Is this a good distro to put on my gf's chinkpad t430? Gnome is shit and budgie looks comfy...

Is this a good distro to put on my gf's chinkpad t430? Gnome is shit and budgie looks comfy, just need to merge the dock with panel to make it look comfy like Solus. Don't really want to actually use Solus though.

Other urls found in this thread:

moebuntu.web.fc2.com/home_eng.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

give her moebuntu

Budgie is one of the few acceptable Gnome forks. I'd say go for it.

arch with i3

I'd rather install gentoo.

I agree on the whole gentoo > arch.

In fact, I think gentoo would fit just perfectly on your gf's chinkpad t430.

>my gf

stopped reading there
go back you know where disgusting normie

just buy her a macbook instead so she's actually happy instead of pretending

If she really is OP's gf, she is already pretending.

That's too adorable to exist.

just getting into budgie. 16.04 remix feels pretty good user
go for it

FreeBSD + cwm

embrace your autism and install netbsd instead

budgie is love
budgie is life

why r u posting Sara's pictures?

>gfs
>my
>"her" existence
>implying

Sup Forums isnt your secret club anymore
grow up

>implicitly blindly believing op's claim
jej

Except for great screen quality, she doesn't like Macs. She hates touchpads and after using my chinkpad she feel for the trackpoint so I got her a t430.

Use elementary os

Only problem is wifi is sometimes a pain in the ass to get going

What does distro have to do with de?
I'd say budgie or cinnamon, both appeal to contemporary taste and are easy to use.

It's real, and needs to exist on more distros.
moebuntu.web.fc2.com/home_eng.html

I want a distro that works well with a particular DE. Not like KDE on Fedora or Ubuntu for example. Which may be because KDE is just a buggy piece of shit in the first place but you should get what I mean.

KDE is great on fedora, its up to date and well integrated. Of course, that's anecdotal from my own experiences.

It has less to do with distro and more about packages. Debian has the best package testing around, however they are often not as current as say fedora or arch. I put it in these terms for you because you are not going to find useful answers if you think about it as a de itself being more or less compatible with a certain distro

Well, I'm a brainlet but isn't a DE just packages thrown together? Isn't it the same as a DE being more or less "compatible" with a distro?

Desktop environments are software which people develop. So different distros, with their respective package repositories, have varying levels of curre tness, exceeding beyond de's.

This is done for various reasons, I.e., the latest KDE update breaks another piece of software. Debian devs will spend more time testing packages for stability and compatibility than many other distros. This would be opposed to something like the AUR, which seeks to provide the latest packages regardless. However, this is all terribly relative. Sometimes, oftentimes, the latest version just werks, sometimes not. Also development is always changing, so an answer that is true now may not be in the near future.

Okay, that sounds clearer, thanks user. Speaking of Debian, I see that stretch stretch has budgie repos now. I'm using Debian on my home server but never actually used it on my desktop/laptop. Now I don't need bleeding edge and neither does my gf so maybe I should try installing budgie on Debian for her. The reason for budgie is that it just looks nice out of the box and can easily set a launcher/dock combo on the panel like Windows'. While I stick to xubuntu, there's no easy way to achieve that as far as I know not. There used to be a way to get gnome applets on the panel that would go the trick but I hear that it's obsolete now.

>she
>gf
>my
>her

Yeah, I've never used Debian on my desktop/laptop. That has nothing to do with my girlfriend. Do you have trouble reading, brainlet?

Stop being so cynical guys, why would he lie.

Anyway, I would suggest not using Linux (or "GNU/Linux" as some people would say). It's super insecure, used by Russian hackers to hack things. Don't take my word for it, my mother's husband is CIA.

PS. Don't go to Toronto on Friday. Stuff could be happening there.

>gf's

Elementary OS or Chalet OS

> gf
Given how much time girls love spending on futile but appealing things, I'm tempted to recommend Arch + Gnome.

I've been using for months now and I really like it, the 10.4 update was really fucking good and they plan on dropping the gnome bullshit soon(tm)

>girlfriend
>my
jej
>implying

My gf used Arch with Gnome, OpenSUSE with KDE, Ubuntu with Unity and Fedora with Gnome.
She hates Linux.

She does care about privacy and security though, so she is fine with me putting GNU/Linux and BSD on everything.

>gf
>my

>>gf
>>my
Did you forget the recursive pic with girls browsing on Thinkpads?