Is it worth it to major in comp sci or is it just a meme degree?

Is it worth it to major in comp sci or is it just a meme degree?

If you are cishet white male scum kys to save time
Otherwise tech is a blindingly bright future, bring some shades

Well, being that the market is getting more and more saturated, and India has a pretty strong hold on cheap programming labor, I'd say its highly possible to find a higher paying job in another career.

Then again, I'm into computer science because I'm passionate about electronics. The reality is most companies hire from bootcamps for a cheap job, and then fire the staff to replace them with the next batch of bootcampers.

You're 1 in 4 these days... add India, China, and Japan, you're 1 in 3.

>comp sci

this is what fuckers like you were saying 6 years ago.

It's a gradual replacement

admit you don't want any job competition from other citizens

Yeah, because the saturation is continuous. And I'm not saying don't do it. If you have a passion for it, its an awesome expierience.

see
The job market is getting worse and worse. If you don't notice it, feel lucky.

Competition and market saturation drives down wages.

He's just meming. As cheap as they are, the US still graduates 4 times as many programmers as india so you will mostly be competing against your own classmates.

Say what you will, it beats the shit out of theater arts.
At the end of the day your salary is determined more by what kind of work you do at your job than your title there, much less your major used to get there.

I graduated this spring and applied to literally every software company in Washington, Oregon, and California. I get nothing but 20+ emails a day form bindis trying to get me to attend their coding bootcamp.

Wildland firefighting looks like fun, I'll get 6 months off a year to program and work shit jobs.

Do not under any circumstances major in CS unless you also major in Math or you're not a cis-het white male. Even the government won't hire you.

compsci degree is only as prestigious as the school you attend.

>Graduated this spring

>Didn't apply outside west coast

I'm in Oregon and I can't afford to move - literally fucking broke, selling my car right now.

Maybe try attending a decent university next time.

looooool are you kidding me? Universities are shit. I transferred from a community college and I did more difficult work there than I did here.

Universities try to haze the stupids out of the program with math, they aren't actually good at teaching programming.

it's a complete waste OP. A complete waste. It would be like getting a degree in physics to help you stack shelves. Surely a knowledge of physics will help you manipulate boxes better... but at the end of the day not really and unskilled workers will beat you to the punch while your wasting time on the degree

No wonder you can't find a job.

I think it has more to do with the 100,000+ bindis and chinks that are imported every year to shit up the job market. Even the guys at the best uni in my state aren't getting anything.

But yeah, your trolling is 4/10. I learned more on my own than I did in university. Anyone who claims that your university determines your programming ability is a troll.

I am looking forward to getting an outdoors job tho, god am I tired of university.

>it's not that I went to a shit tier university. IT'S the BROWNIES!!!!

The people who graduate from Brown, Stanford, MIT are getting the jobs champ.

do you have a github with a portfolio and contributions

MIT has all their coursework online, wtf would you pay to go there?

Given your obsession with credentials and your nerd rage that someone doesn't want his nation's economy destroyed, I assume that you are a chink or a bindi. To prove you're not, please relate a conversation you had with an attractive white woman that didn't result in a student conduct hearing.

I have a repo, but not on github. I got a huge backlog of projects I want to work on, that I can't because I'm working shit jobs to get by.

>please relate a conversation you had with an attractive white woman
Your mom mumbled something while sucking my dick last night.

>the thousands of people at the top universities get jobs
>the hundreds of thousands of people not at the top universities do not get jobs
>the job market is fine

Sure if you want to pay for hundreds of thousands of people to be NEETs.

FUCK OFF if you were into electronics you'd be an electrical/computer engineer

bootcamps are a scam for anyone not a /discriminated minority/

>tfw got 6 job offers before I graduated for software engineer positions and started making 70k a year starting out
Went to school for computer engineering but there was shit all for that by me and SE paid more as well. I live in a pretty small area, compared to shit like CA and NYC, so that helps as well.

Except if you work for the government or military. These poo in loos and chinks can't get security clearances so they can only hire actual Americans.

The credentials are LITERALLY all that matters for getting a job. "Oh but I know how to..." "University didn't teach me..." "Junior college was harder..." NOBODY CARES. Go start your own company if you're so clever. The name that has been around for centuries lands you a job, your name isn't worth shit, and your shitty community college and university's names aren't worth shit.

>>the hundreds of thousands of people not at the top universities do not get jobs
>must compete for jobs

fixed that for you.

>living in a big city with a disgusting amount of people in it
>expecting to work at Google or some shit starting out
Lol just lol

in my experience, as someone who just transferred universities to have more intern opportunities and is a white male, CS is a great major just as long as you have a goal in mind-some way to apply it. No matter how "Good" of a program you attend, it really all comes down to experience how hard you've applied yourself.

>You're 1 in 4 these days... add India, China, and Japan, you're 1 in 3.
>can't even do math
>thinks his opinion worth anything
How does a larger influx of workers into the economy better your odds?

Depends on the uni. If it has a single class dedicated to teaching a language, then it's shit. Compsci should focus on theory.

You're serious aren't you? You're that dumb.

Source on the cute loli math manga pls

Are you a white male? Then it's not worth it. Unless you are a white male, but you're one of them nuwhite males. Then it's worth it, but you have to get really combative anytime someone says something like "men's bathroom".

>insults someone math
>can't think about fractions

My school is on strike rn. so my comp sci degree is looking distant

It's a meme degree. Learn it on your own.

Looks like Kuro from Prisma.

Anything you can do with a comp sci degree you can also do without a comp sci degree.

I think you're the ones that can't do math.

Implying Rajesh needs any actual credentials to get hired at Infosys or Tata. Don't have to graduate from IIT to write enterprise Java my son.

Most of those graduates are on special visas from India and China though

If you're a girly man or academic good for nothing, go for it. But if you're an autodidact, then indeed CS is an incredible meme degree — and if you were an autodidact you wouldn't be asking this question, rite?

just walk in ask for the manager give him a firm handshake and tell him you want to work there

this

That's my major, but I'm not going to have the same issue as most people because I actually took the effort to populate my resume over the past 4 or 5 years. If you're expecting a great job right out of the gate with literally no work experience, it's your own fault. University can ""teach"" you, but they can't spoonfeed you jobs.

autodidact is a fancy word for can't follow directions gl getting a job let alone a degree

I have no fucking clue what to do with my life user

Doesn't matter. Either you apply yourself and get a job or you blame everyone but yourself like the rest of these NEETs.

1/3 -> 33.3% chance of getting job
1/4 -> 25% chance of getting job

Sure but use the knowledge to develop your own software. Do not become a code monkey slave for some corporation.

Can you even get anywhere without going to college? Or is it more of a "who you know" kinda thing?
I know of three people I could potentially talk to who work at government-type computery jobs, but it seems like everywhere follows the standard "NEED ASSOCIATES DEGREE OR HIGHER AND X YEARS EXPERIENCE" like it's a no if's, ands, or buts scenario.

Bro, all university degrees outside medicine and allied healthcare are complete bullshit.

>outdoors job
But if you google outdoors jobs only shit comes up. What are you thinking about?

I thought the most worthwhile would be some kind of environmental scientist. I have friends that studied geology or biology and they go out a lot to take samples and make measurements. But I'm too old for starting that now and also science has pissed me off enough so far. So what do you want to become? A landscaper? Landscape architect? Gardener?

Also the point to study CS is not to become a code monkey but to start one's own software business with zero startup cost and then selling for billions, relocating to a private island.

Having any degree to start off is good. If you think you would do good in computer science, why not go for a degree in it