /mnt/ssd or whatever, create a folder in there as root and chown it to your user.
not necessary
>if you want to access it from somewhere like /home/username/ssd, make a symlink.
what would that be useful for?

thank you a lot! I'll use ntfs-3g then.
A bit of dyslexia with the SDD lol

Holy fuck, ntfs-3g makes it all ultra-easy.
"sudo mount /dev/sdc ~/SSD" and it works perfectly.
Thank you a lot man! And everyone else too

>not necessary
setting uid and gid as mount options doesn't work with ext4, creating a folder with different ownership inside of the mount point's root is the easiest alternative. since OP uses ntfs it doesn't matter, yeah. i just read ssd and instantly assumed it would be a permanently mounted drive only used for Linux.
>what would [a symlink] be useful for?
it would allow OP to just cd ssd instead of cd /mnt/ssd/mydata.

I mount it with sudo then chown it to the user

its been a while since ive done it manually like that. I got tired of it and just added everything to my fstab, but I use to mount several partitions every boot and had no issue with read write. maybe just mound them and "chown -R :group /mnt" and "chmod -R g+rwx /mnt" everything on there. (x gives execute on files AND the ability to navigate to a directory). I think I did that once in the begining and it just stuck.