Any sdr pros here with tips on how to get started?

Any sdr pros here with tips on how to get started?

Other urls found in this thread:

osmocom.org/projects/sdr/wiki/rtl-sdr
youtube.com/results?search_query=sdr blackhat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw you bought a usb sdr dongle but your not intelligent enough to get it to work

you say that like they're really expensive. confirmed poor.

I have two that works, but I lost the antennas. The shitty thing is once you get them to work you kind of want more.

>tfw after hours trying to get it to work you can't pick up anything anyway
I need to stick an antenna on my house.

>Any sdr pros here with tips on how to get started?
I have a paper on SDRs and some coding experience in SDR, mainly due to getting second place in a worldwide cognitive SDR contest.
What do you need to know?
First off, motherfucking good c++.
second, a bit of python, for scripting.
Third? welp, gnuradio. Learn how to make modules, learn how to code for gnuradio.
Ford... now the fun stuff. Learn Applied Mathematics for Engineers. Convolution, Fourier, fft, a bit of linear algebra, do some freq and ampl modulation examples.
Fifth is the hands on experience. work on some simple FM receiver, handmade ofc, for gnuradio.
Start picking samples with your dongle and demodulate them.
Finished?
Ohhhh... yeah... now let's move to binary data.
Learn some telecommunication systems theory, back to school biatch, focus on topics about modulation, sampling theory(hello nyquist), quantization, digital modulation.
and then you'll be able to start serious work on SDR.

>tfw you bought a USB SDR dongle and only use it to listen to FM radio

Why are amerifats so fucking autistic about radio? It's not the fucking 70s anymore grandpa, and you're not some epic vigilante or master thief executing a heist.

get the fuck out of here

>but I lost the antennas
Those are shitty anyways. Make your own.

What this guy said. Don't spill the cash for a hackrf or similar unless you lookinto how to actually code for it. Otherwise it's just a REALLY expensive usb dongle.

>mfw bought an SDR, but live 25mile from anything in a deep valley so the only signal I can ever pick up even if I plug it into my head unit and drive to the middle of the middle of nowhere is the local EMI from whatever electrical system is near by

feels bad man

All the sdrtype software I find all have hackrf support. Is it really a waste of money (coming from the usb rtl dvb dongles).

If you're only going to Rx, yes. But to Tx, get your feet underneath you with analyzing with your rtl dongles. Assuming if you're going to demultiplex digital signals.

Some signal analysis is def. required. Working with regular audio or I/Q files are good places to practice.

>What this guy said.
oohhh, thanks dude.
Hackrf is expensive and a tool for the advanced.
The best beginner choice is some rtl2832u dongle with unlocked frequencies. a simple duckduckgoing can give more info.

wow dude, you must live in an imaginary place, because satellites phone home in accessible frequencies. Even if you are in the middle of nowhere, there should be at least 3-5 satellites above your head where at least one per day broadcasts some data.

Am I doing this wrong?

dude, hackrf is close to 300 jewros in jewrope.
it is way to high for a hobby.
If you _have_ that kind of money for that piece of h/w, then you can spend more.
I'd suggest you to spend 700$ on the usrp mini with the ad9364 chip.
You'll get the same oss shit with the hackrf, plus a shitload of verilog libraries if you are into fpgaing and you will get a way better level of rx and tx with less noise and more b/w.
Do you want to go for more?
Get a pcie fpga with fmcomms2 port. Buy daughterboards with different chips, fuck bitches.

yes.
some rtl2832u dongle should cost you 15$ and that's it.
check this.
osmocom.org/projects/sdr/wiki/rtl-sdr

I want one to go around unlocking random Subarus

The dongles in pic are $15 each.
>rtl dongle x6
>dongle antenna x6
>and an usb hub
Should I go for the usrp as an user mentioned instead? They $700, and I still wouldn't know what to do for antennas, and stuff.

you can use sdrs to do more serious damage.
You can spy on cars.

I am the same guy who said about the usrp.
Your first move is to get a $10-20 dongle and start learning the basics.
Read the list from link above(from osmocom) and see which dongle you can find that works on 80mhz - 600mhz.
That's where most electronics work, radio, mice, car keys, various sensors, tv broadcasts, e.t.c..
Those dongles are RECEIVE only, so you should spend a shitload of time learning how to read and decode data.
If this is too fun for you, or you want to get into more serious places, e.g. gsm wifi bluetooth, get the usrp.

I forgot to say that sdrs boards are fucking cheap.
The most expensive parts are antennas.
There are specific antennas for each group of freqs, so if you decide to work on mobile networks you have to get a special antenna. if you want to work on tv broadcasting channels, you'll need a different, if you want to go for wifi/bluetooth at 2.4g you'll need a different one, for 5g a different one, and so on.
So a $700 board will do the job for up to 6ghz, but you'll need a bunch of antennas.
Antennas can be cheap but they can set you back even for a couple thousand dollars for specific workloads.

Thanks for the info. It seems like a fun money eating hobby lel.

for sure,
but most of the fun staff can be done with cheap peripherals.
also, see those videos first youtube.com/results?search_query=sdr blackhat
over and out, it's 01:03 here, time for a sleep.

GSM is possible even with a shitty $15 dongle. These are generally between ~25-1700MHz.

I have a very simple question.
What software do you use for your SDR?
I have yet to find consensus on what software is the best.

is tehre anything interesting you can do with 10$ aliexpress sdr?

Looks like cool shit require this 500$ op pic box

As a novice, sdr# & dsdplus / fmp

or just fucking plug an antenna into an sdr dongle and listen to whatever the fuck your antenna can pick up. Not everyone has to take the autistic approach

what is a better antenna other then the stock shit for SDR?