What's the point of learning a major language?

Natives just act like you speaking their language isn't a big deal, like you're unimportant. I'm not saying I want people to be seriously impressed when I speak their language...but I actually kind of do? A pat on the back would be nice at least. And the natives being warm and welcoming.

Am I being a hipster tight now or is this a valid complaint and somebody else knows this feel?

There is none, English is enough.

Don't ever expect thanks from the English, they're a shower of cunts.

If you fish for compliments you'll usually get one, people aren't just going to say 'wow you're really good at [language]!' unless it's some obscure one nobody expects you to learn.

>nobody has or ever will care enough about Ireland to learn Gaelic

t. Jedward

Learning another language is about learning you stupid bitch.
If you want to remain stupid go ahead but don't pretend like you have anything better to do since you are wasting your life here.

No one cares if you speak english but on the other hand no one's gonna shit on you for having bad english

hope that makes you think

I'm tempted to do that, just to spite you

>mono-lingual American educating bilinguals on the values of learning and multilingualism

whew

>implying

Reminds me of a story my father told me. Early in his career, he was sent on a business trip to Turku, where he was supposed to have a meeting with three French men, who had come here to discuss something. The meeting never happened, because it turned out that none of the French spoke any English or Finnish. They had just assumed that someone here speaks French.

Trianon best day of my life filthy hungarynigger

if your cuck father was a true businessman he would find a way to make the deal work

People like you are the reason why Americans are not respected.

>cuck
There's that fucking word again

Come to Asia, practically nobody speaks decent English here and anybody fluent in one of our languages is a true rarity

All my Sims characters used to speak fluent Gaelic though

>mexskins and mongols
what a lovely mixture

Says the rootless and cultureless.
>Inb4 muh heritage

>he is proud of a "culture" that revolves around hot steamy rooms and eating boiled goat heads
Truly the epitome of civilization

>eating boiled goat heads
That's iceland and Norway..

There's much more to Finnish culture but foreigners don't know about it. Also this:

He's right though

everyone just says english is babby's first language tier and it was easy af to learn, and everyone speaks it anyway.
Though if someone says sorry for my poor english or that they only know a bit, obviously you'd let them know it's good or whatever.

fucking eternally butt blasted micks ffs

Except my father isn't a businessman, he's an engineer. He was there as an expert, not as negotiator. That was other guy's job.

The core English grammar is pretty simple. Most of the time the word order stays the same, words don't have to be flexed, nouns don't have genders, etc. Basically you'll get far by just stacking words after each other according to a predetermined order. The only hard thing for beginners is the spelling.

No he isn't. American businessmen are literal hyenas that are willing to destroy and sell anything for profit. Everybody prefers to avoid them like the plague.
The only thing worse than an American businessman is an American lawyer or banker.

>implying theres a difference between scandishit countries

>go to google
>type in finnish culture
>shows a picture of trees
hahahahahahhahahaa

French af attitude :^)

At least we're honest with ourselves. Unlike you mr "WE WUZ HUNS N MONGOLS N SHEIT" Attila Anastázs

Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.
Our secret culture is there. You just can't comprehend it.

I can respect that, although it's a little impractical often.

Sorry about that, btw

Some people here just don't give two fucks about English and other languages, they think we live in the 19th century, they think every important person can speak French...

No problem. The visitors naturally left without a deal too.

I haven't been to France (I'm waiting for you to sort out the immigration and security problems) but I've heard that a Frenchman can learn fluent English in less than a second, if you first say a couple of French phrases to him. I guess it's about the rivalry between you and the English.

People here complement it when a foreigner speaks our language.
I've had people complement my Polish because I have a foreign name (assuming I'm not a Pole)

Yes, technically, English is easy for us, easier than any other Germanic language.

Young Frenchmen are not so bad, but their pronunciation... :^)

Well you already messed up their spelling, so might as well mess up the pronunciation.

>A pat on the back would be nice at least.
I wouldn't want to make it seem like I'm condescending. As for being warm and welcoming, I always am with strangers, unless you give me a reason not to.

