How can Linux even compete?

How can Linux even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/10/1350245/visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-secretly-inserts-telemetry-code-into-binaries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>been using notepad
>fuck, its not a good ide
>try visual studio community
>check all the boxes to download everything (might as well, dont want to miss anything useful, and its free)
>size of download: 80 gigabytes
WHAT THE FUCK ITS A FUCKING TEXT EDITOR HOW CAN IT BE SO FUCKING MASSIVE! YOUR RUINING ME MICROSHAFT

This is the only reason I'm still using windows, it's such a good IDE

Protip just install what you need

but notepad++ will probably do you good

Emacs.

vim + gdb + make. Much better and faster

vim+gcc is way better than that bloated piece of shit.

What in god's name comes with it that requires 9 GB on a base install.

This, unironically

How are makefiles handled when projects grow large? I've looked at makefiles for some large projects and they're enormous.

Visual studio injects literal spyware into the binaries. Hence the produced binaries are slow.
It's garbage.

>the use 2GB of ram with one project open meme
never again
vim + csc master race

Pretty rare for proprietary software to be spyware free anymore.

cmake or autism

Try visual studio code

while i really like code, by god i wish electron didn't suck so much ass

Excuse me but Atom has an IDE now. I immediately uninstalled VS and freed up 20GB of that sweet sweet SSD space. :)~

>notepad++
Fucking hell you plebeians need to be dragged into a back alley and shot. As far as pleb-tier text editors go, Atom is far superior.

>atom
*starts swapping out after opening a 500 line file*

>lying this hard
Stay pleb

You know visual studio is on Linux now, right?

Worthless shitskin.

No it is not. Visual Studio Code is on Linux. But it's also garbage. It's literally just an Atom ripoff with Twitter integration. Oh, did I mention it comes with integrated Twitter bullshit?

> Atom is far superior.

Especially if you're a little file-tree dependent bitch that keeps icons on his desktop and huffs and puffs whenever something has to be done from the command line.

>check all the boxes to download everything (might as well, dont want to miss anything useful, and its free)
You are literally downloading tons of sdks and emulators. No boxes checked is a text editor, a compiler, and a debugger.

How good is it?

If you know your language well and if that language is not Java (to much bloat, difficult to use without code completion), sublime text's speed and snappiness makes it much superior than any IDE.

You just downloaded multiple game engines dumbass

>How can Linux even compete?
By not having the most annoying development environment ever? I would very, VERY much prefer to never touch Visual Studio as much as I possibly can.

VS Code's surprisingly responsive considering how much memory and CPU time its web stack devours.
Though looking at the source code, it's almost entirely TypeScript and just about everything is "async" so I guess it gets plenty of chances to respond to input.
Some older IDEs get pretty painful as the project grows and the UI starts getting close to "not responding" every time you do something.

This.

>How good is it?
It's written in JavaScript.

>atom
>good

As part of my networks and cyber security course there's a C programming module. What can I use to do this in Linux?

Racist.

It's good because its not open sores.

i really want to like Code but its startup time is just dogshit compared to sublime

>bloatom

Mah nigger. Good Java major-mode when?

freetards will never know this comfiness.

freetards for being retarded comfirmed.

acme+ur fav compiler.

>use linux
>comes with vim out of the box
>probably like 3MB's or something
>does 90% of what visual studio does
>throw in a few plugins
>vim's probably sitting at a hefty 15MB's now
>does 99% of what visual studio does

I honestly don't understand how microsoft managed to make VS use up 20GB's of space.

I don't care. Vim may be a weird kludgey hack as an IDE, but I still prefer it.

yeah well when you're replacing fucking visual studio, even atom looks like debloat

its a bloated piece of shit, an absolute clusterfuck of obscure UI that nobody, not even MS uses nor understands.

To be summarize its problem, its distracting. Clion is the best C/C++ ide for windows and linux

what about Jetbrain's Rider ?

and how much of sweet RAM space did you lose?

Visual Studio does nothing special, and adding libraries to a project feels like it's built on top of Windows 95 code and UI.

It has a memory usage window, which is cool, but only hammers the point that your default startup project is eating up 42 megabyes of memory.

>your default startup project is eating up 42 megabyes of memory.
That's the embedded spyware

you maybe think I'm joking but I'm not

What pupose is there on spying on fizzbuzz projects?

Its not a text editor

VS contains libraries, frameworks and so forth user, multiple programming languages by default

>or how i like to call it "just fucking end me already"

why would they even consider throwing resources to process and store data from all the shitty projects in the world? for what purpose?

Can it ship fully functioning .NET compatible code, compile it with MSBuild and provide a live debugging experience in IL with a hook to VSTS and Git deploying to 5 environments through TC and Octo with a DB Server explorer, code completion and full Unity, Xero, C++/C#/F#/Python support, switching code to full disassembly for code step-throughs including performance profiling, registry compatibility and multi-project support?

>installs netbeans anyway

how does the Linux kernel compete with Visual Studio, the IDE?

sorry user, your screen is 342 pixels too wide to be deemed comfy

yeah

yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/10/1350245/visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-secretly-inserts-telemetry-code-into-binaries

I think the latest kernel's 300MB's or so but it might be like 80MB's

MICROTARDS BTFO!!!

Already reversed that decision soon afterwards

I see.
>MB's
please don't do that again.

>unironically recommending an IDE that needs 2gb of RAM just to keep a project open
>unironically recommending something that is slower than Eclipse and PyCharm together

Even fucking Atom with tons of packages is better than this shit. This thread is pure bait.

>launch clion
>100% cpu usage
>fans start spinning like crazy
Java, not even once

Linux is a kernel
Visual Studio is an IDE

size != greatness.

notepad is only a few megabytes i guess then notepad is better for making official documents than microsoft(tm) word.

been removed for years.also only if you use c++.

By using superior technology

NetBeans doesn't have this problem

>This is the only reason I'm still using windows, it's such a good IDE
Yeah I fucking hate windows, but that is one of the comfiest ides I have ever laid my hands on.

I'll fuck a man to prove my dominance.

*yawn*

Call me when it has real Java support

>microsoft promised us they stopped embedding the spyware why would they lie?!?!??

BUILDER

you're aware that you can disassemble compiled binaries, right? if there were still telemetry calls in compiled programs, someone would have noticed.

Recommended for cp p.

>caring about 80 Gigs
Its almost like you don't have three terabyte hard drives

just

inb6 some dumb faggot posts a webm of wireshark capturing some 30 byte packet and running "decrypt_rsa" on it and getting a 5 MB .png screenshot out of it.

I just use sublime text with repl and few other plugins its a hack but its comfy and
It just werks

>Visual studio injects literal spyware into the binaries. Hence the produced binaries are slow.
Wait what

it's called 'telemetry' not spyware

all it does is send important testing data back to microsoft, like screenshots, keylogs, and sometimes files