Non-native English speakers, what was the hardest part of the language for you to learn?

Non-native English speakers, what was the hardest part of the language for you to learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Iwbn-s4ZZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

when to use a and when to use an

Adjective order. It's just so arbitrary.

Syntax, it's the most complicated part of any language if you ask me.

The tense system was have not really been to my likenings

What made it so tense?

Don't care, I never made a conscious effort to learn English

>what was the hardest part of the language for you to learn?

None of it, frankly.

>A is pronouced like E
>E like "I"
>"I" like ayyyy

Well that's easy it's just... uh
>realise I don't know the rules
>I just speak automatically.
Fuck.

in on at

I gave up on getting them always right.

in = inside of your mum
on = on top of the roof going to kill my self
at = at work going to kill my self

>de
>dem

What, exactly, is so hard about this? It works EXACTLY like:
>they
>them

6 ways to say what you did in the past. We only have perfect and imperfect verbs, and that seems enough.

pretty much this

that being said I still make the occasional syntax error and have a really thick Icelandic accent
pronouncing words "correctly" can be pretty difficult

nothing lol

"I" is the sound your mother makes when I plow her.
Just remember that.

Pronunciation and spelling. I still have problems with it. Not only you have an atrocious amount of vowel sounds, to make it worst you barely have any rule to determine or at least deduce when they're used. English would make good use of some ¨ or ¨ or ^.

Not him but it should be a. What's more, you write orgasms as "ah", not i. It's ridiculous.

Your mistakes make me want to punch you in the mouth.

I Lmaomarche gomez

you just have to learn all the etymologies since the germanic words are fairly consistent :^)

>pronouncing words "correctly" can be pretty difficult
This varies in all the anglo countries, don't even bother, they'll understand you unless they're an American.

pronounciation

though once i've learnt that every kind of native speaks differently i stopped giving a fuck

Actually I am pretty sure Spanish has the most limited vowel range out of all euro languages

in-on-at
to-for
a-the
this-that
these things are hard for me. (the?) tenses isn't as hard to (for?) learning as that (this?) shit

Picrelated. Also articles.

I've been struggling for years to say your retarded /r/ sound. Up to this day I can't pronounce it correctly, it sounds more like a /w/. At some point I'll give up and talk like Roger Rabbit

>this-that
almost interchangable
this = close, or in your posession
that = far away

>this-that
Этo и тo? Teбe нeпoнятнa кoнцпeция этих cлoв?

yea I've been to the UK a few times and Canada once and have never had any problems (except with chavs that speak """""""English""""""") since my English is fluent but the thick accent can be almost embarrassing

That's why you see the spaniards always complaining about this, more than anyone else. But anyways catalans have more vowels, use the same letters than spanish yet you can easily predict the sound of the letter.

Sad thing the percentage of germanic in english is ridiculous (for a language classified as germanic).

Awww pouh widdow belgian

also this = current
that = past

This picture is giving me PTSD

Your primitive language is easy for anyone who is not very lazy.

>(except with chavs that speak """""""English""""""")
Why were you talking with chavs?

Don't even worry, most native English speakers aren't multilingual and are very forgiving, unless they're racists then they're not worth your time.

articles, we frequently forgot to use them

Pretty much how I talk, although sometimes I try to fake a slight French accent just to use something that isn't a /w/ sound

We have no choice, you keep replying and replying.

>hardest part of the language for you to learn
Learning how to deal with bitchy English slags with that fucking horrdendous cockney accent that crave your cock and write down their number like a drunk retarded child was pretty diffcult

won't make that mistake again

>a-the

I'll explain it to you

"a" means a generic something
"the" means a specific something

Example:
I want a burger = you don't care what burger
I want the burger = you are referring to a specific burger and may reference the specific one in your next sentence

I think this is one thing that is universal among all grammars? From more general to more specific. "The big fat crazy black lady."

Six ways? The only past tenses of 'do', for example, I can think of are 'did' and 'done', with 'did' being for a singular subject pronoun and 'done' being for plural.

When I write, I usually miss 3/4 of either "a" or "the" that are needed. Also, fancy X-perfect-Y tenses annoy me. Otherwise English is grammatically pretty dumbed-down, it just takes time to build up vocabulary.

none it's really an easy language no wonder it's the native speech of americans

I thought grammar was hard until I started learning German. I was bitching about spelling for some time but later I got into Japanese... and got amazed how simple English writing rules really are. Then I thought "Oh, may be it's pronunciation, that should be the hardest part of English" but then I just glanced at French... you got the idea.

God, when my Vietnamese friend asked me about these, I realized I had no way to easily explain them. They are nice if you know how to use them, though. Much more precise.

Why can't yankes have good mass transit? D:

Yeah, I don't think English has the hardest anything, but it has moderately difficult everything. If you know what I mean.

>Sad thing the percentage of germanic in english is ridiculous (for a language classified as germanic).

Eh, numerically there are more Latin/Greek... but in regular speech and informal writing, the words of Germanic origin heavily predominate.

Time system

not morphology
English morphology is one of the simplest of all European languages

>I did
>I was doing
>I have done
>I had done
>I have been doing
>I had been doing

>will do
>will have done
>will be doing
>will have been doing

add modals

>will have to have done
>will have had to do
>will have had to be doing
>will have had to have done

etc.

The tenses, the word order (and all the syntax in general), the articles (i still don't know how to use them properly and where to put "a/an" and "the") and the prepositions.

