/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example builds; click on the title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZkkDtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/PXyXKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/28W3r7
pcpartpicker.com/list/ksnGyf
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/P4YWHN
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CJTrZ8
amazon.com/gp/product/B0761P6MC7/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/j6wqGf
amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y47ZND5/?tag=pcp0f-21
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>G4560/G4600

What about it?

the only builds that matter for 1080p gaming and streaming:
$800 - pcpartpicker.com/list/ZkkDtJ
$1200 - pcpartpicker.com/list/PXyXKZ
$1600 - pcpartpicker.com/list/28W3r7

Is the 1070ti really gonna be the THING?
>streaming
Who the fuck does this? Why?

$$$

Good evening Sup Forumsents, I recently visited my parents and found my old desktop PC from 2010 was still in use. I thought it would be fun to upgrade it for as little money as possible, but was struggling to find a 2nd hand parts website that gave good pricing for obsolete components aside from eBay. I was thinking of upgrading the bad boy in pic related with an extra 4GB of DDR2 RAM, a spare 2TB HDD I had lying around and possibly a new CPU/Mobo/GPU if I had enough cash left over. Cex USA seems to be largely out of stock for DDR2 Ram and so I was hoping someone here would be able to suggest a good way to pick up old parts for cheap. Any tips? I checked Craigslist but didn't see much in the way of good deals

Nobody on Sup Forums is a monetized streamer.

Convince me to buy a 8700k over a 8600k.
>$100 for 2fps

All my VM's are on my server so the extra hyperthreaded "cores" won't do anything for me. Games still aren't taking advantage of more cores, let alone more threads.

i5 2500k --> i5 4670k --> i5 8600k

you're probably wrong. monetized streaming is easy.

ryzen > coffee lake

This kid has a better rig than you.
Explain yourself.

>all poozen

>open air case
I'm ok.

>4ghz wall
>IPC
No thanks bruh.

Watercooling a 1060?
I know it isn't necessary but I kinda just want to for shits and giggles.

Will the 1070 ti's fit the same bracket as 1070's?

Get x5460
Set fsb to 444
Vcore to 1.3725v
dram multiplier to 5:6
Enjoy.

>first build lacks an SSD
>third has a CPU that's good for rendering only

>poozen
There he goes again, isn't he just the funniest shill around.

will graphics cards eventually go the way of the dinosaur like sound cards?

Is it worth it right now to shell out the extra cash for a 1070. or is a 1060 6gb enough? I'm looking to do 1080p gaming, ultra settings 60fps

Don't bother with Ultra: use High. Yes, 1060 is enough

just wait™

Help me out, lads: pcpartpicker.com/list/ksnGyf

Not sure what card to get since I'm probably not doing anything more intensive than PUBG-tier games.

Also stuck on monitors; I'd like one to be for graphic design (IPS) and the other for gaming (TN), and I can't see myself putting mid-$1k down to get two 144 Hz IPS monitors.

Not for a while

Swap to i5 8400 then come back for advice

All my local stores are out of Coffee Lake processors. Don't see any 8400s available online.

Well, then what about the R5 1600?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/P4YWHN
Changed the case for quiet gayman build.
>change the monitor
its a placeholder really, I'm undecided. I do want 1440p/144hz though

Fair enough, I haven't researched Ryzen enough to make a judgment and went with a comfort pick in Intel. Price seems well-worth the performance in that chip.

>4k meme
games are made for 1080p. it will just show you how ugly the models and textures are

so soon i will be ditching hdmi mud tier race and joining display port god race what can i expect?

no

checked

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CJTrZ8

Why the downgrade to 1070? I was originally going to go with that + 1440/60hz but I thought I'd spoil myself and go to 144hz

1070 can do 60hz. 1080 can do 144. go with the equivalent 1080 from msi if u want 144

4K KEK CONFIRMED!

i literally run two 60 hz 1080p monitors but i can tell you from my experiments in downscaling that what you said is not true

Why msi specifically? Does it run significantly cooler/quieter?

no, he's an msi shill. always go with evga as they have the best customer support and will replace shit even without a warranty.

Aye pal that's why I had evga there already on gpu and psu. Good experience with them

>G4560/G4600
lol

msi is budget tier garbage mascarading as professional level shit

yup

Higher bandwidth and a cable lock

so what about the 144hz compatability?

Yeah that too just make sure that it is DP 1.4

Anyone getting a 0x20017 error when trying to update? I've tried everything except for a clean install (I'm lazy af) but no luck.

Am I fucked?

Should I do it?

What's a good size for a SSD that will only contain a Linux distro + any applications?

Yeah nah aye haha nah mate not galax

Is there any reason for me to go above a 1600X if I'm doing mostly gaming and audio production? And if I'm switching from Intel to AMD how many programs are going to require a reinstall because of the CPU change?

monitor page says ita 1.2 but then yhe questions section says 144hz work with display port so im not even sure whats going on

aww strooth mate

why not

Yeah 1.2 works, too.
But if your monitor had 1.4 then that would be better

hwre is the monitor in question i plan on getting two of them

amazon.com/gp/product/B0761P6MC7/

nope, and go with the 1600. same chips, but the 1600 comes with a cooler and is cheaper.