>At least we're honest with ourselves.
You have no history, no culture, no nothing. Everything you have has been appropriated from Europeans - unless you count things like rap, twerking n' shieet by the nig-nogs.

Stay jelly.

What's your name?

>You have no history, no culture, no nothing
Youre absolutely right. But at least we have all our clays :D:D:D:D

Josh
I was born in America :^)

Don't feel bad. It's the perfect revenge. French didn't become the lingua franca but now the English speakers will rage forever, because of their incomprehensible spelling.

None of it is actually your clay. You are just invaders.

So are hungarians. after all they literally wuz turans n sheit

btw...what was my mistake ?

I think I should say something about American education but I think I won't.

You colonized the wrong places. Or rather you colonized less places, so actually you are the lesser evil here.

America is rightful indian clay

go home white piggu

No, in my sentence

Oh. Nothing. I was talking about the French in general. If I remember correctly, you created the English writing system and because it's heavily influenced by French, it's really confusing.

Ah, good !

Yes, English vocabulary is heavily influenced by French

Thank you

>learning the language to get compliments
How fucking lonely are you? You learn languages to read foreign literature, for business (arguably pointless too unless you plan to live in a foreign country, everyone else speaks english), or because you just want to, every other reason is retarded

>implying any on the pic is hungarian clay

That's not what OP was saying. He thought that the speakers of major languages take it for granted that other people learn their language.

You get complimented once they notice that you are fluent in it.

And don't stutter like a pajeet.
git lernin kit

This tbf

>speakers of major languages take it for granted that other people learn their language

Emm, for what reason? I still don't understand, is OP complaining that people who learnt a foreign language don't get kissed in the ass by the native speakers of that language in reward of bothering themselves to learn it?

>Learning another language is about learning you stupid bitch

Please learn to use my language in a more conductive manner, you colonial trout.

>mfw people congratulate me for my Slovak all the time

I am British and will never have to learn foreign.

>Natives just act like you speaking their language isn't a big deal, like you're unimportant

Stop going in shitty touristic areas and visit real people; they will have true reactions/emotions with you. Too many tourists make people unaffected, unfortunately.

It's the last thing you have, British empire.
Say thanks to your across the Atlantic colony.

Then learn Slovene. We appreciate foreigners who speak our language. You don't even have to come to Slovenia since Slovenes live in Hungary.

Kind of but that's a very harsh way to say it. In my opinion he is saying that the large languages remain large, because non-native speakers bother to learn them but native speakers often think that their language is universal, because of some higher power. English hasn't always been the lingua franca. During the course of history people have communicated with Greece, Latin, German, French and other languages, so English's status is not eternal. For example if German speaking countries somehow gained more momentum in culture and IT, it would also affect the position of the language. It should also be noted that English is most relevant in Western countries. Elsewhere people don't often speak it.

Even the mighty will fall.

>Elsewhere people don't often speak it.
b-but the propaganda told me that "everyone speaks English"

In a region such as Europe it's practical that everyone speaks some common language, because there are a lot of different languages packed into a relatively small area.. Of the major European languages, English has the easiest grammar, so in a way it's natural that we speak English here. German could be a good alternative due to their industry. In my university they actually encourage students to study German, because of that reason.
But let's look at China or Japan for example. Those countries have so many people, strong culture, huge domestic markets, plenty of companies and so forth that many people just don't need English there.

>Of the major European languages, English has the easiest grammar, so in a way it's natural that we speak English here.
The propaganda is incredibly effective, it's unbelievable.

Well do you have a better language to offer as the common language?

Yes, but people usually insult you when you mention it.

Well if people don't like to speak it or have some negative connotations, it's not a very good option for a common language, is it?

But why? French hasnt been the koine in centuries

They view themselves as an equally important country and culture as the Anglos. In a way they are right but Anglo culture is at the moment the most relevant. Most popular culture is in English and the internet in mostly in English. But don't think that that will last forever. Common language changes by time.

I wonder what language will be the next lingua franca...Chinese ?

You don't impress people with their own language. you impress people with a different language than their own.

Easy example: a weeb who can actually read moon runes among his weeb friends.