You find all these things easy because English is the first (and probably the only) language, you learned in the childhood. You basically think in it, you can't understand how does it feel to study English when you already speak another language as native and it has completely different structure and vocabulary from English.

I was talking about the tenses describing the past though.

>in-on-at
Yeah, I had trouble too and I don't think I use them correctly 100% of the time.

>who whom
I used to know the difference, but since I rarely use whom I forgot.

Зaчeм двa paзных cлoвa, oбoзнaчaющих oднo и тo жe?

English isn't really hard at all, because it's so similar to modern Norwegian.

That said, try learning Ancient Greek or Finnish, and you'll get headaches from the grammar alone.

>when ivan wants his proofs but he has to check his tenses to ask

A before consonants and AN before vowels. Pretty easy to remember, in my opinion.

It was very easy desu

Этo - pядoм. To - дaлeкo.
B pyccкoм языкe дaжe ecть.

Probably this, it was a pain in the ass considering we only have three. The logic of the language is also odd in a lot of cases, there are a bunch of exceptions, etc.

Use "a" when the noun begins with a consonant
Use "an" when the noun begins with a vowel
Keep in mind these rules only apply to the spoken language. English orthography is the wackiest shit ever practiced, right up there with coffee enemas and crystal chakra healing

"An apple"
"An elephant"
"An organism"

"A tube"
"A sheet"
"A box"

Exactly like Italian "e" vs "ed".

Nun lernu vin esperanto, pleb.

I often use more the latin/greek ones even if they sound less natural because they're easier to remember to me.

Except because french pronunciation is easier since it's not random, just extensive.

I had never have problems, becauce i'am a expert

On, in, at

To, for

And also this

I have this opened at all times.

>english
>hard
wat?

>chekem

>be native English speaker
>grew up around Spanish speakers
>always say shit like "it's in the table"
>Not even CHI

>z

(the?) Usage of articles.
I've read a lot about this, but I still don't understand why do you use the definite article, or don't use an article at all in some cases.

This, I started learning it in kindergarten and had no problems.

articles, well I don't master them even now

Actually everything has been hard, I'm not gifted at all when it comes to learning foreign languages and English is completely different compared to Finnish, other Germanic or even Indo-European language speakers have it much easier because you can often translate sentences straight, world by world, the syntax being somehow similar

How did most of you learn English?

Vidya and school tbhmdf

English is easy compared to other languages but every language is hard to master. Also English has so many worlds and for me it has always been very hard to learn new ones, I sometimes need to translate a certain world like 10 times before it gets stuck in my head

Vidya, music and Sup Forums. No school.

Mom gave me a book when I was four or five and wrote exercises for me. That was enough for me get though eight years of primary school and four years of gymnasium without doing any actual work.

I still can't pronounce for shit. It sounds good in my head and then I ruin it by opening my mouth.

Internet, books, vidya, school

>Finnish is a Uralic language, and is typologically between fusional and agglutinative languages.
>Finnish verbs are inflected for person and number
>Adjectives in Finnish are inflected in exactly the same way as nouns
>Postpositions are more common in Finnish than prepositions.
>the second-person plural can be used as a polite form when addressing one person
>Each pronoun declines
>ordinal pronoun mones (nom.), monente- (oblique) [How manyeth]
>There aren't any articles, neither definite nor indefinite.

Seems pretty standard shit to be honest

>Finnish has fifteen noun cases

Absolute madmen

>Seems pretty standard shit to be honest

It's not standard shit at all. Agglutinative languages are rarer than you think.

it gets hard, because all the inflections are pretty random and depend on the type of the word
>Kotimaisten kielten tutkimuskeskus (KOTUS, officially translated as Research Institute for the Languages of Finland) lists 51 declension types for Finnish nouns, adjectives, pronouns, and numerals

h pronunciation I guess,which I wont bother to fix honestly, my accent is just too thick for me to even try at this point

School was just an extra incentive to learn it, so I could get a good grade somewhere
Helped me to get a decent understanding of grammar and I eventually got ahead of the classes and it got piss easy, not to say that the class was hard at any point, final exam is like 200-250 word text in basic english and you can pass it

also Finnish colloquial language differs from standard Finnish much more than white American colloquial language from the standard, and it's completely random

The hardest part is "to" and "for"
And pronounciation of french words which is more than 50% of english language
But wirds like "schafeur" i know its german
And "vehicle" vehiculim i used to pronounce it "vaikl"

>freeway
>trapped in your stationary vehicle

I speak one fluently and am learing another one, so I suppose that didn't stand out to me. Didn't realize they were uncommon. tfw rare

Yeah, fuck that. It's elegant if you know it already, but having to memorize declensions/inflections as an outsider is only pain, especially if the forms are irregular. Just use prepositions and leave your root words untouched fuggg

The thing that probably makes it hard for him is that it doesn't actually matter whether a word begins with a vowel or consonant, it's whether it begins with a vowel or consonant sound. For example, you would say "an hour" instead of "a hour", or "a European" instead of "an European"

I did
I was doing
I have done
I had done

You'll confuse them with active and passive voices.

nowadays it's a popular meme in Finland to inflect wrong because of all these dolan etc. things lol

youtube.com/watch?v=1Iwbn-s4ZZY

Phrasal verbs.

How the fuck does "make" mean, well, make, but "make out" mean kissing?