Would a Hyper 212 fit? Is not I'll go with the 1600

sorry mate was having dinner and couldn't write a proper response. The galax version is 669 on pcpartpicker. I don't know the brand in all honesty but I feel like they must be cutting corners to be $20 over the 1070s here (despite 1070 prices being a joke). Have a look online at issues and reviews of that specific card and decide if you think its a good idea.

i need a single slot gpu that supports 4k output on 3 screens. the cheapest option I've found so far is a radeon pro wx2100, is there a cheaper option?

logicalincrements is trustable right? Trying for the entry build

what are the chances black friday i can get a gtx 1070 or a 1080 for $300?

most people on Sup Forums trust it yes

are the example builds up to date?

>1080
>300 smackaroos
not a chance in hell or heaven above

Am I going to be hearing a 3.5" inside noise cancelling cases like the 300R?

seem fine to me but you can get ram cheaper

There was a 500+ thread filled with shitposting on another board, so I'll ask here. Is the 1060 3GB as shit as people say with how little vram it has?

Using Reaper with a 1600 here, works like a charm.

>And if I'm switching from Intel to AMD how many programs are going to require a reinstall because of the CPU change?

Maybe some VSTs for activation purposes?

>There was a 500+ thread filled with shitposting on another board
Sup Forums?

It's a good place to use if you have a very strict budget and you don't care about getting the best bang for your buck.

For example no one here would recommend the 1400 when you could get the 1600 for a little more and a whole lot more performance.

For best results, post your build here when it's done so people can pick it apart to make sure you aren't buying shit.

120 would be fine for most desktop uses.

>1080ti sli
>minecraft

capitalism isnt the problem

the 212 evo will fit.

Can confirm 120 will be good. I use a 120 and it's a bit small with windows and video games, but if you don't bother with those 120 will be just fine.

Kind of, it's had problems recently with gpu prices for example. It's a giod starting point. Make a build on pcpartpicker, post it here with your budget and usage (and screen resolution and refresh rate if you play video games), and we will tell you why you're a retard and your build is shit.

The vram is a problem, but you can work around it by tweaking settings (texture quality mostly). But it also has less processing units than the normal 1060, so it's slower overall.
At normal prices, it's a shit card. Since prices are still all over the place, it might be acceptable, but favour a 1060 6GB or a 580 if it's not a huge price difference.

Anyone wanna rate this build pls?
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/j6wqGf

looks good
people hate on msi and asrock boards but personally never had a problem with either

Should I just buy all the parts now? Or wait until black friday sales? I have no PC and getting bored. I already missed out on a sweet £200 deal on a 6GB 1060 because I wanted to wait for the sales, is it worth waiting?

I intend to upgrade my core hardware (mobo, GPU, CPU, RAM), however I have a bit of hesitation (it might be stupid, but better to ask before regretting something).

I have a configuration where I work on Linux, and have a gaming Windows VM set up. In that case, which CPU brand would be the better option, since Intel works better on gaems, and AMD works better on multi-threaded apps like VMs?

The savings is probably not worth waiting unless you plan on buying a big ssd and are looking for a good deal that you normally couldnt afford

Are you doing pass through GPU? Someone more knowledge can probably answer but in general the 8400 seems like a nice compromise of threads and gaming performance

I am waiting for new AMD APU because i am a cheapstake who play in 720P low setting at ~30FPS

>y-you can't buy it

AMD pajeets on suicide watch.

What's the lowest watt AMD CPU and also AMD GPU I can get that isn't way too outdated?

Not sure if this is an appropriate general, but are there any low-power dual-band wireless routers out there?

What do you guys think of these cards? I like the idea of pre blocked cards and the aesthetic is quite nice.

Also 8700k, does it reign supreme right now? I know you gotta delid them but still, after that what else is there to it?

Do you live off solar power or something?

No, I am just not an entitled americunt who thinks it's okay to destroy the environment

It's more your loss than ours.

amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y47ZND5/?tag=pcp0f-21

Anyone have experience with this board? Can it overclock?

just about everything you do taxes the environment - why don't you kill yourself?

Hahahahaha

You know it.
Alright. The 6GB version is a bit out of my price range thanks to inflated prices, though.

Right on bro!
reward yourself with some avo-on-toast today
Don't forget - the fats are healthy

Where to get a 1060 6GB for £200? Its not worth paying over £230, no matter what inflated prices may say.

>aesthetics
IDK man, what is that logo even supposed to be? It looks to me like a bird with a really buff arm getting ready to punch someone. Looks dumb to me.

>telling him to buy a card that can't even run years-old games like the Witcher 3 on max settings at 60fps
user, I...